Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: sim card  (Read 3981 times)

Offline Baggy

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
sim card
« on: August 15, 2011, 02:12:45 PM »
having run up a humungous phone bill earlier this year I want to get a Turkish sim card for my phone - I hear that's perfectly legal but I'm not sure how to do it. I'm guessing lots of you have them . . . where do I go and what's the best one to ask for please? Thanks

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8341.0

Offline yorkielovit

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
Re: sim card
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 03:18:35 PM »
yes you can legally get them, CD shop beging of road into town, telephone shop, Kalamar Road, opp Korner restaurant to name a couple. However UK phones are meant to be registered (think Fetyhe is closest) or they tend to bar your phone while there. Previously have managed to get 2 weeks before a bar but some have reported only a week so it seems to be pot luck. Other option is to buy a cheap Mobile + Sim with about 100 kontors already loaded for about £40 (cd shop is probably best place). If you are back and forth maybe the best bet but you will need to check how long sim stays active without use. Another option is to get a 'roaming' card which is then usable in other countries. I have a sim4travel but I believe they are no longer selling them but I can still pre-pay. For the first time this year Vodaphone passport have included Turkey. You get a free PAYG sim card from them, sign up to passport and your friends are still calling a UK number. I believe there is no charge to receive calls and you can credit via internet or the phone. I used this when I went to Croatia. The complete details are on their website in case I have relayed it incorrectly. Also check out moneysavingexpert.com for details of all the pre paid roaming cards. Like the local sim at least you know what you have spent and no nasty suprises when you return.

Hope that helps
Michelle

Offline babyboomer

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 04:32:48 PM »
Hi Baggy.

when i was last in kalkan i took an old english mobile with me in the hope of getting a sim card for it. this was not possible and i was told about getting blocked after maybe one or two weeks.I managed to sort it out by buying a cheap new phone in kalkan on pay as you go. The sim card is only active for 6months though. I will take my turkish phone on each kalkan visit and just update my sim card. not sure if this means a different phone number each time? i hope not. having a  local phone was so much cheaper (a) to phone locally for taxis and (b) to receive incoming calls from england didnt cost my phone at all, just the caller. hope this helps.

have a great holiday. we will be back in september and am already on count down. 

Offline spottydog

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 11:20:59 PM »
Why not use the PTT for calls home etc     Its so much cheaper !!!  ;D

Offline yorkielovit

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 11:49:36 PM »
true but some of us just like the convenience of the mobile    :D

Offline spottydog

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 07:55:34 AM »
 True !!  It is a pain when you have to move away from the pool and the cold Efes!!!   >:D

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 08:05:18 AM »
I use an Avea PAYG sim. Not quite as good overall coverage as Turkcell but better value. And, if you are only in and around Kalkan it's perfect.
Usually we visit 2 times a year, May/June and Sept/Oct. Avea say that their credit is only valid for 3 months before you need to re-load. However, when I arrive back in May after 6 months away and I add credit to the phone, whatever credit I had over when I left in October, is still there. I also get quite a few bonus credits with Avea but I have never been able to figure out why.
My neighbour has a Turkcell PAYG sim card and has to get someone to top up for him or they will snatch back any credit and close his account after 3 months.
I would add that I use an Avea handset which I bought in Fethiye. I was told in the shop that after 2 or 3 weeks an English handset will not work with a Turkish sim card. That said, I used an old English handset for about the past 5 or 6 years (Started using it before the limitation on foreign phones was put in place.) until it refused to charge up last year.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 09:19:51 AM by BubblesG »
There - over there, there are.            To - Going to
Their - belongs to them.                     Too - In addition, Also
They're - Short for they are.

Pedant! me?

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 08:39:32 AM »
When I go on holiday I don't take my phone. I love being out of contact for a couple of weeks. If anyone needed me really badly they have the address of where I am staying (unless I'm having a wandering holiday).

I don't check my emails or buy a paper or watch the TV. It's sheer bliss & very relaxing! Try it sometime!

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 09:30:50 AM »
If you have a smartphone why not try Skype, its less hassle and cheaper than registering a Turkish Sim card.

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 10:03:14 AM »
If you have a smartphone why not try Skype, its less hassle and cheaper than registering a Turkish Sim card.

Skype is good, we used it this year, but as far as I know you have to be in a wi-fi area don't you?
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 10:31:46 AM »
Which begs the question:

Is there any free WiFi in Kalkan?

If not, are the budding entrepreneurs missing something?

Purely selfish question, I don't mind buying an Efes or something to be able to check my emails, etc.
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Cuddles

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 11:02:46 AM »

Skype is good, we used it this year, but as far as I know you have to be in a wi-fi area don't you?

Unless you have 3G. There is a skype app for iphones, iPads and Android phones, (Not too sure about Blackberry.) which works on WiFi and 3G

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 11:17:13 AM »
Skype works great on my ipad when I'm in Turkey.     hope this helps  8)
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 11:23:10 AM »
You need to be careful about using 3G abroad (unless you know you have an all inclusive package that covers Turkey) as this can really rack up a big bill.

I always turn off 3g and use WiFi; most villas and bars now have it so this should not be too much of a hardship. After a few days I have all of our favorite bars and restaurants WIFi codes in my phone so its no trouble at all.  Total cost for lots of calls over 2 weeks in July this year was under £3.

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 01:14:04 PM »
Which begs the question:

Is there any free WiFi in Kalkan?

If not, are the budding entrepreneurs missing something?

Purely selfish question, I don't mind buying an Efes or something to be able to check my emails, etc.

Absolutely loads of places with free wi fi, infact struggling to think of a restaurant that doesn't have it :)

Offline clara 50

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 01:51:45 PM »
Sally you have definitely the right idea, if you're on holiday you should be able to just chill out and leave all problems behind you even if it's only for two weeks. I'm expected to ring home regularly by my mother who has no concept of how much we spend on calls it's exorbitant, hopefully I'll be a little more strong willed this time and cut it right back and just ring when we get there to say we've arrived safely, that will certainly made my OH happy  ;D   

Offline littlelin

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 04:44:10 PM »
I'm with Sally on that although we do take our phones but they are only there in case of emergency, having a very elderly parent, you do worry. Otherwise we totally chill for the two weeks - no tv, no newspapers.
Apartment owner nr. Kalamar.

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 05:10:33 PM »
Clara - just tell your mother that no news is good news. I used to suffer with my MIL always wanting calls from holidays -  pre mobiles I told her that it was too expensive & when I had a mobile I told her it wouldn't work in Turkey!  Tell your ma you've cut back to a pay as you go that won't work there!!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
ID Card

Started by shazfran on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post August 26, 2013, 10:49:03 AM
by Cajaran
xx
Micro SIM card available?

Started by Cosetta on The Everything Else Area!

3 Replies
Last post November 16, 2013, 08:28:29 PM
by Cuddles
xx
Can anyone take a card to Kalkan for me?

Started by Em1 on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post July 12, 2011, 05:44:25 PM
by Em1
xx
Wild card.......

Started by Babs on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

18 Replies
Last post October 05, 2014, 09:33:07 PM
by Babs

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

London skyline

Views: 2304
By: headroom
Kalkan Cat