Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Problem Villa Renters  (Read 11491 times)

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Problem Villa Renters
« on: June 11, 2010, 07:36:04 PM »
HI
Has anyone had problems with people who rent villas near to then and constantly play loud music, scream shout etc and refuse to remedy their behaviour
What actions did you take, or can you take to resolve these issues assuming that the culprits take no notice of polite requests.
It seems somewhat unjust that those that rent out their villas and enjoying the income generated are elsewhere, whilst those near at hand suffer.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=5681.0

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Problem Villa Renters
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 08:54:46 PM »
Haven't had any real problems very near to us but have some very large villa's close by who rent to large parties, they seem to think its ok to shout & scream around the pool with loud music. This has been happening over the last 2yrs now.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Lauren

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 09:26:49 PM »
We had a similar problem last year when a group of teenagers rented out the villa next door to ours, we emailed our villa owner and she passed on our comments to the owner of the villa next door - who apparantly made sure they wouldnt be renting to them again. I think thats probably the best thing to do otherwise owners have no way of knowing if their occupants are respectful or not.

Offline kim21

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 01:36:30 PM »
I think when you do get a problem with noisy people its very important to let the villa owner know. If the noise goes on into the night call the zabita, the number's on the site somewhere, after all some people have to work in the mornings and don't want to be kept awake
never buy a house anywhere without an independent surveyors report

Offline jacaranda

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 12:24:52 PM »
We had a real disturbance the other night in our neighbourhood by a group  (12 of them!) of very drunk people partying in their pool and hot tub until the daylight hours.
I have since found out it is the owners daughter and friends staying there, so i guess you can vet potential guests all you like but you cant vet your neighbours!

Offline Suffolk folk

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 04:40:10 PM »
We have just received our first complaint about guests at our villa making sufficent noise to upset those staying nearby.   Obviously, we apologised for the disturbance and contacted the guests - though they had already left the villa, we felt they should be told that their behaviour was not acceptable.  They showed as little concern for the villa itself as they did for other holidaymakers and they will NOT stay at our villa again.  We will deal with such problems if we are made aware but we are in the UK and pay local agents to look after the property, see guests are OK etc.  It is my view that the management fee includes having to deal with this sort of thing and not just the nice "meet and greet" stuff.   Mrs SF.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 09:16:20 AM »
Hi Mrs. SF.  It must be rather embarrassing having received a complaint re bad "guests", but when you mention  about your management people dealing with these sort of situations, are they fully aware that is what you expect, are your guests aware of that fact & just as importantly are your neighbours aware of that fact, they would then know who to contact should there  be any problems.
We have a house, we do not rent out but a good few around us do, no one has ever popped in to say," Oh by the way,  in case of any problems with guests " etc & in some cases a lot of owners are unaware of who their neighbours are as it is purely  a business for them. If, as you say your "guests" showed very little concern for your property, do you really think that they will take any notice of some representative from your managment company calling around to advise them re their behaviour, having witnessed some of them, I think not sadly.   

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 09:42:39 AM »
As you so rightly say DRBD renting out a villa is a business and usually the owners are sat in the UK receiving the income whilst their neighbours in Kalkan suffer the problems without recourse.
How you can deal with this is problematic as I agree management agencies would not consider that going round to the villa at night maybe when it is noisy, is any part of their remit.
As for the Zabita they struggle even with commercial premises making too much noise to deal with an individual villa.
But as long as renting goes on these problems will keep re occurring

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 01:20:04 PM »
It's difficult for owners who rent out their property to vet their guests in advance - who knows who will be noisey and who won't? Avoiding group lettings would help if your property is particularly near homes that are occupied, or a polite notice in the property to remind guests to keep noise levels down after dark. I think problems have also occurred in the past when owners have allowed their young adult children to stay at their properties with a group of friends..so perhaps owners should be a bit more responsible in that respect :-\
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Derya

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 03:01:27 PM »
Unless your managment company lives nextdoor to your villa how would they know about the noise right away? They would probably would find out at a later date however as word does get round this village about noisy groups and where they are staying so you have all been warned!!

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 03:26:07 PM »
Derya if you knew who the management company were you could ring them at night whilst the problem was occurring
Would be interesting to hear their reaction to maybe being dragged out of bed !!

Offline Derya

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 03:49:23 PM »
Sorry kevincat I didn't make myself clear, my post was supposed to be tongue in cheek, meaning how on earth can a management company possibly be expected to be checking guests behaviour 24/7, I would never expect anybody to be woken in the middle of the night.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 05:13:24 PM »
Hi Derya
Sadly mine wasn't - it can be a recurring problem with no real solution
Would you fancy confronting a group who had been out drinking all night if they were disturbing your sleep
Don't really know what the answer is !!

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 05:22:53 PM »
Im assuming people are taking deposits for the bookings and wont refund them if noise has been an issue like breakages - I know its a bit after the horse has bolted but maybe deter them from doing it again another time  ???

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 08:42:41 PM »
Sadly I think the police would regard that as theft.

I agree it is too much to expect an agent to go round and sort it out. Just like in this country there is very little you can do, if the disturbance is not at a level that gets the police interested.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 09:16:08 PM »
Perhaps if it was written into the terms and conditions of the rental it wouldn't be regarded as theft?
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 08:58:16 AM »
Perhaps if it was written into the terms and conditions of the rental it wouldn't be regarded as theft?

Maybe but I wouldn't fancy the job of trying to write the contract and defining the criteria
for witholding the deposit, deciding who was qualified to decide if they were breached, etc,etc

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2010, 09:29:45 AM »
Ek - But wouldn't they do it again?  A point that was mentioned in Mrs SF comments was "they will not stay at our villa again" they know who these rowdies were, but who else does?  Should these people have liked Kalkan so much that they return but to another rented out villa, the same thing could happen, they & the likes of them who are selfish enough to spoil other peoples enjoyment very seldom seem to care.  And if noise/disturbance is reported after their departure how is it dealt with then by the property owners who are letting out, the damage has already been done.

Perhaps the new noise law that has been recently mentioned could be a good thing, nothing after midnight, wherever in Turkey, if it was sanctioned
  - Peace - ;)

And the villa owners who let their teenage children/young adults, use their properties & run riot whilst parents are not there should certainly be more responsible - they are yours, it is your property - think of others especially those who are resident or almost resident.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 12:22:58 PM by DRBD »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2010, 09:50:50 AM »
is there any way owners can share information on problem guests through owners direct or holiday lettings? This wouldn't stop individual owners still letting their property out to these guests, but might make those who put responsibility to their neighbours above profit think twice.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2010, 09:59:16 AM »
I have always said I am more than happy to create a password protected owners section on EK where people who own in the same complex, eg Patara Prince, Nur etc have a private discussion forum - This could be used to exchange messages about maintenance issues, costs or many other things.

Just let me know what you think ;)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Villa renters beware

Started by soprano on General Discussion

12 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 08:09:43 PM
by waterskibabe
xx
Renters - What are your preferences?

Started by kalkanbelle on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post February 16, 2013, 05:42:20 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Wi Fi - Is it important for renters?

Started by kalkanbelle on General Discussion

48 Replies
Last post January 30, 2012, 09:44:11 PM
by Cosetta
xx
Owners experiences with renters

Started by Cosetta on General Discussion

27 Replies
Last post September 09, 2011, 12:35:10 PM
by onelove

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

capodocia

Views: 3375
By: chinacat
June 2011 Holiday