Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Excursions...advice please  (Read 2305 times)

Offline iminei

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Excursions...advice please
« on: August 05, 2010, 09:51:06 AM »
hi there,

We (my husband and I) are coming to Kalkan for the first time at the end of August and we are keen to go on a couple of trips, particularly walking the Saklikent (?) Gorge.

I have seen details of one such trip, however we don't really want to go to a carpet factory (and be hassled to buy ) so I'm wondering whether anyone could recommend any worthwhile trips (and their costs, where best to buy them (hotel, tour operator, town, pre book online etc) and any other hints and tips about staying in Kalkan.

Over to you guys.........
Regards
Iminei

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=6099.0

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: Excursions...advice please
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 10:39:52 AM »
You can get the Dolmus from the bus station and do Saklikent by yourselves...you will get wet so dry clothes and towel

jeep safari is a good day out but look around as routes and what you do varie as does size of jeeps and people in it

boat trips from the harbour a good bet very popular, no more than £20 pound each ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Lancs lass

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 11:39:10 AM »
I was just thinking of asking the same thing! On previous trips,with Adda and we've been dragged round the carpet factory, turkish delight factory and gold centre!! Although they were interesting (with the exception of the gold centre, just awful!!!) I wouldn't like to repeat them and they detract from otherwise great day out.  ::)
I like the advantage of meeting people and having an informative local guide on these trips rather that doing it ourselves, but it does put me off - anybody know of tours without the 'added extras'?

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 02:13:19 PM »
We DIY'd Saklikent by driving there in a hire car (Abi Travel £25 for the day) - once you're there, there are plenty of "guides" to take you round the gorge. Absolute "must-do" just for the silly rubber hire shoes alone... ;D  We went to Xanthos on the way back, and sort of, by an accident, tagged on to an organised tour of the site 8) 8)  To be fair, the guide had a very loud voice, you would have heard him in Kinik so we couldn't help it.. :P
We always do a boat trip from the harbour - they are a great day out as BL says and really enjoyed the day over in Meis (went with Adda and no carpet/gold/turkish delight stops then). We always like to go to Kas, Fethiye and Patara when we're in Kalkan, but use the local bus services.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline iminei

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 04:30:04 PM »
i had thought about the dolmus; didnt know it went to saklikent though...how would you do that...jump on, pay, get dropped off, walk up the gorge, walk back to where you were dropped off and get back on dolmus, pay and go home??? or are there pick up points on route or at either end????...you can tell i dont have a clue can't you?!!hahahaha
this gorge is it...the grand canyon size or local shopping centre size??

Also very interested in the beach.....so a quick poll from all you sun worshippers out there if you please.....
Best beach...
Km's from Kalkan...
best method of travel...
cost of travel...
Cost of entry (if applicable)...
amenities...
cost of amenities...
peacefulness...
liveliness...
Best bar/cafe/restaurant on beach (if applicable)...
expensive or reasonable for above...

yes guys i am very serious about the beach on my holidays...
and as i haven't had an abroad (thereby relaxing/hot) holiday for 3 years this is VERY very serious stuff!!!
all and any info will be most greatly received.
regards
iminei

Offline tonik1945

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 05:07:47 PM »
If you use the search button you will find a load of information on all these subjects.

Offline frangaz16

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 06:40:04 PM »
Hi There,
Best thing we ever did was hire a car.  Cheap and cheerfull and a great way to see all the sites. You can pick up a map at the local souvenir shops that will give you all the local places to visit, i.e. Patara Beach and ruins, Xanthos, Tlos, Saklikent, the list goes on. If you like to explore its the best way to see the real Turkey.

We drove all the way to Alanya in June via the coast road and returned via the mountain road. The scenery was breathtaking, the locals outstanding and the hospitality second to non.
Hope you have a fab holiday, really jealous.
Fran

Offline cocoamanchester

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 08:16:13 AM »
I am also interested in how to do Saklikent by dolmus.  We have 2 children with us so don't think they would be interested in looking at carpets!
Is it easy to do it yourself and what would the cost be? 
If anybody has done this trip I would be interested in how to get there, how long it takes to walk through etc. ???

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 08:55:33 AM »
My daughter arranged for a taxi to pick them up about 10.30 take them to Saklikent, wait for them while they did the gorge and have a late lunch then take them onto Patara beach for the late afternoon when it was a bit cooler and then bring them back. They just asked taxi drivers for a price (about £45 I think) and it was a good deal for 4 of them.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Excursions

Started by slodge on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

1 Replies
Last post July 25, 2010, 08:48:54 PM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
excursions and dolmus

Started by johnl on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

3 Replies
Last post August 08, 2008, 09:07:00 AM
by johnl
xx
Booking Excursions

Started by Oscie on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

4 Replies
Last post August 03, 2012, 01:49:23 PM
by Skunk
xx
Jewel in the Crown - excursions?

Started by duckling on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 03:30:27 PM
by Shirley Burley

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal