Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Passport Pizza  (Read 12663 times)

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Passport Pizza
« on: April 23, 2012, 02:28:58 PM »

I am very surprised that no-one has yet commented on one of the new arrivals in Kalkan

Passport Pizza in front of the Nur hotel comes complete with it's extensive garish signage and "McDonald's" type fast food concept

Is this the first of many such places which will spoil the perceived sophisticated ambiance of Kalkan and move it towards the Marmaris type resort ?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9311.0

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
Re: Passport Pizza
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 02:41:49 PM »
For those who haven't seen it it's a  pizzahut style franchise operation, but a bit more garish and downmarket

link below

http://passportpizza.com/

Yum yum
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 04:40:59 PM by alantj »

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 02:53:07 PM »
Anyone think Kalkan needed this?   Anyone can't wait to try it out when they arrive in Kalkan?    It will be interesting to see if anyone on this forum thinks this is a great idea.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 03:15:43 PM »
I'm glad it's a owner/resident that posted this as in the past when people have made comments like this it has been said that tourists/visitors need to think of the people who live there year round. I have absolutely no problem with there being pizza places in Kalkan, although I've not been there Fotos Pizzas gets rave reviews, its the signs that are the problem....and I suppose the whole 'fast food concept'. In my opinion if too many more of this type of shop/restaurant pop up in Kalkan then it will completely change the atmosphere.

Offline iyiislamlar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 03:21:55 PM »
Having been coming to Kalkan for 18 years we have seen many, many changes. Even so that does not give us the right to comment that "many have not been for the better". That is purely a personal and best kept personal opinion.
What develops in Kalkan is there to satisfy British needs and requirements, they cater for us remember as we are their bread and butter generally (although I question that in the case of a national franchise).
Let times move on and still enjoy other parts, most other parts of Kalkan that do not resemble our City Centres back home.
When we first started visiting Kalkan the majority of villas and apartments were bought by childless  newlywed couples or those with a young family. Those families are now in their teens or at Uni and come to their parents villas with friends of the same age and where do that age group eat (rightly or wrongly) these days? Pizza Hut/MaccyD's probably.
We will look the other way  when we pass and still enjoy the Moonlight, our favourite restaurants and back to the Moonlight and let the younger ones eat at the Pizzeria and leave us in peace. Well that is the plan.
See you again in June Kalkan and have a great summer.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 06:37:29 PM »
There are plenty of places in Kalkan that offer pizzas and "fast food" and someone must believe there's a market for this type of establishment, along with the supermarket chains etc. otherwise they wouldn't be there :-\ There are lots of places that open up and close after one season, this might be another of those - if it isn't I would suggest they are supplying demand and Kalkan may be going in a direction that makes it unpalatable for some. C'est la Vie ::)
Is it part of the Nur, KC?
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 06:54:43 PM »
 The growth of several fast food outlets and national supermarkets chains in Kalkan may not please all the tourists and residents but it has had a very positive impact on local employment, particularly in creating jobs for women.  There are now a number of full time (not seasonal) jobs on offer in these establishments and many of these jobs have been taken by women, who until now have found almost no employment opportunities in Kalkan

These new employers are offering working conditions,  salaries and benefits which are regulated by national employment legislation.

Whilst Kalkan has always had some good employers, there have been far too many who exploited their workers.   At the end of every season there are quite large numbers of workers who are told that they will not be paid at all or who are paid only a fraction of what had been agreed at the start of the season.  These seasonal workers rarely had contracts of employment and no protection in law.  Even if you were paid your full entitlement, your job inevitably ended at the beginning of November, so you earnt nothing for the next six months.

In Britain, recession permitting, we do have employment opportunities and we benefit from employment legislation which protects us should an employer arbitrarily decide that he is not going to pay our salary.  Because we can earn, we can afford to come to Kalkan on holiday.

I wonder if the tourists who come here ever give a thought to the hundreds of waiters, tourism workers,shop assistants etc who make their holiday so special, but who have never had a  holiday in their lives because they do not have the employment opportunities we have?

So before deciding that these new retail outlets are a 'bad thing', think what a difference they are making to people's lives.

Lantana

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 07:21:47 PM »
You can't argue with that - very good point and well made as usual, Lantana :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 09:09:27 PM »
I agree completely about the employment issues and supplying demand.....I just wish there was some regulation of signage......as there would be in areas of outstanding beauty in many countries.....like iyiislamiar I'll look the other way!

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 10:32:42 PM »

Is it part of the Nur, KC?

Its on the ground floor of the Nur hotel.   

Offline cptergun

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
    • boattripturkey.com
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 11:28:15 PM »
This is not good to hear franchises in Kalkan. I don't want Kalkan to be like Fethiye, Bodrum, Marmaris.
Kas, Kalkan and Kekova’s premier daily boat trip & gulet charter operator in Turkey.
         www.boattripturkey.com

No1 Things to do In Kas on Tripadvisor

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 06:56:02 AM »
Not everything here in Kalkan is down to supply of British needs, there are numerous Turkish people living in Kalkan who have moved from such places as Antalya, Ankara, Istanbul & else where to make this their home & to set up businesses & some have become quite important people in Kalkan.  Infact we were only speaking to a couple the other day, came to Kalkan from Ankara last year for a weeks holiday & now living & running a business. So although the only red banners I would like to see flying about the town are the Turkish flags rather than pizza parlour ones, not everything is down to British expats. Agree with Lantana about the payment of staff & their waiting to be paid etc, they are with these new outlets getting some sort of security or we would hope.  Not one of Kalkans finest attributes, making payments to those owed, in many cases.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 08:43:48 AM »
As someone recently pointed out, it's the signage not the issue of these places which is very questionable. It stands out very, very much from the road. KM

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 08:52:53 AM »
Reading the original post by KC99 I think there were 2 issues, one the fact that the Pizza place is here & the other being the signage.  Lets bear in mind Turkey thrives on fast food, balik sandwich, shish kebabs, chicken sandwich etc, just not the likes of Macdonalds & the the signs.

Anyway it's here now but will it last or end up like a lot of other businesses .............................
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:55:23 AM by DRBD »

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 09:16:52 AM »

Hi DRBD

I have no issues with the fact that it sells pizza, [ and it gives both the British and Turks who live here another choice of food] but with  the large garish signage which conflicts somewhat I would suggest, with the image that Kalkan likes to portray

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 09:34:01 AM »
Apologies KC99 - as mentioned thought there were 2 issues.  Anyway lets look on the brighter side, if we have another gale like last week & we don't fancy that,  the sign may not last that long ........................... but we are hoping we have turned that corner re weather.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 10:41:35 AM »

Must be good if you are staying at the Nur and the pool is full of pizza eaters :o

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 02:21:42 PM »
It was good to read your post Lantana saying that the new supermarkets etc arriving in Kalkan will give reliable employment for local people, especially women.  To be totally honest I had not thought of that angle and it is a very important point.  I had more thought that local people already in employment in Kalkan might be concerned about larger businesses arriving in Kalkan and taking custom away from existing shops and restaurants.

Also (again I have to confess I don't like garish signs anywhere, not just in Kalkan) that I had a feeling local people might not be overenthusiastic about these signs.   I looked back at a report from the October 2011 meeting of the Kalkan Beledye Board when the subject of some possible bus shelters came up: to quote "some local people have recently complained that they are not in keeping with the aesthetic heritage of Kalkan - especially the illuminated adverts that will be on the sides of the new shelters".  I don't think those illumuninated adverts on bus shelters ever came about but the discussion at the Beledye meeting seemed to indicate that at least some local people were not keen on the arrival of garish signs.   

I certainly have nothing against people enjoying pizzas in Kalkan, indeed over the last year or so I have had an occasional very good pizza (accompanied by Efes) at Chillies.   Makes a great lunch with no effort on my part!

I am looking forward to my next visit to Kalkan - counting the weeks now - I am sure that whatever the latest additions/changes to Kalkan may be it will still be a wonderful place with a warm welcome.

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 03:40:47 PM »
Don't think I would want to stay at the Nur now with a fast food pizza place in the entrance and round the front pool. The signage is really 'in you face'. Went past at lunchtime today and it had a number of business suited locals eating there so it clearly has a market for it's food. Like some of the other posters it's not the fast food or the pizza I dislike but it's the appearance of the place.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 05:34:20 PM »
Baris obviously doesn't have a problem with it ::) As Kalkan Regular points out, it might be incredibly off-putting for anyone staying there now - I wonder if the private apartment owners were consulted about the signage as it could impact on their business?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Pizza

Started by henty0 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

9 Replies
Last post July 28, 2016, 07:22:01 AM
by pw
xx
Fotos pizza

Started by muckyones on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

13 Replies
Last post August 19, 2012, 09:31:34 PM
by caradog
xx
Foto's Pizza

Started by Chris S on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2014, 11:56:45 AM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Turkish pizza ?

Started by kboutiche64 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

3 Replies
Last post November 09, 2015, 10:26:57 PM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kekova 2006

Views: 3779
By: yoyo
Gironda's