Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Mosquito's  (Read 7486 times)

Offline LancashireLass

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
  • I long for the day when I return to Kalkan
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Mosquito's
« on: May 10, 2012, 07:50:41 AM »
Hi

Could please someone advise me as to what the Mosquito population will be like from 19th May, are they on full bite or will we get away not bringing any Jungle?

Many Thanks

Janie X

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9407.0
Janie Q

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Mosquito's
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 07:57:12 AM »
Be prepared.
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline LancashireLass

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 08:01:49 AM »
Thank you i will be investing in double strength Jungle this weekend.

Jx

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 08:46:32 AM »
Olive flies could also be a  pain this time of year where they like a good nibble on the head. I have been advised to wash the hair in Head & shoulders. They are annoying litle blighters.

Offline Bdancer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 09:30:00 AM »
If you usuaully attract them them my advise would be use everything! and something with as much deet as is allowed by health & Safety we have in the past noticed that the Olive flies seemed to be at their most active late afternoon/early evening
Isis

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 02:24:20 PM »
Could this thread be combined with the other mosquito thread already running...?
I like a tidy house :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 05:56:13 PM »
just before you tidy up....can someone tell me if the olive flies will be around at the end of June and if so is there anything I can do about them.....the usual mozzie stuff that I buy in Kalkan works for me and I react badly!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 06:26:21 PM »
try some citronella oil, Babs. To be honest the Olive flies appear to be immune to repellents and as said on here they are most active late afternoon and early evening - as you're catching the last rays on your balcony with your G&T.
They used to be gone by May but I've been there in early June and they've been about - later in June, you're probably safe.

Offline Baggy

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 06:56:46 PM »
They love me . . . but by sticking to the Head and Shoulders and Avon Skin So Soft I have only had about three bites in five visits to Kalkan . . . May, June, September and October.

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 09:31:38 PM »
I hate to disagree with you K4E, but I have found that the olive flies bite any time and start in May. When I was working in our garden in May, 2 years ago, I was only outside until lunchtime but they had me every morning until I started wearing a cap.
Just remembering it has me scratching my head. Oh no, it's alright, it's only nits.

Offline alisonh

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 10:40:58 PM »
We have also been bitten by the olive flies at all times during the day. Last year we were in Kalkan end of June until 2nd July and they were still hanging around.  Two years ago in May my scalp was covered in bites, especially along my parting so last year the hat was on all day - but they just moved to other parts of my body!!  We have tried all the usual mosquito repellents but nothing seemed to deter these little blighters. They seemed to swarm around us when we got out of the pool - the moisture on our skin perhaps?  We will be in Kalkan the same 2 weeks this year so I have scoured the internet to try and find some sort of repellent but there doesn't seem much info out there.  I will take some head and shoulders and dab tea tree oil behind my ears (a tip I've read somewhere) and give them a try - hopefully they won't hang around as long this year. :(

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 06:04:47 AM »
The biting problem is a bit weird.The mosquitos and olive flies love my husband but not me!!!....Wonder what attracts them to a person?

Offline LancashireLass

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 07:17:20 AM »
Hi

Thank you everyone for the advise and i will be advising friends about Head and Shoulders.  I have never heard of Olive Flies and by all accounts they sound more annoying than Mozzies.  I don't usually get bit but my partner Tony the minute he sets foot out the door its like ringing the dinner bell. 

Thnks agains

Love Jx

Offline LozJay

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 10:08:15 PM »
Hiya,
We got back yesterday after a lovely week in Kalkan, and I have to say - no olive fly bites here!
However even though I used the Avon skin so soft with citronella and jungle formula spray, I did get 5 mozzie bites, one of which had a bad reaction and created a huge "bubble" on the side of my leg which I had to pop and dress!  So definitely take loads of mozzie repellents xx

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 09:15:11 AM »

Hiya,
We got back yesterday after a lovely week in Kalkan, and I have to say - no olive fly bites here!
However even though I used the Avon skin so soft with citronella and jungle formula spray, I did get 5 mozzie bites, one of which had a bad reaction and created a huge "bubble" on the side of my leg which I had to pop and dress!  So definitely take loads of mozzie repellents xx

Ouch I feel your pain  :'( Many years ago, before the Mozzie Busting spraying, I got so badly bitten, that I had a whole mass of "bubbles" on both legs. Looked like bunches of grapes  :o
I had to get them lanced and treated and remember how awful it was. Thankfully since I started using Skin so Soft, Sin Kov and take antihistamines for 2 weeks before arriving and every day while over there, I've hardly been bitten. I do remember the doctor laughing when I showed him the antihistamines I was using though as apparently Turkish ones are much stronger and more effective.
Sincerely hoping that I don't ever have to go through that again!

Offline tonik1945

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 11:02:31 PM »
Hi itstime, are turkish antihistamines easily available and do you know what they are called? I had cancer a number of years ago and am very nervous of being bitten in my arm as lymph nodes were removed. I do use Boots anti mossie stuff but believe in a belt and braces approach, thanks Toni

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 07:26:20 AM »
Hi Toni

You do not need a prescription in Turkey for the vast majority of drugs and all the pharmacists here will give advice on the medicines they carry.  Anti- histamines are called just that.  You can also buy anti-histamine cream which is very effective if you can get it on a bite shortly after you have been bitten.

I particularly recommend the pharmacist on the main road going up to the market. Just up from the roundabout - about a I minute or so from Kaya.  He has absolutely perfect English and is very helpful.

From memory, I think the tablets are about £3.00 for 20.

Lantana

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 08:06:49 AM »
Pesky blighters only munch on me once or twice, unlike my poor colleague :'( :'(    However, beware of those bloody jumping spiders, they pack a worse punch than mossies, and once they spot you, are really on a mission! For a tiny creature, they have no fear - get them before they get you, do not miss with your flippen floppen :o :o :o  Once again my poor colleague was very badly bitten, the bites turned nasty, but the Pharmacy came up trumps :) :) :) 

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 08:48:11 AM »
Those spiders very kindly have a cross on the back....very helpful for lining up maximum splat power with the Flippen Floppen ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Bdancer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 09:27:29 AM »
I agree  get them before they get you
Isis

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
mosquito help!

Started by katieh on General Discussion

14 Replies
Last post August 01, 2009, 08:52:05 PM
by jinfizzz
recycled
Mosquito nets

Started by Tinsletravellers on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 04:50:14 PM
by paulie1955
xx
Mosquito sprayers ?

Started by Cosetta on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post May 16, 2012, 06:35:00 AM
by kevincat99
clip
Mosquito Repellent Wristbands!

Started by lordwizlon on Classifieds - Available

2 Replies
Last post October 22, 2012, 09:26:22 AM
by lordwizlon

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

harbour at night

Views: 4210
By: jofoss
Harbour