Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => General Discussion => Topic started by: Baggy on May 12, 2011, 12:44:09 AM

Title: mosquitoes . . .
Post by: Baggy on May 12, 2011, 12:44:09 AM
Getting eaten alive by mozzies and the like. Not this year!

http://www.enjoykalkan.com/?s=mosquitoes
Title: Re: mosquitoes . . .
Post by: Sulwath on May 12, 2011, 06:24:34 AM
Are there many mozzies around at the moment? My husband ends up looking like the Elephant man after he has been bitten so we will be bringing plenty of skin-so-soft,  (I've found the blue one called soft and fresh works the best) oh and after reading the mozzie article,  a large jar of Marmite, thanks for the tip.
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 12, 2011, 09:31:31 AM
marmite contains vitamin b....folk lore has it that the little buggers don't like it......we do the anti histamine thing(i get hay fever anyways!so when i get to Kalkan i'm brimming with it)but nothing works finer than duffing your accommodation with Raid..a good spray round before you go out..shut the windows(you should anyway because of the other little buggers.....tea leaves that want to steal your things!!)...this coupled with covering yourself with boots repel(50% deet)will work pretty well..(put it in your shave bag etc in your case (liquids rule?)when leaving uk....wrap it in a bag ...unless you buy it at duty free boots .....failing all else the trusty old wazzling with the flippen floppen!!......little mozzie...invade my space i splatter your face!!! >:D

saying this kalkan has made great steps in recent years at spraying at source which has made it loads better....but other towns around? .....beware take repellant in your bag..Sin Kov bought locally is ok..you will stink like a shell forecourt but hey!!..also with repellants like this beware if you have plastic/rubber watches  it can melt or at least make the dye come out watch straps and your sandals for that matter! ;)
Post by: misty on May 12, 2011, 10:30:14 AM
Mr Lizard good tips...I use Zoffffff first purchase when I arrive OH use's lots of very expensive products with some success...I know with Zoffff its a 100% bite free holiday. good tip about the Marmite how long does it take you to smear it all over you body before going outside  ;) ;) ;) ;) 
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 12, 2011, 01:37:49 PM
Errrrr...you don't  ;D  or the wasps would get you!!..you go to boots or holland and barret and buy vitamin b tablets...same difference!! Take a tablet a day couple of weeks before you go and keep munchin while you are there...whilst these things work for us they may not for others..try not wearing aftershave as well..they love sweet smells..... wash behind your ears and other things with medicated shampoo or as said head and shoulders and you won't stink(water permitting!) you will only stink like a garage with your mozzie repellant :D

P.S ..boots are offering buy 2 get 3rd free on repel  ;)
Post by: alantj on May 12, 2011, 01:58:24 PM
A few years ago the Times newspaper did a huge test of around 50 mozzie repellants and came to a couple of pretty simple conclusions.

If it doesn't contain DEET it doesn't work and the more DEET it has the better it works.
Post by: kalkan4eva on May 14, 2011, 08:07:27 PM
think I've tried everything - see previous threads on this subject - so I can only speak from my own experience. Deet everytime, I know its bad but my bites develop into hideous lumps. One-a-day antihistamines are essential at least three weekks before you go and the entire length of your stay.
Post by: tortoise lady on May 27, 2011, 03:08:35 PM
Just over a week to go so getting out the suitcase.    There has been lots of advice on this forum about mosquitoes.    I also take out lotions from England with 50% deet.    I close all windows early evening and spray my bedroom with product bought locally - smell gone by bedtime and hopefully most mosquitoes!

I also, like others, take antihistamine tablets each day (brought from England) and must now start taking one each day now it is close to the holiday.

Still expect I will get bitten (all biting insects regard me as a popular restaurant).    I have previously then applied antihistamine cream taken from England.  Last year discovered Stilex Jel (it is antihistamine) at the pharmacy on Kalamar Road.    It is in a white and orange box.    I am sure all the pharmacies in Kalkan will sell it.    Found it much more soothing than the creams from England, somehow cooling because it is a gel.    So pleased with it I returned home with some ready for everything that bites me here.   

There is a spraying programme in Kalkan which certainly should be reducing the number of mosquitoes so get ready to enjoy your holidays.    I know I am.
Post by: Legionaire on May 27, 2011, 04:06:51 PM
Sacrilege!!
Try spreading vitamin B tablets on your hot buttered toast..... :o
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 27, 2011, 04:57:08 PM
Anyone thinking of buying Anti Histamine tablets for whatever reason..Asda and Sainsbury do there own brands fo a £1 for 14 tablets..if you buy the ones that contain cetirizine hydrochloride (asda blue box) they contain exactly the same ingredients and dosage as stooopidly priced Piriton And Zirtec etc which only give you 7 tablets anyway!.... ;)
Post by: gingeravenger on May 27, 2011, 05:49:41 PM
Personal report whilst watching the cricket at yali. Generally suffer from mozzies in a big way but never in Kalkan. Unfortunately this year they are absolutely rife (possibly down to mild overcast weather this week). On the plus side I don't think there is anything left to bit anymore so it can't get any worse.

Completely agree with comments about DEET above it is the only way to go. Good rule of thumb is if it makes your lips burn you are on the right track strength wise!!
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 27, 2011, 05:52:41 PM
If it makes your lips burn??? :o :o ... are you drinking it???? :o :o
Post by: tortoise lady on May 27, 2011, 06:02:14 PM
Word of warning - 50% deet is the way to go but ladies, please watch delicate clothing.    Once (not in Kalkan) it was cooler in the evening and after liberally spreading the deet over my legs I put on tights.    The tights disintegrated before my eyes.     You may not even contemplate tights in Kalkan but presumably it affects anything delicate.
Post by: gingeravenger on May 27, 2011, 06:07:41 PM
Bald head + DEET + excessive sweating = dribbling and burned lips. Panic not I only drink DEET as a last resort!
Post by: kevincat99 on May 27, 2011, 06:12:03 PM

This summer I am sure that there will be lots of mosquitoes about
The Belediye's winter spraying programme of a couple of men with hand sprays, added to the mild damp weather will not have culled the mosquitoe population.
Already they are appearing in Kalamar, much more than last year
The Belediye should be out now spraying from their vehicles otherwise they will find that tourists will be more troubled by the insects rather than the dogs !!
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 27, 2011, 06:13:38 PM
Bald head + DEET + excessive sweating = dribbling and burned lips. Panic not I only drink DEET as a last resort!
...just my kind of woman ;D
Post by: itstime on May 27, 2011, 07:32:34 PM
50% deet products also melt nail polish. Last year I had beautiful scarlet red nails and after applying deet nearly fainted when I looked down at my hands which were dripping red :o Thought I had blood pouring from them until I noticed it was my melting nail polish ;D
Post by: Blue Lizard on May 28, 2011, 07:47:58 AM
If you have a plastic or rubber Swatch watch it will melt the back of that as well..i put in an earlier thread that it will also take the dye out of your sandals etc......but all of this is better than than a load of mozzie bites!
Post by: misty on May 28, 2011, 08:04:34 AM

Zooooooooffffff from the local shops.....never had a single bite since I switched to that from all the expensive potions my OH brings............ ;) ;)
Post by: jofoss on May 28, 2011, 11:42:41 AM
Just back this morning after two lovely weeks. The mozzies are indeed rife this year, not seen it like this in Kalkan for many years. I am counting at least a dozen bites on each foot/ankle (seemed to collect new ones each day!!) No amount of skin-so-soft, DEET etc etc ,worked to stave them off and I am NOT usually prone to getting bitten.
Would rather be in Kalkan however, mozzies and all, than back this morning to cold grey skies  :(
Post by: pw on May 28, 2011, 01:43:43 PM
Are the Mozzies seasonal? I've never been bothered by the too much but have only been between July & October.
Or maybe they just don't like me!
Post by: alantj on May 28, 2011, 02:12:12 PM
For the last 4 or 5 years nearly all the mozzies seem to have been zapped by trucks that went all round Kalkan spraying huge amounts of mozzie killer just about everywhere. Last year I got more mozzie bites in an afternoon in my garden than two weeks in Kalkan.

So far this year that doesn't seem to have happened, so we will be arriving in July with lots of Jungle formula (50% DEET).

Post by: deepasforever1 on June 02, 2011, 04:44:44 PM
Apparently mosquitoes are rather partial to people who have just eaten bananas.  I've just heard it on radio 2 so it must be true...
Post by: tortoise lady on June 02, 2011, 05:01:24 PM
I haven't heard that one!    Please will no one tell the mozzies I am coming to Kalkan next week.    They won't even wait till I get there, they will send an advance party out to the filling station on the way from Dalaman and if I so much as get out of the car they will advance on me chomping their teeth before I have had the chance to unpack my deet, flamethrowers etc.   I think flippen floppen are no match for them.    It just amuses them.   If you see a tortoise wandering round wrapped from head to toe in a mosquito net (and clutching a flamethrower) that is probably me.   

In case this puts anyone off coming to Kalkan I should point out that I keep returning despite the mozzies.
Post by: itstime on June 02, 2011, 05:42:26 PM
LOL Tortoise lady I have the same problem. Been bitten outside the bloomin airport in the past ::)
I now take deet wipes with me and before landing head off to the loo to apply. Worked so far:-)
I'll be using the usual concoction of Zin Kov and skin so soft which has meant no bites at all the last few years. Long may it continue!
Post by: Blue Lizard on June 02, 2011, 05:47:13 PM
Thats obviously why everytime you see a monkey it's surrounded my Mosquitos :P

Pound Land do a bag of 25 wipes containing deet called XPEL for a quidlie...if these don't work my arms will be like a Whirling Dervish with mine Flippen floppen ;D ;D
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 02, 2011, 05:55:35 PM
I'm another sad person who uses the deet wipes at the airport...beware though they take the dye off your passport cover and leather bag, remove any nail varnish you might be wearing and stain your clothes - one tiny wipe can wreak havoc :o :o
I think the bananas has a ring of truth in it - apparently they are more attracted if you've consumed anything sweet....either that or my BH is trying to make me stop drinking liquers and/or cocktails :-\
Post by: itstime on June 02, 2011, 06:39:29 PM
He might have something there ??? I drink copious amounts of Ajabedam ??? ??? ??? well the almond liqueur :) so maybe that's why the mozzies love me :o
Post by: Bdancer on June 02, 2011, 06:46:35 PM
Very interesting reading the latest updates on the creatures from hell! I will be off to seek out double strength deet, spray/wipes ready for next week

Isis

Post by: Cuddles on June 02, 2011, 09:39:36 PM
Kill them off with a bug zapper. Buy from Maplin and other stores for around £5. Try and get one without all the plastic framework.
Shaped like a tennis racquet you can usually, with stealth, centre it over the victim at about 10cm, press the charging button and move in.
They spark to let you know you have a confirmed kill. So satisfying when you have been woken from a deep sleep by their buzzing around your ear.
Post by: Kalkan regular on June 02, 2011, 09:45:40 PM
The nail varnish problem is solved by using one of those very cheap disposable plastic gloves for the rubbing hand. Took me a few years and the waste of a bottle of nail varnish to work it out and you need to take them with you as I haven't seen them for sale in Kalkan.
Post by: Princess369 on June 02, 2011, 11:41:18 PM
When i went in may i took repellent but didn't use and didn't get bitten

Can someone advise are there more mozzies in july/august??????

Apologies if this is a dum question!!!!!!!! ??? ???
Post by: Blue Lizard on June 03, 2011, 08:47:41 AM
Great News for those who get munched on by skeeters!!! It's reported on KTLN that the Spraying truck started up again on wednesday and is working 6 days aweek to bring misery and finally death to these spiteful little creatures >:D >:D >:D >:D   
Post by: chickengeorge on June 03, 2011, 10:21:05 AM
Oh, so where are all the animal lovers now! Poor things. When I was out last and walked into town I even had a friendly mozzie follow me in. He didn't mean any harm to me. Just gently landed on my arm where he was allowed a little nourishment. I even named him Trevor. If we gave names to these street mozzies maybe we would all appreciate them a bit more. ps I hope trevor is ok. He was fat and full last I saw him and could hardly fly. I doubt he missed this latest cull. rip
Post by: Blue Lizard on June 03, 2011, 10:43:19 AM
Count his lucky stars he didn't meet my Flippen Floppen or the little buggers giblets would have been splattered 8)
Post by: Bdancer on June 03, 2011, 11:15:39 AM
Many thanks KR for the nail varnish tip, very useful. I say exterminate them in way you can, they are evil
Isis
Post by: Charlie on June 03, 2011, 01:06:33 PM
Good news!
http://kalkan.turkishlocalnews.com/portal/kalkan-news/153292-mosquito-truck-makes-a-welcome-return
Post by: pw on June 03, 2011, 07:09:46 PM
Excellent news! Nearly as good as fidimax getting fixed up with a cheap gaff.
Post by: Babs on June 03, 2011, 09:25:41 PM
what an informative forum this is......all these years going to hot countries and I never knew why my nail varnish disappeared so quickly!
we always use the local mozzie spray....and wipes in the airport
Post by: kalkan4eva on June 04, 2011, 02:14:07 PM
Boots Repel (50% Deet) is on offer 3 for price of 2 today - works out at about £14 for 3 sprays. Tesco also do 50% deet spray and they are significantly cheaper than Boots if anyone is looking to stock up :)
Post by: misty on June 04, 2011, 03:15:22 PM

I'm assuming that its only when you arrive on a late flight you need to take precautions.....I never seem to be bothered until after the witching hour.....then its on with the Zofff and Vera Wang for men they dont like it....... ;) ;) ;) ;) 
Post by: AllanChris on June 05, 2011, 12:49:50 AM
Got back from Kalkan yesterday (Sat 4th June) didn't see a single mosquito!
Post by: Enişte on June 22, 2011, 04:31:59 PM
With everyone's attention having been on matters aquatic for the last few weeks, has anyone seen or heard the mozzie spraying trucks or men around town?  I was in a restaurant last night with one of the ultraviolet bug zappers and it was going off every few seconds!
Post by: Legionaire on June 27, 2011, 08:49:27 AM
Mozzies love damp, wet conditions, no water no mozzies..... ;D
Post by: Enişte on June 27, 2011, 09:35:21 AM
But has anyone told the mozzies that, or more importantly, the olive flies?
Post by: kevincat99 on June 27, 2011, 11:52:55 AM

Eniste .....don't say that it will upset the tourists maybe
Post by: tortoise lady on June 27, 2011, 12:08:54 PM
I was in Kalkan in the second and third week of June and the mozzie spraying lorries were busy going round, certainly in the Kalamar Road part of Ortalaan so assume they were spraying everywhere.

I was bitten once or two but tossed down some extra antihistamine tablets and put some gel on the bites and and the itch went away.    I did put on plenty of deet and sprayed my room before going out each evening.   Gave it an extra spray on returning and used the time waiting for the worst of the smell to evaporate by having an extra glass of something elsewhere.   No hardship.

Overall would say that the mozzies were no real problem this year for me and certainly didn't spoil the Kalkan magic.    In fact had as many nibbles by something in the garden in London yesterday when the weather was gloriously hot and sunny.   
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal