Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Kalkan - New Year  (Read 2703 times)

Offline jedge

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Kalkan - New Year
« on: September 11, 2008, 06:31:46 PM »
Contemplating booking for Kalkan for a week over New Year with my sister and 16 yr old daughter. 

Have read the useful threads on the weather expected at that time of year, I''m sure anything will beat this year''s Summer in England.   Before I take the plunge and book the flights from Manchester, would be grateful to know if there is any public transport available.  I would like to see Fethiye and perhaps a walk along Patara beach, but don''t have the confidence to drive in Turkey.  Also concerned that my daughter may be bored if there aren''t many other teenagers around.

Last, but certainly not least, do you know of (m)any bars expecting to open at that time of year?

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=2377.0

Offline kalcamp

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
Re: Kalkan - New Year
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 07:03:16 PM »
 Re: What is Kalkan like in November?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 09:23:24 AM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi kalkanbelle, 95% of the restaurants and bars will be closed.
Therearen''''t many people around out of season, even most of the Turks leave
 It will have rained heavily by November and cool to cold at night, you will need some heating
 Too cold for the pool,
 And yes kalkan becomes one big building site, with huge lorries and digging machines everywhere piling into the rock, and pouring cement all over the place which is a bit noisy.
 No they don''''t always stop at night, which again can be a bit noisy
 Not a great deal to do unless you are keen on walking, or looking at damage caused by storms.
You''''ll need a sturdy pair of shoes as those roads that don''''t get washed away tend to be full of mud and storm debris.
 The best thing about kalkan in winter is the tremendous storms and heavy rain

This was copied from another post about kalkan in november, by new year it''s colder wetter and your daughter will be going mad

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 09:22:40 PM »
Further down this section is another thread about Christmas and New Year in Kalkan and there are several other threads on the forum about staying in Kalkan out of season. I think that by reading these you will get a wider view and opinion of what Kalkan is like out of season. Yes, the weather is unpredictable, yes, there will probably be lots of construction going on but every year more places are staying open and more people are staying and visiting Kalkan and the area.
Joan

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 02:57:03 PM »
FANTASTIC TIME LAST YEAR. Already booked Aubergine for New Year''s Eve. Weather was warm but cold at night. The place has a different character. We visited the villages and went up as far as Gumba. Then down to Kas and watched the Pelicans in the harbour. The Kaya, Akin and quite a few others were open. You won''t starve. We might even buy food and barbecue.
Take the next step and book the flight.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 03:09:05 PM »
i would deffo go and book your flights (assuming you can get any at a half reasonable price now after the XL demise!) - you will see kalkan from a totally different perspective and it is NOT all doom and gloom as portrayed by the poster above.  You get out of it what you put in and personally I love the winter in Kalkan and can''t wait to actually share in the New Year celebrations.  However, what I WOULD suggest is that your daughter takes a friend with her - I know my daughter would be fine going - as long as she had a mate to keep her company! 

Enjoy!  :)
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline jedge

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 04:12:46 PM »
Thanks very much for your responses.  I must admit, I was ready for pressing the button to book until I saw the message about how miserable the place sounds.  Have since re-checked the flights, they''ve only increased by £30 so far, but I''m sure they''ll be going up by the day.

Still interested to find out about the public transport if anybody has any info.

Thanks

Julie

Offline mel

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 04:48:45 PM »
No problem with public transport to Kas or Fethiye in the winter but not to Patara Beach, you would have to get off bus at the junction with the main Fethiye road and walk 6km or you could take a taxi.

Offline Rosie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 10:20:15 AM »
I would definitely give Kalkan a try for the new year. I''ve done it and really enjoye it there at that time of year. The harbour restaurants are open with fires burning in makeshift furnaces to keep the guests warm, the lights are all twinkling and the fireworks are set off in the harbour. Everyone in good spirits, as usual, but it feels like a secret you''ve stumbled across where you''re made to feel very welcome. A very special time!
You shouldn''t worry about driving out there, particularly at that time of year as there will be less road traffic due to the summer visitors not being there. But the road trip to Fethiye is very easy, nice wide roads, clearly marked and I''ve found the local drivers to be fine. I think we have worse in the UK, especially in the cities! Give it a go, with 3 of you in the car I''m sure  you will be fine.

If you decide you really don''t want to hire a car, then as previously said there are loads of buses to Fethiye and to Kas. To get to Patara you might like to consider hiring a taxi to drop you off, do your walk and come and collect you from your end point. In fact you could do this for other outings. Agree your price before you go. I''m sure prices will not be anywhere near as much as they are in the summer as there is less competition from drivers. If you would like the name and telephone no of a reliable and trustworthy registered taxi driver then please pm me and I will provide you with the information on how to contact him. I use him myself when I am there.

Your daughter might be a little bored if you are not able to get out and about during the day, however, I''m sure she will be fine at night if you decide to go out to eat, particularly Kaya, where they are open all year and there are quite a few Brits to chat to as well as ''the boys'' to keep you all entertained.

Yes the weather isn''t always great. But at least it''s warmer than UK. Yes there is rain, but not every day. The first response to your posting I think is misleading in that respect. When the sunn comes out and it did quite frequently when I was there last christmas and new year, it was really quite warm, we were wearing T shirts.

Don''t be put off - go for it!
Rosie

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
New Year in Kalkan

Started by Roxie on Holiday Reports and Reviews

17 Replies
Last post January 24, 2008, 02:50:52 PM
by chris
xx
New Year in Kalkan

Started by FrancisDonald on Holiday Reports and Reviews

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 04:15:32 PM
by Roxie
xx
Kalkan for New Year!

Started by headroom on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post December 28, 2009, 08:20:35 AM
by DRBD
xx
Second year in Kalkan

Started by annawiththebanner on Holiday Reports and Reviews

6 Replies
Last post July 25, 2008, 01:05:58 PM
by Enjoy Kalkan

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Flower pot

Views: 2343
By: Lynne T
Kalkan beach 1987