Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Flaming June  (Read 22162 times)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Flaming June
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2012, 09:01:01 AM »
Just to cheer you up - take a look at the news reports on the music festival on the Ise of Wight this w/e - now thats what we all call an English Summer - Flaming June in more ways than one. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2012, 12:15:11 PM »
When we woke up yesterday, it was very cloudy so we decided to pop into town to do some shopping. Sunglasses from Kaptan, tealight holders from that lovely lamp shop where I always buy ceramics to fret about going back to UK...don't ask me why? Had a look in the Pandora Shop, which once inside is a mix of bags, other jewellery and a bit of Pandora. It certainly looks like authentic Pandora but we didn't buy anything as I'd been treated to a pair of earrings in Just Silver only days before.
First stop bags!!!!! I'd done my research and wanted a Lady Dior from BSG and either a Ferragamo Tote (in cream) or a Tod's D Bag (also in cream) from Nuri. I'm really impressed with the quality of the bags this year, the Mulberrys are all good but I'm a bit Mulberryed out :) Nuri's first - I "ummed and ahhed" over the two whilst sipping apple tea - reminding BH about my foot situation hoping I might get the two - settled eventually on the Tod's. BH did the deal and I noticed Nuri threw the money on the floor. On to Kaptan's where he was impressed with my liittle bit of Turkish - three pairs of glasses for the"kids" and once again the money went onto the floor....First customers of the day, its lucky to throw the money on the floor....aahhhh! On a roll, into BSG for my Lady Dior but the young girl was on her phone and totally disinterested...after a few minutes of trying to catch her attention we left empty handed. Sale lost :( Back to Nuri who had the Lady Dior, but not in the colour I wanted. No matter, he'd try and get it for me before we go home tomorrow.
Shopping makes you hungry and thirsty so on to Cafe Leon so I could tick another of my boxes....carrot cake! Absolutely delicious - I enjoyed every mouthful of my guilty pleasure in Kalkan ;)
Last night we ate in Ozalp - BH's favourite meal of our stay, thus far. King Prawns - amazing apparently :)
We eat in Escudo tonight so I'm hoping we've saved the best till last :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2012, 01:11:11 PM »
Hi K4E have a great last day and safe journey back - been great to keep tabs on your holiday and hope the foot keeps getting better.  Now where's that photo????

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2012, 01:44:15 PM »
When we woke up yesterday, it was very cloudy so we decided to pop into town to do some shopping. Sunglasses from Kaptan, tealight holders from that lovely lamp shop where I always buy ceramics to fret about going back to UK...don't ask me why? Had a look in the Pandora Shop, which once inside is a mix of bags, other jewellery and a bit of Pandora. It certainly looks like authentic Pandora but we didn't buy anything as I'd been treated to a pair of earrings in Just Silver only days before.
First stop bags!!!!! I'd done my research and wanted a Lady Dior from BSG and either a Ferragamo Tote (in cream) or a Tod's D Bag (also in cream) from Nuri. I'm really impressed with the quality of the bags this year, the Mulberrys are all good but I'm a bit Mulberryed out :) Nuri's first - I "ummed and ahhed" over the two whilst sipping apple tea - reminding BH about my foot situation hoping I might get the two - settled eventually on the Tod's. BH did the deal and I noticed Nuri threw the money on the floor. On to Kaptan's where he was impressed with my liittle bit of Turkish - three pairs of glasses for the"kids" and once again the money went onto the floor....First customers of the day, its lucky to throw the money on the floor....aahhhh! On a roll, into BSG for my Lady Dior but the young girl was on her phone and totally disinterested...after a few minutes of trying to catch her attention we left empty handed. Sale lost :( Back to Nuri who had the Lady Dior, but not in the colour I wanted. No matter, he'd try and get it for me before we go home tomorrow.
Shopping makes you hungry and thirsty so on to Cafe Leon so I could tick another of my boxes....carrot cake! Absolutely delicious - I enjoyed every mouthful of my guilty pleasure in Kalkan ;)
Last night we ate in Ozalp - BH's favourite meal of our stay, thus far. King Prawns - amazing apparently :)
We eat in Escudo tonight so I'm hoping we've saved the best till last :)

K4E Just in case you didn't know those bags might not be real  >:D >:D >:D >:D......hope the foot is getting better. 

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2012, 09:31:35 AM »
So our last day in Kalkan.... :( :(
Woke up for the first time in six days to beautiful blue skies - not a cloud in sight :)
Mostly packed last night - the downstairs bedroom has that horrible end-of-holiday look of empty wardrobes, opened drawers and filled open cases *sigh*
Nothing to do today except eat the entire contents of the fridge :o
Just thought I'd share with you some of my final observations from this trip:-

1. Kalkan is still a magical place to have a holiday. In essence the centre of the village remains charming, warm and welcoming...we have loved our evenings meeting friends old and new here.

2. Kalkan is getting younger. Maybe its just us getting older :-\ There have always been a few groups of young girls or boys staying in the parents villas after A'levels/graduation but this younger vibe is different. Lots of young couples visiting Kalkan for the first time, but not alone. Groups of two or three couples - in Sofra one night we encountered a group of five couples all late teens, very early twenties who had travelled together - first time in Kalkan. Not a criticism, just an observation.

3. Kalkan has a glut of supermarkets now. We visited them all at some point just to see what they offered in relation to Yali or Kartin - not much different really. We found Bim and Kipa Express to be very good value, but limited in their ranges. We mostly shopped there and stayed faithful to Kartin and Yali - Kartin and Kipa do the cheapest bottled Efes and Kartin was cheapest for Angora and Lal. What I couldn't get my head round was Kipa leaving everything out on the forecourt every night after they closed...surely some unscrupulous people would take advantage? The greengrocer opposite Parc Kalkan remains very competitive against the supermarkets.

4. We ate out a lot. The relative new kids on the block - Gourmet, White Table, Mussakka - were all excellent but our favourite meals were at "old boys" Ozalp, Kaya and Sofra. Also, the view from the Sofra roof terrace is, IMO, one of the best (if not THE best) in Kalkan. Our prize for the best dessert goes to White Table for their amazing cheesecake. We had this early on in the holiday so everything else came a poor second after that ;). The only new place we got to try was Escudo, which was very nice.

5. It is hard to get round if you have a mobility problem. To my shame, I have never appreciated this before as we walk everywhere. Having said that, I have seen more heels this holiday than EVER before :o This bears no relation to point 2, as those wearing heels were definitely not youngsters.....there has to be knack to wearing them, which paths you take and how far into town you go, but from my vantage point at Moonlight...HEELS!!! Lots of them :) I'm going to make it my mission when we next visit.

6. The bags are good this year....thanks for the tip Misty ;) I could have spent the entire holiday budget but the generous bag fund allowed me to buy two lovely ones - both from Nuri this year. I will upload photos when we return as I didn't pack the right cable :-[ Ladies who like to bag shop, yet to arrive in Kalkan....you are in for a treat :)

7. The weather has been weird for June :)

8. Learning to speak a little bit of Turkish goes a long way. I've been impressing the boys in Kaya every night as we pass on our way into town with my "new word for the day". Managing a very small conversation - good evening, how are you, I'm fine thanks, see you later has been relatively easy thanks to lingopal on my iphone. I'd highly recommend it.

9. I'm gutted to be going home, but hopefully be back sometime in September...with heels :)

We're being collected at 7pm, Turkish time, so I now have several hours to top up the tan on the roof terrace knowing what we will be going back to in the UK :(

Toodle pip x

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2012, 10:28:10 AM »
Some interesting observations there K4E - particularly about the younger crowd and the heels!  Have to see what I can do, although this year I have bought four pairs of flatty sandals mainly because of Kalkan!  Also good to hear Kartin are still the best value of Efes and wine - I do love them in there and like to support them. Good idea using the iphone lingopal - I find that even just a few words has a big positive effect.  I'll keep a look out for the photos.  Take care and have a safe trip back.  Cloudy here in Cambridge! Shame your weather wasn't as good as it could be.  All the best Caroline.

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2012, 04:56:19 PM »
Safe journey home K4E. So glad that despite various "challenges" you still had a wonderful time. Have enjoyed reading about your experiences and have to say it sounds like you deserve a medal for putting up with a lot of discomfort but still retaining your sense of humour.
September isn't too far away and hopefully a fully fit K4E will grace the slopes of Kalkan with some blingy heels :o :o

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2012, 05:42:47 PM »
We're out there next week and I'm about to start packing. Shall I be brave and pack heels or my wedgies [alias taxi shoes]? I did wear heels one night last year albeit quite small ones and we literally only had to walk to the end of the road to Bread'n More. Don't think I could manage the hill from the Moonlight in anything other than flatties and even then I've nearly landed on my rear more than once, I even have to watch what soles there are on my flatties or I end up slip sliding like Bambi on ice, not a good look! I suppose one answer to this problem is to take a big bag out with me so I can carry a pair of flippen-floppens in case of emergency LOL!!

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2012, 05:46:27 PM »
There's absolutely no chance of me attempting heels of any height in Kalkan. I've managed to end up on the ground while wearing flats so couldn't even begin to imagine the carnage which would ensue with heels ??? ???

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2012, 06:06:41 PM »
Definitely flatties for me in Kalkan. I went out once in wedgies and couldn't walk in them at all.  OH had to go back and get me flat shoes instead!  :o ;D

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2012, 06:35:29 PM »
Just been people watching on the webcams on KTLN.  Very few heels around, all the ladies seem to be in flatties.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2012, 07:03:49 PM »
Good post Kalkan4eva, we also noticed a few younger ones in Kalkan this year, in fact there was a group of 3 young girls staying at the Pirat. (I'm not admitting to the fact i'm getting older!! Especially as it's my half a century this year!!).
I also like to speak a little Turkish, they appreciate it so much don't they and a few of the guys in the hotel used to teach me new phrases each day. Iam trying to learn my numbers and it used to give them great amusement when i tried to ask for our room key using Turkish numbers!!
We also noticed a few wedges/heels this year, think i'll stick to my bling flat sandals!! Safe journey home.
Nicky

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2012, 07:36:40 PM »
Thanks for the fab updates and your final reflections K4E.  I hope your foot is soon completely better!  Looking forward to seeing the pics of your bags...I managed to resist this year, somehow  :)

It was great to meet you and your OH - hope to see you by the pool next year!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2012, 09:58:37 PM »
I have a whole collection of shoes ready to pack tomorrow for our holiday which begins on Wednesday  :) :) :) :) :) I have white, beach, black with flowers and a nice silvery grey pair....all flip flops! I too manage to fall/slip even in flip flops and find the best footwear to negotiate some hills is none at all!
Have loved reading your posts K4E. we shall shortly be invading with 4 twenty somethings.....my daughter and her friend and my older daughter and her boyfriend....no wait....her fiance! she literally got engaged today!!!  :laugh:

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2012, 10:47:53 PM »
Wow congratulations to your daughter - how exciting.  Give you lots to talk about on your hols!!

Offline jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
    • Love Kalkan
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2012, 07:13:08 PM »
I can recommend 'flatforms' as a viable footwear option in Kalkan, much safer than heels, although you do have to be careful not to fall off them. ;)

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2012, 08:05:10 PM »
So glad you've had a lovely holiday despite the pain and disability. I have enjoyed reading all of your posts and observations. Thanks for sharing them and hope you and BH have arrived home safely.  No chance of topping your tan up here yet so hope you managed to soak up the rays yesterday.  8)  :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2012, 09:02:41 PM »
Definitely flatties for me! Just invested in a white patent pair of Birkenstock Toe post sandals, awaiting their arrival.  They have been despatched, the suspense is just like waiting for delivery of the water hammock!!!  ;D

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2012, 10:40:17 PM »
All of you guys coming out to Kalkan very soon, have an amazing time (Babs, you'll have a bit of celebrating to do ;)). Safely back in the UK after a bumpy flight and missing Kalkan already ::) Look forward to hearing all your reports, updates and views on Kalkan as and when. In the meantime, back in cold, grey UK we have Wimbledon, the Olympics and the start of the new football season to look forward to before we can make a return trip (fingers crossed) in September. Like you, Nicky I'm celebrating my Golden Jubilee this year and we're trying to cram so much in but I've already been on internet looking at flights - just those awful things called work commitments we have to sort now :-\ :-\

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2012, 10:57:36 AM »
Glad you're safe and sound back in UK but I bet you're missing Kalkan! My Golden Jubilee year too! Have fun. How's the foot? CX  :(

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Va Va June

Started by kalkan4eva on Holiday Reports and Reviews

32 Replies
Last post July 25, 2018, 06:13:33 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
June is busting out all over.....

Started by kalkan4eva on Holiday Reports and Reviews

74 Replies
Last post August 18, 2013, 07:27:08 PM
by littlelin
xx
Weather in June

Started by Beckolars on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post June 11, 2019, 08:11:32 AM
by cleworthallray
xx
June jaunt!

Started by Babs on Holiday Reports and Reviews

18 Replies
Last post July 22, 2018, 11:37:40 AM
by keith

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal