Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Please help - thinking of cancelling our holiday due to dog problem  (Read 15800 times)

Offline popps

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
yep, OOOOSSSHHHTTTT works on dogs,dont know why or what it means but dont half shift,I was told this years ago,I have even used it when dogs have been fighting and have stopped,so give it try,but you have to shout it loud so you might fell a bit of a idiot   ;D
I now have a vision of loads of brits walking around Kalkan shouting OOOOOOSSSSSHHHHTTTTT at every dog they see,should make great viewing from the moonlight bar  ;D   >:D

Tried it on the dog back home and it has no effect, although the house rabbit will shoot off back outside without missing a skip. Interesting, a multilingual rabbit ...

I'm told the closest English translation to "ooost" is "bugger off".

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
I saw a lady fall off the chairs on the slope outside The Moonlight Bar....it sounded like she said oooosssshhhhttt as she bounced down the hill :angel: 
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Potter

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
I saw a lady fall off the chairs on the slope outside The Moonlight Bar....it sounded like she said oooosssshhhhttt as she bounced down the hill :angel:
V good Mr Lizard  ;D ;D
I'll get me coat!! ;-).....Bang on!

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
Hmmmmmmm that was probably me and I most definitely wasn't shouting ooosssssssshhhhhhhtttttttt :o

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post

The dogs do not frighten me when I have my OH with me….one look from her and they are off..I know when she is on her way home because my two Rottweiler’s are cowering in the corner....the mice are also flinging themselves in the traps as well  :D :D :D :D :D

Offline AllanChris

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
My wife got thrown out of the SS for cruelty!   Gulp, oh no, she'll read this.  :'(   I'm just going outside, I may be sometime!   8)
Keep On Rockin' In The Free World!

Offline Cheesecake

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
It's not that you just say ;OOOOOSSSSSSHHHHHTTTTT' but more how you say, if you say it with great confidence and don't show any fear, like so many people who aren't afraid of dogs on here, then you are not going to have a problem and then of course most of them are quite friendly, especially when they're not in packs.

Offline Wally

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
 ;) Can I suggest a solution to anyone having trouble with dogs not being friendly? When I was little my mother always had great ideas, one was to put a picture of my dad over the fire to keep us away from danger but the best was to put a pork chop around my neck for the dog to play with me!  :) Why not try it when walking through Kalkan :) :) :) ;) ;)

Offline Sean

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
Hello all, I have just returned from a 1 week holiday in KalKan. Probably the best holiday I have had in a long time. For anybody that is anxious about the stray animal population, don't worry. There are some strays present on the streets but they never troubled myself, wife or 4 year old son. In fact my son often approached the dogs, and cats, to stroke them, most are very friendly. While I was in Kalkan I visited the local vet (I am a vet myself, so had a professional interest). This guy works alone, mainly neutering stray animals to give population control. The neutering is mainly subsidised by KAPSA, a local animal charity who appear to work very hard at fund raising for the stray population of dogs and cats. If you have concerns about the numbers of stray animals on the streets, make a donation to this charity or call in on the vet to make a donation. I am sure it will be greatfully received and will help towards reducing the stray population in future. I can understand why some holiday makers would have concerns but I would certainly go to Kalkan again and would not be put off by the strays. I am certain that the problem would be much worse if it wasn't for the efforts of KAPSA and the local vet.

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
Thanks Sean, it is very useful to hear a professional opinion.

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
Thanks so much Sean for sharing your experience :) The cats and dogs over the years have become an integral part of our Kalkan experience and it's great to see the same ones year after year looking happy, healthy and contented. Glad you enjoyed Kalkan!

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
Just to echo the last 2 posts Sean, thanks for your post. It is good to hear another vets opinion, i do donate monthly to kapsa as i think they do a good job for the street animals and for me it's part of Kalkan seeing the animals, glad you enjoyed your holiday, not many more sleeps left now till we'll be back there!!
Nicky

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
Re: Please help - thinking of cancelling our holiday due to dog problem
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2011, 05:42:10 PM »
Is Sean a pseudonym for the local vet in Kalkan  ;)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 07:28:49 AM by chickengeorge »

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Hi,    I, for one, am terrified of bloody DOGS  :'(, and have posted my rants about this subject many times in the past. Just before we came out to Kalkan (last Friday) I was reading on EK all the NEW postings on this subject and how much worse it had become of late. With this in mind I was not loooking forward to walking anywhere. We love walking into town from our place in Kalamar Bay, so we said, sod it, lets see how bad it is for ourselves, and set off to walk into town on our first evening.....we have now walked into town 5 times ( taxi home  ;), and yes there are a few dogs, but nothing to write home about, certainly no wild snarling packs of dogs, in my veiw its better now than ever.........  ???

I can only say what I see  :o

Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline Tinkabell

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
I agree Thor !! Sadly sometimes bored people do put up antagonistic comments on this forum. Kalkan is a really beautiful place. I have travelled extensively and there is nowhere I like better !! Re street dogs yes there are some NO they are NOT aggressive by Cafe Vita infact  a couple of them are so geriatric that I don't think they can barely move now apart from wagging their tails. Why some people have to write such negative comments I don't know. Kalkan has beautiful scenery, some very good restaurants and is an amazing place to chill !! No before anyone starts it is not perfect but I can tell you it is an awful lot better than 98% of tourist destinations offered in a lot of holiday brochures.

Offline Princess369

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
Tuppy
I have just come back from kalkan and loved it so much i'm going back in july.
It is the most beatiful place you have ever seen. Myself and my friend both of us are female felt like the dogs were protecting us more than anything....they followed us around a bit but not in a menacing way....I did not once feel intimidated by them and they did not really come into your personal space they were just there. One of them sat under our table while we were having a drink by the harbour but it didn't bother us and stayed there when we left. And we were never kept awake by any barking.
It would be lie to say there are no dogs there, there are but they don't really bother you. Don't miss out on such a beautiful place.

Offline Potter

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
Well Tuppy, how did you go on during your 1st visit to Kalkan? I hope you had an excellent time.  ;)

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
Tuppy wrote a report on 24th June - We nearly cancelled our holiday but........
I am so glad that Tuppy wasnt put off by some of the comments on EK and had a fantastic time.

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
I went OOOSSSHHHTT!!!! myself when i slipped on the cobbles in front of the Moonlight bar last week!! The funny thing is at the time there was 2 workmen with a bucket of white paint painting a big white arrow in the road and when i was sprawled out on the cobbles i just missed the white arrow and bucket of paint!!!

Offline Potter

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
Tuppy wrote a report on 24th June - We nearly cancelled our holiday but........
I am so glad that Tuppy wasnt put off by some of the comments on EK and had a fantastic time.

Thanks Amber, I cannot find the post from 24th, where is it located please?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

recycled
thinking about Kalkan...

Started by missymoo on General Discussion

12 Replies
Last post October 21, 2009, 09:49:46 PM
by missymoo
xx
Thinking of Kalamar Bay

Started by magic3 on Accommodation and Hotels

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2017, 06:27:25 PM
by Begonvil
xx
Thinking of buying a villa

Started by mojo on Buying A Property & Real Estate

5 Replies
Last post March 14, 2008, 05:07:13 PM
by Kalkan regular
xx
Thinking of coming to Kalkan for the first time!!

Started by tessag41 on Accommodation and Hotels

18 Replies
Last post June 04, 2013, 09:25:49 AM
by michelle from newcastle

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal