Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: General observations  (Read 17863 times)

Offline mikem

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
General observations
« on: June 03, 2010, 09:45:14 AM »
Hi folks, just retuened from Kalkan after a break of over 3 years and was absolutely delighted to be remembered by so many people after all this time. No question that they are some of the nicest people you could meet. Stayed at the Pasha Apartments on Kalamar Road and cannot reccomend highly enough. If you can get in then go for it. Yes we saw major changes as was expected, but never thought we'd see traffic lights in Kalkan!  Fortunately the old town remains unchanged and is as charming as ever. Still good restaurants such as Rami's and Saffron and the addition of new places such as Chapter One. Which brings up the subject of costs. This time last year we were in the Bodrum area and were paying around 120-130TL for a meal for 4 people. Last week we were paying the same for 2 people! Now I know Kalkan is far from the cheapest place to go but greed seems to be setting in, admitted by several residents. If this continues I feel that they will outprice themselves.
Much as we couldn't wait to go back and thoroughly enjoyed our stay, we're still reflecting as to whether we will return. We were thinking of a stay for a month in March/April and were quoted 1200 POUNDS to rent a property. I think not.   Hope we do return but at present the jury is out.  :-\

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=5608.0

Offline whiteonyx

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Re: General observations
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 12:21:06 PM »
The best way to deal with the exspensive restaurants is to eat in the many cheaper places and support them.
With reference to rental prices, our rates have stayed the same for 5 years, remembering that electricity prices havve escalated over 3 fold during at time.
We spent 4 days in the south of France last year, spent more in 4 days than i would in 2 weeks in Kalkan.
5 euro's for a small beer or a small wine, 40 euro'sfor a basic 3 course meal.

Offline pasha

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 09:06:22 AM »
cost of living in Kalkan generally increases every year.  food, electricity, petrol etc etc.  As has been said many times before on this website, there are 6 months to make a living, if a living cannot be made then the restaurants/bars/cafes will not be able to open and as such the place will grind to a halt....  business rent is expensive to start with then add to that the cost of staff and general running costs and you will find where the price is coming from.  I think that to say it is greed in most cases is untrue.  Have a look at the restaurant owners... how many of them own their own houses or cars!!! at best they are making a living most are scraping a living and the less fortunate dont make it at all.

If you love Kalkan as it is with a mix of cheap and cheerful, mid end and top end eateries then the only way to keep it that way is to try to patronise all of them...

I live in Kalkan all year round and where possible even buy most of my clothes here, although i could send for them from  the UK or buy them all in Fethiye which would definitely be cheaper... however i like the fact that there are a few clothes shops here and unless we use  them, eventually they will close.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 09:26:09 AM »
Many parts of turkey have 6 months to make a living......many are much cheaper(this is our 23 rd year kalkan,25 years Turkey..many parts)......I feel prices are oiked because the tourists that go to Kalkan are percieved to be rich,Many of us are not we just like kalkan...Mrs L was made redundant  and now has a lower paid job..i have had no pay rises for the last 2 years but consider myself lucky..Everything has gone up here as well...i will be arriving tonight and will do my best to boost the economy whist not being in the upper end rooftops etc ;)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline michelle2

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 10:57:02 AM »
Good for you and very well said!  Things are tough for many here in the UK and it is nice to have a well earned break to look forward to and as much as I enjoy my holidays in Kalkan I do feel at times that they are pricing themselves out of the market, this may be through no fault of their own but due to high prices and rent etc it may come to a point where alot of people will not be able to holiday in Kalkan.

Offline mikem

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 08:56:07 AM »
My thanks to Blue Lizard and Michelle2 as they have seen the point of the comments. This wasn't said to slag people off but to point out that it isn't just Kalkan that has price increases on everyday goods and services. The same increases apply across Turkey in general. While I accept that a limited time is available to the tourist trade most people also have winter jobs. We are perceived to be rich but we also have exactly the same pressures on our lives and pockets.
Thank you for your remarks and to repeat, much as I love the place and people, the jury remains out regretably. :-\

Offline kim21

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 05:48:00 AM »
What's great about kalkan is they pluck the prices out of the air,
and the Brits just pay with a smile.
 Why not get the money from the tourist if they're willing to pay
never buy a house anywhere without an independent surveyors report

Offline tonik1945

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 8
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 06:56:17 AM »
This thread is making me cross. Why do we always expect things to be ultra cheap when we go on holiday. I would rather stay in Kalkan with its selection of restaurants etc and it is cheaper than many other countries. The people work extremely hard over the 6 months and still have a smile and a welcome for us tourists. And no I don't have a lot of money, I don't have a partner so it is more expensive for me. I appreciate Kalkan and it's people for what they offer.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 11:59:06 AM »
well said tonik.....anyone would think we were forced to go to Kalkan!
as is frequently pointed out on this forum there is a huge range of restaurants in Kalkan to suit every taste and pocket

Offline Sheez

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 01:49:57 PM »
You pay for what you get in life........if you want Marmaris prices that's what Kalkan will become!

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 02:52:14 PM »
Not sure I agree with the logic, surely the more people downgrade to kebabs and pizza the more of these restaurants will open and the more Kalkan will start to resemble Marmaris.

Offline PACHSU

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 03:06:55 PM »
What's wrong with Marmaris?

Offline olive

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 03:17:38 PM »
Dear oh dear, down grading to kebabs......a main staple of Turkish cuisine....what an awful thought  :o

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 05:48:52 PM »
Nothing wrong with Marmaris, I went there a few times, when we used to tour around Turkey by coach for our holiday's and it seemed ok.  However, it does seem to be many people's idea of hell (and there are a lot of kebab shops). 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 06:12:18 PM by alantj »

Offline dylanleeds

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 06:56:15 PM »
I think this thread is leading to kebabs and that is my speciality .plenty of chilli and plenty of salad that's what we like. Is there any good doner kebab houses in kalkan to lay on top of the 15 bottles of efes before hand ;D :D :D ;)

Offline PACHSU

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 07:06:14 PM »
Large or small bottles?!!!

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 07:11:04 PM »
Kebabs will lead to Red Lion pubs....full Sunday roast dinners.....football shirt brigade...(tucked into shorts not worn)......etc etc yes there are some expensive restaurants but also some budget eateries all of which do not detract the charm of Kalkan.......you know what your getting and the cost the choice is yours.... ;)   

Offline TJ

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 07:16:33 PM »
It might be an idea if someone in the know posts the details of the more pocket friendly eateries of note. That way newbies (like me in August) could start there and work up, so to speak

;)

Offline Derya

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 07:47:04 PM »
Have to agree with Olive on this one and have to say that up until a couple of years ago you could often hear the locals complaining that you couldn't get a Kebab in Kalkan, they are a more than welcome addition. Misty and Alantj, Kebabs are served all over Turkey (strange that being a Turkish speciality) and believe me I have never seen a 'red lion' in the vicinty of kebab houses in places such as Ankara, Izmir, Istanbul, Aydin, Denizli, Mugla, Afyon................................

Offline PACHSU

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 10:39:47 PM »
Can't be long then until an Irish bar opens - you do tend to find them in the most obscure places.

A few pints of the Nigerian Lager followed by a kebab with all the extras. That does sound good.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
General location

Started by sidari on Accommodation and Hotels

3 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 12:06:47 PM
by Villa Pisces
xx
General info on Kalkan

Started by wiseyorky on General Discussion

15 Replies
Last post January 18, 2013, 02:54:04 PM
by Charlie
xx
Pedicure, Manicure and general refurbishment

Started by bluefudge11 on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post June 20, 2008, 12:12:18 PM
by bluefudge11
recycled
Kalkan General advice and info. Check here before posting!!!!

Started by Chucky on General Discussion

10 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 02:42:13 PM
by Chucky

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal