Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Holiday Reports and Reviews => Topic started by: kalkan4eva on June 09, 2012, 10:02:42 AM

Title: Flaming June
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 09, 2012, 10:02:42 AM
Some of you may be aware of how much I've been looking forward to our holiday in Kalkan.... ::)

The night before we left, BH decided to calibrate the hand-held weight we use to weigh our cases with a 9kg kettlebell - it didn't actually fit onto the hook and promptly fell (from considerable height at speed) directly onto my foot :o I didn't swear, basically because I couldn't breathe....then after an instant I wailed like a child :-[

After an hour of sitting with said foot wrapped in a bag of frozen cranberries some movement returned so we at least knew no bones were broken but I couldn't stand on it and walking was impossible :( :( The next day, departure day, I made the decision we were going to Kalkan. I found a single pair of sandals that could accomodate the swollen foot and hobbled my way around two airports.

Now we are here, the sun is shining and life is good. I can't walk without a stick (and can't do that very well) and its taking me hours to get in and out of town, but I have all the time in the world :) I miss our daily power walks and have massive sympathy for anyone with permanent mobility problems tackling these uneven pavements and steep gradients. I have my fastjel (thanks Rachey), walking stick and BH is waiting on me hand and foot ;) Could have stayed at home and been miserable instead....hmmm

I aim to be back in my blingy sandals bag shopping by next week, so watch this space...
Title: Re: Flaming June
Post by: turkeyfan on June 09, 2012, 10:52:10 AM
Ouch!  Well if you stayed home you would still be hobbling around, at least your foot is dry in Kalkan, because it's still blinking miserable here - and on the plus side, your BH is at your beck and call!

I prescribe plenty of G&T's (with lime), Efes, Lal and cocktails to ease the pain.

Have a great time.  How long are you there for?
Post by: itstime on June 09, 2012, 11:21:06 AM
 :o :o you poor thing! A bottle of Lal and a lovely new handbag are prescribed by Dr Itstime ;)

Seriously though, hope it feels better very soon. Take care
Post by: Skunk on June 09, 2012, 11:29:45 AM
Hi K4E - what a shame, still you couldn't be in a nicer garden and presumably you can swim if you use the steps carefully?! I know how it feels slogging up from town as I have arthritis in both hips - and that's why we had to move from there as I couldn't cope with that last bit up the hill!  Last year, I found the taxi drivers were really sympathetic even though we were only staying near the White House.  The stick makes a difference.  I hope you haven't broken your foot - I went to Yalikavak for a change (stupidly) a couple of years ago and broke it very easily on the last day.  Didn't know it was broken till I had an x-ray when we got back.  Might be worth seeing if the new local medical centre has an x-ray machine?  It's only round the corner from you and the doc there is brilliant.  Hope you don't bump into any spiders - make the most of  OH waiting on you - not far to go to get the requisite refreshments as prescribed by Turkeyfan - get well soon!   :) :o By the way, can you take your own booze up to Oz Adana????  SXX
Post by: Babs on June 09, 2012, 05:24:31 PM
Oh no....poor you! Still as everyone says better to be in pain in Kalkan than wet and windy England! I had a lovely restful holiday once with a broken foot.....but I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Post by: Rachey on June 09, 2012, 05:45:39 PM
K4E's foot is a sight to see  :o. Looks so sore. Hopefully the fastjel will speed up the healing process - along with swims in the pool. So good to meet you at last!  :)
Post by: chrissy1 on June 09, 2012, 05:53:48 PM
I am guessing fastjel is a sort of healing cream but could you elaborate please what it is for and where you buy it, hoping yr foot gets better soon K4E and have a great holiday.
Post by: tortoise lady on June 09, 2012, 06:17:11 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident Kalkan4eva - hope the foot recovers soon.   In the meantime enjoy the scenery, food and drink and Kalkan sunshine.

I am about to go and weigh our suitcases with a hand held scale.   Am now getting rather nervous.......
Post by: Rachey on June 09, 2012, 06:32:14 PM
Fastjel is a painkilling/swelling reducing cream. This time last year I twisted my ankle badly on the way through the car park by the taxi rank. Later discovered I'd torn the tendons on the top of my foot really badly. Numptie. My lovely OH went to the pharmacy and explained and he came back with an elasticated bandage and fastjel. Found it far more effective than either ibuleve or voltarol. You can get it at any of the pharmacies here. In fact I'll be getting some tomorrow to replenish my first aid kit at home!
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 09, 2012, 09:36:40 PM
Oh, poor you K4E, hope you recover soon. I remember last year when my OH did his back in, how awful it is to have an injury just before you set off on your hols. I'm sure you will both have a fab holiday despite the pain!!! K
Looking forward to your reports and escapades and take care!! ps I have 2 very dodgy knees, I'm only in my 40's and told by my orthopaedic consultant that I need both knees replaced but cant have them done until im at least in my mid fifties, so I know how challenging Kalkan is for the less able. Do what you can, within your limitations and you'll be fine. Drink lots of bombay sapphire and enjoy your hols. X
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 10, 2012, 08:52:34 AM
Thanks everyone...your get well wishes have certainly cheered me up :)
Confined to barracks at the minute....probably slightly over optimistic to think I'd be skipping around Kalkan in my blingy sandals next week ::) ::)
So lovely to meet Rachey after tipping up at the same places for the last few years - her excellent tip about fastjel is really helping. BH, let out of the doghouse temporarily, is now on first name terms and the Christmas card list of the Pharmacist. I have a range of lotions and tablets that appear to be doing the trick - albeit not as fast as I like.
Can think of worse places to be...
We're here until 25th June, so plenty of time to get back on (both) my feet.
Post by: antler on June 10, 2012, 12:13:32 PM
Pls get fit, K4E, or else, "we're coming to get you!"

Cheers

Steve
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 10, 2012, 01:07:21 PM
...if you're coming to get me can you bring some paella ;D ;D ;D
Post by: turkeyfan on June 10, 2012, 03:27:09 PM

We're here until 25th June, so plenty of time to get back on (both) my feet.

We arrive on 24th so will look out for you and your flip-flops - diamonte or otherwise!
Post by: Ryss on June 10, 2012, 08:40:38 PM
sorry to hear about your injury K4E - I do hope you get better soon so that you can get up to your holiday activities. ahh, but with picturesque kalkan to look over, and being waited on hand and foot, what else can a girl ask for during her recovery time?!  :D
get well soon!
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 11, 2012, 02:07:44 PM
Managed to get into town last night ;D ;D....time off for good behaviour ::)
The stick is more of a hindrance than a help and it certainly doesn't go with any of my outfits. Only made it as far as Moonlight then thought we'd wander down slowly and see where the mood took as - I was flagging by the time we got to Merkez but there was a table for two that could have been reserved for us and BH made a beeline for it. After dinner I got a new lease of life and headed straight into BSG and the new Need leather store next door. The K4E bag fund will be substantial this trip thanks to my compensation claim from BH (he settled out of court ;)) so I am going to take my time and choose well. Avoid the Louboutins (shoes) though, ladies....not good copies :P
Today, feeling even better, we decided to head off around a few supermarkets to buy a cool bag. I've ditched the stick and as a result I'm actually walking better. We did visit practically every supermarket, albeit at a snails pace, and the hardware store - which is now under the vets having moved from Kalamar Road and came back empty handed. BH thinks he might be able to fashion one using my Longchamps tote.....erm don't think so :laugh: :laugh:
Feeling more like my old self every day... :)
Post by: Babs on June 11, 2012, 02:27:46 PM
You'll be skipping up and down those hill sin your blingy flip flops before you know it!  :laugh:
Post by: Skunk on June 11, 2012, 02:46:50 PM
Glad to hear you're on the mend - albeit slowly - I think there might be a place up on the D400 roundabout next to the electricity shop that sells that sort of stuff - can't promise though.
Post by: itstime on June 11, 2012, 05:14:40 PM
Excellent news K4E isn't it amazing the healing powers of the promise of a new bag :D
Post by: Bob & Jayne on June 11, 2012, 05:49:04 PM
Only made it as far as Moonlight ....

Yes, I think we saw you on the Moonlight web cam.
Was that you sporting the 'bling' walking stick?   :D
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 12, 2012, 09:05:59 AM
ha ha Bob and Jayne...wish I'd had time to "pimp" my stick before we left ;D

Went into town again last night - Moonlight was rammed with England fans but the boys sorted a seat out for us on the verandah - the place were you get eaten alive by mosquitos and yes we were :( Muhttin's little notepad was going ten to the dozen...but he still knew what everyone had ordered ;)
After the game we strolled gently down to White Table - what a gem this place is. Derman and Yigit have tried really hard to bring you something different - their posh burgers and homemade chips in paper are delightful. I had the smoked basil burger and BH went for the lamb burger with flat bread (Big Boy size) accompanied by their lovely Iris rose. Yigit's command of English and knowledge of the UK's history is really impressive as is his passion for food and flavour. Just when I thought I couldn't eat another thing, complimentary baked lemon cheesecake to share...we argued about who'd eaten the most it was so delicious and made by Derman herself.

I know I'm feeling better as I could have stayed out later, but BH didn't want me over-doing it as I've been a pretty miserable patient...apparently :o :o Cheek! Ah well tomorrow's another day...time for blingy footwear maybe?
Post by: itstime on June 12, 2012, 11:07:59 AM
 "miserable patient"  :o :o :o pah, think that accusation merits another donation into the bag fund :D

Great to hear you're properly into the holiday now  :)
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 12, 2012, 11:36:34 AM
So glad to hear you are enjoying your holiday and your injury is improving. White table sounds delicious, we eyed it up at Easter but thought the burgers might be too "posh" for our fussy girls. As OH's parents are with us in july, we are looking forward to places we can go to as a couple for a nice romantic meal or two, or to let our hair down like we used to!!! That's providing we get the chance anyway! I'm sure you are a model patient K4E, hope your BH is giving you lots of TLC and you can bling to your hearts desire soon as I know I'd be thoroughly miserable without my blingy tone ups and fit flops too.
Post by: clara 50 on June 13, 2012, 03:02:56 PM
Great news your on the mend now. My husbands back for some reason usually flares up before we go probably climbing up and down the loft getting the luggage, but if he's lucky this year and it doesn't I'm sure my case full of blingy flip-flops will put pay to that! Mind you he had his own back last year pardon the pun, as I did mine in gaming around pretending I could play water basketball. Some cold Efes and you forget your not as fit as you used to be. Suffered for a large part of our stay but it didn't keep us in, and despite the discomfort got quite used to being pampered with people offerring their seats, not used to it at home LOL! Having said that want to be fit and well out there next month and not be walking around like the hunch back of Notre Dame. Hope your recovery continues and you have a great time, save some Efes for us. Best wishes  8)
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 13, 2012, 05:44:38 PM
So the difficult patient continues to improve but I am in the awful process of losing one, possibly two of my toenails so its all a bit nasty looking :P :P I've taken to covering it up so not to put other holidaymakers off their mojitos :angel:
Yesterday, as part of the getting better routine we went for a walk - a fairly decent one, just at a more leisurely pace than usual - circumnavigating the lovely pool at HanInn has become a bit samey ::) We were shocked to see the development taking place on the shrub land in front of Lykia Estate - these partially built villas seem to have sprung up over night on what we thought was protected land :-\ Today we spent all day at Palm Beach - great to see Dimitri and the guys there again. My favourite part of the day is when the sun starts to cool and drop towards Kalamar Bay because that signals Cocktail Hour ;D ;D There's something lovely about sitting on a sun lounger, book in hand, Long Island Iced Tea in the other facing out towards the bay(conveniently avoiding looking at "the foot" so not to put me off my cocktail) Bliss :)
We'd no sooner arrived back when there was a knock at the door and Lantana was there with a cool bag she very kindly offered to lend us during our stay. Isn't this forum great?
Post by: JenJen on June 13, 2012, 06:11:49 PM
Ahhh, Kalkan4eva, you have just described my favourite time of day and at my favourite Kalkan location.  Nothing better than watching the sun start to set from a Palm Beach lounger with a cocktail and book! 12.5 weeks until I'm there again!  Enjoy the rest of your stay :)
Post by: onelove on June 13, 2012, 06:20:57 PM
This is a lovely thread.  Really enjoying reading it.   Hope your foot improves quickly  8)
Post by: Chucky on June 13, 2012, 06:44:37 PM
We were shocked to see the development taking place on the shrub land in front of Lykia Estate - these partially built villas seem to have sprung up over night on what we thought was protected land :-\ )
We were shocked by this as well when we were out in June. Has anyone else noticed that on the KLTN Location Code Map that there roads shown in this supposed "Green Belt" land?
Post by: Skunk on June 13, 2012, 07:03:50 PM
Good to hear you got out today and the trip to Palm Beach sounds cool.   8) 8) This Likya Estate issue is a bit devastating though.  When we first went to Kalkan the highest building was the Emir (then Mina) apartments and the Kalamar Road was a track. Tout sa change but not necessarily for the better all the time.  Aaah well. Soon be back in your blingy flippen floppen then K4E!  ;D ;D
Post by: Rachey on June 13, 2012, 07:36:12 PM
So glad your foot is getting better K4E, not so nice about your nails though - ouch  :o
We're missing Kalkan so much, but have already booked with Eyup for May/June and Sept/ ;D
Post by: Babs on June 14, 2012, 03:31:01 PM
Glad you're on the mend....even if it is minus two toe nails.....bah! who needs 'em?!  >:D Also glad you have now been the Palm Beach and confirmed that my all time favourite Kalkan character is still there....Dimitri, Demitris, Ilhan......(all the same person for those that don't know) Actually I knew he was there this year as my daughter spotted a wonderful photo he had put on facebook with the swimming platform/pontoon thing decked out with lights and a romantic dinner for two!!  :laugh: Not sure I'm up for that but may well have to have a cocktail this year as have never done that!
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 14, 2012, 10:36:22 PM
The injury to my foot has meant I've almost forgotten about my Mosquito bites :o Don't know what I'm doing wrong this year but I've been attacked on a scale that can only be described as Biblical :P :P I've ditched the 50% deet - Tescos own brand this year as opposed to Boots (every little doesn't help actually....) Off Max is now being liberally applied, so we'll see how that goes over the next few days. And another thing...why have my feet (yes plural..) swelled up??? I went from one fat foot to two fat feet without any warning and now I have what I lovingly describe as Queen Mother feet. Before anyone gets uppity and gives me a hard time, she was a wonderful lady and led the country through the Second War with great fortitude but in later years her feet did spill out of her shoes...mine are doing a fine job imitating that look right now :( And, and....if you'd have been looking at the Moonlight webcam at around 9pm (Turkish time) you'd have seen me fall on my backside :laugh: :laugh: BH said "hold onto me in case you slip" I did and I did and the purpose of holding on to him seemed negligible. No damage done...except to my pride, of course :)

That said, what a great time we're having out here in Kalkan :).Can't imagine I'd want to be anywhere else with the plague and fat feet... ;)
Today we joined Antler, Mrs Antler and Ollie for a "couple of drinks" and had a really lovely afternoon. What a pleasure it was to meet them and be the recipients of their wonderful hospitality. After several hours of food, wine and chat, Antler called some street dogs to evict us from their property ;D ;D

PS Rachey, we've done the same...but just for June :)
Post by: antler on June 14, 2012, 10:50:19 PM
Blast, I told the dogs to hold back their identity, and if challenged, say they were doing a programme on behalf of  ITV.
Post by: Babs on June 15, 2012, 09:10:54 AM
ah....the legendary Kalkan Fat Foot Syndrome.....I always suffer from this, I assume its the heat! As a rule in normal everyday life I have pathetic skinny tiny feet but go to Kalkan and at around 7 each evening my feet are generally twice the size of normal and I'm left feeling relieved that I don't have to cram them into anything more structured than a flip flop!  :laugh:
Post by: turkeyfan on June 15, 2012, 10:39:32 AM
Me too!  I have fat foot syndrome too, well actually that's all year round but they go EVEN fatter when I'm in Kalkan. It's terribly attractive.

Sounds like you're having a great time though, despite your afflictions!
Post by: Skunk on June 15, 2012, 10:53:07 AM
Yes I get fat feet in the heat as well - not a good look.  Sorry to hear about the mozzie bites - and dead worried as I blow up big time with them..  hope the mozzie blasters are out by the time we get there.  Sounds like you had a great afternoon with Antler and his family. Keep shining on!
Post by: Irene on June 15, 2012, 03:35:21 PM
Hi - dont worry too much about the dreaded mossies we have been here nearly three weeks and not one bite between us - the mossie buster has been out twice in that time and seems to be working well.  Kalkan despite all the recent ups and downs has been as wonderful as ever!
Post by: Babs on June 15, 2012, 06:07:59 PM
It's obviously the squashed poorly toenails that are attracting the mozzies!
Post by: Skunk on June 15, 2012, 06:41:35 PM
Yes you're probably right Babs - any injury like that would make you a beeline.  :( >:(
Post by: itstime on June 16, 2012, 08:57:10 AM
Hey K4E how are the ankles or as I lovingly call them "cankles" as with me always looks like my calves and ankles have morphed into one blob ::) ::)
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 16, 2012, 10:01:03 AM
Well flaming June is certainly living up to its headline...its ROASTING here, as hot as I can remember any July or August visits and just as humid :( Talking with Muhttin in Moonlight last night and he said because they had a very cold winter its going to be a very hot summer...yes lets remember it isn't even summer yet :o Whether this is true, I don't know...I just know its HOT!

So glad to not be alone with the fat feet thing....god its annoying. So now I'll have Kalkan Feet as well as Kalkan Hair...eh? Joy.

Yesterday morning the feet appeared to be okay, so we went on one of those long walks in the heat of the midday sun. Walked along the beach path to Komurluk..we'd seen others using it from the safety of our roof terrace but when we were there it suddenly seemed like a bad idea...the damage from the rockfall evident, the thriving little cafe now gone and big chunks of rock near the path along with "Danger" signs. We ploughed on regardless but I do think I upped the pace until we were no longer right under the cliff (not easy given my feet - two chubby one sore). We wandered over to Halit's new projects at the far end of Komurluk and once again we found ourselves thinking about the over development of Kalkan and mourned the loss of the "yellow house". There are so many gorgeous villas over in this area but some of them are incredibly close to each other - you'd be able to see what your neighbour was cooking for breakfast :o. We played our normal game of "If I win the lottery, that one's mine...." then I got bored and wanted a piggy back up to the service road....none forthcoming ::)
Amazingly my feet didn't look too fat last night but today I'm looking at cankle city >:( Off to get me some chemical intervention from BH's new best friend - the pharmacist (thanks itstime ;))
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 16, 2012, 10:19:32 AM
Glad you are mobile agin K4E, my goodness it sound hot, goodness knows what it will be like for us in July.  I remember being in Kalkan in July/ August 2009 when there was an almighty heat wave. It was so humid I felt like we were in the Caribbean! I have naturally curly hair which I don't even bother to straighten as any moisture at all unleashes the curls-think crystal tips and Alastair ( if you remember the program ) but that holiday I resembled this  O0 without even trying!! My feet also go pudgy as do my fingers  :-X not a good look !! I never seem to look glamourous on holiday unfortunately!!!  ;D
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 18, 2012, 05:45:20 PM
After a couple of days of looking at my toenails - particularly my big toenail, I decided it actually wasn't looking too healthy  :P So yesterday we took ourselves off to see our new best friend the pharmacist to see what he could recommend from his shelf loads of stuff. When we got there, I went into a bit of a panic as he wasn't there.. :o His young counterpart looked at my uncovered toenail and almost recoiled then recovered himself and said I had to see the doctor :( Our relationship with the pharmacy was over. He directed us to the medical centre on Kalamar Road and we set off - stopping off at HanInn on the way to collect the "Emergency Credit Card". Having had experience of Dr Cem in the past I knew this would make a serious dent in the K4E bag fund, so I deemed the toe emergency enough for use of the card. We ambled up to the centre but it was closed, so was the pharmacy opposite - no matter, we'd stroll up to Pasha and have a drink with Imelda and Mark and see if they knew when the Medical Centre would be open.
Sadly they'd returned to the UK in very sad circumstances but we had a drink with the nice lady looking after things till they get back - complained about the heat (yes really - sorry if you're reading this in the UK) and took her advice to go to Esanaf Hospital in Fethiye - which we will tomorrow.
In the meantime, we spent today on the town beach (Cool Bag in tow - thanks Lantana). At the best of times you need to be able to dig your feet into the small mound of stones to get out of the water with any grace and/or dignity. I couldn't do the latter so was unable to exit the sea as described in the former ::) ::) BH laughed heartily as I struggled and got The Stare >:D
Still we are getting about, eating in our favourite restaurants, drinking lots of alcohol and generally enjoying ourselves :)
I whinge occasionally, but its an "insurance moan"...gently reminding BH why the bag fund is particularly healthy this trip ;) ;) :angel:
Post by: Skunk on June 18, 2012, 06:05:31 PM
Oh dear K4E, sounds like that big toenail is being troublesome. Do you think it's infected? Thought it might be and Cem is a good doctor (i'm a nurse so I usually know one when I meet one) - Fethiye's a bit of a trek but I suppose you could combine the trip with a fish market treat and look at a few different bags maybe.    I had to laugh at the beach antics and glad to hear you're getting around to the restaurants and bars despite the foot.  Keep up the insurance moan for the bag fund and good luck!  Hope you find something special - you deserve it.  When are you back in Blighty? It's deffo not too hot here - 64C with the odd shower, followed by humid sun followed by rain followed by more rain...... garden has gone bonkers.  Take care.
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 18, 2012, 06:13:29 PM
Well hopefully the salty sea water will have done your toe the world of good. If it's not infected, the nail may just drop off itself and regrow in time :-\ Sounds like you could do with an  Xray though, there's lots of little bones in your feet and easy to fracture them. Not to upset you K4E, but my accident prone OH once had an injury to his big toe while playing football, decided he could cope with the pain, never got it checked out and simply strapped it up to the next toe. He now suffers from arthritis in it and it was probably broken as it's now a monstrosity compared with the other one and twice the size!! It does look cute though in my eyes.  ;D
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 18, 2012, 06:16:07 PM
Ha ha Skunk, great minds think alike!!! We must have been typing at the same time  ;)
Post by: Skunk on June 18, 2012, 06:42:33 PM
Hee hee it's the training I think!! Yes you're right about the salt water, and the sea there is very clean (Blue Flag I think).  A bit worrying for you though K4E. 
Post by: Babs on June 18, 2012, 06:51:49 PM
aaaggghhhh.....forgot about the 'big hair and big feet combo'! and my hair is longer than it has been in the past!

hope the toes get sorted soon K4E......only 9 sleeps for us and I'm beginning to get the strange neurotic feeling that I get before each holiday....especially when walking the dog across fields trying to avoid rabbit holes....I don't fall down any other times of the year so why do I always assume I will do it just before we go away!  :laugh:
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 19, 2012, 05:44:19 PM
Well within 2 hours of getting into our hire car in Kalkan we were sitting in Esanaf Hospital having been relieved of my troublesome toenail and 450tl :o :o Have to say it was money well spent although I did feel embarrassed that we seemed to queue jump :-[ It literally took minutes from entering the hospital, handing over my passport to the very polite man at the Foreigners desk, filling in some forms to sitting with the consultant who immediately said (through our interpreter..) that the nail had to be removed as it was "poison that will spread" :o
I have to say, as we queued with Nationals and Foreigners alike to pay, it did strike me that:-
I was fortunate to have brought an emergency credit card (otherwise the dent in the K4E bag fund would have been fatal :() and secondly how fortunate we are in the UK to have the NHS. Yes I know it has its faults and is often mismanaged but when BH got a piece of pen stuck in his ear a few months back (don't judge him.. ;)) We went to our local minor injuries unit  and after a lot of jokes about it not being a children's facility and them not having "Brave Boy" stickers (all entirely justifiable IMO :)) we walked out with just "thank you" :-\
Ah well....we were in Fethiye on a Tuesday so we left the hospital - complete with my comedy bandage (looks like something from a Tom and Jerry cartoon :-[) and went to the market. The words "shopping" and "bored" never appear in the same sentence for me...but I was :o :o After a few stalls and BH acting like my Minder, in case anyone stood on my foot, we bailed out and headed up to Kaya Koyu for a lovely afternoon.
We'll wander down to town in a bit to watch the footie on one of those awful large TV's....been an eventful day here in paradise :) :)
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 19, 2012, 06:01:29 PM
Glad you got your toe sorted. Hope it wasn't too painful  :(  :-*
Post by: itstime on June 19, 2012, 06:21:34 PM
Yikes K4E you've had some adventures this holiday :o :o
Glad the foot is sorted and hopefully now just back to the usual eating too much, drinking too much and buying handbags :D

Oh forgot to ask, how are the "cankles"?
Post by: Skunk on June 19, 2012, 06:34:35 PM
Hope they've given you some antibiotic cover for that price?? ??? ??? If not, I think you should try for some at the pharmacy.  ::) Sounds v uncomfortable but glad you found some peace in Kayakoy - beautiful there isn't it?  8) Enjoy the footie - the moonlight has got every table and chair it possesses on the opposite pavement in readiness!!!  :laugh:
Take care of that foot and all the best for an uneventful rest of your holiday (well only nice events anyway!)  I was tickled by your OH in the minor injuries unit.  Shame about the brave boy stickers.  :laugh: :laugh:
Have fun Caroline  :) :)
Post by: Babs on June 19, 2012, 06:49:43 PM
at least the large comedy bandage on the toe will balance out the cankles!  >:D
take care and continue to enjoy your holiday....which will hopefully be less dramatic from now on!
Post by: Rachey on June 19, 2012, 07:38:52 PM
Can you still swim K4E?  Hope your toe makes a very speedy recovery...tell us about which handbag(s) you get!
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 20, 2012, 11:27:45 AM
"Swimming is finished..." the kind words of our interpreter at Esanaf. Thankfully it appears to be a whole lot cooler today so I haven't felt the overwhelming urge to throw myself in the pool. Have to shower with a plastic bag on my foot for a bit too...very tireseome :( Yes it has been an adventure this trip ;D
Babs is right though the comedy bandage is detracting from the cankles which are definitely better (thanks itstime for the tip ;))
Handbag shopping will follow shortly...
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 22, 2012, 12:32:07 PM
The pain has started to reside and the comedy bandage came off yesterday :) I couldn't look as BH applied the new dressing as instructed by the doctor at Esanaf - he thinks there's a new nail growing but it could be wishful thinking.

Because I'm not allowed to swim, BH is going on "pool strike" in sympathy. I look longingly at the lovely pool from the roof terrace when the sun is out, which hasn't been that much in the afternoons for the last few days. The mornings are bright and sunny and then cloud appears over the mountain and by about 3pm has been overwhelming the sun. Yesterday the clouds were menacing and we were treated to a downpour and mild thunderstorm with spectacular forked lightning. We sat on the roof to watch, until the rain got too much.

Last market day for us yesterday so we bought up our green tea, spices and turkish delight to take home. We'd invited the Antlers for "cocktails and canapes" which I realise was incredibly pretentious when I couldn't find all the ingredients I needed ::) So I just decided to throw lots of alcohol and some coke and fruit juices together and called it Kalkan Iced Tea ;D ;D Essentially it was punch...but I frowned when BH asked if anyone would like punch ::) The Antlers sensibly declined and opted for beer and wine (soft drinks for Beth :)) so I decided to plough through it myself...I feel suprisingly ok today, although I shouldn't :-[ I was lovely to have them over to HanInn and return their wonderful hospitality from the previous week and before we knew it we were sitting on the roof shrouded in darkness, watching a small thunderstorm in the distance.
We are now trying to cram all those things we said we'd do into the last few days..still new restaurants to try, bag shopping (I've had a few recce's and know what I want...I think), carrot cake at Cafe Leon, Oz Adana....the days are just rolling into each other...drat and double drat :( :( You lucky people out there who are coming to Kalkan shortly, I'm so envious :P
Post by: Skunk on June 22, 2012, 07:27:41 PM
Great post indeed K4E - must be very tempting to get into THAT pool! Hope all your wishes come true for the last few days and maybe you can post a photo of the final decision on the bag! Happy hols and I will let you know how ours goes when we are out there. Love to Kilim! SX  :) :) :)
Post by: Babs on June 22, 2012, 09:11:57 PM
Looking forward to hearing about final bag choice!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on June 22, 2012, 09:22:50 PM
Yes K4E me too, one of my hobbies is handbags and I intend to purchase one in August too! please let me know what your final decision is, and where you purchase it from? Hope your toe is feeling better now.

Jayne
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 23, 2012, 12:30:43 AM
Ditto!!! The only bag I've managed to get in Kalkan for the past 2 years has been a blummin cafe vita shopper!!! This year I'm determined to buy a decent one and would love to hear what's "hot" on the bag front and would welcome your expert opinion  :)
Post by: DRBD on June 23, 2012, 09:01:01 AM
Just to cheer you up - take a look at the news reports on the music festival on the Ise of Wight this w/e - now thats what we all call an English Summer - Flaming June in more ways than one. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 24, 2012, 12:15:11 PM
When we woke up yesterday, it was very cloudy so we decided to pop into town to do some shopping. Sunglasses from Kaptan, tealight holders from that lovely lamp shop where I always buy ceramics to fret about going back to UK...don't ask me why? Had a look in the Pandora Shop, which once inside is a mix of bags, other jewellery and a bit of Pandora. It certainly looks like authentic Pandora but we didn't buy anything as I'd been treated to a pair of earrings in Just Silver only days before.
First stop bags!!!!! I'd done my research and wanted a Lady Dior from BSG and either a Ferragamo Tote (in cream) or a Tod's D Bag (also in cream) from Nuri. I'm really impressed with the quality of the bags this year, the Mulberrys are all good but I'm a bit Mulberryed out :) Nuri's first - I "ummed and ahhed" over the two whilst sipping apple tea - reminding BH about my foot situation hoping I might get the two - settled eventually on the Tod's. BH did the deal and I noticed Nuri threw the money on the floor. On to Kaptan's where he was impressed with my liittle bit of Turkish - three pairs of glasses for the"kids" and once again the money went onto the floor....First customers of the day, its lucky to throw the money on the floor....aahhhh! On a roll, into BSG for my Lady Dior but the young girl was on her phone and totally disinterested...after a few minutes of trying to catch her attention we left empty handed. Sale lost :( Back to Nuri who had the Lady Dior, but not in the colour I wanted. No matter, he'd try and get it for me before we go home tomorrow.
Shopping makes you hungry and thirsty so on to Cafe Leon so I could tick another of my boxes....carrot cake! Absolutely delicious - I enjoyed every mouthful of my guilty pleasure in Kalkan ;)
Last night we ate in Ozalp - BH's favourite meal of our stay, thus far. King Prawns - amazing apparently :)
We eat in Escudo tonight so I'm hoping we've saved the best till last :)
Post by: Skunk on June 24, 2012, 01:11:11 PM
Hi K4E have a great last day and safe journey back - been great to keep tabs on your holiday and hope the foot keeps getting better.  Now where's that photo????
Post by: misty on June 24, 2012, 01:44:15 PM
When we woke up yesterday, it was very cloudy so we decided to pop into town to do some shopping. Sunglasses from Kaptan, tealight holders from that lovely lamp shop where I always buy ceramics to fret about going back to UK...don't ask me why? Had a look in the Pandora Shop, which once inside is a mix of bags, other jewellery and a bit of Pandora. It certainly looks like authentic Pandora but we didn't buy anything as I'd been treated to a pair of earrings in Just Silver only days before.
First stop bags!!!!! I'd done my research and wanted a Lady Dior from BSG and either a Ferragamo Tote (in cream) or a Tod's D Bag (also in cream) from Nuri. I'm really impressed with the quality of the bags this year, the Mulberrys are all good but I'm a bit Mulberryed out :) Nuri's first - I "ummed and ahhed" over the two whilst sipping apple tea - reminding BH about my foot situation hoping I might get the two - settled eventually on the Tod's. BH did the deal and I noticed Nuri threw the money on the floor. On to Kaptan's where he was impressed with my liittle bit of Turkish - three pairs of glasses for the"kids" and once again the money went onto the floor....First customers of the day, its lucky to throw the money on the floor....aahhhh! On a roll, into BSG for my Lady Dior but the young girl was on her phone and totally disinterested...after a few minutes of trying to catch her attention we left empty handed. Sale lost :( Back to Nuri who had the Lady Dior, but not in the colour I wanted. No matter, he'd try and get it for me before we go home tomorrow.
Shopping makes you hungry and thirsty so on to Cafe Leon so I could tick another of my boxes....carrot cake! Absolutely delicious - I enjoyed every mouthful of my guilty pleasure in Kalkan ;)
Last night we ate in Ozalp - BH's favourite meal of our stay, thus far. King Prawns - amazing apparently :)
We eat in Escudo tonight so I'm hoping we've saved the best till last :)

K4E Just in case you didn't know those bags might not be real  >:D >:D >:D >:D......hope the foot is getting better. 
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 25, 2012, 09:31:35 AM
So our last day in Kalkan.... :( :(
Woke up for the first time in six days to beautiful blue skies - not a cloud in sight :)
Mostly packed last night - the downstairs bedroom has that horrible end-of-holiday look of empty wardrobes, opened drawers and filled open cases *sigh*
Nothing to do today except eat the entire contents of the fridge :o
Just thought I'd share with you some of my final observations from this trip:-

1. Kalkan is still a magical place to have a holiday. In essence the centre of the village remains charming, warm and welcoming...we have loved our evenings meeting friends old and new here.

2. Kalkan is getting younger. Maybe its just us getting older :-\ There have always been a few groups of young girls or boys staying in the parents villas after A'levels/graduation but this younger vibe is different. Lots of young couples visiting Kalkan for the first time, but not alone. Groups of two or three couples - in Sofra one night we encountered a group of five couples all late teens, very early twenties who had travelled together - first time in Kalkan. Not a criticism, just an observation.

3. Kalkan has a glut of supermarkets now. We visited them all at some point just to see what they offered in relation to Yali or Kartin - not much different really. We found Bim and Kipa Express to be very good value, but limited in their ranges. We mostly shopped there and stayed faithful to Kartin and Yali - Kartin and Kipa do the cheapest bottled Efes and Kartin was cheapest for Angora and Lal. What I couldn't get my head round was Kipa leaving everything out on the forecourt every night after they closed...surely some unscrupulous people would take advantage? The greengrocer opposite Parc Kalkan remains very competitive against the supermarkets.

4. We ate out a lot. The relative new kids on the block - Gourmet, White Table, Mussakka - were all excellent but our favourite meals were at "old boys" Ozalp, Kaya and Sofra. Also, the view from the Sofra roof terrace is, IMO, one of the best (if not THE best) in Kalkan. Our prize for the best dessert goes to White Table for their amazing cheesecake. We had this early on in the holiday so everything else came a poor second after that ;). The only new place we got to try was Escudo, which was very nice.

5. It is hard to get round if you have a mobility problem. To my shame, I have never appreciated this before as we walk everywhere. Having said that, I have seen more heels this holiday than EVER before :o This bears no relation to point 2, as those wearing heels were definitely not youngsters.....there has to be knack to wearing them, which paths you take and how far into town you go, but from my vantage point at Moonlight...HEELS!!! Lots of them :) I'm going to make it my mission when we next visit.

6. The bags are good this year....thanks for the tip Misty ;) I could have spent the entire holiday budget but the generous bag fund allowed me to buy two lovely ones - both from Nuri this year. I will upload photos when we return as I didn't pack the right cable :-[ Ladies who like to bag shop, yet to arrive in Kalkan....you are in for a treat :)

7. The weather has been weird for June :)

8. Learning to speak a little bit of Turkish goes a long way. I've been impressing the boys in Kaya every night as we pass on our way into town with my "new word for the day". Managing a very small conversation - good evening, how are you, I'm fine thanks, see you later has been relatively easy thanks to lingopal on my iphone. I'd highly recommend it.

9. I'm gutted to be going home, but hopefully be back sometime in September...with heels :)

We're being collected at 7pm, Turkish time, so I now have several hours to top up the tan on the roof terrace knowing what we will be going back to in the UK :(

Toodle pip x
Post by: Skunk on June 25, 2012, 10:28:10 AM
Some interesting observations there K4E - particularly about the younger crowd and the heels!  Have to see what I can do, although this year I have bought four pairs of flatty sandals mainly because of Kalkan!  Also good to hear Kartin are still the best value of Efes and wine - I do love them in there and like to support them. Good idea using the iphone lingopal - I find that even just a few words has a big positive effect.  I'll keep a look out for the photos.  Take care and have a safe trip back.  Cloudy here in Cambridge! Shame your weather wasn't as good as it could be.  All the best Caroline.
Post by: itstime on June 25, 2012, 04:56:19 PM
Safe journey home K4E. So glad that despite various "challenges" you still had a wonderful time. Have enjoyed reading about your experiences and have to say it sounds like you deserve a medal for putting up with a lot of discomfort but still retaining your sense of humour.
September isn't too far away and hopefully a fully fit K4E will grace the slopes of Kalkan with some blingy heels :o :o
Post by: clara 50 on June 25, 2012, 05:42:47 PM
We're out there next week and I'm about to start packing. Shall I be brave and pack heels or my wedgies [alias taxi shoes]? I did wear heels one night last year albeit quite small ones and we literally only had to walk to the end of the road to Bread'n More. Don't think I could manage the hill from the Moonlight in anything other than flatties and even then I've nearly landed on my rear more than once, I even have to watch what soles there are on my flatties or I end up slip sliding like Bambi on ice, not a good look! I suppose one answer to this problem is to take a big bag out with me so I can carry a pair of flippen-floppens in case of emergency LOL!!
Post by: itstime on June 25, 2012, 05:46:27 PM
There's absolutely no chance of me attempting heels of any height in Kalkan. I've managed to end up on the ground while wearing flats so couldn't even begin to imagine the carnage which would ensue with heels ??? ???
Post by: Skunk on June 25, 2012, 06:06:41 PM
Definitely flatties for me in Kalkan. I went out once in wedgies and couldn't walk in them at all.  OH had to go back and get me flat shoes instead!  :o ;D
Post by: Skunk on June 25, 2012, 06:35:29 PM
Just been people watching on the webcams on KTLN.  Very few heels around, all the ladies seem to be in flatties.  ;D ;D ;D
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on June 25, 2012, 07:03:49 PM
Good post Kalkan4eva, we also noticed a few younger ones in Kalkan this year, in fact there was a group of 3 young girls staying at the Pirat. (I'm not admitting to the fact i'm getting older!! Especially as it's my half a century this year!!).
I also like to speak a little Turkish, they appreciate it so much don't they and a few of the guys in the hotel used to teach me new phrases each day. Iam trying to learn my numbers and it used to give them great amusement when i tried to ask for our room key using Turkish numbers!!
We also noticed a few wedges/heels this year, think i'll stick to my bling flat sandals!! Safe journey home.
Post by: Rachey on June 25, 2012, 07:36:40 PM
Thanks for the fab updates and your final reflections K4E.  I hope your foot is soon completely better!  Looking forward to seeing the pics of your bags...I managed to resist this year, somehow  :)

It was great to meet you and your OH - hope to see you by the pool next year!
Post by: Babs on June 25, 2012, 09:58:37 PM
I have a whole collection of shoes ready to pack tomorrow for our holiday which begins on Wednesday  :) :) :) :) :) I have white, beach, black with flowers and a nice silvery grey pair....all flip flops! I too manage to fall/slip even in flip flops and find the best footwear to negotiate some hills is none at all!
Have loved reading your posts K4E. we shall shortly be invading with 4 twenty somethings.....my daughter and her friend and my older daughter and her boyfriend....no wait....her fiance! she literally got engaged today!!!  :laugh:
Post by: Skunk on June 25, 2012, 10:47:53 PM
Wow congratulations to your daughter - how exciting.  Give you lots to talk about on your hols!!
Post by: jayne on June 26, 2012, 07:13:08 PM
I can recommend 'flatforms' as a viable footwear option in Kalkan, much safer than heels, although you do have to be careful not to fall off them. ;)
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 26, 2012, 08:05:10 PM
So glad you've had a lovely holiday despite the pain and disability. I have enjoyed reading all of your posts and observations. Thanks for sharing them and hope you and BH have arrived home safely.  No chance of topping your tan up here yet so hope you managed to soak up the rays yesterday.  8)  :)
Post by: Bob & Jayne on June 26, 2012, 09:02:41 PM
Definitely flatties for me! Just invested in a white patent pair of Birkenstock Toe post sandals, awaiting their arrival.  They have been despatched, the suspense is just like waiting for delivery of the water hammock!!!  ;D
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 26, 2012, 10:40:17 PM
All of you guys coming out to Kalkan very soon, have an amazing time (Babs, you'll have a bit of celebrating to do ;)). Safely back in the UK after a bumpy flight and missing Kalkan already ::) Look forward to hearing all your reports, updates and views on Kalkan as and when. In the meantime, back in cold, grey UK we have Wimbledon, the Olympics and the start of the new football season to look forward to before we can make a return trip (fingers crossed) in September. Like you, Nicky I'm celebrating my Golden Jubilee this year and we're trying to cram so much in but I've already been on internet looking at flights - just those awful things called work commitments we have to sort now :-\ :-\
Post by: Skunk on June 27, 2012, 10:57:36 AM
Glad you're safe and sound back in UK but I bet you're missing Kalkan! My Golden Jubilee year too! Have fun. How's the foot? CX  :(
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 27, 2012, 12:19:34 PM
Foot's doing great, but our run of bad luck continues...someone broke in during the night and stole the keys to our car...oh and the car with it ::) Wouldn't mind but the car's been on the drive for three weeks...! House looks like the set of CSI this morning. I would give ANYTHING to be back in Kalkan right now >:(

BTW that's a few of us having our Golden Jubilee this year...Rachey is also. I'd suggest a gathering in Kalkan to celebrate only given recent events, something would BOUND to go wrong ::) ::) :-*
Post by: Lizilu20 on June 27, 2012, 12:33:34 PM
Oh, K4E, what rotten news!!! Thank goodness you and BH are safe and unharmed. It's a horrible and frightening feeling to have someone ransacking your house while you are unaware and vulnerable.
It happened to us when Lucie (our youngest) was a few months old and amongst other things, they took our video camera with a tape still inside of all her baby videos which unfortunately was never recovered. We ended up moving shortly after as my OH in particular did not feel safe there ever again.
Hope they find the b******s who did it!!!   :( :-*
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 27, 2012, 01:37:01 PM
You're right Lizilu. None of us were harmed, or even aware. They've only taken the car and a couple of watches - season ticket in the car and Hunter wellies - nothing sentimental, thank goodness. Turkish Delight and green tea ready to take into work today too :(
The police know who they are but they are having great trouble catching them...which is why we had SOCO and DC's at the house today. So little crime here, its shook everyone up. Our neighbours were targeted too :(
FLAMING JUNE!!! ;)
Post by: Skunk on June 27, 2012, 02:11:07 PM
Oh no I can't believe your luck. Hope the police pick em up and make mincemeat out of them.  As Lizilu says that at least you're safe. Take care of yourselves.  CX :'( :( >:(
Post by: itstime on June 27, 2012, 02:17:58 PM
You poor soul! what a streak of lousy luck you're having. Stay strong and I really hope that this is the last of the awful things and very soon some wonderful things will start to happen
Post by: clara 50 on June 27, 2012, 02:39:07 PM
So so sorry to hear this latest piece of bad news, as if you haven't had enough troubles lately. I always find that when we have bad luck which unfortunately seems all too often, it's never just the one thing to deal with, looks as if it's the same for you. For instance when we went to Kalkan two years ago having lost my Dad suddenly a few months beforehand on the morning after we arrived we had a call from my sis-in -law who was looking after our dog of fourteen years to say he'd had a massive stroke and would we give the vet permission to have him put to sleep, needless to say we were devastated. The next day a young lad drove into the back of our jeep and my OH had to take him to the medical centre, thankfully only cuts and bruises, then later on my son rang from home to inform us that the patio doors were stiff so he'd pushed them hard and the one door fell out and smashed to smithereens. Thankfully the rest of the holiday was uneventful and we tried to make the best of it but when we arrived back at Cardiff airport got in the car to find the battery was dead so had to bribe a taxi driver to give us a jump start, just the last straw,  wept nearly all the way home, pathetic really! I realise hearing my tales of woe doesn't make this horrible thing that's happened to you any better, it's everyone's worse nightmare, but just for you to know you're not on your own for having horrible luck and we sincerely hope they catch these nasty excuses for human beings and they get what they deserve! Keep your chin up kiddo, don't let the beggars win!!
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on June 27, 2012, 05:47:36 PM
So sorry to hear your news Kalkan4eva, hope the police have enough evidence to get them. As Clara says try to keep your chin up and don't let the 'bleepers' get you down. I'm a big believer in Karma and they'll get there comeuppance one day.
Post by: Rachey on June 27, 2012, 08:34:53 PM
Oh K4E that's a nightmare - what rotten luck you're having.  You must be due an overdose of good luck soon - so make sure you buy your lottery ticket!

We're missing Kalkan so much - this dreich weather is so depressing  :P  The thought of 2 visits to Kalkan is keeping me going - as well as looking at the webcams and reading people's holiday reports...but they make me jealous too  ;D

Hope you have a fab golden Jubilee - and you too Skunk.  62 was certainly a vintage year  :angel: :laugh:
Post by: HolmfirthNicky on June 27, 2012, 09:19:47 PM
My birthday falls in Nov and because i work in a shop and potentially it's the build up to Christmas , we're not allowed to take holidays in Nov so we've got a weekend planned for the end of Oct for my b'day. The Fri night we're going to see the comedian Rhod Gilbert in Huddersfield then we're going to head to Harrogate on the Sat morn for a night and go to this Italian restaurant we like. For my actual birthday all i want to do is go to our local Indian with OH and a few friends, i'm not one for big parties. We mentioned going somewhere exotic/different this year for our holiday as a celebration but all i wanted to do was go back to Kalkan and back to Fethiye in Sep!!
Post by: Skunk on June 28, 2012, 10:03:44 AM
Rachey errrrm - 52 even??? SX  ;D ;D ;D >:D
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal