Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Boat Trip for 'non-sailors' -Advice please  (Read 2618 times)

Offline Del119

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Boat Trip for 'non-sailors' -Advice please
« on: June 01, 2011, 09:45:05 PM »

Hi, We're out in a few weeks, and this will be our 5th year, so it's fair to say we really like it.

Every year Mrs D sees all the boats lined up in the harbour and says how much she'd love to go on one, although I have to say I'm less enthusiastic by a long way. To set the scene, I've been on boats in other countries where it all looks dead calm until you get out a couple of miles from the shore and then the swell picks up and I'm starting to make Kermit the frog look pale, which along with the fact I'm not a swimmer, makes me feel very uneasy.

I'd love to surprise her this year by saying we'll do it, but my question is what's it really like - is it dead flat calm most of the time? Are there some trips that are better than others for a 'light-weight' like myself?..... I guess something for a couple of hours might be better than an all day trip if that's possible.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Del

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=7881.0

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
Re: Boat Trip for 'non-sailors' -Advice please
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 09:57:32 PM »
Im the same I feel sick just watching them bob up and down.....but we have always hired the larger Romantik boat and I take sea sick tablets....one an hour before and one just before setting off...works a treat I was able to eat and drink and have a fantastic day out on the Med  :) :) :) :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 10:24:26 PM »
apparently if you sit at the back (whatever the technical term is!) you are less likely to feel ill.....worked for my daughter

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 10:55:25 PM »
Misty's right, the bigger the boat the better. We do at least one boat trip every year - usually on the smaller boats and once or twice the wind has picked up as we've headed toward Mouse Island but not so bad that its made anyone feel queasy. I'd try to avoid a particular heavy night the evening before....a hangover and a boat trip don't mix well, IMO :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Roxie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 11:17:26 PM »
Hi,
What about the big boat Seabella. We go with Ali on Anil and have had great days even with hangovers!!
Rx

Offline chrissy1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 36
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 10:09:31 AM »
Hi we went on Seabella last year and I guess cos it's so big it was fine we had a great day, hoping to try one of the smaller ones this year but i'm like you and wondering if the big one is better. We took a beach club boat across and the journey back was terrifying as the sea was a bit rough. The food and staff were very good and there was lots of space with big comfy bean bags to chill out on Seabella, I think its a bit cheaper too so maybe for the 1st time try that, happy sailing anyway.

Offline Em1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 05:05:27 PM »
Hi
I get seasick easily, but can manage the boat trips. Others have given good advice - sea sickness tablets, dont drink too much before or during the trip, and choose a big boat!
Enjoy
Em
Em

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 05:16:43 PM »
Hi, I am totally a non-sailor, turn green if waves appear on TV.    However I have had several trips to the Sunken City, castle etc and thoroughly enjoyed it.    The first part of the journey is by bus to beyond Kas.    It has never been rough, once when a wind was getting up a little they returned slightly early.   

One year we treated ourselves to a private boat trip from the harbour.    I reckoned that if it did get rough we could just return home.    It was a boat to hold 12 people.  Our captain (Captain Lucky) said it was a little choppy further out (we had told him the non-sailor problem in advance) and so he just kept within the bay area and we had all the pleasure of relaxing on a boat without feeling ill.    Possible to say you want to stay in calmer waters if you do it privately.    Had lovely food on boat.

Having just seen a post from Em1 I should confess that I did drink wine happily on the boats, didn't plan to swim and it helped me relax.

But, but, but - I took Stugeron two hours in advance and tossed down an extra tablet on the way.    Stugeron is the best motion sickness tablet I have yet tried.   

If you do try a boat trip it would be good to know how you got on.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 05:51:36 PM »
Tortoise lady.....If you were meant for water you would have been a Turtle :angel: :-*
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 06:10:08 PM »
apparently if you sit at the back (whatever the technical term is!) you are less likely to feel ill.....worked for my daughter

Nooo sit in the middle of the boat thats where its supposed to be the best.... think pivot.......  :D :D :D

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 06:13:56 PM »
Blue lizard, I totally agree.    I wasn't really meant for water.    Some countries sadly use the word turtle (or whatever their own word for turtle is) for turtles and tortoises.    I have spent many years explaining how confusing this is and the danger of people thinking it is OK for tortoises to go in the water.  No, we don't have the right kind of feet to swim.    Plus we get very sea-sick if there are waves when we are on boats.     

By the way I have just seen on the internet a truly beautiful blue lizard.    Wonderful bright blue.     

Misty, yes I also try to sit near the back of the boat.     It seems calmer there.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 06:15:09 PM »

Middle not back.... :o :o :o

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
1 day boat trip for 8 - advice

Started by bobbieblue on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

2 Replies
Last post July 10, 2008, 03:57:18 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Boat trip - advice please.

Started by Kimmyg on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

14 Replies
Last post May 18, 2015, 10:29:01 PM
by cptergun
xx
Restaurant and boat trip reviews from our recent trip....

Started by elainecris on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post September 11, 2011, 07:37:19 PM
by Skunk
xx
boat trip ?

Started by kazaroni64 on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 08:18:34 AM
by kazaroni64

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Oli & Beth @ Fenner

Views: 77
By: antler
Day Trip to Meis