Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Meis Island  (Read 3124 times)

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Meis Island
« on: July 12, 2012, 07:57:46 PM »
We're thinking about a day trip to Meis  during our next holiday. It looks very picturesque but I'm wondering if there's enough to do there to make the trip worthwhile.

Apart from eats and drinks is there anything else to do there? Or will it be like being marooned on a desert island until boat sets sail?

PW

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9811.0
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
Re: Meis Island
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
Do you know PW, we are in the same mind. We've been planning to go for the past few years but the thought of 5 hours or so in the blistering heat of July/August with nothing more to do than pass an odd hour or two at the harbour is not that appealing. We too would love to know if there is anything else to see or do.  :)

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 08:47:03 PM »
Hi both - we went last year,  somehow it felt extremly hot there, I think because it is sheltered from the wind that cuts across the Kas peninsula.   We hired a small boat, the captain couldnt speak a word of English/Turkish but he sailed us around the island pointing out caves, my OH actually swam inside  few,  it was really interesting.  As to cost,  struggling to remember, but dont think it was too expensive.  Certainly bring plenty of suncream and find some shade, it is worth going just to get a feel for the island.  I think there was an exhibition there also, with lots of old pictures when Meis was occupied and something on the history of the place.  Hope this helps.  Apparently the duty free is very cheap also, but we didnt purchase any as already stocked up on Bombay and Pimms!

Offline JenJen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 09:45:18 PM »
We went 2 years ago and loved it.  There isn't that much to do but it is a lovely day out and definitely worth a visit at least once.  If you like taking photos, it's especially brilliant for that.  There is a tiny little open-air museum which I think is free to enter and just encourages you to give a donation.  It's quite poignant seeing pictures of what the town used to look like just a few decades ago.  There are plenty of deserted streets full of abandoned homes to wander round and some spectacular views from the coastal paths if you feel moderately energetic.  I love social history so found the island's history fascinating.   It's definitely worth reading up on the island a little bit before or after you go to put everything into context and make your trip more interesting.

If you go in July/August, it will be quite busy as loads of Australian ancestors of the original island families go out there for the whole summer, before leaving again in September. 

There is a tiny duty free shop which isn't anything exciting to those of us just on a 2-week stay in Kalkan but we did buy some Jack Daniels really cheaply for a Turkish friend.

With regards to temperature, it was much cooler than Kalkan when we went as there was a really strong breeze.  Actually, 'breeze' doesn't do it justice, it was really windy.  Word of warning - if you do go, don't go on a windy day as a moderately windy day in Kas = a terrifying boat journey back from Meis.

We found it maybe slightly more expensive than Kalkan but not by much.  There are plenty of places for food and drink including a really nice taverna/pub place at the Eastern edge of the harbour which I'd recommend for lunch.  The owner was really friendly and told us lots about the history of the island.  It's also worth taking swimwear as you can have a swim to cool off before getting the boat back to Kas :)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 11:31:31 PM »
If you type "Meis" into the search facility you will get lots of peoples reports and tips about the place. We went about three years ago - during "Australia" month. Its well worth a visit but three tips, you need to take your Euros with you - the cash machine is notoriously unreliable, they have a siesta and almost all the shops will close at some point before the boat takes you back to Kas and its quite normal for the trip organisers to take your passport off you in Kas and keep hold of it for the trip.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline The Treets

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 08:44:02 AM »

We did the Meis trip this year and stayed over night, we found enough to do with a swim in the bay and wondering through the streets and the museum in fact we missed one walk that we were reccomended as we ran out of time and we also wqanted to de the little boat trip but it was a bit choppy.
In the evening the little harbour comes to life and is lit up and lively. We pre arranged with the Meis Express that we would be overnighting and the captain organised our hotel for us 50 euros for a double room with breakfast . It was really enjoyable and we would do it again.

M&M

Offline Bdancer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 10:35:31 AM »
I agree with the recent comments, we really enjoyed the day, and are thinking of overnighting at some point as it would be interesting to see it at night. It really is picture postcard pretty, and you can usually spot turtles swimming in the harbour. Good point about the siesta and it was hot when we were there, so taking swimming gear is a good idea

Isis

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »
Thanks for all your suggestions, not sure if we will go this year, but we will definitely visit Meis at some point. It's always on the to do list and it sounds and looks lovely. Do you just approach a boat in the harbour for a trip when on the island eg to visit the blue cave etc. Or do you have to arrange this in advance?  :)

Offline The Treets

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 04:02:44 PM »

As you get off the Ferry there are little boats offering trips to the blue cave etc. You can negotiate the price with them. As I said in the previos post it was a bit choppy the days we were there and we didn't fancy going out in a small boat.

M&M

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Kas to Meis Island.

Started by LancashireLass on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

9 Replies
Last post September 05, 2014, 01:08:19 PM
by kalkankiki
xx
Ferry to Meis Island

Started by kazilla on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2017, 01:21:51 PM
by kazilla
xx
Meis Island boat service

Started by jamie-n-kimbo on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

5 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 06:55:54 PM
by kim21
xx
Meis

Started by pw on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

13 Replies
Last post March 29, 2013, 04:03:54 PM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal