Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: FLAT SCREEN TV'S IN KALKAN, TURKEY  (Read 13549 times)

Offline Mister Barnacle

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: FLAT SCREEN TV'S IN KALKAN, TURKEY
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 06:01:45 PM »
Oh Blow!!

We were hoping to bring out a mini hi-fi for our apartment next time across in April. We searched Kalkan & Kas when we were out recently - very little choice and when we found something it was about three times the price of something similar in the UK.

Anybody got any ideas?

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 06:38:04 PM »
Take a chance - if its small enough it can go hand luggage, if you have room in the suit case all well and good - keep your fingers x''d, breathe in &  have a slug of Bombay Saffhire    :-X ;)
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • Love Kalkan
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 02:27:27 PM »
Have been reading with interest this thread about electronic equipment not being allowed into Turkey from UK. Does anyone know why? and what constitutes electronic? and where are you supposed to declare it?

Sorry if these questions seem dumb but we take all number or electrical bits and bobs with us to Kalkan, i.e hair straightners, hair dryer, speaker for iPod and so on. I''m now scared I''m breaking the law! Are these electronic or is it just computery stuff, TVs and DVDs?

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 04:20:55 PM »
If it included computers, I would expect the queues to be about 10 deep at Dalaman - judging by friends the other people we let our villa to the average family now seems to travel with at least 1 laptop and a couple of games consules.

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 05:43:40 PM »
Coming home from Kalkan last July my daughter was stopped after having her hand luggage x rayed on arrival at Dalaman.  She had ipod speakers in her bag and when questioned about them explained that she had brought them into the country with her and was taking them home.  The guard detailed the info on a form and asked her to sign this.  I suppose legally we should have declared them on arrival into the country.  I know now I shouldn''t have but I have carried several pieces of electrical goods into Turkey and fortunately for me I have never been stopped.  Having said that I did believe if they were for my own use (even if this meant leaving them in our place there) that there wasn''t a problem.  Would probably be more worried about it now that I know the rules!

Offline vicksen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 06:28:32 PM »
Jayne & Alan - you should declare electronic devices at customs at Dalaman, after you have collected your baggage from baggage reclaim, and before you leave the airport.

Electronic equipment is any electrical device which amplifies and processes electrical signals. Things such as amplifiers, radios, tape players, and digital circuitry are electronic devices. A computer is an electronic device.

These can only be legally brought into Turkey if they are declared at the port of entry, if they are for your own use, and if they are taken out of the country again on your departure. Otherwise, they are not permitted.
When you declare any electronic item, it may be entered into your passport, and when you leave with it, it will be crossed off your passport.

In practice, 9 times out of 10, they''ll probably just wave you through, but you can''t count on it - and if you''re stopped, you could be in trouble.

Electrical equipment is not thus controlled; electrical items are things like hair dryers, electric drills, speakers, shavers, electric saws etc etc.
These can be brought in, but only if they are either for your own use, or as gifts, and either way only up to a limit. The TOTAL value of gifts allowed to be brought in used to be 500 DM, I believe it''s something like 300 euros now.

Again, much of the time, they don''t check very thoroughly, but you are taking a chance, if caught you can have the items confiscated AND be fined into the bargain.

Turkey is no different to any other country in having customs controls and allowances - and Turkey''s are a lot more generous than those of the UK (see my previous post for details of UK allowances). The allowance for souvenirs and gifts into the UK, for instance, is a measly £145.

The reasons are quite simply that each country wishes to protect its own trade and industry, and maintain its own tax collection.

Customs officers in Turkey, the same as their counterparts in the UK, aren''t daft -  a customs officer in Britain can guess that the two new carpets in your suitcase, the brand new leather jacket you''re wearing and the shiny new gold necklace round your wife''s neck have just been purchased in Turkey, and no, you didn''t take them with you on holiday, nor did you pay twenty quid each for them.
He knows you are telling him porkies, and attempting to smuggle in more than your due allowances, whilst trying to deprive HM Revenue & Customs of its rightful dues.

And in Turkey, he similarly knows that the brand new flatscreen TV and DVD player you have hidden under your smalls is not going to be used on holiday and taken home!

And I repeat, ignorance is NO defense - all this stuff is clearly written up in each country at the airports!
Ignore it at your peril! >:D

Offline clooneyrooney

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 09:23:14 PM »
So my hair straighteners are OK not to declare then.
I was starting to get worried that if I had forgotten to declare them I could have received 14 bad hair days as punishment. LOL.  :laugh:

What about my mobile phone with built in camera, MP3 and radio? Would I declare that?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 09:25:29 PM by clooneyrooney »

Offline vicksen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2008, 09:34:10 AM »
Theoretically yes, clooneyrooney, you should.

But it''s as I said, customs officers aren''t stupid. They are most unlikely to cause you any difficulties if they don''t think you''re trying to circumvent the laws and evade the taxes and duties.
They''re not likely to target a bona fide holidaymaker bringing in his mobile phone with him, because the chances are it is his own, he''s not bringing it in to sell it, and that he''s going to be taking it with him when he leaves.

But they are going to be just a bit sceptical that the dvd player, the TV and the music set all stashed under your M&S scanties are just to use on the beach during your week''s holiday, to be then taken home!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2008, 10:11:12 AM »
blimey!!..they aren''t very scantie if your stashing all that lot under them!! ;D ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline vicksen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2008, 12:06:15 PM »
 ;D ho ho blue lizard!
(I was being kind; didn''t want to be suggesting EK readers have BIIIG knickers!)

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2008, 01:12:36 PM »
If they are like me their knickers are huuuggge after eating all the lovely Kalkan food!! ;D
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Flat screen TV for sale

Started by kevincat99 on Classifieds - Available

3 Replies
Last post February 05, 2013, 09:24:55 AM
by paula09
xx
Flat screen monitors

Started by felicity on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post August 02, 2009, 10:07:28 PM
by howmad
clip
Tablet PC Gpad F35 9 inch screen

Started by lordwizlon on Classifieds - Available

1 Replies
Last post April 01, 2013, 07:11:25 AM
by kally13
xx
LOOKING FOR FLAT OR VILLA TO LET LONG TERM

Started by morgan T on Accommodation and Hotels

1 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 06:55:37 PM
by kalkan.org

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal