Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: mosquitos  (Read 12328 times)

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: mosquitos
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 03:46:43 PM »
Think this year I'll rub my skin with the dreadful cheap white Turkish wine we bought from Yali's last time. Don't think that even the dreaded mossies could stomach that  :o

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2013, 10:00:53 AM »
....I read somewhere (may have been on here :)) that if you drink lots of sweet drinks it will also make you attractive to mosquitos. I like cocktails, baileys and ajabedam so I'm done for..... ::)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline headroom

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
  • Everyone smiles in the same language
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2013, 10:25:15 AM »
Hi do you get many mosquitos in kalkan and if so what do you recommend that stops you getting bitten. Thanks  ???
If you put some citronella essential oil (I usually put around 20 drops per bottle) in your sun cream and after sun you get both sun protection and mosquito repellent in one.
 Research has also shown they are attracted to the smell of feet, beer on breath and oddly the colour blue. At night time after a shower and applying after sun I also use the "Sin Kov" repellent around my feet, head and neck, it is available in most shops for about £1.50.
 I am a magnet for them and have bad reactions to bites so take it pretty seriously, also I take cetirizine it's an antihistamine daily, both citronella and cetirizine can be bought at Asda pharmacy counter very cheaply.
  As for the "jumping spiders" they are quite small and black and white in colour, we have not had problems with them in general but usually "dispatch" them if we see them, again the antihistamine would save bad reaction if you were unlucky enough to be bitten.
  Kalkan in my experience, is no worse than any Mediterranean country for mosquitoes (in fact it's probably a lot better because the local authority have a good spraying policy).
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 10:33:22 AM »
Blue and beer :o :o :o :o :o   guess i'm stuffed then!
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2013, 04:53:25 PM »
What about your little lizardy feet?? Are they whiffy?? If not, you may be safe. Make sure you give 'em the once over with your slaphead wipes!!  ;D

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2013, 05:06:59 PM »
Sacrebleu!!!i will have you know i have lovely piquant tootsies!!...it's those in those squeaky rubber crocs that would have to worry on that score!!!if  they come near you leave because they will only bring mozzies with them....squeak! squeak! squeak! squeak! ;D >:D

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2013, 06:42:47 PM »
As it is only the female that bites and would normally stay away from the male. I decided to see if there was any way to distinguish him from her. This is what I found:-

The female mosquito is the only stage that "bites". Most require a blood meal to produce a full compliment of eggs. They will also feed on nectar as do the males. People are well acquainted with female mosquitoes but rarely see the males unless they are in mating swarms. The sexes can be easily distinguished. Both have densely scaled bodies, legs and wings. The females have a long proboscis and sparsely haired antennae. The males have a proboscis, bushy antennae, tufted palpi and the end of the abdomen is modified into external genitalia.

So there you are, easy when you know how.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2013, 09:03:14 PM »
Wow BubblesG you're a budding Attenborough. Thanks for the info looks like I'll have to pack my night vision binoculars so I can quickly intercept the pesky females armed with trusty diamente flippen-floppen. Feel a bit sorry for the males all getting tarred with the same brush or should I say squished with the same flippen-floppen  :'(.

Offline michelle from newcastle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2013, 09:13:49 PM »
he he, loving this now. well im not wearing blue, spraying my feet with lemon juice. walking around with a citronella candle, drinking g&t, taking b1, and going to empty asda with all the remedies. ha ha . surely one of them will work x
Michelle x

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2013, 09:46:06 PM »
Head to foot nuclear protection gear should do the trick. Trouble is I think they might only do it in white. Then of course it would be really difficult to drink your Efes and you wouldn't be able to show off your latest diamante flippen-floppen. Mind you, one plus, you wouldn't have to fuss with hair  and  makeup  :laugh:

Offline LancashireLass

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
  • I long for the day when I return to Kalkan
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2013, 10:05:36 AM »
 ;D best thing u can get is a very good insect repellent read the label on the back and make sure it contains DEET it's the only proven thing to work.  Failing that just hang around the one person that the Mosquitos love to munch on and the chances are they will get bitten rather than you,  lol  :D
Janie Q

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Mosquitos

Started by AlbionFan on General Discussion

24 Replies
Last post July 24, 2012, 04:25:27 AM
by MartynE
xx
Mosquitos!!!

Started by Mustafa Raki on General Discussion

21 Replies
Last post July 20, 2008, 10:58:52 AM
by Em1
xx
mosquitos.....zzzzzzzzz!

Started by Blue Lizard on General Discussion

34 Replies
Last post July 22, 2014, 12:46:27 PM
by Skiddy
xx
Re: Spraying -mosquitos

Started by MartynE on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2013, 07:26:47 PM
by amber

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kim

Views: 854
By: Kim
Near the beach 1987