Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Curry anybody  (Read 13430 times)

Offline Mrgrimsdale

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Curry anybody
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 03:19:04 PM »
Lovely large fresh chicken kebab, massive salad, chips, copious fresh flatbread, hot sauce, yoghurt dip plus two drinks all for 24 TL. Add to that fantastic service and authenticity. Now that's what I call great value.
Pitkin

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 05:04:02 PM »
Lovely large fresh chicken kebab, massive salad, chips, copious fresh flatbread, hot sauce, yoghurt dip plus two drinks all for 24 TL. Add to that fantastic service and authenticity. Now that's what I call great value.

You can't compare Hunkar with TanZore.........that's like comparing apples & oranges. Hunkar is excellent, one of my favourites in fact, but fine dining it ain't.

If you look at the menus of the higher end restaurants in town I'm sure you'll find the prices at TanZore stack up.

As you enjoyed Hunkar, I'd recommend Chillies for authentic Turkish at very reasonable prices.

pw
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline Mrgrimsdale

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 04:20:32 AM »
Afraid  I disgree. How can it be like comparing apples and pears. It's lkke having a French meal in Greece or a Chinese in Spain. An Indian in Turkey 'just doesn't fit.' When in Rome, as they say, it's a much more pleasant  experience to enjoy local culture and cuisines than the'same old' as you can get on any high street. My bet is
 that this overpriced curry joint is nothing more than a commercial collaboration probably English owned and about as authentic as a packet of Vesta! Give me Cop Sis any day!

Offline Mrgrimsdale

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2013, 04:27:58 AM »

Pears! I meant of course to say oranges! It's all this confusing non-Turkish food in Turkey confusing one.

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2013, 07:46:13 AM »
they have a chef from pakistan. and its best indian i have ever had so authentic it is without a doubt! :)

Offline Mrgrimsdale

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2013, 08:12:36 AM »
Fair comment but Pakistani cuisine is as diametrically opposed to Indian as you can get. Authentically Indian styled it may be but aren't we supposed to be in Turkey? Nice to have choice but most of us eat curries at home. Very few, I suspect, regularly go for a Turkish. Still, if chicken Madras floats your boat during a call to prayer, enjoy! As the song goes: It's chapati and you eat what you want to, eat what you want to, eat what you want to. You would eat too if it happened to you!"

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2013, 08:18:09 AM »
"Authenticity" is very hard to establish in food and, if you go back far enough you will find that kebabs originated not in Turkey, but in Persia (now Iran). In fact, Turkey didn't even exist as a sovereign country when kebabs were first cooked. So it's a bit pointless to criticise an Indian restaurant in Kalkan based on the "authenticity" or otherwise of its food to the local area.

On that basis, no-one should eat pasta in Italy, because as far as Europe is concerned pasta didn't actually originate in Italy (which didn't exist then either) but in the area that is now known as... Turkey. On its way from China, via Mongolia, actually. And baclava - that famous traditional Greek/Turkish dessert - came from what is now the Lebanon, not Greece or Turkey... so pasta is actually more Turkish than either kebabs or baclava, if you want to be really silly about it.

Like I said... it's a pointless argument. As far as I'm concerned I don't care about the "authenticity" of any of the food I eat at restaurants in Kalkan. If it tastes good, is lovingly prepared and served in a warm environment with friendly and efficient staff, I don't give a fig (which isn't Turkish either) where it might have originated. Indian, Chinese, Persian, Lebanese or "Turkish" it's either good food or not-so-good food and, to me, that's the only divide.

Just saying.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 10:54:37 AM by MartynE »

Offline Blackpool

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2013, 10:36:40 AM »
I've had two excellent meals in TanZore thus far since it opened. When you've had a few hundred meals out in Kalkan, you'll probably find, like I did that this place is a breath of fresh air.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 10:39:01 AM by Blackpool »

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2013, 12:25:31 PM »
 :) thanks martin e and blackpool. can understand why tourists do not want to eat indian. but as we are out for weeks  and weeks its just nice to have a change. still would not favour  curry over turkish food but its good to have a choice :)

Offline Lynne T

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2013, 02:02:22 PM »
Before we went I felt the same " curry in Turky" . We ate there twice in 3 weeks and I would say it is one of the best curries I have had , throw in the view and there is no better .
Don't knock it till you have tried it !!  :)

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2013, 02:03:16 PM »
Does anyone know where the curry place is exactly? We'd love a ruby as long as it's not too hot. A map reference on Google maps or the name of the road/next shop would be useful.

Afraid  I disgree. How can it be like comparing apples and pears. It's like having a French meal in Greece or a Chinese in Spain. An Indian in Turkey 'just doesn't fit.' 

That seems a big change in opinion within a few days!

I tried Hunkar and didn't enjoy the place. Overrated. There are several establishments serving the same fare now so there is a lot of competition and even better prices to be found.

Offline Mrgrimsdale

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2013, 04:33:25 PM »
Chickengeorge. I, like your good self, reserve the right to change my opinion. Yes I do love a curry but have been massively impressed with the choice of local cuisine on offer. Perhaps if you are a fountain of local knowledge you would be so kind as to recommend a couple of places where me and Mrs D can find a healthy portion, cheaply priced but top quality English fry up. I really honestly wanted to try the Indian but was put off after receiving a few private messages from forum members about service and taste. That, together with seeing their prices were the deciding factors why we decided to go local. Thanks. Kev

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2013, 04:59:29 PM »
recommend a couple of places where me and Mrs D can find a healthy portion, cheaply priced but top quality English fry up.

Surely an English fry up in Turkey wouldn't fit. My wife makes a great fry up so I don't tend to have them in Kalkan.

Although I am of the opinion that holiday resorts shouldn't just offer the local cuisine. 

Offline Agent Ottoman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
  • Love Kalkan!
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2013, 05:03:58 PM »
I have to say that you are seriously missing out if you don't go! The food and service are both equally fantastic! As for it not being 'fit for Kalkan' I personally think its quite refreshing to have something different as many of the restaurants do offer similar dishes and styles. It could get quite boring eating kebabs every night for two weeks!!!

As for 'authenticity' the restaurant went to the trouble of importing a clay tandori oven, which must have cost a fortune to do and been a nightmare to coordinate.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2013, 11:57:33 AM »
Thanks OA. Glad you enjoyed your visit (s) to  tanZore.

Others.....Please try us before you post on EK.....it's the only fair way to comment.

As for prices, we believe we are competitive with other restaurants in Kalkan.

Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline Mrgrimsdale

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2013, 03:32:15 PM »
Sourced a great curry last night. Doy Doys. Tasty, reasonably priced and a view to die for!

Offline Automan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
    • www.baseautobodies.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2013, 06:41:53 PM »
I cannot wait to try Tanzore I love Indian food at home and we even cook it ourselves! After all I am on holiday in what I believe to be the best place on the planet.
But I am sure if I didn't enjoy the food that was presented to me I would tell the owner/ manager whilst I was there and not run a starting business down on a public forum. I do also realise that upper end restaurants are expensive and the likes of Hunkar are cheaper but that's the variety of Kalkan we like. After all we work hard all year and being in Kalkan is the best excuse to switch off and just enjoy the place, food and the wonderful friendly people.
Just saying!

Offline Mrgrimsdale

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2013, 07:27:59 PM »
Automan,  I was congratulating Doy Doys so presume you must mean someone else running another business down. Terrible thing to do on such a friendly forum. Tonight we had fish at Ada on the Kas road and it was delish.

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2013, 07:58:29 PM »
I really think some of your posts are not coming across very well MrGrimsdale. You have run down the Tanzore earlier on this thread, for no particular reason, as well as contradicting yourself several times. For example, was the curry at Doy Doy made by an authentic Indian chef. If not, then it doesn't seem to have met your criteria.

Offline pattaya

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2013, 08:32:24 PM »
I like your style ChickenGeorge  :laugh:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Curry take 2

Started by One sheet on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

6 Replies
Last post August 16, 2013, 02:26:11 PM
by onelove
xx
Indian Curry Ingredients

Started by bankieken on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

11 Replies
Last post March 14, 2011, 06:41:50 PM
by bankieken

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kekova Trip

Views: 2749
By: Bob & Jayne
Troy