Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Antler’s Holiday 2010 – Time to Say Goodbye  (Read 7187 times)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
  • Our second day out on Yildiz II yesterday was outstanding. I can’t get the memory out of my mind. Why we didn’t “take a boat out” last year I will never know; but that was last year. Next time I will book three trips on Yildiz II, spaced throughout my holiday, and I will book before I fly, as today, Yenep’s next availability would be August 10th.

Captain Yenep and her brother Amet did us proud, with such ease and an incredible amount of fun. As soon as Yenep asked “Would you like to go to Kaputas?” I knew it was going to be blummin’ good. That would not only allow us to see Kaputas Beach from the sea, but give us a nice, long cruise right back across the bay.

I didn’t swim to shore at Kaputas as the waves were crashing in on the beach and I’m not a really strong swimmer, but I swam ashore for the mud bath on the beach later in the afternoon, swimming back to the boat with warrior stripes on my face planted there by Amet.

Leaving the boat at 6.15pm was bit of a wrench, but no more than all the other wrenches I’m going to have over the next 36 hours until the taxi comes.

What is for sure is that Abi Travel will collect us on Monday afternoon at 5.30pm. And until then, the things we need to do will have been planned with such precision, like all the holiday arrangements that Mrs A, my unsung hero, makes and delivers.

Taxi at 5.30pm Monday August 1st, therefore Chillies for a late lunch at 3pm. Mr Happy (or Ufuk, which is his proper name and the topic of much conversation as you can imagine) will see us off.  That will give us 4 or 5 hours tomorrow morning by the pool to take in a few more rays – and for me to sit on The Wall.

Monday will have started for me with a short walk along Kalamar Road and my final shave from Mehmet at Jasmine Coiffeur. That just leaves today, a roller coaster of a day.

First, Adam will come at 11.30am and take us for brunch at his restaurant on the road to Kas. We will take the laptop so his family can see the photos of our Day out to Demre with Adam last week. It really won’t matter what I eat, as that is not why I’m there, but I’m sure there will be some aubergine in there somewhere – and probably a whole one, stuffed. And it will taste wonderful.  We have to go for brunch as we have to fit two restaurants in on the same day. Tonight, our last evening in Kalkan, we will dine at Mussakka. A Table, other than Table 31 is booked for us, late.

After brunch today, we will return to the apartment, where Mrs A can have a well-deserved rest by the pool, deciding if she would like some more Pandora. I will go with The Lads to Kalkan Beach Park and “splash some cash” on some water sports. Sorted.

This year we set out to do a few more things – more shaves, take a boat out, try some new restaurants, and sample a beach club. We managed it quite well, in glorious weather, albeit we struggled not with the heat, but with high humidity on a couple of days.

Thanks to Enjoy Kalkan, we came with many suggestions of restaurants to try, but even then, we met someone who spoke about their favourites, as you do, and I did not recognise ONE of the names he mentioned.

New ones for us this year, were The Nar, Rendezvous, Chillies, Café Vita, Oz Adana, Meydan & Doyum. No wonder the shorts are tight. We enjoyed every occasion and not once did we have a bad meal. The only negative for me around this whole holiday has been the behaviour of a very small minority of my fellow countrymen – educated people, probably, who should know better -  when they communicate with our hosts. We are, after all, guests in someone else’s country. But I don’t want to give them any more air space. We reap what we sow.

So, when I arrive at the office in Grimsby on Tuesday morning, wearing a very tight-fitting suit and my colleagues ask me why I enjoyed Kalkan, what words can I use? It isn’t easy to pull it apart, as “the whole is greater than the sum of the parts”, as they say. But these words have summed it up for me, many times this holiday, flowing out of the iPOD as I sat there on The Wall, looking out across Kalkan Bay.

Now anytime my little world seems blue,
    I just have to look at you
    And every thing seems to be
    Some kind of wonderful

I know I can’t express
    This feeling of tenderness
    There’s so much I wanna say
    But right words don’t come my way

I only know when I’m in your embrace
    Then this world seems a better place
    And something happens to me
    And it’s some kind of wonderful*

I hope, you too, have a wonderful holiday and Enjoy Kalkan!

Antler

* Thanks Michael Buble, Crazy Love CD, last track, Some Kind of Wonderful

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=6067.0
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 12:28:59 PM by antler »

Offline Evadee

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Another great report Antler, you've almost reduced me to tears....!

Thank you for all your reports, you really have a talent for writing (all your reports are a joy to read) and all the information you have provided for newbies like me is invaluable.

Hope the trip home isn't too painful and your memories stay with you  :)

Offline tigertim

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
Well Antler what can one say.  All of the reports you have posted have been fantastic and makes such great reading so thank you so much!!

Im sure you will make the most of your last few hours in Kalkan.

I wont be back in Kalkan until September but your daily fix has really helped me tick a few more days off in my diary!!

Thanks again Antler and have a safe journey home and enjoy planning your 2011 trip to Kalkan

With best wishes

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
 :D Antler wonderful report but I think I've sussed a cunning plan to stay in Kalkan for a bit longer. " Taxi at 5.30pm Monday August 1st " :o

Offline Kuzu

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
Antler, just echoing others...you have an absolute talent for writing and reading your reports have kept me going until we return to Kalkan...just a shame you will be gone as we would have loved to have met you on "the Med".
Thanks for the memories!! (Safe trip back)

Offline Amndwr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
Hi Antler...

Hope your having a lovely brunch as I type... like most people logging onto this forum...we will miss your daily blog  :-\

Can't wait for the last couple of entries...

Amanda x  8)

Offline dancing ninja

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 15
    • Share Post
Antler you have had me captivated by your wonderful reports over the last two weeks , which i think everyone will agree with . We head out to Kalkan in a few weeks and will certainly be trying a few of your favourites.Enjoy your last days and thanks again .

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
Dear Antler - I will admit to being a wuss - I did cry!   That is the magical spell Kalkan has over us - I am still at work today (Sunday) - just taking a quick peek at the site (naughty).   Sorry, counting the days until I AM THERE!   Bon Voyage - here's to next year and many more.  We should all, allowing for the time change, have a collective toast on this site on New Years Eve. Thank you to all for bringing Kalkan to us in the UK.

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
what can I say Mr Antler,yet again brilliant reports,they make me feel like I am in Kalkan,thank you.
I keep saying this every time you are in Kalkan,you should write a booklet for First timers to Kalkan,but it could be a good Idea to print off all your reports(with your blessing of course) they would make a good read/guide before/while people are in Kalkan.
keep up the good work,have a great last few hours before you return to the grind stone,hope the shorts last out.
once again thank you for taking me home,in my mind at least,roll on october.  8)
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
Wow, thank you very much! It's a pleasure to write about something so good. I'm just in Chillies having one for medicinal purposes, as I went out with The Lads on a ringo this afternoon, from Indigo. Boy did it hurt. I'm still numb.

Mrs A is packing and we have to be in Mussakka in about two hours. TheTeam here in Chillies are getting ready to party at 3pm tomorrow. I bet you Mr Happy turns up in a blonde wig and belly dances? As for "Robson Green" - what will he do?  Mad guys!  But extremely good fun.

All the best,

Antler

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
Fantastic reports Antler, enjoy your last few hours in Kalkan and have a safe trip home. So glad you enjoyed the Yildiz2 boat trips, we will certainly have another trip with them next year.
Nicky

Offline gazman

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
thanks antler for all the fantastic reports over the last couple of weeks really enjoyed them.all the best mate.

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
Antler - your writing style and ability to tell a yarn, however simple the 'adventure' never fails to keep me reading to the last full stop. And just as when savoring a particularly tasty bottle of wine, I'm always disappointed when I get to the last drop.

We'll all miss your observations, humour and balance. But most of all, the sense that you really, truly enjoy every day of your time spent in Kalkan. Your stories are woven through the places you visit, the food you clearly adore - but most of through all the people you encounter - you bring it / them all to life!

I'd like to say a heartfelt thank you for having us all along to share your holiday. You've inspired me to try a few new things when we get there in a couple of months time.

I'm sure the rest of your readers will join me in saying that we hope you'll be back again very soon.

(As for the ill fitting suit - just do what you did with the shorts!)

L
if you can walk you can dance

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Antler a BIG THANK YOU for your wonderful reports that kept me enchanted every day of your stay and looking forward to the next.  I can't believe your holiday is over already and there will be no more till next year (will you be back - silly question?)  Look forward to seeing some of your photos so we can relive your experiences.  I think you deserve the keys to Kalkan for your obvious devotion to the place, your love of the people and the true pleasure you take in all it has to offer!  Antler I salute you :-*

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
Blinkin eck, Im filling up !  :( :'( :'( :'( :'( ;D

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Fidimax do you need a hankie or a bucket  ;)  ??

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
One Hanky and one bucket..........of Efes.   >:D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Antler's Kalkan 2013 Holiday: Thank You - and Goodbye!

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

27 Replies
Last post September 28, 2013, 11:36:38 AM
by antler
question
Holiday Reads 2010

Started by lorilou on General Discussion

10 Replies
Last post September 07, 2010, 09:50:33 AM
by lorilou
xx
Summer 2010 - our holiday by Marje and Poppy

Started by Marje40 on Holiday Reports and Reviews

6 Replies
Last post July 27, 2010, 10:09:42 AM
by Kalkan regular
xx
Teenagers View of a Kalkan Holiday - July 2010

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post August 10, 2010, 11:34:11 AM
by antler

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kalkan Harbour

Views: 3904
By: Bob & Jayne
moonlight bar