Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Plans for the Harbour  (Read 4089 times)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Plans for the Harbour
« on: February 04, 2014, 11:35:21 AM »
Very thought provoking and measured piece on KTLN today regarding the plans for the harbour.
www.turkishlocalnews.com

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11833.0
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Plans for the Harbour
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 12:06:05 PM »
Yes I've just read it. It's certainly helped me to understand why these plans have been put in place. I hope the architects manage to balance the need for a harbour area that is usable and accessible for everyone without having to pay for a drink to enjoy the views and still retain the quaint charm that is there now.
Really  hope that mussaka and fener don't go though. I wonder what the plans are for the area where aubergine and trio etc are now? Will those restaurants manage to stay?i couldn't really tell from the plans.

Offline brian j p

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 10:27:47 PM »
the article on KTLN is simply excellent . It is  informative, balanced  and gets right to the point or should I say points,  I agree with everything they  and the architects say

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 04:49:52 AM »
The challenge is to retain the specialness (is that a word) and charm of Kalkan.
Make the harbour a place that everyone can enjoy.Not to create a concrete jungle and ensure that whatever is done is properly maintained, summer and winter afterwards.
Its a lovely village and not a holiday camp!!
The architects are good and I love the buildings they have renovated.They live in one of those and have worked hard to retain its original character whilst moving with the times.
I still have lots of reservations about the new plans but I suppose its clouded by things like the gully from the town to the beach,the planning and workmanship of the road works and the belidiyes ability to maintain any new harbour layout on an ongoing basis - time will tell.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 08:04:24 AM »
Amber have to agree with you there. We sat on the harbour area yesterday morning in the brilliant sunshine & just took in what is there now & what the planners have in mind. The harbour area has become a bit of an unkept jungle over the years with the restaurants stealing more & more of the area, in some cases making it rather unpleasant to even have a quiet walk down there, even yesterday we were cornered for "taking a drink with us" call. It does need to be tidied up & appreciate the planners thoughts.  The beach yesterday was occupied by many dogs & there was a large amount of dog mess over the area, there were families on the beach as it is a school holiday here, so not a healthy area to be on really. Kalkan is not just a tourist town, it is the home to a great many people both Turkish & foreigners.

The main thing is keeping it as they have in mind, the maintaining of it all year round, perhaps coming under Kas will make a difference but that will only happen if whoever is 'in the chair' in Kas is the right person.  Kas harbour area always seems clean & tidy even in the winter months, Fethiyes new area seems to be the same.

Time will tell....................... Lets get the roads dealt with first.     
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 10:16:06 AM »
I do agree with everything that has been said on the forum so far, and after reading the excellent report by KTLN, I have a far greater understanding of, and sympathy with the plans. The architects seem to have a great deal of local credibility, and I hope with my heart that if the project goes ahead, the outcome is an enhancement rather than an eyesore.

It is interesting though, that even the architects themselves have reservations about the execution and on-going maintenance of the scheme, over which they have little or no control, and cannot be held responsible. They say in the KTLN report:

'When it comes to the implementation of the project, honestly again we have similar concerns to those expressed by KTLN readers.  This part is out of the control of the architects, unless supervised by them, and the process will be defined by relevant laws about construction tenders.

However what we can do is to keep monitoring the process and try to intervene where necessary. These interventions will have more strength if the public also owns the project and aims to prevent any applications opposing the project's decisions.  For this reason, our urban design proposal has been discussed in four open public meetings, promoting various perspectives.  As far as I remember, there were no English people present, probably because they had not been informed.'

So it looks as if we are all expected and encouraged to play a part by having some 'ownership' of the scheme, and it would be great to have a process or a vehicle through which public opinion could be represented. I'm sure we all have our own personal wish list for the new project, but here is mine:

- Transparent and fair tender process for the construction works.

- Absence of any of the Butlin-esque playground equipment which currently blights the conservation area by the olive groves on the gulley pathway to the beach.

- Professional horticulturalists involved in the planting and maintenance of trees and shrubs in the 'green spaces' - unlike the current neglected area behind the beach.

- Benches that are made out of wood, rather than the Coca Cola-sponsored benches seen elsewhere in the town.

- Ban on scooter boys using the public areas in front of the restaurants as a racing track.

- Regulation of street 'hawkers' - by this I don't mean the well-known local figures who might wander from bar to bar with a basket of nuts - rather the opportunist mobile stalls which I saw in the old town last summer selling flashing headwear and other gimmicks that wouldn't be out of place on Blackpool's Golden Mile.

- Daily sweeping and hosing down of the extensive public plazas to remove dog ends and dog mess.

- Daily emptying of public bins.

If these ambitious plans are to go ahead, the execution and on-going maintenance of the project are critical to its success.

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 11:37:16 AM »
I know when Bri was in hospital in Fethiye last year I spent a fair bit of time walking into town along the walkway. It has been done beautifully bars etc but not in your face and wooden seating some covered for shelter from the sun. It was lovely to sit down and watch the gullets come and go and I'm sure if Kalkan is done to the same standard there will be no probs. it really was a pleasant place to stroll along.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 06:43:48 PM »
Here's hoping your right joycie! Christina......I would go along with your wish list. If this is done right it could provide a lovely area to walk and watch the boats.......if not done sympathetically it could be an eyesore!

Offline kags

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 08:59:43 AM »
Thanks plans are thought provoking,I have holidays in Kalkan twice a year for over 15 year's, and parts of the harbour area have become over run with restaurants.
As for the new public areas maintaining them must be a high priority.......or.......They will become a dogs toilet for street dogs and owned dogs alike ......just as the beach area and gardens behind the beach are and will be for years to come unless controls are made and enforced.......I now avoid these areas as a result of the dirt and dogs.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Harbour plans

Started by Babs on General Discussion

126 Replies
Last post May 20, 2015, 05:39:00 AM
by kevtamuk
xx
Kas plans dog slaughter

Started by Linda on Other Resorts

56 Replies
Last post October 15, 2009, 10:18:39 AM
by itstime
xx
A Week in October - the plans

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

31 Replies
Last post October 09, 2010, 11:55:18 AM
by fitwenchdidyell
xx
harbour

Started by Babs on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

7 Replies
Last post August 05, 2011, 03:15:39 PM
by Babs

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kaputas

Views: 3322
By: itstime
Tomato Lady at Ucagiz