Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE!!  (Read 6146 times)

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE!!
« on: June 06, 2012, 11:11:28 AM »
It all seems very quiet there in kalkan at the moment, I am constantly checking the webcams but I'm not sure if its my imagination it seems to be so much quieter than usual for this time of year, even this forum doesn't seem so busy with holiday reports etc. I first joined the forum to research before our 1st visit in 2010 and it seemed to be buzzing with visitor reports or am I mistaken. If anyone visiting at present just as a matter of interest how busy is it just now?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9558.0

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE!!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 12:04:48 PM »
have been out here a month and "a bit" now. very very quiet compared to previous years. this week a bit busier due to half term. feel sorry for the restaurants but a lot of villa guests seem to be doing bbq's instead of going out. also we had a couple of weeks of chilly evenings so many people may have stayed indoors :(

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 02:25:07 PM »
I've been out 3 times in the last 7 weeks...very quite indeed  ::)
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 03:25:31 PM »
Funny how peoples perception differ - we normally come May and September/October - this year we plumped for June and we think its very busy in town - we are staying in Ortalaan and most of the accomodation up here is empty although I hear most are booked for next week - not that we are complaining, its bliss!

Offline Kalkan Magic

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
  • www.kalkanmagic.com
    • Share Post
    • kalkan magic
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 03:36:14 PM »
Whenever I look at the Korsan Fish Terrace webcam it is absolutely packed every night - every table taken. I also don't know anyone with a villa in the Old Town or close by that is free this week or next. We're due out on Friday too.
KM

Offline jofoss

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 04:03:33 PM »
We arrived back on Sunday after two weeks in Kalkan. It was very very quiet in comparison to the same time last year. We were in Moonlight bar one evening and only one other table was occupied at 9 p.m. It seems that people were going off earlier for dinner, maybe because, especially in the first week, the evenings were quite chilly but it was definitely noticeably quieter! Family staying in Ovacik at the same time said that numbers were down considerably there too! I suspect that it is the austerity measures that are having quite an effect.

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 05:27:00 PM »
We are also just back after 2 weeks and thought it was just as busy as previous years?! After saying that, we mainly used the restaurants at the start of the Kalamar Road...Chillies, Kaya, Atlantis etc as Hubby was having mobility problems and most tables were full. Agree that the 1st week was chilly though.

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 05:35:09 PM »
Hi all. Sitting at the Yali Bar as I type this. We always come this time of year and on balance I'd say it was busier than previous years. Some nights everywhere has been quiet and then the next every place packed out!  It's heaven though and weather perfect.

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 06:30:17 PM »
Oh well seems I may have been wrong - not that I am bothered if it's quiet all the better for getting a good table whenever you want but thanks all for your replies so far, just whetting my appetite for a week on Friday whooppie, have a great time Rachey I know you will I am so jealous.

Offline Baggy

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 07:44:12 PM »
we came back on Saturday after two weeks and it did seem quiet for the time of year to us. Some nights we were the only table for dinner - and that was in restaurants that are usually quite popular. Great for us - not so great for people trying to scratch a living.

Offline Potter

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 09:51:39 AM »
My brother is a resident and I was speaking to him on Saturday. He stated that this year has been very quiet so far compared with previous years.
 ;)
I'll get me coat!! ;-).....Bang on!

Offline sukiliz

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 11:45:27 AM »
Hi All - Returned from Kalkan on Saturday seemed much quieter than normal for May, local business people told us they think it's going to be a very tough season, we are back in August and are sure it will be very much busier then.

Offline Vally

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 12:00:36 PM »
We've been here for 10 days now and the past few days it has really picked up. The town seems quite busy.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 07:44:18 PM »
Looking at the webcams here and on KTLN everywhere seems quiet....... come on those in Kalkan, how busy is it and more to the point whats this rain cloud on Accuweather!!

Offline Skunk

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 08:00:11 PM »
I think it looks quieter on the webcams as well, but a lot of the recommended restaurants are up towards Kalamar and the market road so we don't really see that end of the town on them.  Also, I suspect lots of people are eating in more as the recession bites the UK  - the prices have gone up a bit to compensate for the exchange rate so probably still good value, but paying out a lot more than in England for wine probably isn't going down that well.  Food and alcohol in the shops is much better value for money imho.  :) ::) :'(
As for the cloud - well it happens everywhere these days with the new streams of weather - no proper sun over here for May nor June and threats of a globally changing weather pattern.  One cloud could be seen as trivial!!!!!!!

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 08:35:30 PM »
"Is There Anybody Out There, Is There Anybody Out There?"

Sorry, quote from our recent visit to Cold Play at the Emirates Stadium, it was amazing and we looked forward to it for 6 months! but the anticipation isn't as great as our "46" days left until we visit Kalkan. 

Jayne & Bob (Jayne)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 08:50:17 PM by Bob & Jayne »

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 09:00:39 PM »
I have also been a little alarmed at the odd rain cloud on accuweather....but then when you look closer sometimes there is only 6% or so cloud cover so I think you would be unlucky to catch a shower.....well I certainly hope so anyway!  ::)

I have a couple of questions for those currently out in Kalkan........
what are evening temperatures like.....have cardi/pashmina evenings passed.....I'm hoping for shorts/dresses....but not at the same time
We are staying at Truffle, has anyone moved into the Teskom building and if not where is our nearest supermarket?

thanks

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 09:21:57 PM »
Mrs A suggests the less you wear the better! It is just over 31C on the balcony and it is currently 23.25hrs

If it gets any warmer, I will have to stop eating.

I think you would struggle with trousers, let alone anything around your shoulders.......

Cheers

Steve

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 09:59:36 PM »
thanks Mr and Mrs Antler.....loving your daily blogs....have image of you sitting in water hammock, while cooking on bbq with ipad in one hand!

enjoy your amazing holiday!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 10:30:18 PM »
Babs it feels like August out here right now - don't waste valuable packing space with pashminas or cardis - absolutely not needed. It clouded over yesterday afternoon but stayed incredibly warm nonetheless. Today it went back to boiling hot :)
The old Teskom store is now occupied by Kipa - part of the real Tesco group conversely :) Good little store which has special offers and very useful for you staying in Truffle.
Generally Kalkan feels about right for June in terms of how busy it is - but the beach was packed today, more so than I would expect for this time of year yet Palm Beach, just days earlier, felt quiet :-\
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Boats in harbour

Views: 3919
By: cer
Chilling out