Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: What we thought of the restaurants this year................  (Read 4288 times)

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
What we thought of the restaurants this year................
« on: August 30, 2011, 09:33:35 PM »
Wilkinson Family 2011 5* Kalkan Restaurant Rating (not review), Should have done this sooner as memory is fading.................

(Disclaimer: Ratings were awarded during “night cap time” back at the apartment on the day of the meal and are extremely subjective!!!!)

9/7/11 Mussakka Brasserie.  Slightly disappointing (compared to actual Mussakka in previous years) but still very good quality & value. Rating ****
10/7/11  Zula  Excellent! First time. Beautiful food and great service. Was a little quiet –(fairly accurate reflection of Kalkan generally this year). Definitely one to go back to next year. Rating *****
11/7/11 Bade Beach  Superb food and service. Another one on the list for a return visit. Sadly empty when we were there. Really hope business has picked up. Rating *****
12/7/11  (Lunch) Tlos (Patara). Woo Hoo!! So glad we went. Unbelievably good value and food to die for. Raring *****
12/7/11 (Eve) Chillis (takeaway)  Just popped in on the way back from Patara Beach to say hello to the guys.  Picked up a few mezes and a kebab. Love this place. Rating ****
13/7/11 Coast  Really disappointing experience. Service slow, food too salty and expensive (Typical  for the harbour but makes you realise how much better the value is in the places “up the hill”). Rating ***
14/7/11 Ali Babas. Mistake! Wrong one! This is the one ABOVE the Tesko roundabout. Rating reflects size of portions as much as anything. Food OK but nothing special. Rating **
15/7/11 (Lunch) Chillis.  Lovely mexes and puffy bread.  Rating ****
15/7/11 (Eve) Baharat  Another first and to be honest it was Zack’s friendly welcome as we walked down  the street that got us in there but so glad!!! Food excellent, service great. A little pricey we thought but great atmosphere due to being rammed. Rating *****
16/7/11 Ali Babas.  The right one this time! First time. Fab food (although some items sold out by time we got there). Great value….one of cheapest evenings. Rating *****
17/7/11 Kosk. Most disappointing experience of the fortnight. Service slow and waiters rude & sullen. Nothing to recommend this place. Shame. Rating *
18/7/11 Mussakka   Super meal, service and atmosphere. Reputation well and truly lived up to. Rating  *****
19/7/11  Fez  Another first for us. Excellent value & quality and will be revisited next time. Rating *****
20/7/11 Mahmouts. Weds night = lamb night. Did not live up to the hype. Very average food but had a v nice bottle of red (not Angora). Wouldn’t go back……Rating ***
21/7/11  Salt & Pepper  Disappointingly didn’t live up to it’s reputation. Food, service and atmosphere only average. Rating ***
22/7/11 Chillis   Love this place. Have I said that before. Final meal en route to Dalaman. Food & service great and shady table. Fond farewells and a quick cuddle from Guven and Mr Happy (Then Mrs W got one). Rating *****

Food also consumed at Kleo & Fener. Both were excellent but not restaurants so not included above!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8459.0
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline hodstar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
Re: What we thought of the restaurants this year................
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 10:09:08 PM »
Great report Peter
Quite shocked to hear of your bad experience at Kosk. When we were there in June we had a fabulous meal with great service. We will have to re-visit Kosk in a few weeks when we return.
Chillies was the best all round value for money restaurant in my opinion.

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 10:41:21 PM »
Not sure I'd agree that Fenner couldn't be classd as a restaurant. OK I know it's called Fenner Cafe ??? but the food is definitely restaurant standard. Until this year had only eaten there at lunchtime but gave it a try in the evening and was absolutely delighted. Definitely return in 3 weeks for both lunch and dinner :)

Offline JulesCheshire

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
August 6th - August 20th 2011

We also ate at Bade Beach after reading a review on EK. Excellent food and service, good value too.  I hope that the owner Ray does well and would certainly recommend. Rating *****

Fez - We've eaten here a few times over the past 3 years and have always had a warm welcome. The steaks are cooked to perfection.  Rating *****

Gironda - A wonderful dining experience.  Sole in champagne sauce was delicious as were the chocolate pots and thoroughly enjoyed the folk night when a diner took to the mic and entertained us all superbly.  Rating *****

Chapter One - Good meal, good wine, good value and staff very friendly.  Rating ****

Sofra - mixed mezze starter was enough for 4 people (said 2 on menu) and was delicious.  I had a chefs special kebab and it was very tasty.  As I  had no dessert (far too full!), I was given a pot of delicious home made apricot jam which made it home in tact.  Rating ****

Rosehip - I've made comments in another thread so I won't repeat my views.  Rating *

Bread and More - After an initial warm welcome, ignored after receiving menus in the bar area.  Tried to get someone's attention several times to place our order but to no avail so we left.  Cocktails were excellent though!   Rating **

Seaport - had a good lunch here which was excellent value for money.  Rating ***

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 12:17:25 PM »
for all the fine dining people out there. if you have not tried the restaurant at lycia hotel off the kalamar road then you have not lived!  the food and the service are second to none! the prices if anything are cheaper than the harbour. the setting is amazing.  i have a place here and am out for 8 weeks at a time and eat out most nights. the other places i would recommend are chapter one. and at the other end of the scale odak and bade beach as mentioned above.

bon appertiff :)

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 12:58:33 PM »
8 weeks! wow you lucky things!

Offline TC

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 01:24:47 PM »
Well we must be either very lucky or very good judges, having spent 11 days in Kalkan back in August, we ate out everynight and did not have a single bad experience. Gourmet and The Old Trading House were the best evenings and if I had to mention a least favourite it would be Coast. Not because there was anything wrong with the food, as such, just that it was a bit more expensive than many others of the same standard.
Can not wait to go back next year as there are so many great looking restaurants that we haven't tried yet. Wonder if the prices will increase much next year, it seemed fairly quiet this year so with not so many holidaymakers to go round, might have kept costs down a little.
Aaaaah, Happy Days!

Offline tillymint143

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 06:49:21 PM »
this thread has been really helpful. thanks to all!  we'll be there 2 weeks today... seeing as the general opinion seems to be that its quieter this year than previous years, which restaurants are likely to be the liveliest.. I mean other people actually eating there! There's nothing worse than sitting in an empty restaurant, even if the food is wonderful.

Offline merseydave

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 08:03:34 AM »
Wonderful food, and gazing into my BH's eyes, the place can be as empty as it likes Tilly!
 ;)
Kalkan..........just ONE of the places we'll have a villa when we win the Euromillions!
Not a full time resident, but getting there!!

Offline merseydave

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 03:04:09 PM »
By the way Jules, it was Peterwilkas recommendation of Bade that persuaded us to go there!  ;D Well done Peter  8)

Offline tillymint143

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 10:21:35 PM »
Wonderful food, and gazing into my BH's eyes, the place can be as empty as it likes Tilly!
 ;)

Merseydave.... aha.. a displaced scouser by the looks of it. Me and my mum would look a bit daft gazing into each other's eyes across the table now wouldn't we...  ;D

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 09:05:13 AM »
By the way Jules, it was Peterwilkas recommendation of Bade that persuaded us to go there!  ;D Well done Peter  8)

You're welcome!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
This year's must go to restaurants

Started by janeandady on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

22 Replies
Last post June 23, 2015, 02:35:39 PM
by Tatilde
xx
Restaurants , what would you recommend this year ?

Started by Lynne T on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

23 Replies
Last post June 22, 2014, 08:53:17 PM
by kevincat99
cheesy
Thought of the Day

Started by Chucky on The Everything Else Area!

26 Replies
Last post November 12, 2008, 05:18:39 PM
by yelkenite
xx
5 more sleeps! or so i thought!

Started by seasick on General Discussion

16 Replies
Last post October 02, 2010, 01:13:04 PM
by seasick

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal