Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Post Summer blues  (Read 22472 times)

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Post Summer blues
« on: October 26, 2012, 05:32:11 PM »
Anyone else suffering?

I have been back for 8 days, (all dank and overcast mainly) with 186 days to go before next visit to Kalkan. I feel today, like it is never going to come around. Then, the clocks go back this weekend and the weather forecasters are predicting a long cold winter. Add to that no new, interesting topics on this forum. What hope is there?
Anybody who mentions Christmas, the EU or, the economy is going to get flamed. Be warned.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10518.0
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Re: Post Summer blues
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 05:43:03 PM »
BubblesG I feel your pain! We were in Istanbul 3 weeks ago which was lovely but I've had a cold and cough ever since I've been back! I look on here to get cheered up.....and everyone is talking 'sensible' topics, revaluations, marketing etc......please someone put on a holiday report full of sunshine, humour and general lovely Kalkan talk......even if it is completely made up!!!  :'(

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 05:56:05 PM »
Yeah sharing your pain too :( Freezing cold up here in the frozen north. Had to scrape ice from my car this morning and not looking forward to the clocks going back tomorrow at all!
Seems like a lifetime of rotten cold and wet weather to come before I get back to my beloved Kalkan  :'(

Offline KalkanPosh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 06:09:33 PM »
Flying back to Kalkan on Sunday. Will do my best :)

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 06:21:24 PM »

Flying back to Kalkan on Sunday. Will do my best :)

Oooooooooooooohhhhhhh  >:( >:(

Have a wonderful time  :D

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 07:47:29 PM »
Ditto everyone!! I keep logging on but nothing to have a giggle or an envious thought about (apart from kalkanposh, oh lucky lucky you).
Even saw a short flurry of snow this afternoon :-(
Does anyone  know any good jokes to lighten the mood? Come on blue lizard, I'm sure you can entertain us boring bu**ers!!!

I'll try and start off with a witty ditty ( I'm grasping at straws now!! )

How long is it now to Kalkan?
I'm fed up, pale and I'm wan (sorry but it rhymes!)
Can't stop comfort eating,
Turn up the damn heating
Wish that Asda tomorrow was can can!!!

I'm sorry, that was rubbish but I tried  ;D ;D :-\

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 08:13:43 PM »
here is a poem....by Blue Lizard aged 7
Tomatoes,Tomatoes
My brother Jim
He had Tomatoes thrown at him
Now Tomatoes don't hurt when they come in a skin
But these b*****s did cos they come in a tin
xxxxxx ;D

People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 08:23:28 PM »
Yeyyy that's the spirit  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 08:41:26 PM »
Lizilu, don't be blue, we will soon be in Kalkan too!!!! and we are as you know looking forward to sharing a large of bottle of vino!!!! (sorry that bit doesn't rhyme)!!!

J

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 09:02:57 PM »
Love it!!!! I can't wait  :-*  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 09:10:16 PM »
Love it too Lizilu, and can't wait either.  273 days to go!

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 09:24:39 PM »
Woe woe woe woe
It's cold enough for bloomin snow  :(

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 09:40:08 PM »
Yes, Lizilu, very trying.

Ahhh! I'd forgotten about the ice. B*m. Not had any down here since I got back, think it's promised for tomorrow or Sunday, though. Oh! and the central heating is on the blink with at least a week to wait for the chap who serviced it less than 2 months ago. Life, if that's what you can call it, just gets better and better.

Offline Korderekid

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 10:29:41 PM »
This morning after three wet and mostly overcast days, woke up to brilliant blue skies.  As the sky lightened, took my coffee onto the terrace and watched as the sea changed from pale silver to deep turquoise.

The bird song provided a wonderful accompaniment to breakfast and then one of our local woodpeckers arrived and perched on top of the wooden electric pole and rattled out his morning call.

A neighbour came with a large portion of raw meat. They had gone to Bezirgan yesterday and the family had sacrificed a sheep and saved some for me. Not quite what I was expecting to have for breakfast but I appreciate their generosity. Reciprocated with a plate of baklava.

Sat in the  very warm sun for an hour watching the bees foraging for nectar. The poor  things are confused by the recently planted poinsettias, lots of colour but no flowers. The Canna lilies have come back to life and are waving at the sun and the osteopermums are now a blaze of purple along the garden wall. Even the roses have come back into bloom . Just as I was about to go in, three rather portly frogs hopped across the terrace, followed by one of or cats who watched in puzzlement as they disappeared into the pond.

Drove into Kalkan at 11, the ullage is strung with uniting and flags for the Bayram holidays and in the sun looks so cheerful. All the tourists are out in shorts and t shirts making the most of the good weather after the aim, we locals are already in our winter clothes, which admittedly are just t shirts and long trousers.

Tried to park at the harbour, not a space to be had. So many Turksh tourists here for the long holiday from Isanbul and Ankara.

Walked along past the restaurants, everyone wishing everyone else 'Iyi  Bayramlar'.so many smiles, so many happy people.

Over 100 sun beds on the each occupied, children splashing in the shallows and adults basking in the warm water.

I've come down to cheer on the intrepid swimmers who are swimming from Mouse island to the beach to raise money for charity. The buzz of excitement in the large crowd waiting for them grows stronger as they are spotted a few hundred metres out.

After an heroic swim of over 4 hours they arrive at the each in remarkably good shape and very high spirits. Feel humbled by their efforts.

Meet up with friends and decide to have lunch at Fener but there are no seats in the shade and its just too hot in the sun to be comfortable so find a shady corner table at Seaport and enjoy fresh fish and wonderful salads.

As the weather is so gorgeous we start to plan a boat trip for next week. Probably our last one of the season. Move on to Kleo for coffee and catch up with more friends. Start talking about how we are all going to spend the winter, so much to look forward to. Winter is by far the favourite season for residents, we can usually rely on blue skies and sunshine even when the temperature falls and there are several people who swim all year as the sea stays quite warm.

Think about going home and to our astonishment, it's nearly 5 p.m.what a wonderful way to let the time slip by.

Decide I can't face the still quivering meat in the fridge so buy a cooked chicken for supper, which I eat on the terrace at 8 p.m. With an almost full moon and a sky so full of stars that it looks as though it has been created specially for me.

At  10 take the dog for a walk, an owl is perched on a tumbledown goat shed and bats swoop in and out of the shadows. In the distance see a family of wild boar off for their nightly feast of roots and bulbs. Glad we're heading in the opposite direction.

Come back and look at EK, see how sad you all are. Hope I might have cheered you up just a little bit.

Good night, sleep well.

Offline Helshe

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 10:45:16 PM »
Oh Korderekid, that sounds idyllic! Is it truly as wonderful to live there as i imagine when i am there for my 2 week holiday? I have been so tempted so many times to up sticks and head over on a more permanent basis.

I too feel that the long cold Winter is just beginning and the next trip to Kalkan is so far away, not even booked yet in fact. Mind you, there is a small matter of a trip to Tanzania in January to look forward too. Now that will be different!!

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 10:50:17 PM »
Cheered us up!!!!! Just about to put a warmer duvet on top of the one that's already on the bed. Was feeling sorry for our guests in Kalkan because the weather since they arrived on Monday hasn't been great but now I'm envious.

Still it's not all bad...had a lovely time watching the 3D version of Madagascar 3 at the cinema with my 7 year old grandson today and my husband & I will be eating out then watching the new James Bond tomorrow for a bit of escapism. You'll notice it's all winter weather entertainment though and we have the clocks going back this weekend to look forward to.

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 12:09:24 AM »
Wow Korderekid  :D Sounds simply wonderful and so eloquently written. Definitely made me even more homesick for Kalkan but loved reading about your wonderful day. Please enjoy many more  :)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 09:04:06 AM »
Thank you Korderekid, just what I needed to see me through the next few weeks. Your day sounds absolutely wonderful and I pictured it all as I was reading. Please give us another instalment soon to continue to cheer us up. Hope all your days are as lovely as yesterday for you.    :) :)

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 10:05:36 AM »
Hey! Woke up to brilliant sunshine this morning. Dorset isn't such a bad place after all.
Even the KordereKid's post couldn't make me envious on a morning like this.

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 10:46:37 AM »
Sounds great Kordere Kid, we're on countdown to coming back out on 27 December! Really looking forward to it.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Post Kalkan Blues

Started by Rachey on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2010, 08:17:26 PM
by Charlie
xx
There's only one way to cure the post holiday blues................

Started by pw on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post July 08, 2012, 12:09:25 PM
by pw
xx
Bad restaurant experiences - to post or not to post?

Started by Mags on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

12 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 12:41:27 PM
by Enişte
xx
Holiday Blues...

Started by cleworthallray on Holiday Reports and Reviews

32 Replies
Last post September 28, 2010, 02:48:00 PM
by Blue Lizard

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal