Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: mosquitoes . . .  (Read 14451 times)

Offline Baggy

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
mosquitoes . . .
« on: May 12, 2011, 12:44:09 AM »
Getting eaten alive by mozzies and the like. Not this year!

http://www.enjoykalkan.com/?s=mosquitoes

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=7732.0

Offline Sulwath

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Re: mosquitoes . . .
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 06:24:34 AM »
Are there many mozzies around at the moment? My husband ends up looking like the Elephant man after he has been bitten so we will be bringing plenty of skin-so-soft,  (I've found the blue one called soft and fresh works the best) oh and after reading the mozzie article,  a large jar of Marmite, thanks for the tip.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 09:31:31 AM »
marmite contains vitamin b....folk lore has it that the little buggers don't like it......we do the anti histamine thing(i get hay fever anyways!so when i get to Kalkan i'm brimming with it)but nothing works finer than duffing your accommodation with Raid..a good spray round before you go out..shut the windows(you should anyway because of the other little buggers.....tea leaves that want to steal your things!!)...this coupled with covering yourself with boots repel(50% deet)will work pretty well..(put it in your shave bag etc in your case (liquids rule?)when leaving uk....wrap it in a bag ...unless you buy it at duty free boots .....failing all else the trusty old wazzling with the flippen floppen!!......little mozzie...invade my space i splatter your face!!! >:D

saying this kalkan has made great steps in recent years at spraying at source which has made it loads better....but other towns around? .....beware take repellant in your bag..Sin Kov bought locally is ok..you will stink like a shell forecourt but hey!!..also with repellants like this beware if you have plastic/rubber watches  it can melt or at least make the dye come out watch straps and your sandals for that matter! ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 10:30:14 AM »
Mr Lizard good tips...I use Zoffffff first purchase when I arrive OH use's lots of very expensive products with some success...I know with Zoffff its a 100% bite free holiday. good tip about the Marmite how long does it take you to smear it all over you body before going outside  ;) ;) ;) ;) 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 10:33:35 AM by misty »

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 01:37:49 PM »
Errrrr...you don't  ;D  or the wasps would get you!!..you go to boots or holland and barret and buy vitamin b tablets...same difference!! Take a tablet a day couple of weeks before you go and keep munchin while you are there...whilst these things work for us they may not for others..try not wearing aftershave as well..they love sweet smells..... wash behind your ears and other things with medicated shampoo or as said head and shoulders and you won't stink(water permitting!) you will only stink like a garage with your mozzie repellant :D

P.S ..boots are offering buy 2 get 3rd free on repel  ;)

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 01:58:24 PM »
A few years ago the Times newspaper did a huge test of around 50 mozzie repellants and came to a couple of pretty simple conclusions.

If it doesn't contain DEET it doesn't work and the more DEET it has the better it works.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 08:07:27 PM »
think I've tried everything - see previous threads on this subject - so I can only speak from my own experience. Deet everytime, I know its bad but my bites develop into hideous lumps. One-a-day antihistamines are essential at least three weekks before you go and the entire length of your stay.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 03:08:35 PM »
Just over a week to go so getting out the suitcase.    There has been lots of advice on this forum about mosquitoes.    I also take out lotions from England with 50% deet.    I close all windows early evening and spray my bedroom with product bought locally - smell gone by bedtime and hopefully most mosquitoes!

I also, like others, take antihistamine tablets each day (brought from England) and must now start taking one each day now it is close to the holiday.

Still expect I will get bitten (all biting insects regard me as a popular restaurant).    I have previously then applied antihistamine cream taken from England.  Last year discovered Stilex Jel (it is antihistamine) at the pharmacy on Kalamar Road.    It is in a white and orange box.    I am sure all the pharmacies in Kalkan will sell it.    Found it much more soothing than the creams from England, somehow cooling because it is a gel.    So pleased with it I returned home with some ready for everything that bites me here.   

There is a spraying programme in Kalkan which certainly should be reducing the number of mosquitoes so get ready to enjoy your holidays.    I know I am.

Offline Legionaire

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 04:06:51 PM »
Sacrilege!!
Try spreading vitamin B tablets on your hot buttered toast..... :o
I woke up last night to find the ghost of Gloria Gaynor standing at the foot of my bed. At first I was afraid.......then I was petrified

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 04:57:08 PM »
Anyone thinking of buying Anti Histamine tablets for whatever reason..Asda and Sainsbury do there own brands fo a £1 for 14 tablets..if you buy the ones that contain cetirizine hydrochloride (asda blue box) they contain exactly the same ingredients and dosage as stooopidly priced Piriton And Zirtec etc which only give you 7 tablets anyway!.... ;)

Offline gingeravenger

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 05:49:41 PM »
Personal report whilst watching the cricket at yali. Generally suffer from mozzies in a big way but never in Kalkan. Unfortunately this year they are absolutely rife (possibly down to mild overcast weather this week). On the plus side I don't think there is anything left to bit anymore so it can't get any worse.

Completely agree with comments about DEET above it is the only way to go. Good rule of thumb is if it makes your lips burn you are on the right track strength wise!!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 05:52:41 PM »
If it makes your lips burn??? :o :o ... are you drinking it???? :o :o

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 06:02:14 PM »
Word of warning - 50% deet is the way to go but ladies, please watch delicate clothing.    Once (not in Kalkan) it was cooler in the evening and after liberally spreading the deet over my legs I put on tights.    The tights disintegrated before my eyes.     You may not even contemplate tights in Kalkan but presumably it affects anything delicate.

Offline gingeravenger

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 06:07:41 PM »
Bald head + DEET + excessive sweating = dribbling and burned lips. Panic not I only drink DEET as a last resort!

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 06:12:03 PM »

This summer I am sure that there will be lots of mosquitoes about
The Belediye's winter spraying programme of a couple of men with hand sprays, added to the mild damp weather will not have culled the mosquitoe population.
Already they are appearing in Kalamar, much more than last year
The Belediye should be out now spraying from their vehicles otherwise they will find that tourists will be more troubled by the insects rather than the dogs !!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 06:13:38 PM »
Bald head + DEET + excessive sweating = dribbling and burned lips. Panic not I only drink DEET as a last resort!
...just my kind of woman ;D

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 07:32:34 PM »
50% deet products also melt nail polish. Last year I had beautiful scarlet red nails and after applying deet nearly fainted when I looked down at my hands which were dripping red :o Thought I had blood pouring from them until I noticed it was my melting nail polish ;D

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011, 07:47:58 AM »
If you have a plastic or rubber Swatch watch it will melt the back of that as well..i put in an earlier thread that it will also take the dye out of your sandals etc......but all of this is better than than a load of mozzie bites!

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 08:04:34 AM »

Zooooooooffffff from the local shops.....never had a single bite since I switched to that from all the expensive potions my OH brings............ ;) ;)

Offline jofoss

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 11:42:41 AM »
Just back this morning after two lovely weeks. The mozzies are indeed rife this year, not seen it like this in Kalkan for many years. I am counting at least a dozen bites on each foot/ankle (seemed to collect new ones each day!!) No amount of skin-so-soft, DEET etc etc ,worked to stave them off and I am NOT usually prone to getting bitten.
Would rather be in Kalkan however, mozzies and all, than back this morning to cold grey skies  :(
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 03:17:43 PM by jofoss »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

angry
Mosquitoes

Started by Blue Lizard on General Discussion

22 Replies
Last post July 26, 2015, 06:12:00 PM
by jnismith

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal