Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Turkish Restaurants in London  (Read 6727 times)

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
Turkish Restaurants in London
« on: December 22, 2010, 07:23:36 PM »
Took a client to a lovely restaurant at London Bridge called Tas really nice authentic Turkish food but unfortunately I was driving so no Efes...did persuade her that Kalkan is the place to go for a fantastic holiday  :) :) thoroughly recommend the restaurant...I normally go to the Hayes Galleria for Italian but you get swamped with tourists there...I believe that Tas are a chain throughout London.       

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=7202.0

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
Re: Turkish Restaurants in London
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 09:42:49 PM »

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 11:24:00 PM »
TAS are a chain, that has been going for at least 10 years. I have been to three of them in London. Food is always very good and reasonably priced for central London; about the same as in Kalkan.

They don't do much by the way of Turkish wines, and no Angora. We asked why and a waiter said it was too expensive compared to other similar wines.     
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 11:28:12 PM by alantj »

Offline clashgour

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 01:09:21 AM »
Yes, Tas is good - been to the one near Waterloo a few times - but also recommend Kazan in Victoria.  Have even taken a Kalkan Turkish friend there and he was impressed.

Also try the Rock and Sole Plaice in Endell St to the north of Covent Garden.  It's a Turkish chippy that has a take-away and eat-in service and sells Efes.  For somewhere in the heart of the West End it is very reasonably priced.  Do enjoy.

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 11:04:56 AM »
Kazan is another place I used to go to a lot, I used to work nearby in Horseferry Road so it was a favourite after the pub place.

However that doesn't do it justice, the food, especially the barbeque is great (some better than we have found in Kalkan) and well worth a special vist.

I now work in Croydon (anyone got a tip about a decent Turkish there?) so now don't get up into London much, but now you have reminded me I will make an effort to go back to Kazan in the new year.     

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 11:07:58 AM »
Not Croydon but West Wickham can't remember its name, but near Belmont dry cleaners and the swimmimg baths!

Offline Pete

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 11:59:43 AM »
As we are talking south of the river. There is a very good Turkish restaurant in Cheam Village called the 'Village Charcoal Grille'. The family that own it are very friendly and most welcoming. Its fairly simple Turkish food and is very reasonably priced and they have a good heating system, so you will be nice and warm in this cold weather! As it seems to be getting more popular it does get rather busy on a Friday/Saturday, so I would suggest that you phone and book.
We last went a couple of months ago for the wife's birthday, they gave us a complimentary bottle of Turkish white wine called Villa Doluca, it really surprised me, as I usually find Turkish wine to be a bit rough. This wine was the best Turkish wine that I have had.   

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 02:27:39 PM »
Yes, Tas is good - been to the one near Waterloo a few times - but also recommend Kazan in Victoria.  Have even taken a Kalkan Turkish friend there and he was impressed.

Also try the Rock and Sole Plaice in Endell St to the north of Covent Garden.  It's a Turkish chippy that has a take-away and eat-in service and sells Efes.  For somewhere in the heart of the West End it is very reasonably priced.  Do enjoy.

Covent Garden sounds good I'm up that way alot lately so I will try it out  :) :) :)

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 02:42:22 PM »
From memory Villa Doluca wine is sold in most of the supermarkets in Kalkan and available in many of the restaurants.

Offline kalkanfan

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 03:20:23 PM »
Not Croydon but West Wickham can't remember its name, but near Belmont dry cleaners and the swimmimg baths!

I think you are referring to Marmaris in Ravenscroft Cresent

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 08:51:53 PM »

Looking at the response seems we are not short of Turkish restaurants in the UK..... not counting the Kebab vans outside the night clubs  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 10:42:03 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I will definitely give them a try in the new year.

Offline Jamera

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
    • Villa Jamera
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 12:51:20 PM »
If memory serves you can get Angora at the Sofra (http://www.sofra.co.uk/) chain of restaurants - several in London, but the best known is in St Christophers Place just behind Oxford St. 

And another one to try is the Del' Aziz (http://www.delaziz.co.uk/) chain - more of a 'Persian' restaurant, but with a deli attached and as I passed swiftly psat on my way to the table I saw a few recognisable brands

Offline takemethere

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 04:04:16 PM »
Best Mangal in West Kensington & Fulham.  Absolutely delicious & really great, friendly service.  Be sure to have the esme salad & also the lamb mince kebab, or the mixed grill!

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 07:34:28 PM »
Absolutely not in London but a restaurant in Glasgow city centre has opened. It's called Anatolia and have to say it is absolutely amazing :D Really authentic food at a ridiculously reasonable price. Angora and errrrrrrr Ajebedam ?? available and oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh delicious :D

Offline iqbalhussain1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 02:11:00 AM »
i went to adiva restaurant with my work friends recently. a great byo restaurant in london spitalfields aldgate east area. the food was delicious.

www.adivarestaurant.com

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 05:10:31 PM »
Anyone generally unfortunate enough to find themselves in Cheshunt, Herts (exit 25 of the M25) should check out Lavaş for a great meal.  There is even a Wetherspoons opposite, where I understand Efes (and ASBOs) is often served.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 05:27:02 PM by Enişte »

Offline IssyG

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 10:56:44 PM »
The best Turkish food is to be found in North and East London - Green Lanes in Haringey North London has dozens of Turkish restaurants covering all price ranges, Blackstock Road and Upper Street in Islington have their fair share.  Dalston Lane has the fantastic Mangal restaurant which has featured several times in Time Out.

There is a very large Turkish community in North London and the Turkish restaurants are one of the cheaper options in Islington which can be painfully expensive for eating out.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Mayor of London holidaying off Turkish Coast

Started by jinfizzz on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2008, 07:56:59 PM
by Em1
xx
Turkish restaurants in the UK

Started by claire on The Everything Else Area!

34 Replies
Last post October 10, 2009, 07:52:53 PM
by misty
xx
Top three Turkish Restaurants in Kalkan

Started by alantj on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post August 31, 2009, 11:13:30 AM
by Lorretta
xx
Hot here in London

Started by BarbH on General Discussion

16 Replies
Last post May 26, 2012, 10:14:57 AM
by Skunk

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan cat

Views: 2822
By: saskia
EK 70s Night