Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Kalkan 2011  (Read 3843 times)

Offline moonlight

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Kalkan 2011
« on: August 27, 2011, 09:44:29 AM »
Hey all

Just got back from yet another fantastic time in Kalkan and yes a little bit burnt and still nursing a few hangovers but I look at the beauty of the place and it has an aura about it that draws you back year in year out.

I am lucky enough to have an apartment (situated in a prime location by the jandarma and overlooking the bay) and have also had the oppurtunity to work a season out in Kalkan as the DJ in the 'Moonlight Bar'.

My parents have fallen in love with it since the first day they set foot here and the place has become an integral part of all our lives.  We have so many good friends that we have made over the years there and thats what makes the place so special.

We enjoy fantastic boat trips with our close friends Recep and Deniz, who run the Moby Dick boats, and nothing is ever to much for them.  Fantastic company and great memories have been shared too many to remember.  Just being taken around the open sea, efes in one hand and fishing line in the other is a near perfect way to spend your day.

Arrive back in the harbour to be greeted at Kleos for yet more Efes before you take the long stroll up the windy streets back to the apartment and ready for your evening meal

Always have great relationships with most of the restaurants, owners and staff it is heaven - sometimes they know what you want to order before you get the menu its that personal!!  Absolutely love Kosk, Aubergine and Gironda - great vlue for money and the friends again we have there are irreplaceable.

Yes of course we have been disapointed over the years with a few restaurants mainly this year at the new 'Coast' restaurant on the harbour which ended up with us being shooed out of the restaurant by the arrogant american owner all because we complained about the food - you live and learn will never go there again and will tell all our friends how horrible he is - never met someone like that in Kalkan in 7 years he was that rude.

Anyway, rant over, the meals we have had are fantastic and the setting of mouse and snake island on the horizon in the moonlit sea is just well......breathtaking iI am sure most or all of you will agree!

After dinner of course follows drinks and I of course have a deep affection for the Moonlight bar, where I once worked.  The two brothers, Muhtin and Gurol have always been close to us from day one and its a great place to people watch and sit and sup until the early hours meeting folks from all walks of life.  Excellent!  We also love Mojito, Chocolate and Kleo.

Love venturing out in the day to Saklikent, Tlos, Fethiye Market and Kas - they are all sooo different from Kalkan but all very special in their own right and thats what makes the location of Kalkan sooo perfect.

The beach clubs are beautiful mainly Mahal, Indigo and Yali - just love lying by the sea reading my book and then plonking myself in the water every 5mins to stay cool - its perfect.  Also love going to Fener Cafe and sprawling myself over the Turkish beds and getting some grub and a tasty Dondurma!! Yum!

All in all I think that Kalkan is among the top places in the world. So unspoilt and so well honest in its uniqueness.  Love it to bits and am already thinking of September when I will return again!!

Seni Seviyorum Kalkan

Spencer

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8435.0

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: Kalkan 2011
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 03:46:51 PM »
What a lovely report Spencer and everything you said about the place and the people is what keeps those who are lucky enough to have discovered this special place coming back again and again!

Offline Tatilde

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 04:36:56 PM »
Sorry you had a bad experience at Coast. Can only say that our best meals during our recent visit to Kalkan were at Coast.

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 06:27:58 PM »
Who is the owner of Coast ?
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline Rachey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 10:40:29 AM »
Cosetta - the Coast brand used to be a partnership between Omer Calik (local lad from Patara made good) and Ilhan Yetka originally from istanbul.  After last season they decided to go their separate ways - hence no more Coast@Gironda and Ilhan is now back home in Istanbul - we miss him!  Omer is now in partnership with Billy and his wife Esra, and Omer also runs a hotel in Patara.  Billy isn't American, but spent many years working in the States - hence his flawless American accent.  ;)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 06:33:46 PM »
Great report, Spencer.
So sorry you didn't enjoy Coast. We had a fantastic meal there for our daughter's 18th and find Omer, Billy and Esra to be fantastic hosts. But then I wouldn't set foot in Aubergine again....good job we're all different eh?
Our eldest daughter was offered a job when we were there, earlier this month, but I understood UK citizens can't work in Turkey. You say you worked for a season in Moonlight so perhaps I'm wrong - can anyone shed light on that?
PS I don't want our daughter to take up the offer BTW :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 08:24:10 PM »
I'm pleased to say I set foot in both Aubergine and Coast in July and look forward to doing so again next month :)

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 10:24:14 PM »
Kalkan4eva - UK citizens can work in Turkey providing they have obtained a residents visa and work visa.I wouldnt recommend that your daughter considers working without these.Regular checks are carried out in Kalkan and it is no longer just the local authorities that do these but officials from Antalya and Ankara too.

Offline Kefgirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 05:05:31 PM »
Great to read your report Spencer  :)
It brought back wonderful memories of sitting outside Moonlight wih a cold drink and a bowl of nibbles, watching Kalkan Life passing by. I can feel the warmth and hear the Imam calling while enjoying the sounds and sights under that bougainvilia......... aahhhh....... :P
Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 03:45:40 PM »
What a lovely report Spencer, you've really described the Kalkan we love too, so well. There's definitely something about Kalkan that makes you want to go back for more.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Single and on holiday in Kalkan May 2011

Started by QueenBee on Introduce Yourself

2 Replies
Last post October 23, 2010, 08:32:31 PM
by Chucky
xx
Transfer share, Antalya - Kalkan 18th January 2011

Started by crystal on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post January 10, 2011, 09:47:16 AM
by crystal
xx
Have you booked for 2011

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on Flights and Travel

13 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 05:59:41 PM
by mee1
xx
2011 Car Hire

Started by pw on Flights and Travel

20 Replies
Last post March 09, 2011, 08:26:35 AM
by Johnjen

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal