Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The delights of renting (Part 1)  (Read 34081 times)

Offline pattaya

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: The delights of renting (Part 1)
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2013, 10:00:43 PM »
Makes you wonder how the locals can afford their electric bills  ...?. As the wages ect are not high .. Will get my bills next week I'll update you what mine are .
Can't wait to get back to Kalkan :laugh:

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2013, 07:08:58 AM »
Locals will not necessarily have nor use the A/C units the way the English renters will nor will they have pools/pool pumps so a large proportion of large summer bills will not be consumed in the same way by local Turkish people.
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2013, 07:10:56 AM »
Not trying to be a 'topper' but our electric bill for nigh-on the same dates as Cosetta last Aug was......just over £1,300, yes you read it right  ???

We spoke to the Tedas, they checked the meter and said all was working fine, where do you go from there ?????
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2013, 07:47:05 AM »
You grin and bear it ! :o
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2013, 10:27:33 AM »
Not trying to be a 'topper' but our electric bill for nigh-on the same dates as Cosetta last Aug was......just over £1,300, yes you read it right  ???

We spoke to the Tedas, they checked the meter and said all was working fine, where do you go from there ?????

Both small beer compared to our June bill of 337,000TL,  our agent had to go to Antalya to discuss it. Just realised he hasn't mentioned it since and hope that means he sorted it out.

For anyone who rents out a lot and is routinely receiving large electricity bills, it may be worth seeing if replacing you air con units would save money. The latest ones use less than half the electricity of units that are 5+ years old.

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2013, 02:23:46 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Alantj.  I will check out the prices but as 4 of the 6 are older, might be too expensive to make it worthwhile.  These high bills only happen in July and August, mostly August.

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2013, 03:19:44 PM »
alantj have you recently replaced a/c units and if so did you notice a drop in electrity costs?  Can you please let me know who did you used to replace them? many thanks

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #87 on: September 04, 2013, 05:06:59 PM »
I found this thread Very interesting, thanks to all that have posted......So far  >:D

Offline whiteonyx

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
    • Share Post
« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
Our last guests holiday was completely ruined because our villa we didn't have a "whisk or a mixing bowl"  what utter baskets we are as owners. The Best restaurants in Turkey only a 10 min walk and they elect to eat in almost every night for 2 weeks..... you couldn't make it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2013, 11:33:16 AM »

Trip Adviser Side......!!!!

Kentia air-con charges
17 August 2013, 11:06

Having booked an apartment at the Kentia I just noticed it states on my booking that there is an additional charge for air-con. Never heard of this before, air-con isn't a luxury it's a basic requirement! Does anyone know if this is the case, and if so how much they charge ?

1. Re: Kentia air-con charges
17 August 2013, 11:12

Many many places charge extra for air con and safe deposit boxes.

Janisem
United Kingdom
2. Re: Kentia air-con charges
17 August 2013, 12:04

Approximately how much do they charge, is it per day or is it based on usage please?

3. Re: Kentia air-con charges
17 August 2013, 14:01

Air con varies. This year i paid £5 per day = £35 per week.

Obviously safe deposit boxes are much cheaper around £10 per week. I have never hired one as i tend to padlock my suitcases with my money hidden well inside one of the cases.

Report inappropriate content

Janisem
United Kingdom
4. Re: Kentia air-con charges
17 August 2013, 18:55
Thanks, have you been to the Kentia?

Andy612295
Cardiff, United...
reviews: 5
5. Re: Kentia air-con charges
17 August 2013, 19:02
air con is a luxury not a basic requirement, otherwise everyone on the planet would have it...

caskey768
crawley
reviews: 1
6. Re: Kentia air-con charges
17 August 2013, 19:10
I haven't been to Side before let along Kentia. To be honest it doesn't really float m y boat for personal reasons.

Offline Tatilde

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2013, 04:03:17 PM »
Whiteonyx, I would think a whisk and mixing bowl are pretty basic requirements. Scrambled eggs for breakfast? Not everyone wants to or can afford to eat out for every meal. Staying in a villa should gives guests the choice.

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #91 on: September 07, 2013, 05:13:16 PM »
Whiteonyx, I would think a whisk and mixing bowl are pretty basic requirements. Scrambled eggs for breakfast? Not everyone wants to or can afford to eat out for every meal. Staying in a villa should gives guests the choice.

........but would you not just go out and buy these utensils if you wanted scrambled eggs? Wouldn't break the bank!
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline headroom

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
  • Everyone smiles in the same language
    • Share Post
« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2013, 06:39:30 PM »

........but would you not just go out and buy these utensils if you wanted scrambled eggs? Wouldn't break the bank!

But surely a whisk and bowl aren't totally essential to make scrambled eggs are they, with a little improvisation a fork and any sort of container would suffice?
  A guy who I once told we didn't have a micro-wave in our villa said "ah but we'd need one, the children like warm milk before they go to bed"  . . . Huh? hello, we didn't always have microwaves and warm milk is not a modern day phenomenon!
  Needless to say we bought a microwave next time we went to Kalkan,  . . . . well you just have to cater for people's needs don't you!
  Oh and just in case you're wondering, we have an electric mixer AND a bowl, so? perfect scrambled eggs are assured. :)
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2013, 08:44:17 PM »
Oops, we don't have a whisk in any of our properties! A fork would surely be the best option - a solution I frequently would use myself at home rather than seek out our whisks at the back of the utensils drawer...
We did get told once that we didn't have enough frying pans though (we had 3 large-ish ones)...not enough for a full English maybe.

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2013, 09:04:36 PM »
We were also asked for a whisk some years back, now we have 3 of them!  Plus the electric mixer, food chopper, many mixing bowls, pans of every size and shape ....  and this summer people used them all, the results were visible.

Offline Michele

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2013, 10:47:23 AM »
I've perversely loved reading this thread because up until now I thought it was just me who had the odd rogue renter!  This year we had a family who kept asking us to do something about the dogs barking at night.   :o  Now, whilst I wholly agree it's very very very annoying, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do (being in the UK)!  Husband (who's Turkish) has spoken to the Mayor who basically said they won't do anything.

On another topic - air con!  At the beginning of this season we installed timers to the air con units so they only come on (if switched on) at 7pm in the evening and off at 6am in the morning.  So far this seems to have worked because it avoids people leaving it on and going out during the day.  We thought about having a key/fob device but for all the reasons mentioned on page 1 and page 2 of this thread, we decided this might be the better route.  We've yet to see the bills but fingers crossed they won't be as bad as last year!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2013, 09:52:58 PM »
Hi Michele, totally agree with you re the dogs. Fancy thinking that as the property owner, you can control their barking? As serial renters, I'd like to think that we've a bit more common sense than that!
Do you advertise that the air cons on a timer? I must say that I'd be really disappointed if I was only allowed to use air con in an evening, especially if I'd paid approx £2000.00 for my rental. I can't imagine what I'd look like, trying to get ready on a hot and sticky august evening with my makeup sliding down my face faster than I was applying it!
I do understand that some people abuse everything, especially the air con, eg leaving doors and windows open while running it 24/7, but it would certainly put me off renting if I couldn't have the priveledge of using it when I needed it.
One of our daughters has very fair skin and can only stand so much sun. She needs to stay indoors when the sun is at it's strongest and to have to swelter inside would be unthinkable. Most places we have stayed, don't have mossie screens on every window and we don't want to end up with them as unwelcome house mates by leaving windows and doors open.
Just a thought from the other side of the coin and from extremely responsible and careful renters. We are not all bad, I promise  :)

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2013, 10:05:27 PM »
Liz, I'm sure that most owners have no problem with people using the air on while they are actually in the accommodation...that's what it's there for!

It's the people that go out all day and want to leave the aircon on with the windows open that cause problems! It's both stupid and irresponsible.  From talking to you, I'm pretty sure you and your family aren't in that category :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2013, 10:23:19 PM »
Aw, thanks Martyn  :-*. That was very sweet, but I'm not adding to your thank you tally just yet ha ha  >:D ;D
I'm having withdrawals from Kalkan and I cannot wait for this winter to pass by quickly and raise my lal rose glass to you again at midtown.  :)

Offline Michele

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2013, 12:17:58 AM »
Hi Lizilu - The majority of our renters have been like yourself, most responsible however some of the electric bills have been horrendous.  I most definitely advertise the air con as being on a timer because it wouldn't be fair otherwise.  It hasn't been a problem for anybody and thankfully we have repeat guests and for the past 4 or 5 years have been fully booked so I hope we're doing something right!   ;)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Renting Villas

Started by maryjane on Accommodation and Hotels

0 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 07:51:20 PM
by maryjane
xx
Renting in Kalkan

Started by si18665 on Introduce Yourself

9 Replies
Last post December 07, 2013, 07:51:52 AM
by si18665
xx
Renting appartment

Started by kalkanlover22 on Buying A Property & Real Estate

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2008, 12:25:41 AM
by Layla
xx
Renting a villa

Started by belinda on Buying A Property & Real Estate

1 Replies
Last post June 07, 2009, 09:58:06 AM
by belinda

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal