Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Safety taking GBP due to burglaries  (Read 4259 times)

Offline amberpop

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Safety taking GBP due to burglaries
« on: July 25, 2012, 06:33:54 PM »
Hi,
We are going to Kalkan in September, and, were thinking of just taking sterling with us (apart from about £50 for first night), to change to lira, but, are a little worried now due to reports of burglaries in the area. We do have a safe in our apartment, so are still considering just taking cash, any thoughts please?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9897.0

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
Re: Safety taking GBP due to burglaries
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 06:42:14 PM »
Personally, i wouldn't risk it - there are plenty of cash machines in town. But then again you could lose your wallet or card so there's no easy answer. Cash is king however and I think thieves would be less likely to nick plastic - but then again I guess it depends how sophisticated they are. Just thinking aloud here really!

I've been wondering if there are any safety deposit boxes in town, at the PTT maybe, that tourists can hire? If not perhaps there's a business opportunity for an enterprising local.

PW
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 07:27:39 PM »
We hardly take any cash.  We just get money out at the cash machines as and when we need it or use our cards to pay for things.  I rarely use cash in this country so it doesn't occur to me to take a load with me.  I know a lot of people complain about paying bank charges when withdrawing cash abroad but the convenience and security for me outweighs the small cost :)

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 07:43:29 PM »
Hi, re safety deposit boxes in town - KTLN includes information on this on its security advice. It says there are some at the PTT if that helps anyone that doesn't have one in their apart.

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 08:15:43 PM »
Hi, re safety deposit boxes in town - KTLN includes information on this on its security advice. It says there are some at the PTT if that helps anyone that doesn't have one in their apart.

Any chance you can post a link Kalkan Magic? I've looked on KTLN but cant find an article referring to safe deposit boxes.
Cheers
PW

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 08:26:08 PM »
JenJen, that's exactly what we do, rather than lose or be burgled (which is really worrying), it's much better in our opinion to pay the nominal charge to withdraw cash from the ATM, obviously providing not £20 at a time!

J&B

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 09:13:05 PM »
Hi Peter Wilka - just checked re Safes on KTLN (it's on the home security sheet). It says the following and it is banks that have them rather than the PTT. I'm sure if you need more info re which banks it is that offer this facility, John would be able to tell you. Mind you, looking at the price, it's expensive, probably ok if you're an owner and don't want to keep something in your villa or if you are just out in Kalkan a lot.
You can buy house safes locally (e.g. Bravocassa Furniture), for keeping valuable possessions.  With some insurance policies you may find that some expensive items, such as jewellery may not be covered unless they are in a safe.  Some banks in Kalkan also offer a safe custody facility, costing start in the region of 150 TRY per annum for a small box.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 06:38:52 AM »

Sadly safes bolted into walls have also proved no deterent in the past having been levered out of the walls

Maybe better to hide valuables elsewhere but in some of these minimalist villas I wouldn't know where is best

Logically don't bring too many valuables when you come on holiday - live without things for a couple of weeks

And do not leave them lying about for the casual thief - put items away somewhere - maybe kitchen cupboards, the bathroom nowhere obvious etc

Just make it hard and time consuming for the thief to find anything

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 10:47:36 AM »
Last year there was an interview with an ex-thief.  Among other things, he said that the first place a burglar will go is to the bedrooms.  Therefore, lock your bedroom doors as thieves will rarely destroy them to get in while you're sleeping !

And don't put valuables in wall safes.  It take 5' to lever these out of the wall.
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Safety

Started by Natsky on General Discussion

16 Replies
Last post July 28, 2009, 09:47:40 AM
by onelove
xx
Safety

Started by Villa B on General Discussion

31 Replies
Last post August 10, 2012, 08:53:38 AM
by Babs
xx
EK Admin, EK Helpers, EK Safety... what does it all mean!

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on Welcome & Frequently Asked Questions

0 Replies
Last post January 21, 2008, 07:07:02 PM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
Fire safety equipment

Started by Christina on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post April 25, 2014, 11:15:43 AM
by satovod

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Mediteran Goodbyes 2

Views: 3644
By: antler
June 2011 Holiday