Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Barbecue Food  (Read 5356 times)

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Barbecue Food
« on: July 24, 2013, 06:32:40 PM »
Well it won't be long now and I will get to see Kalkan for myself.

As well as trying out some of the fabulous sounding restaurants we are also looking forward to simply chilling round the pool and using the barbecue. Our villa owner has recommended the butcher they use, but can anyone tell me if any of the butchers or supermarkets sell meat ready prepared for the bbq e.g. marinated or kebabs?

Also, any recommendations for which supermarket for a first shop to get essentials. Not sure if they are all pretty much the same as far as prices go. By the way, wine and efes will be included as essentials so need an update for best shop prices!

Suzyq1

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11392.0

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: Barbecue Food
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 06:50:47 PM »
We found that Yali(butcher in entrance had meat packs) and migros were fine for stuff you can't get elsewhere..to start you off  although slightly more expensive than BIM and A101..but once you have the essentials you can find Bim etc cheap for ice cream,crisps (1.5 Ltr of coke aprox 3TL) butter ,juices, and generally topping up.. But cheapest for wine etc was lucky market opposite taxi rank, although yali etc do have offers on and did a big 1.5ltr bottle of white  for reasonable price can't remember exact but it was less than 20tl and one i'd had before.....these are june prices ;)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 08:00:52 AM by blue lizard »
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 07:33:15 PM »
Hi Suzy - not long to go now, I bet you're as excited as we are!!
We go to the butchers near to parc Kalkan and he does ready made kofte and chicken sis (among other things). I've been perfecting my kofte at home seeing as its been BBQ weather for a while and I have to say that I prefer mine, but his kofte are really nice.
BL has given you fab supermarket advice and I can't really add to that.  :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 10:13:08 PM »
The bottles of Efes were cheapest in Kippa or Migros (also June prices). My new favourite wine was the Majestik Sauvignon Blanc and that was cheapest in Lucky but the Lal was cheaper in Kippa. Like BL we always do our first big shop in Yali as it's the largest store and has the most choice-not always the cheapest but they aren't part of a national chain so can't compete with the economies of scale. Bim and A101 were definitely the Lidl and Aldi of Kalkan but be warned, neither sell alcohol ::)
Looking forward to hearing all about your stay, suzyq1 :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline hobbo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 78
    • Share Post
    • Villa Zeytin Koru
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 11:09:52 PM »
just had our 1st Kalkan BBQ of 2013! butchers ppt side of Kalamar rd roundabout, charcoal,  8 lamb chops and 4 marinated chicken kebabs 35TL , few yards from there towards the bus station , potatoes, onions, garlic, parsley, cucumbers, tomatoes, lemon, etc.. 5TL the find of the holiday a bottle of Busbag red @25 TL from Kippa not the cheapest but a great red!, potatoes peeled and cut as chips, par boiled then oven baked with olive oil and salt. salad of red onion tomatoes cucumber and parsley dressed with lemon juice and olive oil. lamb chops marinated in lemon juice olive oil and rosemary. 65TL 4 persons .. happy chappy!!

I have a very responsible position...
When anything goes wrong I’m responsible!!

www.villa-in-kalkan.co.uk www.gyrapix.co.uk

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 08:01:24 AM »
That greengrocers is brilliant! They weigh everything, write it down and then charge you 5TL.......whatever you buy within reason!! They are usually so busy with restaurant orders and seem quite surprised to see tourists. Amazing quality fruit and veg  :laugh:

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 10:22:08 AM »
another vote for the greengrocers opposite Parc Kalkan....they are cheaper than the market and they sell real limes :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 03:51:42 PM »
And another! We always go to that  greengrocers too. Exceptional value for money.
Hobbo, your BBQ sounds fab!  :)

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 07:55:48 PM »
Thanks once again to all you lovely people. :) I have been checking out the business map on KTLN website and it looks like most of the supermarkets are all along the same main road along with the banks, so I'm guessing it's quite easy to find your way around.

Will definitely try that greengrocer and Hobbo, what a bargain BBQ! Goes to show that in Kalkan you really can pay as little or as much as you want. Its good to know, because we can really hike up the price of a meal out with the alcoholic  drinks that 8 of us can get through  ;D We will need a few BBQ nights to balance the budget!

K4E - Be assured that if I have the means I will post when there, even if its just one to give a "Newbies" first impression. Lizilu is also there at the same time so hopefully she will be able to give the members those much needed holiday reports as these seem to be  severely lacking at the moment  :(

Thanks again.

Suzq1

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 09:46:02 PM »
Can also vouch for that greengrocer opposite Parc Kalkan. He has the biggest radishes you have ever seen :)

The butcher in the Yali supermarket makes some amazing kofte and is actually friendly, despite his dour demeanour. You are right about the location of all the supermarkets and banks - all fairly close together, so easy to find, on the main drag down from the petrol station / bus station.

I'd second what most people have said on here - Yali carries the biggest selection generally, but you need to shop around for various items as prices can vary enormously from shop to shop. Especially alcohol... we found Migros were cheapest for Efes and most wines... but they do tend to go out of stock quite often.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 10:37:38 AM »
Can't wait to hear what you think of Kalkan, suzyq1 :)
One thing for sure....it will be HOT 8) 8)

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 10:57:24 AM »

Will definitely try that greengrocer and Hobbo, what a bargain BBQ! Goes to show that in Kalkan you really can pay as little or as much as you want. Its good to know, because we can really hike up the price of a meal out with the alcoholic  drinks that 8 of us can get through  ;D We will need a few BBQ nights to balance the budget!

Have you condsidered having the BBQ deliverered. In the past we have found it cheaper and better to do the salads, side dishes oursleves and have the main courses delivered. Hunkar will do you a fabulous, almost to much to eat,  spread for around 15TL per head and no BBQ cleaning afterwoods.

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 10:50:11 PM »
Thanks Martyn and Alantj,

I think a take away from Hunkar is definitely on the list. I must admit we are not very up on all the names for the difference types of kebabs but hopefully they can guide us or maybe we could agree a price per head and they give us a selection which would be good as we would get to try different things.

No getting away from the do it yourself BBQ though, as that's when the OH comes into his own. Never comes near the kitchen, but as soon as the sun starts to shine there he is in front of the BBQ managing to cook everything to perfection. A beer in one hand and his tongs in the other.... Now there's a picture to behold! ;)

K4E You are right about it being hot. I've just had a look at the 15 day forecast. Makes me smile as they try to come up with 15 different descriptions for hot and sunny when all they need to say is "it's blimin hot!" :laugh: I'm certainly not complaining as virtual guaranteed good weather is  one of the reasons why I'm happy to pay to go abroad.

2 weeks today and we'll be on that plane! So excited! :)

Suzyq1

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 08:24:00 AM »
BBQ-ing in Kalkans mid summer temperatures is not that much fun in my opinion!! The Hunkar option is the way to go. we did this in May, fantastic selection of mezes, salads and kebabs for 4 cost approx 80tl (and that included a couple of Efeses while we waited for the food).

pw
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 08:54:44 AM by pw »
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2013, 10:56:56 AM »

No getting away from the do it yourself BBQ though, as that's when the OH comes into his own. Never comes near the kitchen, but as soon as the sun starts to shine there he is in front of the BBQ managing to cook everything to perfection. A beer in one hand and his tongs in the other.... Now there's a picture to behold! ;)

Suzyq1

It's a man thing. No woman could possibly understand ;)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 10:58:34 AM by MartynE »

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2013, 02:54:29 PM »
You are so right Martyn. It's a bit like the off side rule, I just except it without trying to understand it. And besides, if it gets me out of the kitchen I'm certainly not going to complain!

Think we will try both options and that will keep everyone happy....I hope!

Suzyq1

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2013, 07:30:44 PM »

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2013, 08:11:03 PM »
suzyq1..Hunkar do a takeaway leaflet with photos and prices on it ..that should give you an idea..we always get these things and leave them in the villa/appartment folders where we are staying for the next peeps....corner café (next door) do one as well ..we had deliveries from both similar prices but hunkar were slightly better with bigger portions and extras provided ..you could pop in and get a leaflet from both when you pass ;)

Offline suzyq1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 09:56:21 AM »
Ha ha MartynE. Will save that for a bit of light bed time reading!

Thanks BL will make sure I pick up a leaflet. I've always been impressed with everyone seeming to order exotic meals that I've never even heard of, but now the truths out.....little pictures that you can just point to! Simples  :)

Suzq1

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Best barbecue ?

Started by ladyliz on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

7 Replies
Last post September 22, 2012, 10:14:13 PM
by Chucky
xx
Barbecue's

Started by turkeyfan on General Discussion

17 Replies
Last post June 21, 2008, 04:06:29 PM
by jayne
xx
barbecue restaurant?

Started by lorilou on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

0 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 03:15:58 PM
by lorilou
recycled
Mediteran barbecue

Started by nerissa on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post July 17, 2010, 11:15:18 AM
by nerissa

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Fishing Boats

Views: 4088
By: Buster
Kalkan