Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: General observations  (Read 17862 times)

Offline Will

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: General observations
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2010, 06:37:57 AM »
Yesterday at 6.30 p.m. I was in Yali Supermarket.  A middle aged woman in a pink bikini was doing her shopping. She was far from the first flush of youth and judging by how she looked in her two piece, should have thought twice about wearing a bikini on the beach, let alone in the local supermarket.

The supermarket staff were discussing her in Turkish and their comments expressed amazement and disgust in equal measures.  As she was leaving, one of them asked me in Turkish, if I thought she was a prostitute , why else, he asked,  would she be shopping in the evening, in a bikini?

This illustrates the huge cultural divide here. Obviously she had given no thought to the offence her appearance may cause, or perhaps she didn't care.  I  thought  her appearance was distasteful and disrespectful, the local people who saw her had a much more damning judgement.  This is a Muslim country with conservative values and traditions, semi-nudity, away from the beach is  simply not acceptable and shows a total lack of regard for the values of our hosts in Turkey.

Will

Offline ian

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2010, 08:05:01 AM »
And that for me is the crux of the matter, what might be acceptable in Brighton or Blackpool is certainly not acceptable to Turkish people in their home town. It is disrespectful and demonstrates a total disregard for the culture and values of a foreign country where we are visitors. I think the local people show a level of tolerance that is way beyond what you would see in other Muslim countries and that is to their credit.

Offline kalkanbelle

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 31
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2010, 10:51:19 AM »
I live in Brighton and you wouldn't be allowed in any shop or supermarket wearing a bikini (women) or topless (men) but I don't know what it's like elsewhere?

I know people behave differently on holiday but if you choose to visit a muslim country then you should show some respect for that culture and not behave in a way that could offend.

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2010, 02:38:16 PM »
This is correct it's how you behave that counts not who you are......I can remember a huge party of chinless wonders allowing their kids to run riot in a harbourside restaurant...the adults just didn't care and allowed it to continue......manners cost nothing whoever you are.... :) :) 

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2010, 04:58:24 PM »
Its strange how some people keep banging on about "young " chavs ect in Kalkan without shirts,tattoos drinking beer and all the rest,for the last 9 days all the chavs I saw were in their 60s-70s walking around and in bars supermarkets and shops without shirts,including the missus forcing their 20 stone into shorts they bought 10 years ago,and one bloke in moonlight in the afternoon,no shirt,tattoos, drinking beer,shaved head and his sunglasses hanging on his nipple ring !
Are these people now the new super chavs of Kalkan ?
I will leave it to Kalkans elite to decide.   ;D   >:D
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline HoneyBunny

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2010, 06:09:17 PM »
IMHO, (and it is a very HO!), I really don't care what people look like, how old they are, what they weigh or what they wear. However on holiday -or in any other given situation, it does bother me if people are inconsiderate of others, are disrepectful or do not show good manners. This can range from being too loud for too long (especially loud bad language), not moderating their children's behaviour, being rude to waiters or drunken boorish actions. I would be genuinely mortified if anything I was doing was causing someone else to enjoy their holiday/experience less or making them feel uncomfortable/annoyed. I personally don't like swimwear or no shirts in shops/restaurants/bars - I had a nasty experience when I sat on a padded seat in a restaurant only to find the back was wet with the previous occupant's back sweat!! Eeeugh! If shops/restaurants/bars want to put up discreet signage stating that swimwear is not allowed and/or shirts must be worn, I would assume they can do that?

But hey ho, it would be a dull old world if we were all the same. Happy holidays everyone - will be there a week on Monday and thoroughly looking forward to it - whoever we may meet. xoxoxxo :angel:

Offline PACHSU

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2010, 07:19:19 AM »
Have a great holiday Honey Bunny and make sure you keep that tattoo covered up at all times.  :laugh:

Offline HoneyBunny

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2010, 08:10:05 PM »
Thank v much! Don't worry, I'll keep my Kappa trackie top on all the time in public! :laugh:

But I am bringing my England flag and ipod loaded with footie toons heeheehee!

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2010, 10:26:12 PM »
After tonight I would forget the England flag  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline PACHSU

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2010, 09:27:34 AM »
Thank v much! Don't worry, I'll keep my Kappa trackie top on all the time in public! :laugh:

Kappa is oh so last season darling - I've purchased my new summer wardrobe from Lonsdale - oh so lush

Offline Ares

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2010, 09:49:02 AM »

Kappa is oh so last season darling - I've purchased my new summer wardrobe from Lonsdale - oh so lush

REPORT TO MODERATOR ;D

i think a lot of people don't understand the cultural differences, and some of them will never make an effort to.

whilst i don't believe people should be forced to adhere to a dress code i think its only respect that you adopt some of the local cultures - something unfortunately the British aren't the best at. i remember many years ago visiting prague with school and half of them wanting to go to mcdonalds :/
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 09:51:01 AM by Ares »

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2010, 06:18:37 PM »
You can rely on Brits abroad   :) :) :) 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 06:20:30 PM by misty »

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2010, 06:53:30 PM »
What a terrible Heinous crime..........dickdastardly would be proud!! :P
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes

Offline PACHSU

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2010, 12:10:55 PM »

REPORT TO MODERATOR ;D

i think a lot of people don't understand the cultural differences, and some of them will never make an effort to.

whilst i don't believe people should be forced to adhere to a dress code i think its only respect that you adopt some of the local cultures - something unfortunately the British aren't the best at. i remember many years ago visiting prague with school and half of them wanting to go to mcdonalds :/

I take it then you're not a great fan of the Lonsdale summer 2010 collection?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
General location

Started by sidari on Accommodation and Hotels

3 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 12:06:47 PM
by Villa Pisces
xx
General info on Kalkan

Started by wiseyorky on General Discussion

15 Replies
Last post January 18, 2013, 02:54:04 PM
by Charlie
xx
Pedicure, Manicure and general refurbishment

Started by bluefudge11 on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post June 20, 2008, 12:12:18 PM
by bluefudge11
recycled
Kalkan General advice and info. Check here before posting!!!!

Started by Chucky on General Discussion

10 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 02:42:13 PM
by Chucky

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal