Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: New DEFRA rules re dogs in/out of UK  (Read 3189 times)

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
New DEFRA rules re dogs in/out of UK
« on: April 26, 2012, 08:36:42 PM »
Has anyone put this to the test between Turkey and the UK?

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9332.0
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline KAPSA Kalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 141
    • Share Post
    • KAPSA - Kalkan association for the protection of street animals
  • Owner: No
Re: New DEFRA rules re dogs in/out of UK
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 09:07:28 PM »
Tricia from Kaş Animal Friends took a dog over to the UK in January and as far as I know all went smoothly. Our first experience of sending a dog to the UK will be in June this year. If all the neccessary things have been done and all paperwork is in order there should be no reason for any problems.
Visit our website www.kapsaonline.com/
or join us on Facebook at Friends of Kapsa
https://www.facebook.com/groups/friendsofkapsa/

Offline Sanlucido

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 07:52:26 AM »
Hello

We are a couple of ex-pats who live in southern Italy.  We have a villa in Kalkan and want to drive over with our two dogs in October.  They both have pet passports.

Can anyone advise us please of what is required for them to enter and leave Turkey?

We have tried searching on the internet, but there is not a lot of information and some of it is conflicting.

Would also be interested to hear from anyone who has taken their dog over from the UK etc., about the route taken and any problems.

Thanks in advance

Sue & Pete

Offline zola

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 02:57:32 PM »
Hi sanlucido
you won't have a problem coming into Turkey, it maybe going back after being in Turkey! Turkey is not classed as part of the EU so you HAVE to have a 3rd world certificate issued from Turkey. As long as you have your pets passport you should not have a problem. The MCV veterinary clinic in Fethiye, vet mustafa karagoz is the best man to ask on this subject to put your mind at ease as he speaks perfect English (not sure about his italian) and is like the ministry vet.  He would be the person that would help or help you to ship or fly your dog and also would collect the paper work that would be required, the certificate only gets issued a couple of days before you move the animal. His number is 05356292080 hope this helps. zola

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 05:02:49 PM »
We have taken our 2 dogs to and from Italy by car a few times, and every winter and spring take them to and from Spain.  The only thing we have ever needed was the pet passport showing the original rabies titer date and current rabies shot given at least 10 days prior to entering Turkey.  As a precaution, we also ask our normal vet, i.e., any vet, to sign the passport on the page that says the dog is in good health.  This should be dated within 3 days of entering Turkey.

No one at border control has ever asked for anything more than the passport.  Coming by plane there are some other documents needed.  And if you take the boat from Ancona to Igoumenitsa, the Italians want you to produce a muzzle which, in theory at least, is supposed to be on the dog whenever it is the public areas of the boat.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 05:06:36 PM by Cosetta »

Offline zola

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 06:20:46 PM »
Any EU animal will have no problems with entering any country, it's the 3rd world countries which Turkey is classed as that has the problems. Turkey has always been classed as a high risk country for rabies, the rules are very clear. The UK will NOT let you enter without the 3rd world certificate, other country's may differ. The DEFRA sight gives you all of the information you need if you are going to the UK, any other country's finer details are left for you to check yourself as they only cover the UK, they do provide other country's information though.  some country's differ for what the boarders require, bearing in mind that the UK has until 1st jan been classed as a rabies free country, France spain italy etc have not, thats why the UK had quarantine. The UK  require a certificate from a 3rd world country, if you don't have one they WILL quarantine your pet once it arrives.

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 08:05:57 PM »
That's interesting about the new DEFRA rules re the UK.  We have never taken our dogs on any British airline or tried to pass into or through the UK en route to anywhere.  I thought maybe this would be easier in the event we wanted to make a connecting flight through the UK but I see it is still a hassle. 

Hallelujah for Air France, Iberia, Lufthansa, Swiss, Alitalia and all the US airlines that make it easy to travel with pets in cabin (assuming they in their carrying case weigh less than 6 kilos).  Boo to Turkish Airline that allows only 1 dog in cabin on any plane.  But Atlasjet allows 2 dogs in cabin on domestic flights.

Offline Sanlucido

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 06:16:44 AM »
Thanks for the prompt replies.

We will be traveling direct from Italy to Turkey and back, so will not be going via the UK.

Cosetta, you have obviously done this a few times from Italy.  Which route did you use please?  We are in Calabria in the south so have not yet decided whether to use the ferry and go via Greece or drive up to the north and across.  Any advice please from your experiences?

Many thanks

Sue & Pete

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 06:45:22 AM »
We drove back and forth with our dogs 4 times.  I also lived in Rome for 15 years.  But as this is a topic of interest to few, I will send you a private message about the best route.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:22:55 AM by Cosetta »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
New Visa Rules

Started by kevincat99 on Flights and Travel

20 Replies
Last post January 25, 2015, 10:39:19 PM
by si18665
xx
New rules on rental income

Started by baclava on General Discussion

25 Replies
Last post February 09, 2018, 12:54:28 PM
by caradog
xx
Hiring a Car in Turkey - New Rules

Started by kalkan4eva on Flights and Travel

8 Replies
Last post May 15, 2015, 03:28:38 PM
by DRBD
xx
New rules for renting out property

Started by baclava on General Discussion

13 Replies
Last post May 02, 2017, 07:35:44 AM
by Little Missy

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal