Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Internet  (Read 2612 times)

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Internet
« on: September 05, 2011, 02:53:41 PM »
Hi,
People making enquiries re. the villa have been increasingly asking about availability of internet access on site. Can anyone tell me of a way that is easy to set up and not going to break the bank? We are only there 6-8 weeks ourselves per year.
Thanks
Rx

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8479.0

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Internet
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 03:05:16 PM »
Hi Roxie,

Its really easy, all you need is a phone (land line) once you have this you just buy 'broadband connection'  thats it your on the WWW  8)

Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 04:14:10 PM »
Hi,
Got that bit ok. It was the cost of installing it and what about the renters using the land line to phone home? Suppose you don't need a phone and could just have the router and wi fi.  Wonder how the land line comes in, as we have just got rid of our poles and got a new road. Don't want big poles and wires again! So, down to cost, supplier and access!
Rx

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 04:36:49 PM »
You MUST have a land line, cant do anything until you do that  ::).    Guests...Just lock the phone, only let it be used for local calls... phone installer man should be able to do this for you.  Cost... you will have to ask, sorry  8)    I think its now almost becoming the norm to have wifi connection in a rented ap'nt / villa.     How many people do you know who dont have a mobile  ???.    they call it progress  ;)

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 04:55:14 PM »
As KD says you can put a bar the phone which means guests cannot make calls outside of the area but can call local restaurants etc.  It also bars them from calling mobiles.  The internet costs are around 52 lira per month for unlimited access, you will need this if you have guests in as you have no way of monitoring how long they will online.  The telephone line is around 20 lira per month.  You can cut the internet at the end of the season but the phone line has to remain in place all year.  It used to be that the phone line had to go in a residents name but think this may have changed and also I've recently heard that you in fact do not need to get a telephone line installed, but how you get broadband then is unclear to me??

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 06:39:40 PM »
Thanks folks,
Had a feeling that you needed to be a resident and that's why we didn't put a landline in when we built the villa. Has that changed now?  Good you can cancel during the winter. Can you cancel for a few months and then start,stop after a few months?
Rx

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 08:11:41 PM »
Roxie just got the following information from a friend who lives in Kalkan.

You do not need a land line for internet access or indeed any kind of phone. What you need is a dongle. This is a device which enables you to receive the internet on 3G - so it in fact works anywhere - even out on a boat in the middle of the bay. It fits into the USB port on any computer and is the same size as a memory stick and looks just like one.

You buy them in Baris's phone shop which is more or less opposite the DIY shop near Kaya restaurant. It costs approx about 150TL to purchase then 50TL per month for almost unlimited monthly use. Once you have bought the dongle you only need to purchase the monthly useage as required.

We have one and it gives a very good connection.  We top it up once a month when required and leave it dormant the rest of the time. It is a very cheap, easy and reliable way of providing internet access without going to the trouble of having a land line installed. To connect to the internet you simply need to plug it in, enter the pin number which you are given when you buy the dongle and away you go.

Sounds simple and probably the cheapest way to gain internet access.

Offline villakova

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 09:39:26 PM »
How does the top up work??

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 10:20:52 AM »
In a similar way as pay as you go mobile phone.  You go the Turkcell shop, ask and pay for the top up credit and within 15 minutes, you're working.

You should be aware though, if you don't top up for 6 months, the sim is disconnected and you would have to buy a new one.

We have one, as teenage daughters can't possibly live without Facebook! 

For us, the dongle is great because we visit a few times a year, have a place but because we dont rent it out, can't justify the cost of WiFi.
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Internet VPN

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on Living In Kalkan

7 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 06:19:41 PM
by turkeyfan
xx
internet

Started by geirarne on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post October 06, 2013, 10:03:25 PM
by Christina
xx
internet

Started by hils on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post May 04, 2008, 01:22:44 PM
by Chucky
xx
4G Internet Access

Started by soprano on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post May 03, 2013, 09:10:47 AM
by alantj

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal