Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Best restaurants for limited mobility  (Read 4554 times)

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
Best restaurants for limited mobility
« on: July 09, 2012, 08:03:31 PM »
Hi all

Well Jon and I have now returned from another visit to Kalkan. Unfortunately this year I managed to slip round the pool halfway through our holiday and had to make a visit to Letoon hospital.After X Rays and MRI scans I found out that I had fractured my ankle and torn a ligament in my knee. To my distress my foot had to be put in a cast !

Anyway to cut a long story short, planning where to eat at night became a big priority. My top 3 restaurants to go to based on accessibility and of course food and ambience were;

1) Aqua Cafe Bar- loved this place so much, a great find.
2) Indigo Beach- great for sundowners and also reasonable priced set menu
3) Adams- always a favourite and not too many steps

I know this has been discussed briefly before but thought it would be good idea to get a list going which might help other people with mobility issues, so what are your recommendations? ;D

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9792.0

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: Best restaurants for limited mobility
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 10:37:39 PM »
Mussakka and Coast completely on the flat....once you get there ;) All the harbour restaurants are one level but these two are particular favourites. Ali Baba's (soup kitchen) and Touch Bistro - both no stairs.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 10:55:58 PM »
Kleo bar, aubergine (if you can afford it) Fener (except for the loos) white table, ground floor at Sofra, Korsan Meze, Seaport, Kaptan near the harbour all accessible but the great thing is you can get a cab back from the Pirat if you get to the harbour area.  Sorry you couldn't swim Mrs Ek - that must have been a real pain in that heat.  ::) ::) :( :( :'(

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 05:42:26 PM »
Hope you're doing ok now Mrs Ek, what is it with feet and injuries at the moment?!!! ::) ::) Kalkan can't be the easiest place for getting round when you're less mobile and i can't imagine not being able to use the pool in that heat :( :(
Nicky

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 07:47:44 PM »
We are a right bunch aren't we!! I've just had my knees injected ready for the downhill slopes and OH is in the middle of a gout attack.  :( The way we're going OH's mum and dad are going to be pushing us around in wheelchairs!! Hope you are ok Mrs EK, how awful for you not to be able to have a dip in the pool. Did you manage to try the water hammock before your injury? K4E, I hope you are fighting fit again and wearing your high heels with pride!  :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 08:50:32 PM »
 :) Yes it seems more of the same with us all doesn't it, but lets hope we will be better for out holidays in August.  Looking forward to meeting up with you wearing our EK badges if there are any left!

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 08:58:16 PM »
How about using taxi's to reach some restaurants and speak nicely to a local with a moped to take you to the ones you cant reach by car  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) 

Offline alisonh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 09:00:04 PM »
Bumped into Mr and Mrs EK on our last night after they had spent the day at hospital in Fethiye where, by the sounds of it, the doctors were very thorough.  Hope you managed to enjoy the rest of your holiday Julie, I could see that you weren't going to let it get you down despite the pain.  Hope the cast isn't on too long and if not don't forget to book in for that half a leg spray tan ;)

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 09:01:54 PM »
As a bit of an expert having been to Kalkan three times while recovering from a broken foot last year, I can second all Skunk's recommendation. We used to drive down in the hire car, I would get out at the bollards by the Mariner restaurant and then shuffle down from there. Taxi for the journey home tho! KM

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 09:23:43 PM »
Well at least we can all hobble around together Jayne, although I really hope your foot is better for your hols.  Our EK badges never turned up earlier this year so I'll try and pick some up while we are in Kalkan if there are any left.  Really looking forward to our meet up too  :)
Strangely enough, it was our first holiday in Kalkan when I first felt excruciating pain in my knees. I fell over  ( not drunk, and wearing crocs!) thought I'd  torn a ligament but upon MRI scans and xrays when we got home, turns out I had severe arthritis which I never knew about in both knees. I just thought everyone's knees ached when they got past 40 ha ha. I'm about 15 yrs too young for knee replacements so try to manage with injections about 2 weeks before Kalkan to hopefully give myself a little spring in my step. I find the downhill worse than the uphill. I suppose Kalkan isn't the best place to holiday with restricted mobility but I'm damned if I'll give it up!!!  ;D hopefully OH's gout will have cleared up and he can give me a firemans lift up cardiac hill if I'm struggling !!!

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 10:01:31 PM »
KM - the question is, who was the poor person who had to pick the car up the next morning?!!!x >:D

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 10:10:39 PM »
Misty agree with you about the taxi tip. We used a brilliant taxi driver called Ihan who used to pick us up directly from our villa and drop us outside the door of the restaurants. Also like you Kalkan Magic, I would get dropped off by the bollards at the harbour lol  ;D.

Nice to see you again Alison...will definatly be booking that spray tan if my tan hasn't totally faded by then  :'(

Lizilu I did manage to use the water hammock for a couple of days before....fantastic so much easier than a lilo !

One tip I must mention to everyone is make sure you wear shoes round the pool areas we spoke to a few people who had slips and trips this year.

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 10:22:27 PM »
Definitely agree -   I nearly fell badly this year on the marble floor inside the villa - just thought I would nip in for some ice cubes - very luckily managed to save myself.  Hope you all make a speedy recovery - can I recommend Clarke's flip-flops, very flat and generally have rubber soles - perfect for very slippy floors and very steep hills!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 11:00:20 PM »
Thanks for the tips Irene. I've just had a look at the Clarks website and they have some really nice flip flops on sale at the moment, 25% off some of them. Regarding the taxis at the pirat, we have got them from there before but only when we have eaten there and I think we asked them to call one for us. Do the taxis automatically pull up there like a mini rank, or do you have to order them? I quite fancy the idea of hitching a ride on a moped though like Misty suggested  ;D. Regarding restaurants,  I think everyone's recommendations are spot on.  :)

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 07:55:38 AM »
Your welcome - time to stock up for later this year and possibly next! >:D

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 07:58:55 AM »
http://www.superyachttimes.com/yachts/details/3858/
Saw this in the harbour last night and thought of you all :)
If you look at the details it's described as wheelchair friendly :) How thoughtful and at this rate if many more people succumb to fractured lower limbs we can all club together and hire it for an EK day out :D

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 09:03:44 AM »
My Croc flip flops were invaluable in Kalkan this year - very sturdy and only brought out for walking expeditions...ended up wearing them most of the trip ::)
http://www.crocs.co.uk/flip-flops-sandals/flip-flops-sandals,gb_EN,sc.html?sz=30&adid=google_ppc_0_UK_FlipFlop&gclid=COr1gLCTkbECFVQ8fAodEgkkk

I'm back in heels, Lizilu - yesterday for the first time :) :) Two weddings towards the end of July and I have a pair of ridiculously high (ridiculously expensive) shoes to wear which I HAVE to get into otherwise it's two new outfits >:D. The saga continues....

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 10:22:35 AM »
You do have to order the taxis from the Pirat but often the lovely young guy outside by the Sandals menu will order one for you.  Also, if you time it right they are coming for someone else and then will radio through for you.  Never thought of  hitching a lift Misty - will try that this time.  Yes I reckon a day out on that yacht would be just the ticket for all our ailing legs!!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 09:39:36 PM »
Irene - was it the flippen floppen or was it that extra G and T >:D

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 09:45:12 PM »
KM -  Pimms for me - G & T for OH!!x

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Start up cost for limited Company

Started by Calkris on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post April 01, 2015, 09:15:56 AM
by Poly
xx
Mobility scooter

Started by lindylou on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post January 25, 2012, 04:04:57 PM
by lindylou
xx
Mobility Scooter

Started by Wendy on The Everything Else Area!

2 Replies
Last post April 09, 2015, 12:47:24 PM
by Wendy
xx
Mobility Scooters

Started by yorkielovit on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post September 18, 2011, 12:38:33 PM
by Charlie

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal