Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: mosquitos.....zzzzzzzzz!  (Read 16696 times)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
mosquitos.....zzzzzzzzz!
« on: May 15, 2014, 12:11:05 PM »
Are the Mozzie busters out and about yet? a couple of weeks ago somebody said they hadn't been seen probably due to the switch over after elections.....since then Kalkan has had a fair bit of rain and this as we know brings the little blighters out...Will I be wazzling them with my Flippen Floppen like a whirling Dervish or smelling like a petrol forecourt? ::)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12086.0
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: mosquitos.....zzzzzzzzz!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 12:24:54 PM »
I was thinking the same BL...plus have the olive flies been and gone..?
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline sukiliz

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 02:14:58 PM »
Mozzie Buster out and about at Kalamar late last night

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 05:44:20 PM »
I have clicked you a thank you for cheering me up!!...Huzzah for Mozzie men!..hip hip hooray!! ;)

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 06:29:44 AM »
I have seen the mozzie men out quite a few times recently - thank goodness

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 09:40:01 AM »
We were there end April to 10 May and only got 2 bites on next to last day (done at the same time so 1 mosi I think). That was without mosi repellent and I usually get bitten to bits.

Offline riodog

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 11:31:27 AM »
I have been out here for the past week with no real problem.

Offline Lucy Lou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 12:12:32 PM »
I've been in Kalkan since 02:20 Tuesday morning.  I have worn no perfume, had the mosi-tablet on in my room every night, worn repellent, ate enough garlic to keep a hoard of vampires away and take vit B religiously.  I had 1or 2 bites by Tues evening ?! (before I even went out) and currently have the itchiest most inflamed set of bites I've had in along time.

Trying one of those electronic zappers to take itch away but not working.  Even anti-histamine cream only relieving for brief period so I think it's on to the big guns of a daily anti-histamine tablet.  It's usually further in to the holiday before I need to resort to them.   ??? :'(

And no Avon SOS doesn't work for me, I did live in hope one year.  I tell myself it'd be worse if I did nothing.

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 06:20:37 PM »
Lucy Lou - you seem to have tried about everything.

I fear the only thing left is a total blood transfusion to change your blood group.  Or a bone marrow transplant!!

I'll bet you're group 'O'?
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 07:08:04 AM »
Lucy Lou, poor you.  I know the feeling well.  We were out in April, and I had at least 15 of the little blighters bite me! so painful, I got some gel from the chemist which as you say works for a while, my advice is try not to itch them, I am left with 5 scars from doing just that a month or so ago! I think some people are just prone to them, my OH got none! Have you tried the Mozi wipes, they are quite good for taking out in the evening.  Hope they get better soon.

Jayne

Offline Lucy Lou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 10:51:38 AM »
Thanks for the sympathy folk.  I'm beginning to wonder if they're something besides mozzies as wind usually keeps them away.  New crop (really big red lumps) appeared I think from day time on a Kekova boat trip ?!  ???

Think I'll get stilex (the green gel from a pharmacy) as that seems to work for the itch when nothing else does.

Still it's a price I'm willing to pay for sunny foreign holidays as it's not confined to Kalkan.  What I wouldn't be prepared to do is suffer Scottish midge bites in cool, rainy conditions.  Sorry Scotland  :P

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 10:53:53 AM »
Dear Blue Lizard

Have to report the the"May Flies" have arrived . shortly before 1pm today! itch itch, scratch scratch!  >:( :laugh:

Offline Lucy Lou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 11:02:49 AM »
Chris_S,

I think I am.  Is that universal donor ?  Must be then as I'm selfless to fault  :angel: (don't think they have a tongue in cheek emoticon to follow that but ROTFL)

Samson,

I thought olive flies only bite scalps or is that a myth?

An increasingly lumpy Lucy Lou x

Offline Faywray

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 12:18:28 PM »
I used to be breakfast, lunch and dinner for every biting beastie there was when I was on holiday. Nowadays I take antimalarials for a medical condition, unrelated to beastie bites and the wee blighters don't touch me. Not sure if there is something in the meds that puts them off as well as the other bits but I can now enjoy bite free holidays. My partner, on the other hand, gets a few but they swell right up into huge lumps. Antihistamines have been packed for this year.
As for the Scottish midge - I have always been immune but I am from Thurso on the north coast and we breed our midgies for the tourists  ;).

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 01:02:02 PM »
Lucy Lou..Wind usually keeps them away?? :o.. Let me know when you are out and about so I can get out of the way of your wind :-\

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 01:30:36 PM »
I'm A+ blood group and I'm always bitten to excess, so not sure about the blood group thing....
I tend to get bitten at the market, what bites me there? Or on Lucy Lou's boat trip? It cant be a mosquito can it...? Lucy Lou have you tried Off Max (its in an orange can) bit more expensive than Off but its the only thing that's worked for me in Kalkan and to get rid of the horrible huge red lumps HC45 which we bring from home. I've tried every remedy known to man and nothing but nothing works other than Deet - lots of it and the higher the content the better. Yes it may take your nail varnish off in the process and should probably be banned but the blighters don't like it :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2014, 01:51:06 PM »
We use    "Repel 100"  (available On E Bay and amazon) very oily so find putting on with a wipe is easiest way but it is as good as anything we have tried.As with all things like this follow instructions regarding watches,plastics, leather etc ;)

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2014, 03:50:42 PM »
Lucy lou.

they love scalps best but they are quite happy with hairy chests and backs as well!  :'(

Offline LancashireLass

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
  • I long for the day when I return to Kalkan
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2014, 07:27:12 AM »
Hi,  roll on the 14th of June when we arrive, we are a week later this year and I was wondering what the state of the pesky Olive Flies will be, my other half scalp last year looked liked it had been attacked by small pins, Mozzies I can handle Olive Flies I detest.  I also noted that someone mentioned Avons Skin So Soft, I'm giving it a go this year I have have heard its very good but it has to be the original not the scented, I have to admit do feel a little nervous and I just may have the Jungle extra strength on hand just in case.

J xxxxx

Ps very very excited to be returning to Kalkan. ;D
Janie Q

Offline LancashireLass

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
  • I long for the day when I return to Kalkan
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 07:30:01 AM »
Hi,  roll on the 14th of June when we arrive, we are a week later this year and I was wondering what the state of the pesky Olive Flies will be, my other half scalp last year looked liked it had been attacked by small pins, Mozzies I can handle Olive Flies I detest.  I also noted that someone mentioned Avons Skin So Soft, I'm giving it a go this year I have have heard its very good but it has to be the original not the scented, I have to admit do feel a little nervous and I just may have the Jungle extra strength on hand just in case.

J xxxxx

Ps very very excited to be returning to Kalkan. ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Mosquitos

Started by AlbionFan on General Discussion

24 Replies
Last post July 24, 2012, 04:25:27 AM
by MartynE
xx
mosquitos

Started by michelle from newcastle on General Discussion

30 Replies
Last post May 05, 2013, 10:05:36 AM
by LancashireLass
xx
Mosquitos!!!

Started by Mustafa Raki on General Discussion

21 Replies
Last post July 20, 2008, 10:58:52 AM
by Em1
xx
Re: Spraying -mosquitos

Started by MartynE on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2013, 07:26:47 PM
by amber

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal