Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Boat trip - advice please.  (Read 7436 times)

Offline Kimmyg

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Boat trip - advice please.
« on: May 15, 2015, 06:22:27 PM »
Hi, we're coming out to Kalkan in July and can't wait. One thing we've never done before is a boat trip, primary because Mr G isn't very keen on boats  and to be honest neither of us are particularly good swimmers,  but it looks so inviting when we see the boats coming to and from the harbour.We'd love to give it a go and wondered if anyone could recommend any particular boats or trips to go on...we've seen that a lot are full days out with stop offs to swim, but are there any that do just a trip round for a couple of hours without it being a full day with all the swimming? Many thanks.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12743.0

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Re: Boat trip - advice please.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 09:29:31 PM »
Not entirely sure but think they are all day trips....although there are moonlight cruises. I wouldn't worry too much about the swimming, the boats always have "noodles" on board and its lovely just to chill on the boat and the food is,great and just keeps coming!

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 10:17:54 PM »
Janet can't swim & hates boats because she is scared of the sea but loves these day trips, she just so sits & sunbathes on board the boats. The only time she gets anxious is when I disappear from view. The bay is quite sheltered & calm, we've never had a rough trip.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 07:03:41 AM »
If you speak to the boat owners they can arrange a short trip for you especially if they are not booked up. There are quite a few people like yourselves who just want a short trip.  Even on a day trip there is no need to go in the water if that is what you prefer but the day out is great, food great, you never know you could be tempted to get your toes wet ;)
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 12:28:38 PM »
Neither of us swim, I can, but do not enjoy the experience!

We just chill out and relax, chat and consume far too much food and drink (Hang on this is Kalkan - so that's normal!).

If people wish to leave a serviceable ship that's not taking on water, and leap into something where you have no idea what's beneath the surface, that's up to them.  I'm happy upstairs in the sun with a beer (assuming Blue Lizard has left any).

I'm sure any of the boats are fine, you just need to decide how big, and how many people you want to be with.
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 01:04:27 PM »
Ha!!  Boat beer is safely out of my range! mrs L gets sea sick just sitting on one!!!! At least on dry land you can put me in a taxi.....at sea you would have to tow me in a doughnut ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 01:26:01 PM »
The popular ones get booked up early and as July is peak weeks, I'd pop down to the harbour on your first/second day to have a chat with the owners and see what you can arrange. I feel really sorry for people who get sea sick as it really is one of the nicest ways to spend the day in Kalkan - whether you go in the water or not.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 05:51:50 PM »
As suggested earlier, most of the daytime boat trips are full-day affairs but we can heartily recommend one of the sunset trips if you like it to be a bit shorter.

In July it's fabulous...you start off around tea time so it is still warm enough and bright enough for swimmers, but no pressure...then it's time to watch the sun go down before a great meal and a couple of hours lying on the deck watching the stars and listening to music. Bliss.

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 07:02:41 PM »
Boat trips really are the highlight of our holiday, absolutely fabulous day out! As has already been said on here, providing you don't suffer with seasickness, you don't have to swim if you don't want to, but personally we can't wait for the first stop so that we can launch ourselves in the sea to cool off, usually with a woggle or two in tow! This year, we have booked a Kekova boat trip on our second day, cannot wait! We've never had a bad trip, and have been on quite a lot, all different ones, so it's really a case of wandering along the harbour and taking your pick, but as already mentioned, don't leave it too late, book up at the start of your holiday or on line before you go, that's what we tend to do.  Whichever one you opt for, you won't be disappointed!  :D

J

Offline Kimmyg

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 08:21:43 PM »
Thanks everyone for such great responses and for settling my mind about the fact that you don't have to do the swimming...I was just a bit concerned that we'd look like the odd one out! . It certainly sounds like it's something we should try and do I think Im going to need to have a chat with Mr G.... I notice there's a few mentions of seasickness, so I guess it must get a bit choppy once you're outside of the main bay? . I think I might try and talk Mr
G into having a go and getting a anti seasick pill inside him before we go. Thanks again.

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 07:37:13 AM »
The boat trips always look so lovely however I can not participate due to extreme sickness. When in Kalkan my husband has to go on them alone. I am so bad that being on dry land and watching the boats bob up and down makes me queasy. As a child I was sick on swings so really not a lot of hope! I am pretty sure they can give you tablets on board if you are a sufferer. It is nearly always calm when the boats leave in the morning but often an afternoon breeze can make the water choppy, but the boats captains are very good at keeping close to shore to minimise any adverse movements. If you enjoy boats it must be a lovely way to pass a very lazy day at sea.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 07:49:26 AM »
Good tip for seasickness....... drink ginger ale or chew a piece of ginger, it settles your stomach.

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 08:35:23 AM »
When we were last there, in 2013, one of our party was feeling really poorly on Yilziz II and Zeynap quickly got a pill down her; it helped enormously and she was definitely a lighter shade of green by lunchtime. Now she takes the prescription tablets a couple of hours before and is fine.

I love the ginger tip - must pass that around, too!

Offline kizzy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 02:22:22 PM »
Hi we went on the Sea Bella last year - not because it looked any better than any of the other boats just because it was the bigger of the boats and I am not to great with water.  I did experience sea sickness but the Captain was absolutely brilliant.  He gave me a tablet and some water, made sure I laid down for a bit and within a very short time I was up and loving the whole experience. So much so that I had two helpings at lunchtime! The food was exceptional  ;D I personally did not get in the water but the OH and two girls did and they loved it.  I was quite happy sitting with my drink on deck watching all that was going on and soaking up the sun.  A boat trip is definitely worth going on and we will be booking to go on again when we arrive at the beginning of July  :) Can't wait!

Offline cptergun

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
    • boattripturkey.com
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 10:29:01 PM »
Hi,

On our boat we have sickness pills and seabands which definetly stops sea sickness.

We can customize any length of trips depending on you requests.

I would certainly recommend you to visit sunken city of Kekova. We have a free shuttle service for EK member from Kalkan to Kas .

We look forward to seeing you on our boat .

Best Regards
Cpt. Ergun
Kas, Kalkan and Kekova’s premier daily boat trip & gulet charter operator in Turkey.
         www.boattripturkey.com

No1 Things to do In Kas on Tripadvisor

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Gironda's

Views: 2688
By: misty
Patara Sunset