Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Post Summer blues  (Read 22477 times)

Offline Joeyloveskalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Post Summer blues
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 05:22:08 PM »
Thank you Korderekid for taking the time to cheer us all up.

Jo

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2012, 05:47:12 PM »
now thats the sort of post we want......Kalkan in all its glory.......thanks!

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2012, 09:34:07 AM »
Weve booked with Mor and Dave our friends to come to your Sahane apartments next year. Can you tell me where they are situated. Cant quite work it out
Love Kalkan and cant wait to return for three weeks next year.

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2012, 02:38:49 PM »
Hi Joycie
We're in the Old Town, so a great location, near Genpa supermarket and the newly located Oz Adana.
The KTLN location code is KY2 C14 so you can see exactly where using that.
Hope that helps    :)

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, 03:57:31 PM »
Thanks looks great

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2012, 06:45:05 PM »
Korderekid, where have you been hiding..?
I can't tell you how fabulous your day sounded and I expect more from you over the coming weeks :)
Remember folks...EK Forum isn't just for summer, it's for life ;D Please don't desert us during the cold winter months, leaving just a few die-hards on here :P
In three weeks I will be leaving our miserbale country, with its austerity cuts, dank miserable weather and poor performing Premiership referees to head to the Caribbean....or at least I think I am. BH may have booked us two weeks in Skegness as a joke :o Nonetheless, I'll be checking into the EK Forum - probably daily - to get my fix...so don't dissapoint me now will you..? :-*
By the way, we've stayed at Sahane...lovely apartment, great location - literally 2 mins from Moonlight with a spectacular mini cardiac hill to burn off the calories (or you can go for the burn and take the steps..) on the way home. Have a great stay joycie
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2012, 08:30:03 PM »
Thankyou for cheering me up with the blissful thoughts of cardiac hill to look forward to. Nearly had a heart attack once or twice on our way to Cafe Vita from Kalkan this year. Mind you it was worth it once we got there even if a couple of our four legged friends did decide to play with passing cars and I walked the whole way with my hands over my eyes.

Offline Korderekid

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2012, 02:08:13 PM »
Sometimes the dream has to end and today, the weather seems determined to shatter all those wonderful memories of long, lazy summer days basking in the sun.

Woke up early around 6 ish and took the dogs for a quick walk, the sky was already overcast and thick with cloud. The black clouds coming in from the sea were a bad sign. When bad weather comes at us it always settles., when it comes from behind us it is usually held in check by the mountains.

Made coffee and sat in the garden, the temperature was wonderfully mild but it was getting darker by the minute and thunder started rolling around the hills, bouncing across the bay, grumbling angrily, muttering and moaning. Dogs took flight and went back to bed.

Strange noises coming from kitchen, not thunder but 'death wish ' chicken. This is a neighbours chicken who has a strong desire to end it all. Last week I rescued it from the dogs jaws , the dog had been carefully carrying it round the garden for an hour,. The previous week I was halfway to Kalkan in the car and death wish chicken popped up from boot, it must have jumped in when I opened the tailgate to put in the rubbish. It accompanied me for the next hour, sitting on the dashboard, strangely enough nobody in Kalkan took any notice of me driving around with a chicken for company.

Today death wish, perhaps unnerved by the thunder had managed to wedge half it's body in the space between the fridge and the kitchen units and was
stuck. Must remember to keep the front door closed to stop death wish coming in. Each time I tried to pull it out, death wish in its fright did a large poo. Chicken poo is very runny.

Suddenly a huge clap of thunder and the heavens opened, absolutely torrential rain, thick cloud so low lying that Kalkan has completely disappeared. Death wish so startled by noise that it shoots backwards into the kitchen, straight into the jaws of the dog yet again. Persuade dog to drop chicken, pick up chicken, which poos again, on me. Put it outside.

Storm now so savage that the plants and trees in the garden are bent almost in half. Watch helplessly as all my newly planted seedlings, planted out on Sunday are washed away down the hill.

Suddenly realise that there is rather a lot of water. We are at the bottom of a steep slope. An extensive storm drain system prevents us from flooding but something has happened to block the drains. The hall is now under two inches of water.

Rush out to discover huge boulder brought down the mountain by the storm is blocking the drain.

Takes half an hour to move boulder. In that time hall and kitchen flooded to a depth of several inches. Had death wish chicken stayed it could have ended it all by drowning.

Spend the next hour mopping up flood. Storm still raging. Now fork lightning is crackling all around. Look at clock, still only 8 a.m. Looks like its going to be an interesting day.

To think I complained all through July and August about the unrelenting heat. Dream of long, lazy sunny days. Go and find wellingtons in the garage.

KK

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2012, 04:56:07 PM »
Fab, fab, fab Korderekid, thanks again!! Death wish chicken sounds like a real character and what a good dog you have, the chicken would have got its wish granted if it met our jack Russell unfortunately!! I hope the weather improves for you soon and that the flood hasn't caused too much destruction.  :)

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2012, 05:14:38 PM »
Now my day doesn't seem too bad! Still wish I was in kalkan though.

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2012, 05:37:52 PM »
Now my day doesn't seem too bad! Still wish I was in kalkan though.

What! with all that rain? Once the day got going it has been quite nice here. No floody chicken though!
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2012, 07:22:34 PM »
yes despite the weather in Kalkan still wish I was there. The storms are a sight to behold!

Offline headroom

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
  • Everyone smiles in the same language
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2012, 07:53:19 PM »
Loving your writings KK!
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2012, 05:50:35 AM »
Woke up this morning to find a deep raging river flowing quickly down my road! It was the same yesterday but even worse today.Another day for my lovely Primark union jack wellies!!

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2012, 09:35:49 AM »
KK, sorry about your weather problems, saw some pictures and it looked dreadful, glad you are OK.
I must confess I am still laughing about Death Wish chicken, you ought to start a blog on its behalf, it will be a hit!!!!!
(unless your neighbours decide they are hungry one day and then it WILL get its wish >:D >:D >:D

Offline Mags

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 63
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2012, 12:05:49 PM »
KK: your post about DeathWishChicken was the best-written and funniest post I've ever read on EK - please keep it up.
I agree with the previous poster that DWC deserves a blog all of her very own.

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2012, 01:58:48 PM »
Looks like the sun is back out now though - which is more than can be said for the mainly overcast UK...

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2012, 05:34:32 PM »
loved this Korderekid...Death Wish Chicken is my new hero. BTW, a bird pooing on you is lucky...well my Grandmother always said it was, so you never know what's round the corner.
The storm looked dreadful on the pictures on KTLN and other Facebook pages. I hope there wasn't too much damage and everyone is safe.

Offline Korderekid

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2012, 09:22:21 AM »
As Death Wish Chicken seems to now have quite a following, thought her growing band of fans might like and update on her recent activities.

We are lucky to live in an area where we have daily deliveries of fresh milk, bread and vegetables. Once a week the household goods van arrives, selling everything from cooking pots large enough to boil soup for fifty to goat bells and once a fortnight our mostly elderly Turkish lady neighbours become quite giddy and girlish when the clothes van arrives.

. Here they can buy two metres of the latest flowery cloth to turn into voluminous trousers, ankle length brushed cotton bloomers, perfect for the coming cold winter nights and a pair of plastic shoes in bright pink.

Although we are just 4 km from Kalkan by road and probably less than 1 km if you took the quick way by jumping off the mountain, many of the ladies here never go into Kalkan. Our closest neighbour, a lady in her 50,s has not been there for 15 years. They consider it far too exotic and foreign and if they need to venture further afield for big purchases they will go to Kinik or even Elmali.

Death wish is from just such a household but has been seduced by the bright lights of Kalkan and can no longer stand being a country chicken. She wants to be a big city bird and is determined to run away from home.

So this morning Death Wish waited by our gate for the bread man to arrive. He is usually here by 7 a.m.but today was a bit late,. He opened the back of the van, took out our order and came to collect the money for the week. DW seized the moment and jumped in the back. Inside there was bread, hundreds of loaves, and DW forgot entirely about going on her travels and began to peck her way through the entire stock.

Bread Man returned. Went to shut van doors and spotted DW. He let out a terrible roar. It was probably heard in Kalkan, grabbed her by the leg and said he was going to wring her neck.

Even though she is not my chicken, I am growing quite fond of her. Pleaded with Bread Man to reconsider, said I would buy all bread she had spoiled. (Anyone got any good recipes for using up 9 loaves of slightly pecked bread?)

Bread Man relented. Threw DW to the ground, she looked a bit shocked,  gave an indignant squawk and flew up into the branches of the fig tree.

Later saw her disappearing into our garage. Not a good idea. Our Kangal ( Turkish Mountain dog) sleeps in the garage and is quite partial to fresh chicken. Went to retrieve her as learnt from Bread Man that best way to carry chicken is by the legs so though I would give it a go. No sign of her. Fortunately no sign of dog either so know she is not eaten. Eventually find her perched on water tank, sitting comfortably on two fresh eggs. Breakfast sorted. Boiled eggs and lots and lots of soldiers, in fact nine loaves worth.

As I write this she is sitting on the roof of our car, no doubt planning the next big adventure.

KK

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2012, 11:59:47 AM »
Poor little DW chicken! Glad s/he survived to tell another tale. Great post...I hope you enjoy lashings of bread and butter pudding with all those loaves! KM

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Post Kalkan Blues

Started by Rachey on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2010, 08:17:26 PM
by Charlie
xx
There's only one way to cure the post holiday blues................

Started by pw on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post July 08, 2012, 12:09:25 PM
by pw
xx
Bad restaurant experiences - to post or not to post?

Started by Mags on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

12 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 12:41:27 PM
by Enişte
xx
Holiday Blues...

Started by cleworthallray on Holiday Reports and Reviews

32 Replies
Last post September 28, 2010, 02:48:00 PM
by Blue Lizard

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Pebble and Mr.Pebble

Views: 780
By: Pebble

Views: 3717