Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: 'Out of season' in Kalkan...weather etc....5th Nov until 10th Dec...  (Read 45206 times)

Offline pattaya

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: 'Out of season' in Kalkan...weather etc....5th Nov until 10th Dec...
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2013, 08:40:13 PM »
Hi
loving your updates onelove cant wait to come back.
We are Coming over for New Years Eve I love kalkan out of season, as you get to see the real Kalkan..
We was lucky with the weather last year, and spent most afternoons down at fenner Just people watching.
how are all the road works going ?
P

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2013, 07:23:41 AM »
In a word pattaya, slowly  :)

Tuesday.......another lovely warm sunny morning, albeit there us a little cloud about  :o

Now going to crack on and get this bloody gardening finished today....my back is agony  :'(

Wife made me feel great yesterday as I was balanced on top of a wall above one of the planters.....'be careful up there, your no spring chicken you know'....cheers love  ::)
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2013, 06:04:50 AM »
Wed....another bright sunny morning here in Kalamar Bay  8)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Freeezing cold here...thick frost last night...rain today and weather says snow is moving down the country....prepare for chaos if we have 1/2" ::) ....it was when I felt the cold I was suddenly panic stricken! birthday coming up and Christmas..mmmmm! just hope no one gets me a Onesie! I would look like a Tellytubby ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2013, 02:33:29 PM »
Ahhhhh, feel sorry for you BL.....today was one of the hottest/warmest days since we got back here just over 2 weeks ago :-))). It's now a beautiful calm, warm evening, just watching 4 fishing boats phut phutting (can't spell) their way back into the harbour...bliss  ;)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
Yes you may be in paradise....but you haven't got pork pies in your fridge!! >:D >:D

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2013, 04:05:54 PM »
Your right on both counts,  yes we are in paridise and know, no Pork Pies in the fridge 'cause I've eat them all  ;) 8) ;)

Offline Anne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
    • Towers House Kalkan
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2013, 05:29:55 PM »
Paradise is proving a bit difficult in the old town where we are. Because of the road works, unfortunately a worker was injured cutting through an electric cable, for safety reasons the electricity is being switched off each day (9.00 am to 4.00 pm) and this morning the water was off too.  If rumour is right this will be a daily occurrence for a while, certainly the case for the last 2 days.  Seriously affecting some businesses, e.g. the barber and the roads being up means everything is shut up on the affected roads.   Still it is not raining or cold.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
I've seen the pictures of the old town on KTLN....methinks it is going to be messy and dangerous when it rains ::)

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
I have been following your blog with great interest (not jealous of course!).   How have you been managing moving around the old town with all the disruptions?  The pictures on KTLN today certainly made walking look difficult, if not impossible, on a few of the roads.   I do feel for the businesses where they are trying to keep open out of season.

It is particularly good, onelove, to have your blog during what is usually a very quiet time on the forum. 

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2013, 10:20:17 PM »
I'm no engineer, but might it not have been a good idea to have completed one stretch of road at a time, rather than reduce the whole town to rubble? Won't be much fun for the holidaymakers at Christmas (I hear the Pirat Hotel is fully booked). Plus - although I understand all the good reasons for the resurfacing - I can't help but wonder if they are destroying some of the old ramshackle charm of Kalkan that many of us fell in love with. Those ancient, worn streets are gone forever. Let's hope their replacement with the new safer stone blocks does not detract from the town's unique character.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2013, 08:44:16 AM »
My thoughts exactly Christina! I feel torn between feeling sad about losing the lovely worn, ramshackle look and being overjoyed that I will no longer slip at least three times each time I walk about the town!  :laugh:

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2013, 05:41:18 PM »
I've seen the pictures of the old town on KTLN....methinks it is going to be messy and dangerous when it rains ::)

Your not wrong BL, we had a little stroll around the old town this afternoon and imho it's a right mess, loads of roads just dug up with rubble everywhere, electric cables cut here & there and just left exposed, drainage pipes smashed & the hissing sounds of escaping water, on the plus side there was no danger of getting in the workers way as there were none  ???  I dread to think what it will be like if/when we get heavy rain   :o

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2013, 05:52:31 PM »
I'm no engineer, but might it not have been a good idea to have completed one stretch of road at a time, rather than reduce the whole town to rubble? Won't be much fun for the holidaymakers at Christmas (I hear the Pirat Hotel is fully booked). Plus - although I understand all the good reasons for the resurfacing - I can't help but wonder if they are destroying some of the old ramshackle charm of Kalkan that many of us fell in love with. Those ancient, worn streets are gone forever. Let's hope their replacement with the new safer stone blocks does not detract from the town's unique character.

I know what you mean Chris when you refer to the 'unique character' but I think it's a job that needs doing all the same and if they are using, as I suspect, stone sets, I'm sure they will look great and won't be anywhere bear as slippery 

This was the sort of work I used to do, so I know if a contractor is allowed to sequence his own programme this is what will happen, just dig the lot up first, it's a cheaper & more cost effective way of doing things, not right, but as I said cheaper  . I can't see any of it been ready for Xmas   

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2013, 05:55:36 PM »
I have been following your blog with great interest (not jealous of course!).   How have you been managing moving around the old town with all the disruptions?  The pictures on KTLN today certainly made walking look difficult, if not impossible, on a few of the roads.   I do feel for the businesses where they are trying to keep open out of season.

It is particularly good, onelove, to have your blog during what is usually a very quiet time on the forum. 

So pleased to read your enjoying my posts tortoise lady :-)))

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2013, 05:58:39 PM »
The streets in the old town have been resurfaced many times over recent years,a bit here and a bit there so none of the roads are historic just a big mess! I understand its only the main roads that are being done this year.

We are having trouble walking around the town and some days you have to do a massive detour.Every day is different and a road that is passable one day isnt the next.We too asked why they didnt do one bit at a time but the need for changing pipes and cables made this impossible.Luckily our electric hasnt been off every day.It is quite amazing to see what has been just a couple of inches under our feet!!! I hope all the workmen are being paid danger money!

Well, we just have to make the best of it.My wellies are out ready for tomorrow morning.I pity the business people who wanted to stay open this winter but have closed due to lack of customers and roads!! Things can only get worse as they havent dug up my street yet!! The completion date is April (I think) not christmas thats for sure!!

I can hear thunder.............

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2013, 06:21:05 PM »
Thursday....another lovely warm sunny day mixed with a bit of cloud cover.

We had to laugh this afternoon. We went for a late ish lunch @ Ali Baba's (soup kitchen) and as we walked in we were offered one of the tables not under cover/no shade/outside, so in the sun, we decided we would rather sit inside out of the sun while we ate, as soon as we had sat down a Local man dressed in a big leather jacket with a scarf wrapped around his neck and nearly covering his mouth sat at the table we had just refused saying it was to cold to sit "Out of the Sun"  ;)

19:30..... We have a splattering of rain with lighting but no thunder as yet, the wind is starting to pick up, looks like we may be in for a bit of a storm, hope so, I love it when there's a storm  ;). It's very mild tonight   :P. I dread to think what the road works, or should I say the harbour, will look like in the morning if we get a lot of rain tonight  :o

Still not quite finished the gardening, I forgot about the planter down at the games room level, hopefully not a lot of work, a few hours top whack, I will endeavour to get it finished tomorrow, depending on the weather....next year we are getting a gardener  ;)

Footnote : it's light at approx 06:25 in the morning, the sun is out by 07:15 and setting behind the mountain at 16:15 and it's dark by 17:20ish.

Onelove.

Offline Anne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
    • Towers House Kalkan
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2013, 06:24:13 PM »
Well the electric came back on at 5.45 pm, thought they had forgotten to switch it back on, off since 9.00 am.  Got up early to take advantage of the power, washing machine on (sadly it was 2 mins from the end when to power went off)  electric saw lopping branches ( halfway through the last branch when the cut came).  All a bit difficult and not only can I hear thunder but also the rain!

Offline pattaya

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2013, 09:03:36 PM »
Oh dear starting to wonder if ive done the right thing by booking to come out at new year !
Is cardiac hill still open so you can get down to the harbour ?

P

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2013, 04:11:06 AM »
Hi pattaya,

It's just the old town that's, sort of, 'out of bounds'. Cardiac Hill, the harbour road, the main road leading to the two roundabouts and kalamar road are all open, so Still plenty of restaurants/shops to keep you interested, so don't worry I'm sure you will still have a fab time  ;)

Not sure how heavy the rain was last night  ??? (slept like a baby) , I hope things are ok in the old town....power etc   ???

05:30 Friday morning.....a light rumbling of thunder, lighting & very very light rain  :(

I'm up early watching the Ashes  8)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Weather - 27th July - 10th August

Started by Leigh on Weather

1 Replies
Last post May 19, 2009, 01:42:24 PM
by Vieux con
xx
SHARE A TRANSFER ON MON 10TH JUNE

Started by shasbas on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post June 06, 2013, 08:53:48 AM
by shasbas
xx
Antler's Holiday - Day 10 - Sept 10th

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

10 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 11:45:03 AM
by Blue Lizard
xx
Looking for Villa in Town 10th-15th Oct

Started by tonybee on Accommodation and Hotels

0 Replies
Last post August 19, 2014, 08:04:43 AM
by tonybee

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal