Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Weather => Topic started by: onelove on November 05, 2013, 11:33:06 AM

Title: 'Out of season' in Kalkan...weather etc....5th Nov until 10th Dec...
Post by: onelove on November 05, 2013, 11:33:06 AM
Hi all,

As promised here is an 'Out of Season' report(s) from Kalkan.

Woke up to cloudy skies but only temp as the sun arrived at approx 10'o Clock, it's now 13:15 and easy warm (hot) enough to sunbath and take a dip in the pool, as the people just below us are doing  ;). Def shorts & t-shirt weather. Very very light breeze.

We arrived last night and are not going back to the uk until 10th Dec.....lucky us   ;D

Now time to go shopping, then lunch, only problem is where shall we go, Mmmmm, Fener sounds good to me, a safe bet that Never disappoints.

I read on KTLN that there is going to be Lots of road works going on this winter, I will report on this after I have had a chance to investigate. At the end of the Kalamar Road just as it makes a sharp left turn the road works have already begun, the road is been widened, it's good news as ( for those that know this part of Kalamar) it has always been a tight turn, more so when there is traffic coming the other way.

Cheers onelove.   
Title: Re: 'Out of season' in Kalkan...weather etc....5th Nov until 10th Dec...
Post by: kalkan4eva on November 05, 2013, 12:34:57 PM
fab....
looking forward to your "thoughts from abroad..."
Enjoy  :)
Post by: Babs on November 05, 2013, 01:07:24 PM
Shorts and t shirt sounds amazing! I was wearing my new fur lined hood 'parka' this morning.....felt quite young and trendy until I discovered the security tag had been left in!  :laugh: :laugh:
Post by: hobbo on November 05, 2013, 03:35:52 PM
Just had what will probably be the last swim of the season in our pool... refreshing! weather is absolutely gorgeous, temp drops with the sun so by 5pm you do need a sweatshirt / jumper but we have eaten outside each night so far (arrived 2nd Nov )
Post by: Kalkan regular on November 05, 2013, 04:05:50 PM
Thanks for the update.....it's pouring down here!
Post by: onelove on November 05, 2013, 05:34:13 PM
Just had a lovely meat @ ata, time 18:25, 60tl for 2 of us, both stuffed, sat outside in shorts & t-shirt, just like our waiter   8)
Post by: pw on November 05, 2013, 05:45:31 PM
I deduce from this that onelove is harder than hobbo!  ;D

pw
Post by: onelove on November 05, 2013, 05:50:55 PM

pw

Harder who knows, but maybe hardier !!!
Post by: Rachey on November 05, 2013, 06:42:30 PM
 Brilliant Onelove - thanks for providing me with my Kalkan "fix"  :laugh:

Freezing cold in Edinburgh this morning - very frosty and -3 degrees  ::)
Post by: brian j p on November 05, 2013, 07:09:08 PM
7  deg  here in Leeds at  moment,  will probably fall to 2 deg overnight ,  but my soul is warming up rapidly as I read these posts
Post by: onelove on November 05, 2013, 07:29:03 PM
Just came in (21:25) from my (weird so the wife says !) star gazing hour, still in shorts & t-shirt, Very mild. Now ready to watch Utd.......onelove !
Post by: onelove on November 06, 2013, 05:36:40 AM
07:10 Wed 6th Nov, Kalamar Bay bathed in sunshine  ;)
Post by: Babs on November 06, 2013, 08:14:08 AM
I could be changing my mind about out of season posts,they are making me sad!  :( 8.13 and grey clouds and drizzle over Kent! ::)
Post by: DRBD on November 06, 2013, 08:45:43 AM
Don't worry Babs the early sunshine here in Kalkan has turned cloudy & its blowing hard now, perhaps rain afterall but it's still warm ;)
Post by: hobbo on November 06, 2013, 09:39:05 AM

pw

Harder who knows, but maybe hardier !!!

have to admit I was wrong about the jumper.. ended up discarding it last night and finished the evening sitting out in short sleeves as did Mrs Hobbo.

Post by: onelove on November 06, 2013, 01:01:27 PM
14:45 local time and we have brilliant Sunshine, albeit, there are a few clouds about, just about to go lie on a sunbed  for a couple of hours 8) ;) 8)

We popped into town for a walk, sat at Coast for a couple of drinks, meet Mr & Mrs Hobbo on their way to Fener for lunch. Coast is staying open during the winter which is Good news. It's Mussakka's last night tonight so we are going there for dinner, another restaurant that Never disappoints.

Post by: hobbo on November 06, 2013, 09:34:34 PM
Ok so after a fabulous lunch at Fener we made our way back to the harbour for an evening at Mussakka, their last evening for the season, for info I was wearing short sleeves and linen trousers, and had just ordered our meals when I was shocked to see onelove upstaging me in his fliplops shorts and tee-shirt. OK he wins!
Great food and great company again, and thanks Peter for the lift back. 8) 8) 8)

Post by: Lynne T on November 07, 2013, 07:47:47 AM
I am loving the clothes battle with my morning cuppa , but we all know men are hardy so what are your ladies wearing and we might need to know colours and style  :)
Lynne
Post by: onelove on November 07, 2013, 07:57:18 AM
As Hobbo says we had a fab night in Mussakka last night + great company  ;)

Not so bright this morning, 100% cloud cover, but still Very mild. I just felt a spot of rain as I swept the terrace, maybe more rain later >:(

Was out at 08:10 for a walk into town and back. I really don't know what some of the locals think of us, walking dressed in shorts & t-shirt while most of them are dressed for Winter, coats, hats even seen one with a scarf on  :o

Another walk into town later to go to the market to buy some bits for the kitchen, then a chicken kebab for lunch from the van that parks up opp the market...delish  ;)
Post by: Lizilu20 on November 07, 2013, 11:01:09 AM
Thanks for starting this thread onelove. It's certainly keeping me entertained. Just wish I was there to contribute  :(
Enjoy your time in Kalkan and be sure to keep the updates coming and let us know what life in out of season Kalkan is like.  :)
Post by: onelove on November 07, 2013, 12:36:16 PM
14:30. The clouds never went away so No sun today  :'(. Albeit, it is still very mild with, one moment no wind, then out of nowhere it gets Very gusty, not strong enough to cause any damage but quite strong all the same.

We called in to the market and to be honest it was not worth the effort as there was hardly any (decent) stalls and even fewer punters, it just goes to show how much Kalkan and it's people depend on tourism  :o. Had a very tasty chicken kebab from the 'van' for lunch and eat it sat on the plastic seats.....still in my shorts & t-shirt  8)

Night in tonight, lunch with friends @ Fener tomorrow after noon, fingers crossed as the weather is forecast to be 26c with plenty of sunshine  ;)
Post by: Blue Lizard on November 07, 2013, 01:51:05 PM
I was sat watching the Turkish people in the Kebab caravan opposite the market in june...there were that many rammed into it it reminded me of an episode of Father Ted!! ;D
Post by: onelove on November 07, 2013, 02:07:58 PM
Haha, thinking about it there were 5 working from the van today....more staff than customers  8)
Post by: suziq on November 07, 2013, 04:40:17 PM
Loving the updates. Snow on the A9 today heading south to Glasgow from Inverness and now hail battering on the window. How I wish I was still there! Enjoy and keep us updated and jealous.
Post by: onelove on November 08, 2013, 05:48:40 AM
06:25 Friday 8th.

As forecast we have blue skies with lovely sunshine here in Kalamar Bay. Temp is set to get up to 25/26c. Really looking forward to having lunch on the terrace @ Fener....happy days  8)

Now time to sweep the terrace and clean the pool, then breakfast on the bedroom terrace...... where are my sun glasses   ;)  8) ;)
Post by: onelove on November 09, 2013, 05:34:29 AM
Yesterday morning.....on our way into town walking down the Kalamar Rd I said to the wife there seems to be a Lot more estate agents than a few months ago so walking back up the KR I decided to count them....there are 21 of them, really can't see there could poss be enough business for all of them when you think there must be twice that about in town...60ish in total, crazy  :o :o :o. As well as EA's on the KR there are now 19 places where you can eat / drink.....there were only 8 (all hotels) 6 years ago, oh how Kalkan is growing !

Had quick cup of tea when we got back then decided it was time to sort out (weed/ cut back) the planters, thought it would take a couple of hours, well, 3 hours later( and a lot of sweat) I had only finished 25% of it! and not even removed all the debris ( I can see it from where I'm sitting now been blown about in the wind, oh s**t I wished I had moved it yesterday  >:)

Yesterday afternoon.......had a lovely lunch @ Fener, 4 mains, 4 coke's, a large bottle of water, comp bread & dips all for the pricey sum of 94tl/£28.83 or £7.21 each, amazing value. While we were having lunch we had to move into the shade as it was to hot in the direct sun  :o , is it really Nov  8).  Fener was fairly busy, must of been at least 30 people.

So No walking today, instead we are going to finish the gardening, that's a good enough workout trust me  ;)

Today.......another beautiful morning as I write this (07:10) with a cloudless Blue sky and bright sunshine, albeit, it's a tad windy, not that I'm complaining  :angel:

4 of us have arranged to go to one of the Trout farms on Sunday ( late afternoon, early evening ) then after we have eaten we are going to drive up to Islamlar village to take in the stars/night sky, I have been told it's stunning....can't wait  ;)

Onelove.
Post by: amber on November 09, 2013, 05:49:03 AM
Its certainly a lovely morning in Kalkan - Happy gardening OneLove
Post by: Kalkan Magic on November 09, 2013, 11:55:35 AM
Sounds wonderful onelove, wouldn't mind the breeze if the sun was shining. Enjoy Islamlar.
Post by: Lola1 on November 09, 2013, 02:58:46 PM
Is it usually this good weather wise in November? Seems to be the restaurant/ bar owners may be missing a trick by closing down over Winter...?
Also, I wonder if you would agree with my perception about Kalkan's growth in recent years. There has been a lot of debate about whether or not the town is changing/ losing its charm etc. Some people feel that it is becoming too crowded/ touristy (remember the "Veronica's strip in Tenerife" discussion on TA that got quite heated?) and others say that it hasn't changed much at all...well, I felt that most of the changes and developments had taken place along the Kalkamar Road which, for me, has a completely different feel and atmosphere to the old town which seems pretty much unchanged from one year to the next. Would anyone agree? Just for the record, I'm a devotee of Kalkan's charms and hope to be for a few years yet!
Post by: onelove on November 09, 2013, 03:32:41 PM
I think the weather in Nov can be Very changeable in general, yes, it's been lovely so far but can just as easy be wet and not as hot so very hard for business's to judge.

Yes I agree the old town has not changed that much, as for the Kalamar Rd having more bars/restaurants than a few years ago, I think this is a good thing, more choice is good in mho, and it's hardly like a "strip"  ;)
Post by: onelove on November 09, 2013, 03:34:25 PM
I meant to add that the sunset tonight is Stunning, picture postcard comes to mind  :)
Post by: Kalkan regular on November 09, 2013, 05:54:23 PM
I think the reason businesses close at the end of October is related to the end of package flights to dalaman and reduction consequently in tourist numbers, rather than the weather.
Post by: onelove on November 09, 2013, 06:04:03 PM
I think your right KR, albeit, good weather, if it was guaranteed, would help.
Post by: onelove on November 09, 2013, 06:39:01 PM
We decided not to do our walk this morning, but instead crack on with the gardening, got started at 8:30 thinking we would get it all finished today, well, no chance, still 50% to do, stopped (knackered) at 1:30, but still had 13 bags of debris to take to the bin, that done we flopped out on sunbeds until 3:45, it was really warm/ hot....lovely  ;)

Now we have decided if the weather is set fine we will walk in the mornings and chill out in the afternoon, if the weather is forecast not so good we will finish the gardening....the next 3 days are forecast to be good so looks like the garden is going to have to wait  ;D ;) ;D

Also Islamlar is going to have to wait until Monday or Tuesday as I forgot that Utd v Arse kicks off @ 18:30 here on Sunday evening so I would of missed the game if we went to Islamlar/Trout farm tomorrow and that is Not an option  >:D......don't know how I ever found time to go to work, it's a tough life  >:D >:D >:D
Post by: onelove on November 10, 2013, 07:43:20 AM
It's another sunny warm beautiful morning here in Kalkan,
Post by: MartynE on November 10, 2013, 08:18:49 AM
This is our first winter here as full-time residents, and so far we have been spoilt with the weather. Apart from a couple of cloudy days we have had wall-to-wall sunshine for weeks! So lucky. The only problem is we will now be disappointed if every November isn't like this! :)
Post by: Christina on November 10, 2013, 10:14:34 AM
I think the reason businesses close at the end of October is related to the end of package flights to dalaman and reduction consequently in tourist numbers, rather than the weather.
I agree, and it's such a shame that the flights to Dalaman stop in October, as this can be a glorious time in Kalkan. I've had a couple of enquiries about winter-lets, from repeat guests who are prepared to fly into Antalya, and I wonder if any other owners have experience of out of season rentals? Of course the pool won't be usable, but indoors will be fully equipped with everything required for a cosy stay.
Post by: onelove on November 10, 2013, 03:14:22 PM
The sun set behind the mountain @ 16:35 here in Kalamar Bay after another glorious sunny hot day here in Kalkan.

After our walk this morning we had a shower then had breakfast on the pool terrace. After doing a few jobs we plonked ourselves on a couple of sunbeds where we stayed until 15:50.

Now watching Sunderland v Siddy, looking forward to the Utd v Arse game.

Onelove(united)  >:D >:D  >:D
Post by: onelove on November 11, 2013, 07:57:49 AM
This morning @ 06:45 it looked like it was not going to be that great weather wise today, but hey presto, the sun came out and now (09:45) we have cloudless blue skies with lovely sunshine....looks like we are in for another lovely day  ;)

Instead of walking into town this morning we decided to have a walk around Kalamar, so down & down we went all the way to the Kulube beach/hotel and along the waters edge until we reached Kalamar Beach Club where we watched as one of the locals dived into the sea and off he went for a morning swim. We sat and watched him swim into the distance for a while then started our accent back up to our villa. We zig-zagged our way back up rather than straight up the Very steep hills and was amazed to see how many old run down empty villas/aparts/hotels there are sitting alond side luxury brand new places, very weird  ???

Onelove.
Post by: onelove on November 12, 2013, 08:03:54 AM
Yesterday's lunch.....a quick drive into town and a visit to the greengrocers to buy our lunch, we are having a fruit salad consisting of, Graps, passion fruit, bananan and tangerines.

So, bananas sliced, grapes halfed and pips removed ( childhood thing ! ) passion fruit & tangerines peeled then all put into a bowl with low fat yogurt and covered with lashings of fresh honey given to us from one of our Turkish friends. Lunch was eaten sat on the pool terrace in just shorts watching the sun shimmering of the Med on another beautiful warm/hot sunny day here in Paradise  ;)

Dinner......our Chef & his wife (from tanZore) cooked us a Fantastic BBQ that included, marinated chicken breast & wings, home made ( his own recipe ) minced patties, grilled halloumi cheese, mixed salad, yogurt dip with garlic & cucumber and flat bread....absolutely delish. I can't believe we are still able to have a BBQ in mid Nov  :o

This morning is again lovely and warm with cloudless blue skies., looks like more sunbathing is in order, the rest of the gardening is just going to have to wait for another day   8)

Onelove.

Post by: Babs on November 12, 2013, 09:31:35 AM
You're starting to get quite insufferable now onelove!  ;) ;) only joking! It's good to get a Kalkan fix on a miserable damp November morning.....even if it is through someone else  :laugh:
Post by: Kalkan Magic on November 13, 2013, 09:03:54 AM
The webcams look amazing this morning and the sea like absolute glass...lunch on the balcony would be perfect!
Post by: onelove on November 13, 2013, 09:50:14 AM
Yesterday was the Hottest day since we arrived 10 days ago, and the sun was out All day  8)

I was laying on a sunbed when at 15:25 my mobile rang and woke me, omg I must of fell asleep, I answered, 'hi' 'hi Peter' came the answer 'we are outside' omg, we had arranged with friends to be picked up at 15:30 to go to a Trout farm in the mountains behind Kalkan, 'can you give us 10 mins please', 'no problem'.......

So a (very) quick wash (and spray of aftershave for me) and we were ready.

I grabbed my tripod & telescope (why you ask, more later) and run up the stairs to the road level where our friends were waiting very patiently, 'no rush, no rush, there's no reason to rush when your retired' said our driver/friend, phew, that made me feel a lot better, so into the car we got to set off to Bezirgan where we stopped to take some photos and look at the beautiful scenery. Bezirgan's trees, unlike (very Green) Kalkan's, have a 'sort of' autumn look about them, with loads of beatiful colours  :o  Bezirgan is a very peaceful place, old Turkey, maybe what Kalkan was like 50/60 years ago  ??? One thing that was Very noticeable was the Drop in temp, def needed a sweater/jacket.

We left Bezirgan via the signpost pointing us to Akbel, after a short drive you do a Very sharp left to Islamlar, this turning is very easy to miss as the signpost for Islamlar is only visible if you are coming from the opp direction, 'Keep Calm' this is Turkey  ;D.

We slowly climbed (the newly surfaced road) up the mountain road, twisting and turning round the hairpin bends until we pulled over and got out to look at the view of Kalkan and Snake & mouse in the distance. Another great view from this vantage point is Patara beach ( a long straight line that looks like the horizon ) and the Xanthos river with the sun shimmering of it as it snakes down to the sea.....in a word, stunning  :o

We arrived at the restaurant (Ciftlik) at approx 17:45 just missing the sunset  :'(. Waiting for us were another 2 of our friends.

So the 6 of us sat down to a Fantastic 'Meze' meal that included....garlic prawns, Kalamari, shredded rocket with garlic, chips ( very Turkish ! ) sliced fried aubergine with stuffed peppers, halloumi, chesse borek, mixed salad, bread & yogurt dips all washed down with a couple of glasses of vino, soft drinks & water. When we were finished we were served comp Turkish coffee & cay.

The views from this family restaurant looking down on snake & mouse are amazing, well worth a visit for that alone, albeit the food & service are 1st class as well.

We got chatting to the dad/husband ( well the one of us that spoke Turkish did ) and learnt that this was the first Trout restaurant in the mountain opening in 1991 and the fact that all the other restaurants that are now up there all worked at this restaurant before opening their own.....the owner told us this with a big smile on his face and without any sign of jealousy  :angel:

I had to laugh when I was outside having a smoke seeing the youngest of the 3 sons, could only of been 7/8 years old, walking back from the local shop just a min up the road carrying a bottle of Efes that one of our party had ordered.....oh how I love this place  :)

We had already decided that on the way home we would stop at the same spot we had stopped off on our way there to 'star gaze'......I set the telescope up and fixed it onto the 3/4 full moon, got to say it was fantastic sight.  Only downside was that the moon was very bright which did not concur with star gazing  :(  on the upside we saw 3 'shooting stars' what a great way to end a fab night  ;D

Today.....is another beautiful warm / hot sunny day.......sunbed calling, so buy for now  8) 8) 8)

Onelove.
Post by: kalkan4eva on November 13, 2013, 01:11:34 PM
sounds fabulous, onelove. What a great life you have.
Is there anything at all you miss about UK? Other than Old Trafford, of course.. :P
Post by: onelove on November 13, 2013, 07:43:45 PM
Yeah K4e not a bad life I must admit, we are Sooo Very lucky, and know it  ;)

What do I miss about the UK...Mmmmm, not that much to be honest...just our kids, Grandkids & family, but can't have it all I suppose  ???  FaceTime / Skype really helps with that.

Will always miss OT, albeit, Reds are here, Reds are there, Reds are every F**king where  >:D >:D  >:D

Very hot/warm again today  8) ;) 8)

Just got in from a lovely evening and meal @ Coast, more dogs than people on the harbour though ::)

Still very very mild in the evenings......still in shorts & t-shirt  :o

Onelove.

Post by: onelove on November 14, 2013, 05:55:56 AM
It looks like it's going to be another lovely warm/hot sunny day here in paridise, it's 06:40 and Kalamar Bay is bathed in sunshine  8) ;) 8)

We had a Fab meal @ Coast last night and a nice long chat with Omar and his lovely new wife Elife ( hope the spelling is right ) they are such a lovely couple, I hope they can make it pay staying open as there are not a lot of people about at this time of year, albeit, I love it that way, so peaceful  :angel:

It's good news to hear that Coast is staying open all winter including Xmas & New Year, more choice the better me says  ;)

Now off for our morning walk   8)

Onelove.
Post by: kalkan4eva on November 14, 2013, 01:23:31 PM
the fact that Coast is open throughout the Winter may well have caused the owners of Aubergine to change their minds. My understanding via this forum is that they were set to close this winter but are now staying open...?
I really hope Coast can make a go of the out-of-season opening, love it there. More choice for residents and out of season travellers can only be a good thing.
thanks for posting, onelove.
Post by: onelove on November 14, 2013, 02:17:06 PM
Yes, your right K4e, Aubergine is Staying open all winter and for New Years Eve....well, that's what I have been told anyway  ???

I had to call the Mayor this afternoon, not at all happy  >:( , wtf is going on here in paridise.....we got to 14:00 and all was well, then........Clouds  ;) :o ;)

Onelove.
Post by: Anne on November 14, 2013, 05:30:43 PM
Sitting here at 7.30 pm and the weather has broken, constant thunder, the rain started a few minutes ago and just had the most enormous crack of lightening.  Still it is supposed to brighten up tomorrow and the weekend and can't complain about November to date.
Post by: onelove on November 14, 2013, 06:20:33 PM
Yeah Anne, what a fab lighting show we have just had. I'm not sure, but the storm seems to be blowing over...I hope I have not spoken to soon  ???

I hope the weather is better tomorrow as we planned to go to Kapatas beach for a swim and packed lunch  ;)
Post by: onelove on November 15, 2013, 05:14:41 AM
.......not spoken to soon  ???

We have had thunder, lighting & rain All night, it's now 05:30 Friday morning and it's still going on.

Looks like a swim & lunch @ Patara will have to wait :-((((
Post by: onelove on November 15, 2013, 06:24:07 PM
After a wet morning the weather picked up, was cloudy nigh on all day, but still mild, albeit, there is a little nip in the air tonight  :o

Tomorrow is forecast to be nice and sunny in the morning  up to 12ish, then cloud & sun for the rest of the day with maybe a shower here or there.... ;)
Post by: Blue Lizard on November 15, 2013, 07:04:21 PM
I always thought a little nip in the air was a Japanese parachutist   ;D ;)
Post by: onelove on November 15, 2013, 07:12:46 PM
 Better than a Jap in the eye  :) ;D :)

Post by: Kalkan regular on November 15, 2013, 08:07:29 PM
We love the Kalkan storms they are so exciting and visual rather than endless grey sky & drizzle. I do feel sorry though for anyone who is only visiting for a week though and were expecting and looking forward to sun and warmth.
Post by: onelove on November 16, 2013, 05:44:01 AM
No need to worry. 07:10 Sat morning and we have blue skies and brilliant sunshine........again  8)
Post by: onelove on November 16, 2013, 04:21:11 PM
We set off for our morning walk @ 07:50 and got back at just before 09:00, those hills don't get any easier and (still !) play havoc with my (our) calves, but I suppose they do get the blood pumping which is a good thing. The sun was out and we certainly got a good sweat on.

After breakfast we had to decide wether to 'flop' again  ;) or get on with the gardening/pruning/cutting back of the flowers or whatever you want to call it  ??? We decided we should really get on with the garden/planters. So at 10:00 we got the tools together and off we set.  Now, when we started the gardening a few days ago 'I' thought it would take a day or two, well how wrong can you be. It's going to take at least 5/6 maybe 7 shifts @ 4/5 hours per shift  :o. The amount of debris/cuttings is Amazing, and still got to be carted off to the bin ;-((  That Bougenvilla is Dangerous stuff my arms and legs look like they have done 10 rounds with a couple of alley Cats  :'(

We did not stop for lunch so at just gone 15:00 we had had enough and were quite hungry, so we thought we would go to Fener for a late lunch early dinner.

Fener was Very busy with hardly a spare table. Not surprising really as it was such a lovely day. Table found we ordered our food. As usual the food & service was first class, 2 cokes, one starter, 2 mains & comp bread & cay......£17  :o the value never ceases to amaze me......and what a lovely setting....I sat and watched a few locals were fishing off the harbour wall, there were a couple of young lads (Turks, to Brown to be Brits) swimming and  2 ladies sunbathing in their swimming costumes.....Kalkan in Nov, I can highly recommend it  ;) 8) ;)

Onelove.

Footnote : the sun is now setting behind the mountain at 16:20 and it's dark at 17:15.

Post by: onelove on November 17, 2013, 04:12:51 PM
Another lovely warm/hot sunny day, albeit, clouds appeared at approx 15:00, also a Very Very very light shower in the afternoon  ;)
Post by: kalkan4eva on November 17, 2013, 10:07:51 PM
Beats a cold November UK day....and it's dark here at 17.15 too :(
Post by: onelove on November 18, 2013, 06:18:41 PM
A tad cloudy first thing this morning (unusual of late) but the sun was out by 07:45, in short another lovely warm day  8)
Post by: pattaya on November 18, 2013, 08:40:13 PM
Hi
loving your updates onelove cant wait to come back.
We are Coming over for New Years Eve I love kalkan out of season, as you get to see the real Kalkan..
We was lucky with the weather last year, and spent most afternoons down at fenner Just people watching.
how are all the road works going ?
P
Post by: onelove on November 19, 2013, 07:23:41 AM
In a word pattaya, slowly  :)

Tuesday.......another lovely warm sunny morning, albeit there us a little cloud about  :o

Now going to crack on and get this bloody gardening finished today....my back is agony  :'(

Wife made me feel great yesterday as I was balanced on top of a wall above one of the planters.....'be careful up there, your no spring chicken you know'....cheers love  ::)
Post by: onelove on November 20, 2013, 06:04:50 AM
Wed....another bright sunny morning here in Kalamar Bay  8)
Post by: Blue Lizard on November 20, 2013, 11:25:27 AM
Freeezing cold here...thick frost last night...rain today and weather says snow is moving down the country....prepare for chaos if we have 1/2" ::) ....it was when I felt the cold I was suddenly panic stricken! birthday coming up and Christmas..mmmmm! just hope no one gets me a Onesie! I would look like a Tellytubby ;D
Post by: onelove on November 20, 2013, 02:33:29 PM
Ahhhhh, feel sorry for you BL.....today was one of the hottest/warmest days since we got back here just over 2 weeks ago :-))). It's now a beautiful calm, warm evening, just watching 4 fishing boats phut phutting (can't spell) their way back into the harbour...bliss  ;)
Post by: Blue Lizard on November 20, 2013, 02:35:54 PM
Yes you may be in paradise....but you haven't got pork pies in your fridge!! >:D >:D
Post by: onelove on November 20, 2013, 04:05:54 PM
Your right on both counts,  yes we are in paridise and know, no Pork Pies in the fridge 'cause I've eat them all  ;) 8) ;)
Post by: Anne on November 20, 2013, 05:29:55 PM
Paradise is proving a bit difficult in the old town where we are. Because of the road works, unfortunately a worker was injured cutting through an electric cable, for safety reasons the electricity is being switched off each day (9.00 am to 4.00 pm) and this morning the water was off too.  If rumour is right this will be a daily occurrence for a while, certainly the case for the last 2 days.  Seriously affecting some businesses, e.g. the barber and the roads being up means everything is shut up on the affected roads.   Still it is not raining or cold.
Post by: Blue Lizard on November 20, 2013, 06:11:05 PM
I've seen the pictures of the old town on KTLN....methinks it is going to be messy and dangerous when it rains ::)
Post by: tortoise lady on November 20, 2013, 06:44:24 PM
I have been following your blog with great interest (not jealous of course!).   How have you been managing moving around the old town with all the disruptions?  The pictures on KTLN today certainly made walking look difficult, if not impossible, on a few of the roads.   I do feel for the businesses where they are trying to keep open out of season.

It is particularly good, onelove, to have your blog during what is usually a very quiet time on the forum. 
Post by: Christina on November 20, 2013, 10:20:17 PM
I'm no engineer, but might it not have been a good idea to have completed one stretch of road at a time, rather than reduce the whole town to rubble? Won't be much fun for the holidaymakers at Christmas (I hear the Pirat Hotel is fully booked). Plus - although I understand all the good reasons for the resurfacing - I can't help but wonder if they are destroying some of the old ramshackle charm of Kalkan that many of us fell in love with. Those ancient, worn streets are gone forever. Let's hope their replacement with the new safer stone blocks does not detract from the town's unique character.
Post by: Babs on November 21, 2013, 08:44:16 AM
My thoughts exactly Christina! I feel torn between feeling sad about losing the lovely worn, ramshackle look and being overjoyed that I will no longer slip at least three times each time I walk about the town!  :laugh:
Post by: onelove on November 21, 2013, 05:41:18 PM
I've seen the pictures of the old town on KTLN....methinks it is going to be messy and dangerous when it rains ::)

Your not wrong BL, we had a little stroll around the old town this afternoon and imho it's a right mess, loads of roads just dug up with rubble everywhere, electric cables cut here & there and just left exposed, drainage pipes smashed & the hissing sounds of escaping water, on the plus side there was no danger of getting in the workers way as there were none  ???  I dread to think what it will be like if/when we get heavy rain   :o
Post by: onelove on November 21, 2013, 05:52:31 PM
I'm no engineer, but might it not have been a good idea to have completed one stretch of road at a time, rather than reduce the whole town to rubble? Won't be much fun for the holidaymakers at Christmas (I hear the Pirat Hotel is fully booked). Plus - although I understand all the good reasons for the resurfacing - I can't help but wonder if they are destroying some of the old ramshackle charm of Kalkan that many of us fell in love with. Those ancient, worn streets are gone forever. Let's hope their replacement with the new safer stone blocks does not detract from the town's unique character.

I know what you mean Chris when you refer to the 'unique character' but I think it's a job that needs doing all the same and if they are using, as I suspect, stone sets, I'm sure they will look great and won't be anywhere bear as slippery 

This was the sort of work I used to do, so I know if a contractor is allowed to sequence his own programme this is what will happen, just dig the lot up first, it's a cheaper & more cost effective way of doing things, not right, but as I said cheaper  . I can't see any of it been ready for Xmas   
Post by: onelove on November 21, 2013, 05:55:36 PM
I have been following your blog with great interest (not jealous of course!).   How have you been managing moving around the old town with all the disruptions?  The pictures on KTLN today certainly made walking look difficult, if not impossible, on a few of the roads.   I do feel for the businesses where they are trying to keep open out of season.

It is particularly good, onelove, to have your blog during what is usually a very quiet time on the forum. 

So pleased to read your enjoying my posts tortoise lady :-)))
Post by: amber on November 21, 2013, 05:58:39 PM
The streets in the old town have been resurfaced many times over recent years,a bit here and a bit there so none of the roads are historic just a big mess! I understand its only the main roads that are being done this year.

We are having trouble walking around the town and some days you have to do a massive detour.Every day is different and a road that is passable one day isnt the next.We too asked why they didnt do one bit at a time but the need for changing pipes and cables made this impossible.Luckily our electric hasnt been off every day.It is quite amazing to see what has been just a couple of inches under our feet!!! I hope all the workmen are being paid danger money!

Well, we just have to make the best of it.My wellies are out ready for tomorrow morning.I pity the business people who wanted to stay open this winter but have closed due to lack of customers and roads!! Things can only get worse as they havent dug up my street yet!! The completion date is April (I think) not christmas thats for sure!!

I can hear thunder.............
Post by: onelove on November 21, 2013, 06:21:05 PM
Thursday....another lovely warm sunny day mixed with a bit of cloud cover.

We had to laugh this afternoon. We went for a late ish lunch @ Ali Baba's (soup kitchen) and as we walked in we were offered one of the tables not under cover/no shade/outside, so in the sun, we decided we would rather sit inside out of the sun while we ate, as soon as we had sat down a Local man dressed in a big leather jacket with a scarf wrapped around his neck and nearly covering his mouth sat at the table we had just refused saying it was to cold to sit "Out of the Sun"  ;)

19:30..... We have a splattering of rain with lighting but no thunder as yet, the wind is starting to pick up, looks like we may be in for a bit of a storm, hope so, I love it when there's a storm  ;). It's very mild tonight   :P. I dread to think what the road works, or should I say the harbour, will look like in the morning if we get a lot of rain tonight  :o

Still not quite finished the gardening, I forgot about the planter down at the games room level, hopefully not a lot of work, a few hours top whack, I will endeavour to get it finished tomorrow, depending on the weather....next year we are getting a gardener  ;)

Footnote : it's light at approx 06:25 in the morning, the sun is out by 07:15 and setting behind the mountain at 16:15 and it's dark by 17:20ish.

Onelove.
Post by: Anne on November 21, 2013, 06:24:13 PM
Well the electric came back on at 5.45 pm, thought they had forgotten to switch it back on, off since 9.00 am.  Got up early to take advantage of the power, washing machine on (sadly it was 2 mins from the end when to power went off)  electric saw lopping branches ( halfway through the last branch when the cut came).  All a bit difficult and not only can I hear thunder but also the rain!
Post by: pattaya on November 21, 2013, 09:03:36 PM
Oh dear starting to wonder if ive done the right thing by booking to come out at new year !
Is cardiac hill still open so you can get down to the harbour ?

P
Post by: onelove on November 22, 2013, 04:11:06 AM
Hi pattaya,

It's just the old town that's, sort of, 'out of bounds'. Cardiac Hill, the harbour road, the main road leading to the two roundabouts and kalamar road are all open, so Still plenty of restaurants/shops to keep you interested, so don't worry I'm sure you will still have a fab time  ;)

Not sure how heavy the rain was last night  ??? (slept like a baby) , I hope things are ok in the old town....power etc   ???

05:30 Friday morning.....a light rumbling of thunder, lighting & very very light rain  :(

I'm up early watching the Ashes  8)
Post by: amber on November 22, 2013, 04:38:45 AM
Pattaya - It  really is only the old town that is affected,the harbour is fine and from Moonlight bar upwards it is ok too.The road by the Pirat is not being touched so there will always be access to the harbour level walking or by car.The works in the old town are a pain for us that live here but there sometimes has to be a penalty for living in paradise!!!

Onelove - I too slept like a baby so no idea how much rain we had last night - will investigate shortly,the cats will want their breakfast!
Post by: pw on November 22, 2013, 06:56:20 AM

I'm up early watching the Ashes  8)

I'd go back to bed mate....... ;)
Post by: onelove on November 22, 2013, 08:24:31 AM
Haha pw.  What odds for a 'backs to the wall' draw ???

10:20 and it's lashing it down  :-\
Post by: onelove on November 22, 2013, 10:01:03 AM
By 10:50 the rain had stopped and we had beautiful sunshine again  ;D it's now 12:00 and we still have brilliant sunshine, and it's lovely and warm 8).......
Post by: kalkan4eva on November 22, 2013, 10:21:48 AM
Loving the updates, thanks for taking time to post.
Beautiful sunny but cold Autumn day here in our part of the UK - in case you're interested :P
Post by: pattaya on November 22, 2013, 12:14:35 PM
Thanks Onelove & Amber that makes me feel better .. great having your updates to keep us all going in the uk.
looking forward to being back in kalkan soon.
P :)
Post by: onelove on November 22, 2013, 03:45:05 PM
Well today was a proper mixed bag weather wise.....as I've already said it was wet first thing this morning then by 11:00ish the weather had very much improved and we had brilliant sunshine again, things steadily got better from there on and by 13:00 we were (again !) on sunbeds   8) to be honest the sun was in and out behind some, at times very black, clouds. When the clouds cleared, which they did for most of the time, it's was Hot in the direct sun, then by 15:30ish the clouds were back and it looked like that was it, sunbathing wise, for the day, but hey ho the clouds cleared again and it was lovely until just gone 16:00. So all in all not a bad day it had to be said. It's 17:35 now and Still Very mild but the wind is starting to pick up and me thinks we may be in for some more rain later on  :'(

Note to self : must finish the gardening tomorrow  ;)

Onelove.
Post by: amber on November 22, 2013, 05:48:04 PM
Thats Kalkan for you on a winters day!!! Wore my wellies all day and carried around my brolly and mac however........sat outside Adda Patesserie this morning enjoying the sunshine and a lovely coffee.

Its really windy now but on a positive we have electric and water!! The roadworks seem to have slowed down in the old town just a lot of mess and roads you cant use!!

Post by: onelove on November 22, 2013, 06:15:34 PM
If this is Winter.....I want more of it  ;). We have been here just coming up 3 weeks and I have not been out of shorts & t-shirt, day & night....except bedtime  ;D

20:10 and we have lots of (amazing) lighting  :o
Post by: Blue Lizard on November 23, 2013, 07:40:47 AM
Ha Ha....best you wash your shorts and t shirt they must be minging by now ;D >:D
Post by: onelove on November 23, 2013, 08:35:05 AM
Mmmmmm, good idea BL, I was wondering what it was with all the flies, and there was me thinking it was the wife ;)  ;D  ;)

Up early again @ 05:30 for the Ashes, should not of bothered, don't like watching Pom Bashing  :'(

@ 07:00 this morning it was very overcast & cloudy (or are they the same thing !!!) anyway could not start our walk until the cricket was over @ 09:30, just started walking and the sun came out  8) it stayed with us all the way until we got back just before 10:30 when the clouds re-appeared  :(

Now to get on with finishing the gardening before the football starts  >:D

We had the most Wonderful lighting show last night, very little thunder & No rain, very odd  ???  Whilst we were out walking I bumped into and had a chat to a local I know and the only topic on the agenda was last nights 'Lighting' he told me that the last time it was that spectacular was a few years ago, Wow, we got to see a good one then  :o :o :o

Still Very very mild and the sun is trying its hardest to break through   :P :-* :P

Onelove.
Post by: onelove on November 23, 2013, 03:07:24 PM
The sun was 'in & out' all day.....all in all, not a bad day weather wise. Still mild though  ;)

17:05, 100% cloud cover.
Post by: Lynne T on November 28, 2013, 07:40:35 AM
What's up Onelove ? Is the weather so bad you can't log on , my breakfast has not been the same without your reports  :(
Lynne
Post by: amber on November 28, 2013, 08:19:54 AM
Its sunny here this morning so maybe he has gone for a swim or maybe had a stroll around the old town and fell down a hole!!
 I cant tell you how hard it is living in the old town at the moment but we trying to keep our spirits up.They have rigged me up a temporary phone/internet connection so it doesnt seem quite as bad now I have contact with the outside world again and electricity too - we are being spoiled today!!! After the rains we have lots of mess,rubble and mud combined but luckily workers came down by Kaptans yesterday (lots of men with shovels) to try and improve things! Many of the roads are very dangerous to walk on and you take you life in your own hands.A very large hole has been exposed very near me (an old cesspit probably) so together with vast collection of exposed pipes and wires you never know what you might come across.With lack of street lights its best not to go far after dark!!
You can drive down Pirat Hill (will remain untouched) and the back road where Iso Restaurant is at the moment but the back road is due to be ripped up soon.I think virtually every business in the whole of the old town is shut but the road along the harbour is fine just a bit (big bit) dusty.So some restaurants remain open.
So fingers crossed for lots of sunshine,no rain and I hope to see a road builder in my road again very very soon!!!!

Some great pics on KTLN a few days ago.
Post by: Blue Lizard on November 28, 2013, 10:08:05 AM
Onelove had the audacity to try and help someone and provide a helpful answer.. this  heinous crime led to heavy handed moderation and has  killed off the daily updates and the last bit of banter available...he was in my opinion fully justified in asking whats the point in posting anymore?..(also removed) so sad when someone is only trying to help  ::)..I shall prepare for removal >:D
Post by: kevincat99 on November 28, 2013, 01:24:02 PM
Blue Lizard what did One Love say that was so terrible as I didn't see it

Also why if it was removed was there no mention on here that it had been

I thought that after the last bit of bother that was to be the case

Or once again am I missing something ???
Post by: Babs on November 28, 2013, 01:45:46 PM
There were a few posts, including mine, also removed as apparently according to the forum rules there should not be any discussion on the transfer section. There was nothing inflammatory at all! :-\
Post by: Blue Lizard on November 28, 2013, 03:06:28 PM
That's terrible!! I'm sure when Santa finds out about such dastardly behaviour yours is one chimney he doesn't climb down!!...No onesie for you! ;D >:D
Post by: Babs on November 28, 2013, 04:59:31 PM
I know I am positively evil!  >:D  ::)
But to be honest if I miss out on a onesie then that will be a blessing!
Post by: littlelin on November 28, 2013, 06:27:09 PM
I didn't see onelove's post but saw his obvious follow up stating that as his posts had been removed then he would no longer be posting on this forum. Later that post was removed. I posted asking where his post had gone and mine was also removed. Nothing from the administrators to advise that these posts had been removed, they just whip them away. Why can't they do what other forums do and leave the post in place but delete the contents and replace with "this post had been removed"?
Title: 1984
Post by: satovod on November 28, 2013, 08:18:38 PM
a huge problem with EK forum that moderatiors delete posts without any significiant reason and a lot of people (not bots/spammers) get banned.
Post by: kalkan4eva on November 28, 2013, 11:21:32 PM
One day of not logging on and it's all gone Pete Tong.... I'm assuming perhaps there was mention of things reported on KTLN...? Maybe not. Could someone PM me and fill me in....not literally :o
Title: Re: 1984
Post by: Eric Arthur Blair on November 29, 2013, 01:28:03 AM
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Will the last one out turn off the light.
Post by: pattaya on December 01, 2013, 10:07:19 PM
Really missing one loves post .. Such a shame that he is not posting his daily updates to get us through the winter months .. What's happened    ??? :(
Post by: amber on December 02, 2013, 05:52:01 AM
What is happening indeed??

In the meantime its a very windy morning in Kalkan and I so hope the roadworks will recommence today.A whole week of nothing happening and a complete mess everywhere in the old town.
Post by: Christina on December 02, 2013, 06:10:18 AM
I know I shouldn't speculate, but if the alleged tender-rigging is connected to the roadworks contract, it may be some time before work recommences. I hope I'm wrong as I'm coming over on Boxing Day for a month.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal