Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Summer 2010 - our holiday by Marje and Poppy  (Read 2632 times)

Offline Marje40

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Summer 2010 - our holiday by Marje and Poppy
« on: July 26, 2010, 09:41:40 PM »
Well, it's been over a week since we've come back now  :( , so I thought I should pop a report on here of how it went.

After some great advice from all you previous posters and much research of the website in the 5 months prior, we were so excited to be finally going!

We stayed at Samira Garden Tekinberk, which after leaving home at 4.30am to get to Edinburgh for a 9am flight and finally arriving by taxi (Addatours) at the Samira Garden, there was no room even though I'd booked it almost 6 months before!  Not a good start, I was not happy.  After being offered an apartment up the lane, across the road, which I declined and much declaring by the receptionist that there was no room, I stood my ground and half an hour of hanging about later.........we were given a room in the hotel.  Things were fine after that, until I started paying my bar bill.  I do like my wine I have to say but after paying 3 days worth a couple of times when I couldn't really remember what I had I was amazed to see the number of drinks on there.  The second week I paid every morning and knew exactly what I'd had, they were overcharging every single day.  It leaves me with a very bad impression of the hotel really.  Having said that the pool and bar were great, we met some lovely people there.  We gave up on breakfast in the end, I only wanted coffee and watermelon as I don't really eat breakfast, I only got watermelon a couple of days, they'd invariably run out, if you're not early the staff have had the breakfast by the time you arrive.  Also, Poppy was charged to get a drink of water at breakfast, which seems a bit mean when she doesn't drink tea or coffee.

Anyway, onto Kalkan itself, our first night we walked down to Salt n Pepper and were enticed in by the lovely Nihat who offered Poppy a free cocktail and we ended up eating there, food was good, service fantastic and what a view.  The lamb was delicious.

We walked along the harbour and were invited to have a look around the Sea Bella, then offered dinner which we declined but when we chose a boat trip, that was our pick.  It was 30 tl for me and free for Poppy, a great deal.  Although after too many wines the night before we had to rush to get to the harbour for 10am.  The captain managed to get Poppy in the deep water too, and he swam alongside her.  We sat with his mum and wife and although there was much gesticulating amongst us to help communicate, what a lovely family and crew.  A really enjoyable day.

Other fabulous people we met; Oz from Ada Patisserie, baklava to die for and both him, his wife and daughter Eileen were charming and I highly recommend popping in for breakfast, we didn't manage to get to his restaurant this time, but there's always next year.

If you're shopping for jewellery, a visit to Metin at She Jewellery is a must.........I'm ashamed to say I didn't buy anything and enjoyed his great hospitality and Poppy is adorned with jewellery from him, what a lovely man.  Also had my only kebab with him - lamb and SO good, it was delivered from Oz Adana, I could eat that every day and die happy.

We had previously been to Oz Adana, as recommended by loads of you on here, and had pide which was great.

Other recommendations are Cafe Zula, great chilled vibe and fab owners.

Eden Lounge, which we only managed for afternoon drinks, shady sumptuous gardens that we didn't want to leave, Poppy loved the hammock and I want my garden like that.

Saffron, the food was good, I had steak, but the setting and view was to die for.  Although the waiter managed to drop my glass of wine when he brought it and it smashed all over our table, then he didn't bring me any change when I paid, so he lost his tip (perhaps a bit mean of me, but there you go!)  Apart from that it was great and I would go back.

Kaya Restaurant on our last night, the chicken in white wine sauce was fantastic and the magic tricks were amazing, I'd definitely go back.

We had lunch at Aubergine a couple of days, very nice to lounge about in the cool of the fans with comfy sofas, food was good.

We wanted to go to beach clubs but didn't make it, stuck to beaches instead.

Apart from the food, it was the people we met that made our holiday and has made a difference to whether we are going back or not, although I could happily work my way round all the restaurants.

We adored all the animals and all praise to Kaspa!

We will be back.........next year, but it's an apartment for us next time!

Thanks to everyone that has contributed and made this site so good for info on everything.

Marje and Poppy  ;D

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=6026.0

Offline Amndwr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
Re: Summer 2010 - our holiday by Marje and Poppy
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 09:49:09 PM »
Hi Marge40,

Thank you for an informative report. 

I'm off to the Samira with my daughter in two weeks - I do hope they have a room for us!  ^-^

Good tips.....thanks for the details......

Best Wishes

Amanda x  ;D

Offline Marje40

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 10:33:56 PM »
Hi Amanda,

You'll have a great time......just hold out for a room and don't drink wine!  ;D

The pool is fantastic there so is bound to be a winner and it's in a good location, walk across the car park opposite it to walk down into town past all the restaurants.  Directly down the hill from it (the steep one!) takes you straight to the harbour.  And up the road and across the street, up the steps on left is Ada Patisserie, where you can get proper cafetiere coffee, good turkish tea and pastries etc.  Yum!

Have a fantastic time!  :)

Offline ScotsinKalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 08:19:39 AM »
Hi, is there some confusion about which Samira here? I think that the Samira Garden is different to the Samira Hotel and Apartments!

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 08:32:39 AM »
Yes 2 different hotels.  There are 3 hotels in Kalkan with Samira in the name. Samira Hotel & Apts,(in town centre) Samira Deluxe (further out of town on the hillside) and Samira Gardens (fomerly Tekinberk).

Offline Amndwr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 08:40:02 AM »
ooohhh...

My booking form says - the Samira Hotel and Apartment....(not garden) - think I am confused  ???  -doesn't take much.... :-\

A  x

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 10:09:42 AM »
You're at the one between the two roundabouts, next to Tescom and a few doors away from the Kaya.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Wanted Summer 2010

Started by slodge on Accommodation and Hotels

1 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 09:03:28 PM
by Chucky
question
Holiday Reads 2010

Started by lorilou on General Discussion

10 Replies
Last post September 07, 2010, 09:50:33 AM
by lorilou
xx
Antler’s Holiday 2010 – Time to Say Goodbye

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

16 Replies
Last post August 01, 2010, 10:32:44 PM
by fidimax
xx
Teenagers View of a Kalkan Holiday - July 2010

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post August 10, 2010, 11:34:11 AM
by antler

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal