Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Stuck for words - Kalkan October 2010  (Read 11172 times)

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
    • space sense
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Stuck for words - Kalkan October 2010
« on: October 26, 2010, 06:25:54 PM »
Not the usual state of affairs... been trying to find the words for this holiday report for quite some time. After all, I encourage others to share their experiences here, so feel that I should "walk the talk"... but this time, it's been quite tricky to compose a report that will make good reading. So I'm just going to dive in and let my fingers do the reporting, if it's a nonsense I'm sure someone will tell me.

Could it be that for the first few days we were so wiped out and exhausted, that our physical movement was limited to the journey from sun lounger to the cafe(s) at the end of our lane??

Or perhaps our Hamam experience at La Sera (also at the end of our lane) taken on our first full day included a labotomy? We wouldnt have noticed, to be honest.

I vaguely remember hitting the bar at the Elixir Hotel early evening on the day we arrived - OH needed his Ryder Cup fix and this was the first place we saw with a TV - and a convivial group were gathered in the outside bar also watching the last moments and the following ceremony. Odd to think it took place not far from where we live ... at least the rain had stopped in Wales, so they could finish the match! A few Effes later, the golf fix had done it's work and we headed off to say hello Mustafa at Cafe Vita who welcomed us with a huge hug and more chilled Efes. A great start and a short stagger home. 

Next morning, Tapestries finest, Vickie, called in to see us. She gave us a sunny Kalkan welcome, with lots of inside info on the area (and it's characters), and included shortcuts for the steep walk into town and also a new way to get to the market on Thursday. I know this because I remember the grin on her face as we wrote it all down. (We knew we wouldn't remember her words, state we were in)!

So the first few days flew by in a haze of lovely peace, discovering some new places nearby - and feeling the effects of Eddies "medical" massage, (La Sera) which I swear left me weak to the point of being unable to lift laptop out of case for the entire fortnight. Pain does not describe the experience.  But the results are astounding. Included in Eddies favorite phrases are: "Hurt? Normal". "Squeal? Normal". "In the morning, not sleep, not eat - STRETCH!!!!!" Yes, well, this once calcified insomniac can now turn her head fully, apply sun block to her own back and sleep through the night! Only trouble is the massages left me starving! Thankfully the surprisingly good La Sera Cafe is above the Hamam so sustenance was close by. Irfan's freshly squeezed oj is nectar in a glass ... and the Menemen is just packed with flavour.

Thank heaven we'd booked the boat trip with Osman on Yilditz. Or we'd still be rolling from lounger to massage to cafe. Instead we took Vickie's shortcut down to the harbour (stunning walk) and stopped for pancakes at the Fernier Cafe on the harbourside, where we watched some of the boat Captains and crew have their breakfasts, with loud discussions and much humor between them.

Once we had boarded Yilditz, were treated like Kings and Queens for the whole day. Even though the sea was very choppy and we didn't get very far, nobody minded; swimming, lolling (we're getting quite good at lolling at this point) being served freshly cooked lunch, produced from the tiniest of galleys - what a spread, how do they do it? After lunch and another swim / snooze, fresh fruit platters, then coffee and cake  - everyone was there to enjoy themselves, and we all did. Osman and Mrs Osman gave us all a brilliant day out for the princely sum of 40TL per head. I don't know how they make a living. Oh yes - Osman, sorry about my cushion.(Which took a dive following a gust of wind, causing Osman to about turn the boat and fish it out, much to everyone's amusement and my embarrassment).

Finally, we feel like we are waking up, getting to the point when we can begin the holiday part of our holiday!

I realise now that the reason for the stlted start both to the holiday and this report, is that this year, our trip has been less about the place, more about the people.

After dinner on Sunday, we met up with some of the EK crew at the Kleo bar. We were made to feel very welcome and it was really good to meet up with them all. Mrs Antler looked a bit shell shocked at first as Antler was still recovering from his two bottles of Angora lunch up at Adams, JoanH and Mrs. EK nicely relaxed with cocktails and the boys talking geek / website / toys. The blue anniversary cocktail was interesting ... and Mr & Mrs A worked their way through it valiantly. What a great bunch.

There is something about Kalkan that attracts lovely people. We met newbies who were already falling hard for the place, folk who have been visiting twice yearly for sixteen years (world travelers who wouldn't miss their Kalkan fix), we met owners, residents, day trippers, honeymooners, folk of all age groups and from all backgrounds - they all had something to tell us, a Kalkan story to share, or an introduction to something new.

We met several EK posters (Hello "Itstime"! your poor husband seemed mortified... great to meet you!) and many who read the forum for news and information - and love it, but prefer not to post.

Local people as always were open and welcoming, we were consistently met with friendliness everywhere. Those we had met last year somehow recognized us, and seemed genuinely pleased to see our return. We felt like old friends.

We tried favorite haunts, and lots of new places, all of which are well documented here by others. Suffice to say we didn't have any disasters, and almost all of our eating out experiences were top notch. And none cost top dollar.

The trumpet came out with us on a couple of occasions, at the request of a fairly persistent man who will remain nameless - you know who you are -  ;D - This brought about some treasured moments, and the competitive spirit in Kalkan amongst the local restaurant staff (who were determined to get a tune out of it) was quite something!

Didn't scratch the surface of my carefully researched 'do list' - instead spent some lovely days and evenings with new friends, sharing not only Kalkan experiences and a few bottles of LAL, but also tales of home, and future dreams. This turned our lovely restful trip into a memorable holiday.

So 'the list' still unconquered, we hope to return next year. We'll have to see what life brings ...

In the meantime, thanks to everyone who contributed to "the list" - that's probably you.

Thanks also to everyone we had the pleasure of meeting, you all made our holiday.

For those who are interested, here are my 2010 Kalkan favorites, in no particular order:
1. The Mojito's at Bar51 (at the Pasha Pension on Kalamar Road) - knockout and really fresh
2. Summer Steak, Mousaka, and Mozerella Chicken at Mussaka (not all at the same time) (we couldnt decide)
3. Anything at the Olive Garden
4. The harbour side setting at Ferner Cafe
5. Captain Osmans Boat trip
6. Cheese and mushroom omelet for breakfast at Cafe Vita - simple, but the best we had anywhere
7. Menemen / Spinach pancakes and freshly squeezed orange juice for brunch at la Sera Cafe (smashing views too)
8. The view and the welcome at Adams (and Mrs Adem's enthusiastic trumpet playing)
9. The fun waiting staff and the food at Merkez Cafe (more trumpet memories)
10. Eddie's "medical" massages. The La Sera treatment list should say "magical".

There are more but you'd all be asleep. I seem to have found a few words ....
till next time
Lorilou  :D

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=6637.0
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 09:48:32 PM by lorilou »
if you can walk you can dance

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Stuck for words - Kalkan October 2010
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 06:57:49 PM »
Great report!

I keep meaning to do one of these, but always seem to lose heart when I get back to UK weather... :-(

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 07:56:50 PM »
Fab report  Lorilou , and it was great to meet you and Derek, hope to see you both...and the trumpet again  ;D

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 07:57:56 PM »
Great report and fantastic to meet you both :)
.............. and next time bring a Trumpet that works, im sure I was using a joke one ;D ;D

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 08:40:02 PM »
Great report and fantastic to meet you both :)
.............. and next time bring a Trumpet that works, im sure I was using a joke one ;D ;D

Jon your determination knows no bounds - everyone - this man LOVES a challenge! I can still see the gleam in your eye and the triumphant glazed over expression when you finally solved how to get a message posted from my new iGadget.... (not that it made a jot of difference to my posting anything)  ;D

Great to meet you both too, we'll do it again another day, I'm sure.
cheers! Lori

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 08:43:34 PM »
Fab report  Lorilou , and it was great to meet you and Derek, hope to see you both...and the trumpet again  ;D

Thanks! I wasn't sure it would ever get written... great to meet you too - we had loads of fun with you both. Your stories are highly entertaining, great company. Next time, perhaps ...
 8) Lori

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 08:58:28 PM »
LOL Lorilou, OH was indeed bemused at me dashing off to speak to a strange trumpet player ::) Was great to put a face to a name :)

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 09:19:44 PM »
Ray and I also enjoyed meeting you, lets hope we can enjoy another cocktail or three at Kleo's.
Lovely report and worth the wait.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 09:56:48 PM »
Nice report, thanks for taking time...i shall listen out for a trumpet next year.......although i'd be more concerned if Mrs L dashed off to speak to a strange man with a horn! :angel: :laugh:

People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline rjs1974

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 02:57:23 PM »
Is it not called the Fener Cafe/Lighthouse Cafe, not Fernier? I think Fener means lamp in Turkish.

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 05:08:24 PM »
yeah it is the Fener and I love it there. Best Meze lunch I've ever had and the service is wonderful too :)

Offline Begonvil

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 08:24:24 PM »
Fener means lantern in Turkish

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 09:31:14 PM »
Langenscheidts Universal Dictionary..........Fener.............meaning
                                Lantern or
                                 Streetlamp or
                                   Lighthouse
in this instance Lighthouse     ;) :-*

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 09:47:53 PM »
oh Boy. what have I started!

So sorry - Ferner cafe ... my mistake, thanks for pointing it out, spelling is now corrected.
Ta very much!
L :laugh:

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 10:18:43 PM »
Bet you wish you were back right now...sat supping cocktails watching the stars....sigh!! ::)

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 10:22:12 PM »
I know I do :(

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 12:56:31 AM »
Mojito at bar51 and a chat with the residents especially if they are Podge & Carol. Stop at the pancake house to check out the view, say hello to Mr Happy at Chillies and end up sliding into a cool glass of Efes. Or creating a football poster for entirely the wrong team (long story). Much slapping of backs and big smiles.
Work our way into town hoping to get a table at a fave place. Stop to chat at Merkez. See familiar faces gettiing sun kissed and warmed up with the house rose. Decide to join them and allow the evening to slide along with a little food, a glass or two, smiling till your cheenks ache.
Wander down to the harbour, bump into home goers squeezing a few more hours out of their Kalkan time. Stop for a while at the Ferner, join them for a nightcap and listen to the waves suck at the pebbles on the beach.
Walk up the steps and half way realize that we have furry company which is somehow a great reason to call at Cafe Leon for a rest and a coffee with amaretto.
If we get a cab home we might miss something, someone. So we slowly walk up the hill, to make the most of every moment. 
Dear Blue Lizard. I'm still there in spirit.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 08:36:39 AM »
it's FENER!! ;D     xxx

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 05:08:19 PM »
...think she may have got that one now, BL ;D ;D
Kalkan is the only place we've been to where a pre-dinner drink can turn into an all-nighter. The amount of times we've bumped into people and stayed chatting, then more people have come along and we've chatted to them... then before you know it, we've had to get Mhuttin to order a takeaway for us...then the Moonlight slope becomes weirdly non-existent until you stand up to go home and it rises to meet you :P :P :) . We've often walked away...well I use the term "walk" in the loosest sense of the word...and said to each other "how on earth did that happen?"
Lorilou, you're so right when you say you just allow the evening to slide along...every night's an adventure unless you've pre-booked a table in a restaurant :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 05:14:37 PM »
stop for a while at the Ferner, 

want a bet!....... i'm only having some mild fun.... :P :-*

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Antler's October Holıday 2010

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

35 Replies
Last post October 19, 2010, 12:13:30 PM
by Roxie
xx
Kalkan, in a few words....

Started by MartynE on General Discussion

6 Replies
Last post February 08, 2017, 01:47:01 PM
by Blue Lizard
xx
Just a few words to describe Kalkan..................

Started by onelove on Holiday Reports and Reviews

5 Replies
Last post August 15, 2011, 09:42:59 AM
by chrissy1
xx
Describe Kalkan in three words

Started by MartynE on General Discussion

45 Replies
Last post August 14, 2013, 07:58:58 PM
by clara 50

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal