Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Gin and tonic  (Read 10356 times)

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Gin and tonic
« on: May 11, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
Looking back I see quite a few posts about obtaining tonic in Kalkan but nothing praising Turkish gin.    We generally bring duty free gin with us but find it can quickly evaporate in the warm weather (well, it does seem to vanish quickly so I can only assume it has evaporated).  We love Turkish gin and have done several blind tests with other expensive well known brands and find the Turkish stuff can well hold its own.    In fact we have sometimes brought it back to England.

So if you haven't tried it and are staying in a villa or apartment pick some up in a shop and give it a try.    I imagine that in bars/restaurants unless you ask for imported gin you will be serve the Turkish variety.    We would certainly never order the more expensive imported varieties.

I have only recently started to drink Efes (will work hard to catch up when out next month) but am a seasoned gin and tonic drinker and lift my glass to the Turkish gin.    I look forward to my first refreshing g. and t. sitting gazing out over the bay.   

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=7729.0

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: Gin and tonic
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 03:04:13 PM »
Being a Tortoise i assume it's Sloe gin :angel: ;D
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline sally

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 04:06:32 PM »
I have to say that the worst hangover I have ever had was from Turkish gin - but that was about 10 years ago.

I now stick to my duty free gin in my room/apartment  & drink Efes when out .

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 07:11:19 PM »
There's only one gin imho  -  Tanqueray. If there's a Turkish equivalent though I'd be happy to give it a whirl
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 07:23:07 PM »
The Turkish gin is not Tanqueray (which I very much like) and it is rather herby if that is the right expression.    I reckon I can smell the difference of Turkish gin.   It has never given me a hangover (as far as I can remember) and I am generous with my quantities,   I reckon it is very worthwhile giving it a go.   It is labelled Cin in the shops. 

I liked blue lizard's comment about sloe gin.     Actually I have been known to drink that as well.     Would like to defend the tortoises though on slowness - have you ever watched a male in pursuit of a female?    Incredible turn of speed for such short legs and with a large shell to carry.    A reluctant female can also move quite quickly when she needs to.

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 07:55:58 PM »
We love the Turkish gin!! You can't beat having a gin and tonic at the Moonlight bar and sitting people watching!!
Nicky

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 07:47:25 PM »
In Kalkan I drink gin and soda...because there is no such thing as low cal tonic in Turkey and I find the "full fat" tonic too sweet  :P :P Each visit I scour the supermarkets in the vain hope that diet tonic has made its way through to the shelves.....along with limes ;D
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 07:54:59 PM »

Low calorie tonic ......no but limes ....yes..the greengrocer up from the Kaya now seems to stock them on a regular basis [or if you have a garden you can now buy a lime tree in Fethiye 20TL although you will have to wait a while for the fruit !!]

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 08:11:18 PM »
Yes, indeed, the limes for the gin and tonic.    I would be very tempted if I saw a lime tree for sale in Kalkan but I did read some time ago that the reason there are plenty of lemon trees but no lime is that the climate isn't really right.   Anyone had any real success with a lime tree in Kalkan?    Otherwise I will carry on using lemons.    Kalkan4ever, I don't have a problem with the tonic being too sweet, but now I think about it maybe my proportions of gin to tonic may have something to do with it........   Also liberal ice and lemon.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 07:37:47 AM »
There was a large lime tree at the rear of the market..tucked down a side street,,rammed with limes each year....(no it wasn't an unripe lemon tree!!)sadly chopped down to make way for a garage..i reveal it's wherabouts because it's no longer there and i don't have to share the limes :-*

Offline BarbH

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 09:56:54 AM »
Is Lime cordial available in Kalkan. I cannot  stand bottled water but can drink it  if there is lime juice in it....at home I can drink water from the tap,

I have no problem drinking G&T though!!!

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 03:39:13 PM »
Whilst we were in the Lizo last year Ali made us a gin and tonic and we commented on the lack of limes in it, next night we had limes in it picked from the tree in the garden!!!!

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 07:52:16 PM »
I wonder if the lime tree at Lizo is still there.    If you see a tortoise creeping around when it is dark............

Very sad blue lizard, to hear that a lime tree had to go for a garage.    You can't put a car in your gin and tonic.    Maybe I will have to carry on using unripe lemons - you obviously know about the confusion sometimes in Kalkan with green lemons in shops getting snapped up to the surprise of the locals.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 06:25:59 PM »
I will definitely be paying a visit to the greengrocers up from Kaya (thanks KC) and also, as usual, bringing a stock of limes from the UK. Given the copious amounts of gin I'm likely to consume during a three week stay, importing low cal tonic in our suitcases isn't an option :(

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 06:27:49 PM »

Kalkan4eva............the limes were still in the greengrocers today   ;D

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 07:23:53 PM »
Hope they still stock them when we get there - only three weeks to go.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 08:19:35 AM »
Tortoise lady ....i will be there in 3 weeks..i would take you scrumping for limes with me but i guess you will be a bit slow on the get away :P

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 08:33:12 AM »
Thanks KC. Weekly lime update would be good leading up to the end of July....if its not too much trouble ;D ;D Sadly no trip in June this year :( :( I'm very envious of all you residents and BL and tortoise lady and all our Kalkan friends...*swings legs and sulks like a small child*

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 08:37:26 AM »
Never mind K4E....it was a pleasure meeting you last year even if only briefly..i shall try my hardest to make sure all the Efes has gone when you get there!! :-*

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
We're also out there in just over 2 weeks time, can't wait for that first gin and tonic!! And that first Efes, and first Raki!!
I'll keep a look out for a lizard and a tortoise!!!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Slimline Tonic

Started by Lizilu20 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

20 Replies
Last post June 07, 2015, 09:49:28 AM
by Lizilu20
xx
Tonic water

Started by maddie on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

11 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 03:20:18 PM
by fidimax
xx
Diet Tonic

Started by Lynne T on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

5 Replies
Last post July 22, 2013, 05:47:28 PM
by hobbo
xx
Schweppes Tonic

Started by kevincat99 on General Discussion

11 Replies
Last post October 10, 2008, 02:05:33 PM
by kalkan4eva

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kekova Trip

Views: 2749
By: Bob & Jayne
Gulet