Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Street Dog Collection  (Read 5978 times)

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
Re: Street Dog Collection
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2012, 10:49:49 AM »
Was eating at Merkez last night. Very quiet and only saw 2/3 dogs. Makes a difference. Maybe owners were keeping them in as a result of the announcement. I like animals but don't particularly want them following me around or hanging around whilst I'm eating. I'm sure not much will change but maybe a step in the right direction.

Offline KAPSA Kalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 141
    • Share Post
    • KAPSA - Kalkan association for the protection of street animals
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2012, 01:19:32 PM »
Happy days –Sorry, I don’t think it is our place to speak on behalf of the Belediye, perhaps you could ask them.   Having said this though, we are naturally very pleased that the Belediye is now beginning to address this issue. There are at least as many owned dogs on the streets of Kalkan as there are strays, so if the Belediye is now impressing on people that they need to take their ownership responsibilities seriously then this can only be a very good thing for Kalkan. Already we have had reported sightings of people walking their dogs on leads where normally these same dogs would have been wandering freely!
As far as we know there have been roughly 35 dogs (majority of which were puppies) dumped in or near Kalkan since the beginning of this year. Despite this though, the total number of street dogs in Kalkan has changed little. The reason for this is that this winter we have managed to home at least 20 puppies/dogs (many outside Kalkan) Another 8 dogs have gone from Kalkan and we know of at least 5 that have died.
We hope that the Belediye’s message is now getting to other villages in the area too, after all dumping of dogs is not unique to Kalkan, sadly it has been the main method of dog control (albeit very short sited) all over Turkey since Ottoman times.
I hope this goes some way to answering your questions if not please feel free to come to talk to us when you are next in Kalkan. That goes for everyone BTW.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 03:22:37 PM by KAPSA Kalkan »
Visit our website www.kapsaonline.com/
or join us on Facebook at Friends of Kapsa
https://www.facebook.com/groups/friendsofkapsa/

Offline happy days

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 25
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2012, 03:13:03 PM »
KAPSA - thank you for response. 35 dogs since the turn of the year is a lot for a town the size of  Kalkan. It shows the challenge faced to stop the dog population from getting unmanageable. Hopefully word will spread to the outlying villages that the dumping of dogs  is unlawfull. Keep up the good work in finding the dogs permanent homes.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Rubbish collection

Started by Cosetta on Living In Kalkan

4 Replies
Last post July 21, 2010, 11:48:44 PM
by hel66
xx
Re: Refuse Collection

Started by Cosetta on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post June 12, 2013, 08:58:03 AM
by Cosetta
xx
Villa Help - The Turquoise Collection

Started by maheenoo on Accommodation and Hotels

5 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 12:59:44 PM
by Queenie
xx
Oasis Hotel part of the Tapestry collection

Started by clarborough on Accommodation and Hotels

27 Replies
Last post June 03, 2009, 08:15:30 AM
by belinda

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal