Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: mobile phones in kalkan  (Read 6980 times)

Offline craig3166

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
mobile phones in kalkan
« on: June 23, 2010, 02:58:23 PM »
Hi, some has said to me that it is cheaper to bring an unlocked mobile phone and buy a pay as you go sim card in kalkan, than using my own uk phone in turkey. Can anyone shed any light on this for me , and where to go for said sim card thanks craig..

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=5743.0

baklavabuddy

baklavabuddy
Re: mobile phones in kalkan
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 03:15:17 PM »
It used to be true, but then they blocked UK mobiles from working with Turkish SIM cards, so I bought a Turkish mobile. Not sure how up to date that information is now though, was a few years ago

Offline digi_dave

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 01:32:02 PM »
It used to be true, but then they blocked UK mobiles from working with Turkish SIM cards, so I bought a Turkish mobile. Not sure how up to date that information is now though, was a few years ago

That's stopped me next year then as I was going to buy a Turk sim card. Asda stung me £1.40 a min for calls this year
If hard work was such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have kept it for themselves?

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 02:33:25 PM »
We bought a cheap turkish phone from Baris (opp taxi rank)and just top it up when we are in kalkan..best way if you are planning on returning on a regular basis ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

baklavabuddy

baklavabuddy
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 04:24:01 PM »
Baris can also unlock the Turkish phone so that it can be used in the UK too- useful for internet banking

Offline craig3166

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 12:06:58 PM »
Thanks every one , I am now back home after a brilliant two weeks in Kalkan , I ended up buying a cheap phone from Asda's in the uk ( £15 ) and managed to get a sim card in kalkan which worked fine , topped it up with 50tl and it lasted the whole holiday with some credit left ,and that was with the wife using it to phone back home several times so was alot cheaper than taking my uk mobile. The only thing though was that the sim card was bought by a turkish friend of mine ,in his name . so not sure if i could of bought one . thanks again for all the comments

Offline turkeyfan

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 17
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
Craig, did you have to get the Asda phone unlocked?
Currently have a duplex apartment in Kiziltas which we visit as often as we can.

Offline ScotsinKalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 07:31:34 PM »
So does that mean you can use unlocked UK mobiles after all?

Offline michelle2

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 11:38:49 AM »
How much did you pay for the sim card?  If I was to buy a cheap mobile phone in Kalkan, how much would it cost?

Offline craig3166

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 06:44:26 PM »
Hi ,yes  i did check with Asda  that it was un locked and would work  with any sim card and it worked fine over in kalkan . Im not sure how much the sim card was as a turkish friend sorted it out for me in there name. as soon as i put the card in i had 5tl of credit on it and just topped it up with a further 50tl , which lasted the whole holiday and i still returned with 10-14 tl still in credit :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 07:13:43 PM »
your TL credit.....i think if you don't use it within a certain time it expires...we normally have some left but it has gone by our return :-\

Offline craig3166

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 09:11:50 AM »
I think your right  about that one B L i did get told i would need to top up every six months aswell or the sim card will expire , but i think you can do that online ,I will let every one know how successful that is .    Craig

Offline pixie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
An unlocked phone will work fine with a Turkish Sim but only for a couple of weeks. Last year mine lasted for just over 2 weeks In Turkey you have to Register the phone with the Sim card. It takes the authorities a while to catch up with it which is why it works OK initially. The registration cannot be done in Kalkan. The nearest place is Fetiye.

Offline pixie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 08:24:13 AM »
Lst year the mobile phone we bought in Kalkan also lasted about 2 weeks . We are in Kalkan for three weeks and find a turkish mobile more cost effective especially for local calls. Where and how do we get our phone registered in Fethye?

Offline craig3166

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 08:40:42 AM »
Not sure about that one pixie But had my English bought phone sorted in kalkan by a turkish friend ,he may of registered it in fethye ,i didnt ask sorry

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 09:28:40 AM »

Dont forget ıf you just want to make the odd phonecall when you are ın Kalkan ıts really cheap to make a call to the uk from the post offıce or phone shop - to a uk landlıne I usually pay 1 or 2 lıra for a call before lunchtıme lastıng at least 10mıns, ıts slıghtly more expensıve to a mobıle but stıll very good value.

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 09:36:31 AM »
Pixie I bought a mobile phone at the shop at the end of Kalamar Road about 3 years ago for around 40TL and it's still working perfectly.  Take the one that you bought in Kalkan back to the shop and have them check it out.  You should not have a problem with one purchased in Kalkan.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 03:21:49 PM by Charlie »

Offline pixie

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 02:52:16 PM »
Thank you Charlie.  Sorry I have made a mistake. We took an unlocked mobile phone with us to Kalkan and bought a pay as you go simcard from the shop by the roundabout. They were very helpful. After about 17 days it was blocked so we returned to the shop and were told ,correctly I think ,that they  cannot deal with it. We would need to go to Fethye to get it registered. I think this issue has been covered before but I cant find it on this forum. Can anyone tell me where to go in Fethye to register a uk bought phone. Can I do it?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Mobile Phones

Started by Griffo63 on General Discussion

11 Replies
Last post July 05, 2014, 01:54:22 PM
by Timm
xx
Mobile Phones - Again!!!

Started by maryjane on General Discussion

13 Replies
Last post March 13, 2012, 01:42:47 PM
by Painter Man
xx
Mobile phones in turkey

Started by BarbH on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 04:46:55 PM
by Rockykalamar
xx
Mobile and phones and Ipads .

Started by Darcy on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post September 10, 2013, 08:59:53 AM
by Kuzu

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal