Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Safety  (Read 10123 times)

Offline Villa B

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Safety
« on: July 26, 2012, 02:16:40 PM »
I know we hear much about burglaries. Without tempting fate has there been any reports of issues with young people being attacked or approached at night? W

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9902.0

Offline Bizz

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
Re: Safety
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 01:58:10 PM »
Hi Beylihan

I just returned from Kalkan :(

Most nights I stayed out until around 5:30am, with my sister, we're 19 & 16.

We didn't have any problems at all with burglaries, or being approached by anyone we felt was unsafe.  Most people just wanted to make sure we got home ok! :)  I've got a few friends there, and they'll always insist of walking you, or giving you a lift back. Also, the earlier you return to your apartment/ villa, the more people there are around at restaurants, or the taxi rank who I know would help if you got into trouble.

I really wouldn't worry, have a great holiday! :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 09:48:33 PM »
My daughter and her friend were out every night till about 4.00am when we were in Kalkan last month, she has been doing this since she was 15 and only once felt slightly uncomfortable leaving a bar and the manager of one of the harbour restaurants immediately stepped in to help....not that it was needed....we have always felt fine about her being out late in Kalkan.

Offline helen1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 11:07:02 PM »
I agree with Babs. My kids have been out and about in Kalkan, late at night, for several years now and have always felt safe....it's one of the reasons we keep going back. My daughter went with three friends last year for her first holiday without us (aged 17) and had a great time. The staff at the Samira, where they were staying looked out for them as did lots of the Turkish friends we have made in Kalkan.

Offline Firecat

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 11:53:48 AM »
Am I the only one more than a little surprised that 15 year olds are hanging around in bars until 4 or 5am with their parents' blessing?
Cat on a hot tin roof

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 11:57:21 AM »
No you are not, but who are we to pass judgement?

Offline Firecat

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 12:08:06 PM »
No you are not, but who are we to pass judgement?

A concerned individual commenting in the context of a thread headed 'Safety' in my case.

Offline BAS

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 02:03:21 PM »

I too would be very concerned about young girls being out on their own - partcularly until the early hours of the morning.

Turkish friends have made me aware of several incidents over the years and I post below Togmeister's posting in August 2009:

«Unsavoury goings on - on: August 10, 2009, 07:49:15 PM »Do not want to alarm people or worry people unnecessarily, but I have been made aware of some rather unsavory goings on in our lovely Kalkan. I do not want to go into details, others may want to. I do not want to put Mr EK into a difficult position again.

But please can all young (and not so young) ladies be vigilant and careful when out and about. Stay with you companions and friends.

I think the powers that be are in the process of doing something about it, or are well aware of the situation.

Sorry for being a bit vague, but had to say[/i] something, it could be very helpful to someone.[/i][/i]

Offline Firecat

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 02:46:46 PM »
Exactly BAS. Why would Kalkan be devoid of predators and weirdos, home grown or imported? Sometimes that whole 'holiday atmosphere' thing can lower one's guard a bit too much and the rules that apply at home get left at the airport. A fifteen year old is - although they hate to be reminded of it - still legally a child and one supposes not in the habit of bar-crawling until past dawn at home. 

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 04:23:14 PM »
Well I agree, but if parents are there I really can't see that it's any of my business.  Of course if I thought a child or young person on their own was in immediate danger I would do my utmost to protect them and look after them until I knew they were in a safe place.

Offline Firecat

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 05:50:45 PM »
I think the point here is that the parents are not 'with' them, other than in the sense of being somewhere in the same resort. Sure you can let your hair down and stay out late as a family on holiday, but casting fifteen year olds adrift to stay out all night is surely something else entirely?

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 06:27:39 PM »
Teenagers will be teenagers and in my experience you have no idea where they are once they are out of the house. Home or abroad. They are used to late nights and long lies in.
Teenagers who are savvy enough to go out clubbing/late night pubbing are are usually more streetwise than their parents in any event. And they tend to look out for each other.
You might not like it but that's the 21st century for you. Unless you have specific personal concerns about the safety of your own kids then I'd say in the politest way, mind your own business.....

PW
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 09:43:27 PM »
Mmmmmm....think I need to clarify here, when my daughter was 15 (actually a couple of weeks from being 16) she was out with her 18 year old sister. They had strict instructions to stay together at all times, which I fully believe they did, and they kept in touch by text.....even now when they are almost 21 and 23 they text me if they are gong to be later than expected etc.
I realise I have made myself out to be a very uncaring, casual parent here but this is far from the case, there is no way i would have allowed my daughters to have been out by themselves if I thought they were in any danger. Both my husband and I have always felt strongly that the waiters etc in Kalkan are very aware of their position and realise the risks to their reputation in such a close knit community.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 09:51:45 PM »
Firecat....I would like to assure you that my daughters were not in any way "cast adrift" we knew where they were and who they were with. Maybe we are very fortunate in that our elder daughter has always been sensible beyond her years. I personally feel Kalkan is a safe place for young people to have their first bit of freedom.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 06:36:48 AM »
If you cant give your kids a bit of slack in Kalkan...... I ask, where would you  ??? 8) ???

We all know NOWHERE is totally safe.....but come on ......Kalkan  :o ::) :o
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 09:12:48 AM »
As you say onelove nowhere is completely safe, it is all about knowing your kids, setting limits and strict rules and trust. My younger daughter has been with us with a friend a couple of times and they knew that if they didn't stick to the agreed rules then that would be it....no more going out for them! Its all about boundaries and knowing when to let go a little.....such is the joy of being the parents of teenagers!!  ::)

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 09:31:54 AM »
If you cant give your kids a bit of slack in Kalkan...... I ask, where would you  ??? 8) ???

We all know NOWHERE is totally safe.....but come on ......Kalkan  :o ::) :o

I think again we need to take the rose tinted glasses off again...not that long ago a British female tourist was seriously sexually assaulted.....and I know several female visitors that have had some awkward moments with local men...

Offline Bizz

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 10:00:42 AM »
I totally agree, and understand with Babs, but I also understand the concerns from others. 
 My sister and I were always under strict instruction to stay together all the time, also we kept in touch with our parents via text.  I think as along as you're sensible, and you don't give men the wrong impression you're mostly ok.  I understand, you can't trust everyone- so don't!  My mum usually stayed out with us until latish, she knew where we were and who we'd be with, she'd wait up and come to meet us if we felt we needed her to, she's always a text away.

I stay out until all hours back home too, when I go out clubbing, and I must say I personally feel safer in Kalkan... But everyone has their opinions.

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 10:32:14 AM »
Don't think anyone is wearing rose-tinted glasses but some seem to have sunglasses so dark they would give Roy Orbison a run for his money.  We know Kalkan is not perfect but it's also not Bogota, Beirut or Detroit.  Just be vigilant.

Offline kalkanlover

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 12:02:22 PM »
Am in my early fifties and have been visting Kalkan twice a year for over 10 years.  Unfortunately I had an incident last June when I was assaulted whilst walking home alone in the early hours.  It hasn't spoilt my love of Kalkan but I would just say be vigilant. Nasty things can happen anywhere.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Safety

Started by Natsky on General Discussion

16 Replies
Last post July 28, 2009, 09:47:40 AM
by onelove
xx
EK Admin, EK Helpers, EK Safety... what does it all mean!

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on Welcome & Frequently Asked Questions

0 Replies
Last post January 21, 2008, 07:07:02 PM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
Fire safety equipment

Started by Christina on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post April 25, 2014, 11:15:43 AM
by satovod
xx
Safety taking GBP due to burglaries

Started by amberpop on Money & Finance

8 Replies
Last post July 26, 2012, 10:47:36 AM
by Cosetta

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal