Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping => Topic started by: kevincat99 on April 23, 2012, 02:28:58 PM

Title: Passport Pizza
Post by: kevincat99 on April 23, 2012, 02:28:58 PM

I am very surprised that no-one has yet commented on one of the new arrivals in Kalkan

Passport Pizza in front of the Nur hotel comes complete with it's extensive garish signage and "McDonald's" type fast food concept

Is this the first of many such places which will spoil the perceived sophisticated ambiance of Kalkan and move it towards the Marmaris type resort ?

Title: Re: Passport Pizza
Post by: alantj on April 23, 2012, 02:41:49 PM
For those who haven't seen it it's a  pizzahut style franchise operation, but a bit more garish and downmarket

link below

http://passportpizza.com/

Yum yum
Post by: tortoise lady on April 23, 2012, 02:53:07 PM
Anyone think Kalkan needed this?   Anyone can't wait to try it out when they arrive in Kalkan?    It will be interesting to see if anyone on this forum thinks this is a great idea.
Post by: Babs on April 23, 2012, 03:15:43 PM
I'm glad it's a owner/resident that posted this as in the past when people have made comments like this it has been said that tourists/visitors need to think of the people who live there year round. I have absolutely no problem with there being pizza places in Kalkan, although I've not been there Fotos Pizzas gets rave reviews, its the signs that are the problem....and I suppose the whole 'fast food concept'. In my opinion if too many more of this type of shop/restaurant pop up in Kalkan then it will completely change the atmosphere.
Post by: iyiislamlar on April 23, 2012, 03:21:55 PM
Having been coming to Kalkan for 18 years we have seen many, many changes. Even so that does not give us the right to comment that "many have not been for the better". That is purely a personal and best kept personal opinion.
What develops in Kalkan is there to satisfy British needs and requirements, they cater for us remember as we are their bread and butter generally (although I question that in the case of a national franchise).
Let times move on and still enjoy other parts, most other parts of Kalkan that do not resemble our City Centres back home.
When we first started visiting Kalkan the majority of villas and apartments were bought by childless  newlywed couples or those with a young family. Those families are now in their teens or at Uni and come to their parents villas with friends of the same age and where do that age group eat (rightly or wrongly) these days? Pizza Hut/MaccyD's probably.
We will look the other way  when we pass and still enjoy the Moonlight, our favourite restaurants and back to the Moonlight and let the younger ones eat at the Pizzeria and leave us in peace. Well that is the plan.
See you again in June Kalkan and have a great summer.
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 23, 2012, 06:37:29 PM
There are plenty of places in Kalkan that offer pizzas and "fast food" and someone must believe there's a market for this type of establishment, along with the supermarket chains etc. otherwise they wouldn't be there :-\ There are lots of places that open up and close after one season, this might be another of those - if it isn't I would suggest they are supplying demand and Kalkan may be going in a direction that makes it unpalatable for some. C'est la Vie ::)
Is it part of the Nur, KC?
Post by: Lantana on April 23, 2012, 06:54:43 PM
 The growth of several fast food outlets and national supermarkets chains in Kalkan may not please all the tourists and residents but it has had a very positive impact on local employment, particularly in creating jobs for women.  There are now a number of full time (not seasonal) jobs on offer in these establishments and many of these jobs have been taken by women, who until now have found almost no employment opportunities in Kalkan

These new employers are offering working conditions,  salaries and benefits which are regulated by national employment legislation.

Whilst Kalkan has always had some good employers, there have been far too many who exploited their workers.   At the end of every season there are quite large numbers of workers who are told that they will not be paid at all or who are paid only a fraction of what had been agreed at the start of the season.  These seasonal workers rarely had contracts of employment and no protection in law.  Even if you were paid your full entitlement, your job inevitably ended at the beginning of November, so you earnt nothing for the next six months.

In Britain, recession permitting, we do have employment opportunities and we benefit from employment legislation which protects us should an employer arbitrarily decide that he is not going to pay our salary.  Because we can earn, we can afford to come to Kalkan on holiday.

I wonder if the tourists who come here ever give a thought to the hundreds of waiters, tourism workers,shop assistants etc who make their holiday so special, but who have never had a  holiday in their lives because they do not have the employment opportunities we have?

So before deciding that these new retail outlets are a 'bad thing', think what a difference they are making to people's lives.

Lantana
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 23, 2012, 07:21:47 PM
You can't argue with that - very good point and well made as usual, Lantana :)
Post by: Babs on April 23, 2012, 09:09:27 PM
I agree completely about the employment issues and supplying demand.....I just wish there was some regulation of signage......as there would be in areas of outstanding beauty in many countries.....like iyiislamiar I'll look the other way!
Post by: alantj on April 23, 2012, 10:32:42 PM

Is it part of the Nur, KC?

Its on the ground floor of the Nur hotel.   
Post by: cptergun on April 23, 2012, 11:28:15 PM
This is not good to hear franchises in Kalkan. I don't want Kalkan to be like Fethiye, Bodrum, Marmaris.
Post by: DRBD on April 24, 2012, 06:56:02 AM
Not everything here in Kalkan is down to supply of British needs, there are numerous Turkish people living in Kalkan who have moved from such places as Antalya, Ankara, Istanbul & else where to make this their home & to set up businesses & some have become quite important people in Kalkan.  Infact we were only speaking to a couple the other day, came to Kalkan from Ankara last year for a weeks holiday & now living & running a business. So although the only red banners I would like to see flying about the town are the Turkish flags rather than pizza parlour ones, not everything is down to British expats. Agree with Lantana about the payment of staff & their waiting to be paid etc, they are with these new outlets getting some sort of security or we would hope.  Not one of Kalkans finest attributes, making payments to those owed, in many cases.
Post by: Kalkan Magic on April 24, 2012, 08:43:48 AM
As someone recently pointed out, it's the signage not the issue of these places which is very questionable. It stands out very, very much from the road. KM
Post by: DRBD on April 24, 2012, 08:52:53 AM
Reading the original post by KC99 I think there were 2 issues, one the fact that the Pizza place is here & the other being the signage.  Lets bear in mind Turkey thrives on fast food, balik sandwich, shish kebabs, chicken sandwich etc, just not the likes of Macdonalds & the the signs.

Anyway it's here now but will it last or end up like a lot of other businesses .............................
Post by: kevincat99 on April 24, 2012, 09:16:52 AM

Hi DRBD

I have no issues with the fact that it sells pizza, [ and it gives both the British and Turks who live here another choice of food] but with  the large garish signage which conflicts somewhat I would suggest, with the image that Kalkan likes to portray
Post by: DRBD on April 24, 2012, 09:34:01 AM
Apologies KC99 - as mentioned thought there were 2 issues.  Anyway lets look on the brighter side, if we have another gale like last week & we don't fancy that,  the sign may not last that long ........................... but we are hoping we have turned that corner re weather.
Post by: kevincat99 on April 24, 2012, 10:41:35 AM

Must be good if you are staying at the Nur and the pool is full of pizza eaters :o
Post by: tortoise lady on April 24, 2012, 02:21:42 PM
It was good to read your post Lantana saying that the new supermarkets etc arriving in Kalkan will give reliable employment for local people, especially women.  To be totally honest I had not thought of that angle and it is a very important point.  I had more thought that local people already in employment in Kalkan might be concerned about larger businesses arriving in Kalkan and taking custom away from existing shops and restaurants.

Also (again I have to confess I don't like garish signs anywhere, not just in Kalkan) that I had a feeling local people might not be overenthusiastic about these signs.   I looked back at a report from the October 2011 meeting of the Kalkan Beledye Board when the subject of some possible bus shelters came up: to quote "some local people have recently complained that they are not in keeping with the aesthetic heritage of Kalkan - especially the illuminated adverts that will be on the sides of the new shelters".  I don't think those illumuninated adverts on bus shelters ever came about but the discussion at the Beledye meeting seemed to indicate that at least some local people were not keen on the arrival of garish signs.   

I certainly have nothing against people enjoying pizzas in Kalkan, indeed over the last year or so I have had an occasional very good pizza (accompanied by Efes) at Chillies.   Makes a great lunch with no effort on my part!

I am looking forward to my next visit to Kalkan - counting the weeks now - I am sure that whatever the latest additions/changes to Kalkan may be it will still be a wonderful place with a warm welcome.
Post by: Kalkan regular on April 24, 2012, 03:40:47 PM
Don't think I would want to stay at the Nur now with a fast food pizza place in the entrance and round the front pool. The signage is really 'in you face'. Went past at lunchtime today and it had a number of business suited locals eating there so it clearly has a market for it's food. Like some of the other posters it's not the fast food or the pizza I dislike but it's the appearance of the place.
Post by: kalkan4eva on April 24, 2012, 05:34:20 PM
Baris obviously doesn't have a problem with it ::) As Kalkan Regular points out, it might be incredibly off-putting for anyone staying there now - I wonder if the private apartment owners were consulted about the signage as it could impact on their business?
Post by: zola on April 25, 2012, 10:48:30 AM
when ever i go to fethiye the burger king, mc donalds and pizza places are packed out, and thats in the winter time. Mainly full of local school kids, it's not only the brits that enjoy all of these fast food places, Turkish people like them too.
 Teenagers love them , kids love them as they have their birthdays etc there with their friends.
Last week i had an Indian meal here in Kalkan where the cook came over from calis, there was at least 60 people sat there enjoying it too, all English! The big Mc meal i had in Fethiye cost me 7.95 and was to die for, the Indian was fantastic, so if they were here in Kalkan i know where i would go.
These big chains will come here as the town gets larger, more villas means more people, and youngsters prefere a choice, plus the cost of taking 6 kids out to a resturant to eat Turkish food is wasted on some as most would prefere pizza or a big Mc, some older people would too!
Post by: tortoise lady on April 25, 2012, 12:06:50 PM
I should make a correction to my last post.   A family member has pointed out that what I eat at Chillies are pides not pizzas.    Very good anyway.

I will be interested to see how the new pizza place in Kalkan is doing when we are out there in June and whether it is attracting a good mix of locals and visitors.

Anyone staying at the Nur hotel or apartments in the coming weeks can give us an update on how it is going.   Can't quite work out if the pizza place has taken over all the eating outdoors area at the front of Nur or if they still have their own section.   Does anyone know the answer to this?   
Post by: Blue Lizard on April 25, 2012, 01:28:21 PM
i ordered a pizza from a menu in a popular kalkan restaurant..the affable, larger than life manager told me the chef would make me a special pizza "10 mins o.k?".....10 mins later a moped arrived and my beady lizard eyes spied a young lad go up the path next door...over the fence went the pizza..seconds later it came out through the front kitchen door on a wooden plate..."Bon Apetite" "Afiyet Olsun"..........was i bothered? not in the least, it was yummy ,i got what i wanted and he got my custom..and indeed still has on some occasions :D :laugh:
Post by: Kalkan regular on April 25, 2012, 04:41:08 PM
Like I said before it's not the pizza that's the issue, I had pizza for lunch today in Kas. I looked into the Nur as I went past today and the bar still seems to be there but all the eating area looked like it belonged to the pizza franchise. I wouldn't want to sit and have a drink at the bar, assuming it is still operating as a bar, as it would be like sitting at a bar in the middle of a McDonalds. The new glass that divides the road from the front pool and has replaced the wall means that you would be swimming in the pool surrounded by pizza eaters and overlooked by anyone passing, not my idea of a peaceful swim! The big banners advertising the franchise tied to the 2 first floor balconies don't do anything for the look of the Nur hotel. I assume they are hotel rooms and again I wouldn't like to find myself in one of them, overlooking the pizza tables.
Post by: Kalkan Magic on April 25, 2012, 06:23:16 PM
I agree with everything said by Kalkan Regular. I also don't think it really matters what type of food was being served my views would remain the same if the branding was emblazoned in this cheap way with tacky material and colours. The fact that it's pizza is quite incidental. KM
Post by: jayne on April 26, 2012, 06:48:56 PM
I agree that tacky signage is not a good look for a resort that sells itself on being up-market but have no objections to it being pizza. I do agree with Lantana's point about employment opportunities for women. We first started coming to Kalkan in 2005 and very few women seemed to be visable apart from the chamber maids in the hotels or occasionally on the till in the supermarket -  none of whom spoke English. One of the really postive things that has happened over the past few years has been how many women you now see see and get to meet that work front of house in restaurants, in the hotels, and running property management companies.
Post by: IssyG on April 29, 2012, 10:37:01 AM
Just seen the frontage of Nur hotel and Passport Pizza on the KTLN site - oh dear - it could be in Benidorm.  I know that sounds snobby but we all visit Kalkan because it ISN't Benidorm. Very disappointed - perhaps it'll look better in the flesh as it were!
Post by: mel on April 29, 2012, 11:02:09 AM
Believe me, it dosn't!
Post by: Kalkan regular on April 29, 2012, 11:05:31 AM
The picture was taken before the big colourful advertising posters were fastenrd onto 2 balconies on the first floor so the reality is worse!
Post by: Skunk on April 29, 2012, 01:00:24 PM
Such a shame to spoil what was a very nice hotel - we used to go there when a certain swimming pool nearby gave up the ghost.   Looks absolutely ghastly:'( :'(
Post by: joycie on April 29, 2012, 02:36:35 PM
We stayed at the apartments at the rear of the Nur last year and loved them so much have booked for three weeks this year. We had an enjoyable pizza from Omars and i'm sure we will do so again. Also certain that we will partake of one from the Nur franchise. Will let you know if it spoils the atmosphere but i'm sure it wont.
First came to Kalkan with Tapestry a couple of times and then with Exclusive escapes then had a couple of villas and now the lovely apartments behind the Nur. Just love it.
Post by: elcee on May 19, 2012, 11:27:06 AM
I will wait until I pass judgement - we are staying at the Nur apartments again in late September. We love the bar there so hopefully that will still be the same - but there is to be no more live music  :( which is a real shame.
Post by: Kalkan regular on May 19, 2012, 01:34:13 PM
The bar that was on the left as you entered the Nur is now in the middle of the Pizza outlet, although I think it is still a bar. The entrence to the Nur Hotel has been moved to the other side of the property.
Post by: johnl on May 22, 2012, 11:00:00 PM
We were last in Kalkan in 2010,at the time we did not know that it would probably be the last time ever.The financial situation has hit us hard so to all those who are complaining....it could be worse.If it upsets you so much look away or don`t go that way.We would love to be in your situation.
Post by: MartynE on July 30, 2012, 11:22:13 PM
Hi all... I have only just seen this thread so I'm adding my comments a bit late... but as the owner of some of the apartments at the rear of the hotel I guess you could say I have an interest!

Someone asked if we were consulted about the pizza place? The answer is no... the first we knew about it was when someone sent us photos just before we went over for our pre-season maintenance/cleaning trip in early May. The thing is, though ... Baris is entitled to do whatever he likes with his hotel!  The only connection we have with him now (apart from being friends) is that he and his staff handle the apartment cleaning and pool maintenance. We run a completely separate business from his, so he had no obligation to ask our opinion before taking on the franchise.

However, we did have a good chat with him about it in May. His point of view is that it's actually there more for the locals than for Brit tourists. He feels (and I can see his point) that the locals have been priced out of eating at many of the restaurants in Kalkan and a franchise pizza operation gives them the opportunity to go out (or get a take away) and feed a family relatively cheaply. It's also a useful lunchtime option for the people who work in the banks, offices etc in that part of Kalkan. But of course he won't turn tourists away!

We had a pizza or two there in May and it was pretty good, actually - roughly equivalent to what you would expect from a Pizza Hut in the UK. Personally, Fiona and I would rather the appearance wasn't quite so "in yer face" but it seems to have achieved its purpose - everyone knows it's there!! In any case, I don't suppose he had any choice about that, as the livery goes with the franchise - that's the whole point - Pasaport Pizza is a well known brand throughout Turkey, so what you see is what you get.

We're a little sad that the bar area has changed and the music bar has gone - but nothing stays the same, does it? In any case, there were lots of people who used to complain about hearing the music late at night, so presumably they, at least, will be happy now, won't they? ;)

Just goes to show, you can't please all of the people all of the time.   We've had mixed reactions about it from people staying in our apartments this summer... some hate it, and wouldn't be seen dead eating there... they just use the back entrance now and avoid the hotel completely. Some have used it, and loved it... the majority couldn't care less!

Good luck to him, we say. Baris is first and foremost a businessman, and if he has spotted a gap in the market and can fill it, why not? If it's successful he will have proved himself right... if not, he will probably just do what the Turks are very good at:  try something else next year :)
Post by: kevincat99 on July 31, 2012, 07:15:01 AM

Passing it ona fairly regular basis it always looks empty - or perhaps I pass at the wrong times :o
Post by: Honey on July 31, 2012, 09:17:10 AM
Just come back from Kalkan & there was not one single person in it day & night for the whole fortnight we were there...I think as it's right on the road with no privacy it's putting people off...
Post by: Skunk on July 31, 2012, 10:21:37 AM
Oh what a shame!  :-\
Post by: kevincat99 on July 31, 2012, 11:15:04 AM

Hi Skunk perhaps you could hold a member's meet there - to give it some business  ;D

This said very tongue in cheek  ::)
Post by: kalkanbelle on July 31, 2012, 02:16:20 PM
Is the hotel still a hotel?  Wouldn't fancy staying there and swimming in the pool with an audience!
Post by: Skunk on August 01, 2012, 12:36:14 AM
Hi Kevincat - what a great idea  :P :P  Actually we used to go there before le deluge, when the fancy poolside holiday we'd booked told us we couldn't use the pool.  Lovely people, great pool scene, side of the road protected by hedges etc, and a great good value lunch with a nice bottle of vino. Perfect. Mais pas maintenant je pense. 
Post by: MartynE on August 01, 2012, 08:02:08 AM
The word is that the hotel isn't taking bookings for next year and this year's remaining bookings are mainly Turkish people on business, so the pool environment is not an issue.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal