Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Boxing day / new year in Kalkan  (Read 2779 times)

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Boxing day / new year in Kalkan
« on: January 11, 2012, 05:27:27 PM »
Hi,

Got back from Kalkan on Tuesday night and what a great time we both had, albeit, after a journey from hell going home, more on this later  :-[ :-[ :-[

Mary and I arrived in Kalkan early evening on Boxing day, we dumped our bags, locked up and went down to Kayas, a warm welcome from all the lads, as usual. After a few drinks we had a lovely fish dinner washed down with a bottle of vino, ahhhh thats better !

Next few day's the weather was lovely and from memory we justed read, sunbathed,watched tv , talked ( something we seem to do more in Kalkan, must be the chill factor that Kalkan gives us ) and eat, eat, eat ! for the next two days, oh and we had a couple of drinks ;-))   Its just so relaxing doing nothing for a couple of days, looking at the wonderful views with the winter Kalkan sunshine flowing through the "open doors" and dancing on Kalamar Bay.....bliss....... but I know in the back of my mind we have so many jobs / things to do to get the place ready for next season, also that its going to cost an arm and a leg, but we are in Kalkan so could be worse  8) 8) 8)

On the flight over I sat next to another couple, no big deal, until I asked the lad next to me where they were going, kalkan came the answer pointing to the photo on my ipad. We got talking and I thought what a nice couple.

We went to the Parc quiz on the Tuesday, played with Terry and Lesley, not fair on them really as me and Mary are not the best quiz players, anyway we did ok and had a great night, as we always do.

Spent a few days getting jobs done or organised to be done, replacing damaged stuff etc, funny Mary cant get me in a shop in London, I love shopping in Kalkan, I realise that it can be expensive for some things but its just so much more relaxed than in the UK.

We had a table for 4 booked at Aubergine for new years eve, me, Mary, Terry and Lesley, Terry had booked it and got the best table in the house, loads of room (some were very very tight) near the door to the outside and near the wc, perfect, well done Tel.

The (3 course) meal was lovely, everyone said the same. We ( me and Mary) were the first to arrive @ 19 00, very keen indeed !

We ate, we drunk and we drunk and we.......from 7'0 clock until 03 00 in the morning when we fell into a taxi. What a fantastic time we had, belly dancer, fireworks, dancing ( in the rain ) music, and fantastic company, both English and Turkish. I was outside when I spotted the nice couple I spoke about on plane, Chris and Jan walking towards me I told them to join us which they did, what a great night we all had, thanks to you all for a fantastic time/night. Got some great photos of the night... you had to see the fireworks been let off in the street no sign of H&S......thank god  :)

I woke up at 9 on new years day with a thumping head, must of been caused falling into that taxi a few hours before ! ! !    I turned around in bed and was meet with that view of Snake & Mouse islands bathed in brilliant sunshing...my head seemed to clear in a flash

New years day is now "Looney Dook Day" in Kalkan thanks mostly to Robert who does a fantastic job raising money for local kids, well done to you Robert. I think 1,500 tl was raised, well done to all that attended.

There was approx 40ish people swimming, English and Turkish, some, well most, in fancy dress, a right laugh and a great way of clearing that new years eve head !

After the swim ( about 12:45) we got great seats in Kleo's, 6 of us all sat in the new years day sunshine, drinking (lots of) ice cold Efes, can think of worse things to do on nyd  8)            We sat there until the sunset over Kalamar Bay, all a bit sunburnt 8). Chris organised from the restuarant next door lashings of chips and bread, they did not last long....the days you could buy food from the place next door and eat it in another have long gone in the UK, hope Kalkan does not change like that  :'(                                   

We left Kleo's and (some of us anyway) walked up to Kayas....... to do the timewarp...I did not have a clue what was going on, honest .  Terry filmed this dance on his iphone and has posted it on youtube...i think you can find it if you search     kayas timewarp kalkan.
The six of us had a lovely meal in Kayas watching some great tricks, got to bed at 11, great time had by all  ;) :) ;)

Spent the next few days getting stuff done at the villa, cleaning, gardening getting things fixed, buying stuff for the kitchen etc and a few well deserved nights in with some good home cooking and some English TV. Slingbox works great.

Tuesday night we went out with John & Amanda and Bev & Pete to Cafe Ev. Got to say we were very impressed with everything, service, food and value, we had a great night, was good to get to know more nice people, thanks to all. We thought it was that good we went back with Chris & Jan, another great night, thanks.

We ate out for lunch a couple of times at Alibaba's and Fener's  bothfirst class.  We also walked 'a lot', 50 + and all that  ???

We (I) had a FANTASTIC afternoon watching United beat siddy in Parc, good to see Ian and others faces we know...the place was full of United fans...no change there then ...... could of been anywhere in the world  >:D >:D >:D

On the whole the weather was fantastic, we sunbathed on at least 5 days, the temp in the sun hit 84 on one day in the high 70's on the other days, we had a few days and nights with rain and the odd grayish day, but never what you would call cold.

We had a brill time as we always do, its a great time of the year to visit, you get so much more time to talk to the expats , locals, other owners and visitors both English and Turkish.

Until March.....  Peter & Mary.

Journey from hell to follow... :'(

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8924.0
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: Boxing day / new year in Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 06:13:13 PM »
Great report..nice to hear what it's like that time of year...... ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 06:56:34 PM »
That is indeed good to hear you had such a great time in Kalkan over New Year.    The weather on the night itself looked fairly bad and I was hoping people's spirits were not too diminished by it.    Certainly doesn't sound as if they were.    Maybe one of these days I will be celebrating New Year in Kalkan.   

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 10:53:23 AM »
Sounds like you had a great time, how nice to spend New Year in Kalkan, maybe one day....looking forward to the next installment, hope you arrived home safe and sound.

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 06:07:36 PM »
Great holiday report onelove, sounds like you had a fantastic time!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Second year in Kalkan

Started by annawiththebanner on Holiday Reports and Reviews

6 Replies
Last post July 25, 2008, 01:05:58 PM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
Kalkan - New Year

Started by jedge on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post September 14, 2008, 10:20:15 AM
by Rosie
xx
New Year in Kalkan

Started by pattaya on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post September 17, 2011, 12:06:11 PM
by samson
xx
NEW YEAR IN KALKAN

Started by rushie on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 02:07:45 PM
by Reygirl

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal