Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Indian restaurant in Kalkan  (Read 40287 times)

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Indian restaurant in Kalkan
« Reply #120 on: March 21, 2013, 01:21:33 PM »
Well, I've resisted so far,  but here goes...I doubt if we would go to an indian restaurant in Kalkan as we've never even tried the chinese yet (is it still there, does anyone go?)although our daughter looks at it longingly when we pass. The reason we probably wouldn't go is that we can usually only manage either one or two to two and a half weeks at a time in kalkan and there simply isn't enough time to try the more traditional and mediterranean style restaurants, let alone something we can eat regularly at home.
However, if I lived in Kalkan, or was fortunate to to visit for longer periods at a time, I'm pretty sure we would enjoy trying something different and I can imagine that I would get withdrawal symptoms if I had to go longer than 6 months without a chicken tikka passanda or a balti robja!!  >:D
We love Kalkan and we love it just how it is, just like Bazza does and probably just like we all do. The minute it ever became a Kavos/Marmaris type of resort is the minute we would stop coming, but I fail to see how an upmarket restaurant, with a top chef who cooked with quality ingredients can turn lovely Kalkan into Kavos. I know exactly where you are coming from Bazza (and I think I've guessed who you are!!) and I agree with your priciples on wanting to keep Kalkan a special, upmarket, fairly traditional resort for tourists, however an indian restaurant does not have to be chavvy or attract the wrong crowd.
I wish you well in your venture onelove and if you are open from 6th april, we may call in for a drink.  :)

Hi Lizilu20,

I Fully understand and respect your reason for not ( maybe  ::) ) wanting to eat curry while your on holiday, and thank you for your kind comments regarding the success of the new venture. Of course it's not going to be for everyone, What is ?  If someone can show me an idea that Everyone wants  to buy / do.....I'll happily invest in that too  ;D ;)   ;D

Really look forward to maybe seeing for a drink or two  8)
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #121 on: March 21, 2013, 01:32:35 PM »
Thanks onelove, we will look forward to that too. You must let us know the opening date and you never know - we may not be able to resist the aromas wafting from the kitchen!!!  ;) :) ;)

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #122 on: March 21, 2013, 02:00:14 PM »

Onelove
-
these other dishes that are on no other Kalkan restaurants be pies ??

We have no pies at all in Kalkan - Turkish or otherwise !!!

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #123 on: March 21, 2013, 02:17:22 PM »
"Variety is the spice of life and I would much rather see someone attempt to bring a quality alternative cuisine to the town than to open another typical Kalkan restaurant just like the other 100+.
Good luck to them!" - PW

Right on PW - couldn't agree more!

Kalkan is already no longer an 'authentic Turkish' town.  So much so that some Turkish friends recently decided to leave Kalkan for that very reason.  As for the restaurant menus, they are more international than truely Turkish according to other Turkish friends.  The restaurants do not serve what we eat in the homes of Turkish friends.

And finally, everyone in this forum seems to be British.  We are not and haven't even been in the UK since 1980, have never eaten fish and chips and don't know what a 'chav' is!  There are now other nationalities coming to Kalkan in the summer.  Last year we had German and Swedish renters.  In Kalkan we have French and Italian friends as well as British and Turkish.  There are more and more Americans and Russian tourists coming.  Do you think it's reasonable to tell the non-Brits to go to the UK if they want to eat an Indian meal? It sounds a tad arrogant.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 02:19:18 PM by Cosetta »
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #124 on: March 21, 2013, 02:35:18 PM »
Oh Cosetta thanks for talking sensibly I totally agree with you.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2013, 03:43:43 PM »
Thanks for your comments Cosetta and also your good wishes for the success of the restaurant
 ;) :) ;)

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #126 on: March 21, 2013, 06:50:29 PM »

Onelove
-
these other dishes that are on no other Kalkan restaurants be pies ??

We have no pies at all in Kalkan - Turkish or otherwise !!!

NO PIES! Love Kalkan as I do I couldn't live there!
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #127 on: March 21, 2013, 08:49:30 PM »
 :) lizzielou20  i may get my hands cut off and my tongue ripped out by some forum members to admit   that i have been twice every season to the chinese on the kalamar  road. have thoroughly enjoyed it. (never eat chinese in uk ) ! will look forward to having an indian if i fancy it!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #128 on: March 21, 2013, 10:26:15 PM »
Ha ha, good on you Samson  ;D ;D ;D proof that there's room for diversity in Kalkan. If anyone wants me to smuggle any contraband Hollands pies in my suitcase for when we come next month, just let me know!!    :o

Offline Automan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
    • www.baseautobodies.co.uk
« Reply #129 on: March 21, 2013, 10:44:59 PM »
All the best with your new venture Onelove. As a repeat visitor to Kalkan I think its a good thing to have a varied choice of places to eat but having said that we prefer eating traditional local quisine. We dont want the likes of MCDonalds & Burger King in Kalkan either but i hardly think that your Indian Restaurant will lower the tone of Kalkan as we know it. I know there is a Chinese Restaurant in Kalkan and so far  have chosen not to go there, however I know its there should I wish to enjoy a Chicken Chow Mein. Its good to have a choice.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #130 on: March 22, 2013, 06:00:01 AM »
Thanks for good luck wishes.

As we all know....'Time will tell'  ;) ;D ;)

Note ; looking back on the thread I noticed that once or twice it has been said that I have been 'upset' ......I can honestly say nobody has upset me during this thread and I have enjoyed All posts, and thank you all for your much valued contributions.

Onelove  >:D 8) >:D

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #131 on: March 22, 2013, 07:15:22 AM »

Onelove

Is that the name of the new restaurant that you have let slip maybe .......

TIME WILL TELL

??

Offline bazza1970

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #132 on: March 22, 2013, 07:25:44 AM »

Kaç İngilizce Ziyaretin önemi ya Kalkan yaşamayı tercih etmez, o ebediyen Türk olacak. On yıllık bir süre içinde her yerde Karaoke barlar ve bingo kanatları gördüğü halde, onun ruhunu asla kaybetmeyeceğiz. Her zaman ortak Küçük England'lıların uzak gizlemek için dağlar var olacak!  :angel:
:angel: >:D
Owner, holidaymaker and Kalkan lover

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #133 on: March 22, 2013, 07:33:21 AM »
Karaoke and Bingo, I dread the thought  ;) >:D ;).  'Aint got a scobby doo what the rest said  ;D :o ;D

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #134 on: March 22, 2013, 08:45:41 AM »

Onelove

TIME WILL TELL

??

The Name of the Indian Restaurant?
Could be the start of a whole new thread!

I'll start it off:

Suntan Doori  8)
Naando's
Curryoke
Bharji King
Argy Bharji
Balti Towers
Pitta Hut
Korma Chameleon
KFC (Kalkan Flaming Curry) ;D
B
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 09:29:40 AM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #135 on: March 22, 2013, 09:23:25 AM »

Onelove

TIME WILL TELL

??

The Name of the Indian Restaurant?
Could be the start of a whole new thread!

I'll start it off:

Suntan Doori  8)
Naando's
Curryoke
Bharji King
Argy Bharji
Balti Towers
Pitta Hut
Korma Chameleon
KFC (Kalkan Flaming Curry)  ;D
B

ARUBY

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #136 on: March 22, 2013, 09:30:45 AM »
How about Köri Ev?  :laugh:

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #137 on: March 22, 2013, 09:35:34 AM »
How about Posh Spice.....but don't know if that makes it upmarket or downmarket!

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #138 on: March 22, 2013, 11:17:24 AM »
Let me just say that I've never had an authentic Indian Meal in an Indian restaurant, and certainly not in the UK!

Similarly, I can say the same for Greek, Chinese, Thai and Lebanese.  The jury is still out on Italian, French and Spanish.

I'm comparing them to meals I've had in the respective countries or the homes of people from those countries.

So why are we surprised by the internationalisation of restaurant food?  Are we expecting Americans to be making BigMacs, KFCs or Dominos Pizzas in their kitchens?

When I come to Turkey, I do try to avoid the very top-end places (principally because they aren't as good as they think they are), and attempt to get as close as I can to local cuisine as often as I like.  If the food isn't authentic Turkish, then it does, at least, put a Turkish slant on it, that is completely different to anything else.  Which is why many UK restaurant goers think they know about other cuisines (Indian, Chinese, etc) when it is really that what they are looking for is satisfied (or not) by the relevant restaurant that they go to.

I don't have an issue with an Indian Restaurant in Kalamar Road.  It will go with the Chinese.  I can then wait for the Spanish, German, French, Portuguese, Malaysian, Malawian, Fijian or Icelandic restaurant to open up as necessary.

Just keep them out of the Old Town, so that something of the character is retained, and avoid stringing them all together so that it turns into Torremolinos.

That said, I'm still looking forward to enjoying the restaurants in Kalkan that I like, even if I know that, often, I'm not eating exactly what a villager in the Taurus Mountains may be having...

Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
« Reply #139 on: March 22, 2013, 05:17:37 PM »
Am i right in thinking " ARUBY " is going to be in the old Chapter one restaurant premises,next to Adda tours,and not on the Kalamar road

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Mr Happy Massage

Views: 3168
By: pw
Views of Kalkan