Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Suggestions to Improve Kalkan  (Read 7630 times)

Offline Denners

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Suggestions to Improve Kalkan
« on: November 06, 2011, 08:18:08 AM »
Yesterday I was sat having a cup of tea with two friends on the balcony of one of my friend's apartment looking out to the wonderful sight of Kalkan bay. The conversation got round to improvements that could be made to Kalkan.

I understand that the previous mayor had a plan to build a walking promenarde around the bay. I gather this is no longer a plan with the current administration.

However, we discussed this and came to the conclusion that it would be a good idea. It would extend from Coretta Coretta beach club back towards the harbour, then round passing behind the town beach (where the new road is now) and round to Kisla. People from Kisla could use it to walk into town instead of have the climb up to the road. It could have a few bars, cafes and shops on it. I bit like a smaller version of the promenade at Fethiye.

What do people think ?
Any other suggestions to improve the facilites of Kalkan ?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8787.0
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 08:24:21 AM by Denners »

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Suggestions to Improve Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 09:35:17 AM »
Hi Denners

It was also suggested that a walkway be built round from Kalamar bay round to Caretta Caretta

Again this would open the place up and as you say with the inclusion of a couple of small bars / cafes along the route you would be able to enjoy the really spectacular coastline and get some exercise !!

It would not even need to be paved or anything just a good flat track would suffice

Kalkan suffers from anywhere to be able walk a reasonable distance that does not include hills [and being pestered by restaurant and cafe owners  ;) ]

If it is the Belediye's idea to build that dual carriageway down from the traffic lights to the Mosque road - save that money and spend it on something more useful maybe
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 09:38:04 AM by kevincat99 »

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 10:44:32 AM »
Whatever we propose, there will be many on here who will shoot it down and blindly promote their own ideas as the best, even if the original article only asks for ideas, plural not singular.

I think the track would be a great idea and agree with KC99 that the widening of the road could reasonably remain on a backburner (even if it is already on the town map, as well as a roundabout at the Belediye).  A low level track would need to be pretty sturdy to stand up to the battering of the winter seas.  However, I'm not sure I agree about being 'pestered' by restaurant frontmen.  Have you ever been to ..... anywhere else in Southern Europe?  Considerably more intrusive.  On the hills, if there were less, there would be even more development and we would be in a slightly smaller version of Fethiye, without our stunning views

Iyi Bayramlar!!!

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 10:52:46 AM »

Eniste ...Iyi Byramlar

Thank you for agreeing with me and maybe if it happens we could walk hand in hand from Kalamar along our new track into the sunset at the harbour

Wow ...the mind boggles  ;D

Offline WOS

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 11:33:55 AM »
Thank you KK. Having woken up to a dreary UK November day with what seems like the weight of the world on my shoulders and knowing both of you well, this brought a much needed smile to my face!  :D

As for the suggestion of some sort of 'walk way' from Kalamar to the harbour and beyond - a lovely idea, but it would need to be at quite a high level to withstand the winter seas?

Iyi Bayramlar to you both and all other EK'ers!

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 02:00:30 PM »
KC99 - as long as it remains only your mind that boggles, I think it's best. 

How about a walkway direct from Kalamar to Kışla (and I mean direct, straight across)?  How much can a swing bridge cost compared to 500m of tarmac etc and all that associated noise?

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 03:22:42 PM »
WOS the high winter seas would be no problem as we both have oilskins [albeit that we only wear them at our group get togethers on a Thursday-so if other oilskin wearers are out there please get in touch]
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 03:28:10 PM by kevincat99 »

Offline Dellbarr

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 03:50:46 PM »
Walk from Kalamar into the harbour to see the sunset . Wouldn't the sunset be behind you.?

Offline AllanChris

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 08:26:15 PM »
Not if you walk backwards (to Christmas) Min.
Keep On Rockin' In The Free World!

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »

That's very true Neddie or was it Bluebottle ??

Offline AllanChris

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 10:43:25 PM »
Neddy? He's fallen in the water!   :laugh:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 10:49:05 PM by AllanChris »

Offline babyboomer

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 06:47:46 AM »
Hi all.

my OH and i have also been day dreaming about what could be done to make life a little easier in getting into kalkan from kalamar.

when we are out on the boat and looking back to kalamar, we chat about "what if they could build a tunnel through the mountain side" or as already been said a walk around the bay. Kalamar to kalkan without climbing way up the hill or 167 steps from our street to the site of the kalamar hotel (BLISS). the walk along kalamar road is a walk in the park from this point once we have recovered from our collapse in the efforts to get up this far.

it is such a shame in the lovely weather and beautiful views to have to take a taxi, when a lovely stroll, not to mention the excercise is what we really would like to be doing, not to mention the daily cost of taxis,if we dont make this effort to (just get up the hill).

do hope a survey will one day take place to look at what the needs of the people are in terms of accessability into kalkan.

maybe see you all walking hand in hand along the coast road, or have effes at one of the bars along the way. magic.
regards

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 09:03:46 AM »
why not just a water taxi between Kalkan & Kalamar and vice versa?...cheap option....small fare recovers some money ;)

KC and Eniste could be at the front like the titanic singing..."near,far....wherever you are" etc !
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 09:12:40 AM by blue lizard »
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline babyboomer

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 09:29:44 AM »
nice to hear from you blue lizard.

i am here in kalkan at the moment. you are so right a water taxi is a brilliant idea.

i meant to put it on my post as another option, then forgot.

i have spoken to a couple of guys at kalamr beach club about this mode of transport.

as best as i could understand it is the cost of having a boat. this was a bit lost on me (probably in translation to be fair).

however there are several water taxis in kalkan harbour that take you to the different beach clubs, but alas not one that brings you to kalamar.

stay in touch mr lizard. :) :) :)

Offline Linsue

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 10:29:27 AM »
I'd like to keep it simple and have a safe way of actually crossing the new "M4" aka D400 from Kisla near the old Luka to the main town!  what ever happened to the promise of a crossing or a pedestrian bridge!

Apart from that the best way to improve Kalkan is to leave it as it is, it has almost been changed and modernised too much, so for me enough is enough! The simplicity of Kalkan was always it's charm for me.

Offline Denners

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 03:27:53 PM »
But the reality is that change and evolution will take place. I was looking for suggestions of things that would be worthwhile and beneficial.

I agree about there being no necessity to widen the road down from the petrol station, spend the money elsewhere, like a couple of pedestrian bridges over the D400 motorway (which was a waste of money !).

A water taxi from Kalamar...good idea but to my mind would not replace a walking promenarde if it could be extended all the way round to Kalamar.

I also heard of a plan to build a second breakwater to extend the size of the harbour.

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 05:14:42 PM »
I think the beachfront promenade would be an excellent addition. I think the dual carriageway from the petrol station is inevitable especially if Migros is coming, which i understand might be 50m up from Cafe Ev. The work they are doing behind the beach where the derelict building is looks interesting.

Offline Bdancer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 05:35:57 PM »
Now that they have got the new D400 they should provide a safe way to cross it , so a footbridge should be high up on any list
Isis

Offline babyboomer

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 06:51:05 PM »
i do so agree with the comments regarding a footbridge across from the D400

I have looked at buying across that side of the duel carriage way.

but decided against it for the very reason that crossing it was potentially dangerous.

I have seen cars driving the wrong way since it became a duel carriage way. and being british i still have to think about which way i am looking before crossing any roads. i do get the hang after a while ,however , have to think it all through again on next visit.

we have family with small (ish) children and simply dont want anyone crossing this road.

i did hear of plans to build a footbridge last year, then heard that the plans to do so had to go on hold, not sure of reasons when i was given this information.

I would say from a safety point of view, it needs to take prority over other potential access routes into kalkan.

me and OH can struggle uo the hill a while longer in favour of a crossing bridge on this main road.

regards.

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 07:40:18 PM »
Built a dual carriageway into town or..........
Improve the existing water and electric supplies,street lighting,pavements,car parking,dolmus services,unmade roads.Build a much needed footbridge over the D400 and look at ways to build more walkways to connect the various areas of Kalkan.
I know which I would prefer.I understand there will be different sources of funding but surely at least the footbridge should be a priority over a dual carriageway.

The work behind the beach is to improve the gully that takes water down from the mountains and into the sea in the winter months.We have been told that the work on the D400 means more water will run down hence the improvements.Have also been told that a walkway is being made to the beach alongside the gully and a small footbridge too.I am sure new houses built there will be inevitable.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 07:44:56 PM by amber »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
First time to Kalkan - some suggestions please!

Started by jonathan_bude on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

15 Replies
Last post July 25, 2013, 10:22:34 PM
by cptergun
xx
Road trip from Bodrum to Kalkan - Any suggestions?

Started by jayne on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

5 Replies
Last post October 04, 2008, 12:05:05 PM
by jayne
xx
Suggestions Please

Started by Firecat on Other Resorts

2 Replies
Last post September 13, 2010, 10:59:46 AM
by antler
xx
Take away suggestions

Started by Solz on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post June 15, 2018, 07:07:54 AM
by onelove

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Matterhorn

Views: 3543
By: blondie
Map of Kalkan