Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Passport Pizza  (Read 12681 times)

Offline zola

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Passport Pizza
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 10:48:30 AM »
when ever i go to fethiye the burger king, mc donalds and pizza places are packed out, and thats in the winter time. Mainly full of local school kids, it's not only the brits that enjoy all of these fast food places, Turkish people like them too.
 Teenagers love them , kids love them as they have their birthdays etc there with their friends.
Last week i had an Indian meal here in Kalkan where the cook came over from calis, there was at least 60 people sat there enjoying it too, all English! The big Mc meal i had in Fethiye cost me 7.95 and was to die for, the Indian was fantastic, so if they were here in Kalkan i know where i would go.
These big chains will come here as the town gets larger, more villas means more people, and youngsters prefere a choice, plus the cost of taking 6 kids out to a resturant to eat Turkish food is wasted on some as most would prefere pizza or a big Mc, some older people would too!

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 12:06:50 PM »
I should make a correction to my last post.   A family member has pointed out that what I eat at Chillies are pides not pizzas.    Very good anyway.

I will be interested to see how the new pizza place in Kalkan is doing when we are out there in June and whether it is attracting a good mix of locals and visitors.

Anyone staying at the Nur hotel or apartments in the coming weeks can give us an update on how it is going.   Can't quite work out if the pizza place has taken over all the eating outdoors area at the front of Nur or if they still have their own section.   Does anyone know the answer to this?   

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 01:28:21 PM »
i ordered a pizza from a menu in a popular kalkan restaurant..the affable, larger than life manager told me the chef would make me a special pizza "10 mins o.k?".....10 mins later a moped arrived and my beady lizard eyes spied a young lad go up the path next door...over the fence went the pizza..seconds later it came out through the front kitchen door on a wooden plate..."Bon Apetite" "Afiyet Olsun"..........was i bothered? not in the least, it was yummy ,i got what i wanted and he got my custom..and indeed still has on some occasions :D :laugh:
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 04:41:08 PM »
Like I said before it's not the pizza that's the issue, I had pizza for lunch today in Kas. I looked into the Nur as I went past today and the bar still seems to be there but all the eating area looked like it belonged to the pizza franchise. I wouldn't want to sit and have a drink at the bar, assuming it is still operating as a bar, as it would be like sitting at a bar in the middle of a McDonalds. The new glass that divides the road from the front pool and has replaced the wall means that you would be swimming in the pool surrounded by pizza eaters and overlooked by anyone passing, not my idea of a peaceful swim! The big banners advertising the franchise tied to the 2 first floor balconies don't do anything for the look of the Nur hotel. I assume they are hotel rooms and again I wouldn't like to find myself in one of them, overlooking the pizza tables.

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 06:23:16 PM »
I agree with everything said by Kalkan Regular. I also don't think it really matters what type of food was being served my views would remain the same if the branding was emblazoned in this cheap way with tacky material and colours. The fact that it's pizza is quite incidental. KM

Offline jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
    • Love Kalkan
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 06:48:56 PM »
I agree that tacky signage is not a good look for a resort that sells itself on being up-market but have no objections to it being pizza. I do agree with Lantana's point about employment opportunities for women. We first started coming to Kalkan in 2005 and very few women seemed to be visable apart from the chamber maids in the hotels or occasionally on the till in the supermarket -  none of whom spoke English. One of the really postive things that has happened over the past few years has been how many women you now see see and get to meet that work front of house in restaurants, in the hotels, and running property management companies.

Offline IssyG

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2012, 10:37:01 AM »
Just seen the frontage of Nur hotel and Passport Pizza on the KTLN site - oh dear - it could be in Benidorm.  I know that sounds snobby but we all visit Kalkan because it ISN't Benidorm. Very disappointed - perhaps it'll look better in the flesh as it were!

Offline mel

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2012, 11:02:09 AM »
Believe me, it dosn't!

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2012, 11:05:31 AM »
The picture was taken before the big colourful advertising posters were fastenrd onto 2 balconies on the first floor so the reality is worse!

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2012, 01:00:24 PM »
Such a shame to spoil what was a very nice hotel - we used to go there when a certain swimming pool nearby gave up the ghost.   Looks absolutely ghastly:'( :'(

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2012, 02:36:35 PM »
We stayed at the apartments at the rear of the Nur last year and loved them so much have booked for three weeks this year. We had an enjoyable pizza from Omars and i'm sure we will do so again. Also certain that we will partake of one from the Nur franchise. Will let you know if it spoils the atmosphere but i'm sure it wont.
First came to Kalkan with Tapestry a couple of times and then with Exclusive escapes then had a couple of villas and now the lovely apartments behind the Nur. Just love it.

Offline elcee

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
  • Lee Collins
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2012, 11:27:06 AM »
I will wait until I pass judgement - we are staying at the Nur apartments again in late September. We love the bar there so hopefully that will still be the same - but there is to be no more live music  :( which is a real shame.

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2012, 01:34:13 PM »
The bar that was on the left as you entered the Nur is now in the middle of the Pizza outlet, although I think it is still a bar. The entrence to the Nur Hotel has been moved to the other side of the property.

Offline johnl

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2012, 11:00:00 PM »
We were last in Kalkan in 2010,at the time we did not know that it would probably be the last time ever.The financial situation has hit us hard so to all those who are complaining....it could be worse.If it upsets you so much look away or don`t go that way.We would love to be in your situation.

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2012, 11:22:13 PM »
Hi all... I have only just seen this thread so I'm adding my comments a bit late... but as the owner of some of the apartments at the rear of the hotel I guess you could say I have an interest!

Someone asked if we were consulted about the pizza place? The answer is no... the first we knew about it was when someone sent us photos just before we went over for our pre-season maintenance/cleaning trip in early May. The thing is, though ... Baris is entitled to do whatever he likes with his hotel!  The only connection we have with him now (apart from being friends) is that he and his staff handle the apartment cleaning and pool maintenance. We run a completely separate business from his, so he had no obligation to ask our opinion before taking on the franchise.

However, we did have a good chat with him about it in May. His point of view is that it's actually there more for the locals than for Brit tourists. He feels (and I can see his point) that the locals have been priced out of eating at many of the restaurants in Kalkan and a franchise pizza operation gives them the opportunity to go out (or get a take away) and feed a family relatively cheaply. It's also a useful lunchtime option for the people who work in the banks, offices etc in that part of Kalkan. But of course he won't turn tourists away!

We had a pizza or two there in May and it was pretty good, actually - roughly equivalent to what you would expect from a Pizza Hut in the UK. Personally, Fiona and I would rather the appearance wasn't quite so "in yer face" but it seems to have achieved its purpose - everyone knows it's there!! In any case, I don't suppose he had any choice about that, as the livery goes with the franchise - that's the whole point - Pasaport Pizza is a well known brand throughout Turkey, so what you see is what you get.

We're a little sad that the bar area has changed and the music bar has gone - but nothing stays the same, does it? In any case, there were lots of people who used to complain about hearing the music late at night, so presumably they, at least, will be happy now, won't they? ;)

Just goes to show, you can't please all of the people all of the time.   We've had mixed reactions about it from people staying in our apartments this summer... some hate it, and wouldn't be seen dead eating there... they just use the back entrance now and avoid the hotel completely. Some have used it, and loved it... the majority couldn't care less!

Good luck to him, we say. Baris is first and foremost a businessman, and if he has spotted a gap in the market and can fill it, why not? If it's successful he will have proved himself right... if not, he will probably just do what the Turks are very good at:  try something else next year :)

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2012, 07:15:01 AM »

Passing it ona fairly regular basis it always looks empty - or perhaps I pass at the wrong times :o

Offline Honey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2012, 09:17:10 AM »
Just come back from Kalkan & there was not one single person in it day & night for the whole fortnight we were there...I think as it's right on the road with no privacy it's putting people off...

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2012, 10:21:37 AM »
Oh what a shame!  :-\

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2012, 11:15:04 AM »

Hi Skunk perhaps you could hold a member's meet there - to give it some business  ;D

This said very tongue in cheek  ::)

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2012, 02:16:20 PM »
Is the hotel still a hotel?  Wouldn't fancy staying there and swimming in the pool with an audience!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Pizza

Started by henty0 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

9 Replies
Last post July 28, 2016, 07:22:01 AM
by pw
xx
Foto's Pizza

Started by Chris S on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2014, 11:56:45 AM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Turkish pizza ?

Started by kboutiche64 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

3 Replies
Last post November 09, 2015, 10:26:57 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Fotos pizza

Started by muckyones on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

13 Replies
Last post August 19, 2012, 09:31:34 PM
by caradog

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal