Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Driving in Kalkan  (Read 10134 times)

Offline FrancisDonald

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Driving in Kalkan
« on: April 26, 2010, 10:01:31 AM »
Hi all,

This is mine and my partner''s first time to Kalkan, and driving abroad for that matter! For that reason I''m a little bit worried about what driving is like over there? Are the roads quite narrow in Kalkan? Are there plenty of places to park in and around town?
Has anyone driven from Dalaman airport to Kalkan - if so, any important tips?
We are staying in the Hotel Pirat, which looks amazing and quite central. We''re going on Thursday and I can''t wait!
Sorry for all the questions, am a bit of a worrier! Any advice would be great.  :)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=5390.0
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 09:44:57 AM by FrancisDonald »

Offline jofoss

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Driving in Kalkan
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 10:35:19 AM »
Hi,

If you go to this sites main Home page you will find info regarding driving directions to Kalkan from Dalaman Airport and Maps. Also advice about driving in Turkey, not something I have done myself, preferring a private transfer from Dalaman and then using public transport to get out and about.

By the way the Pirat is very central and is located in the harbour.

Enjoy your holiday. :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 10:45:11 AM by jofoss »

Offline Tyros

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 02:35:16 PM »
Hi,
We always hire a car for part of our holiday in Kalkan - will be our seventh time in June.  We also love staying at the Pirat because it is central and the old part of the hotel is virtually in the harbour; also Pirat 1 has a lift. Always able to park by the hotel. We have never had any problems driving in Turkey, most main roads are fine, the minor roads/tracks are interesting. We have driven to most places along the coast between Antalya and Dalaman and beyond.  We love driving inland and invariably visit Elmali for a day - very cheap shopping! In June we are spending 2 weeks at the Pirat and then driving to Dalyan for a further week before driving to Dalaman. We have been stopped by the Traffic police several times as they do regular checks on vehicles etc.. so always carry your passport and make sure you know were the vehicle documents are in the car (usually behind the sun visor). Apart from major towns/cities such as Antalya and Fetiyhe there is very little traffic. Remember to drive on the right which I always find ok in a left hand drive car - just take care at roundabouts - the Turkish drivers don't always give way as they should (giving right of way to traffic coming from the left). The maximum speed limit in Turkey is 56mph (90Kph) and in towns/villages 31mph (50Kph) unless indicated, again Turkish drivers don't always comply.
Finally make sure you have a good map.
Have fun and enjoy it.
Regards
Tyros

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 03:09:38 PM »
Sorry to be picky, but I think it might be important - shouldn't roundabout priority be to drivers coming onto the roundabout from the right?

Offline howmad

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
Yes.

Offline Tyros

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 06:22:31 PM »
Hi,
When you drive on the left as we do then yes you give way to traffic coming from the right.  However when in Turkey you drive on the right therefore on a roundabout you give way to traffic coming from the left. Remember in Turkey you go round a roundabout anti-clockwise whereas we go round a roundabout clockwise well at least I do  You can now see why I made the point.  Anyway thanks for reading my rather long screed. All this is making me giddy I wish I could have a large Efes!!!

Cheers
Tyros

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 06:32:23 PM »
My point was that the rules are different in Turkey.  Even when you are on the roundabout, you have to give way to what is coming from the right, NOT to traffic already on the roundabout and coming from your left.  I need an Efes too now!

Offline Tyros

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 06:40:59 PM »
Yes you are right - just be very wary on roundabouts because as you say they are treated differently in Turkey - I'll have to make do with a pint of Bitter now
Cheers
Tyros

Offline headroom

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
  • Everyone smiles in the same language
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 06:46:21 PM »
eniste is right if you are actually on the roundabout you should give way to traffic coming onto it, therfore traffic from the right, if you don't you may get the rolling of the eyes of the offended driver, or even worse a dented car. :(
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

Offline Tyros

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 07:10:08 PM »
Thanks for putting me right - I think that the best advice for driving in Turkey is to drive very defensively and make no asumptions as to what other drivers may do.
Cheers
Tyros

Offline headroom

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
  • Everyone smiles in the same language
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 07:59:57 PM »
not just in Turkey, my dad taught me to drive (about 300 years ago) he told me
" just remember everyone on the road is a silly b##ger bar thee" Good advice!

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 09:24:22 PM »
Its not too difficult as there is usually not too much traffic around - however

assume all other drivers are not looking out and assume they may / will do unexpected manoeuvres -   
     stay well back

never ever give way - if you stop to let someone go first you will cause mayhem as no one ever does it

never flash your lights as it is the opposite of the UK - here it means danger - get out of my way !!

when someone indicates [and they occasionally do] to turn left they may
           turn left immediately
           stop in the road and you overtake on the inside
           or they may then pull into the right and wait whilst you overtake and then they will turn left
     be advised to slow right down and try to anticipate their intentions - never assume what they might do

don''t drink and drive - if you have a passenger with you the alcohol limit is ZERO - if you are alone you
     are allowed one Efes or equivalent

you should outside of the village always wear a seat belt otherwise you may be fined and always carry
     your UK driving licence [a photo one and original]- your passport [or a copy] and the car''s papers

if you see other drivers flashing their lights at you as they pass on the other side of the road it means a
     Police road check ahead

speed limit normally 90 kph less in towns and through built up areas

Otherwise not too much to worry about - just be very aware and let me know when you are here so I can keep out of the way  ;D

« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 11:24:33 AM by kevincat99 »

Offline Will

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 08:19:27 AM »
Very sensible and practical advice from Kevincat.  I endorse all he says having been driving in Turkey for more than 15 years.

Yesterday I spoke to someone who had just passed his driving test here. He took it in Kinik, a nearby village where there are no traffic lights, hills or roundabouts.  The actual driving part of the test took 5 minutes, followed by a three part, three hour written exam.

As I drove out of Kalkan yesterday on my way to Akbel, I witnessed the following, two cars and a truck going through the lights on red, even though I had right of way, I had to take preventive action to avoid a collision, waiting at the lights, the car in front rolled back approx 2 metres when pulling away - the Turkish driving test does not include use of the handbrake and just to make my day perfect as I drove up the hill to Akbel, the car in front suddenly did a U turn, no signal, no indication. 

The most important point very well explained by Kevin cat is the business of turning left.  Take careful note of what he says and do not be tempted to follow the advice of Tyros, on roundabouts, the absolute rule, no exceptions, is give way to the right.

For somebody who has never driven overseas before, my advice would be to be extremely cautious at all times and never exceed the drink drive limit, the Jandarma have been out breathalysing drivers four nights out of the last six.

Will

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 09:01:41 AM »
Some very sound advice here.  My father was a driving examiner in the UK for many years and I hope that I remembered much of his advice, primarily that you should treat all other road users as eejits (he was from Belfast) and always be ready for them to do something daft.  He was for a while tasked with considering which countries should qualify for a UK exchange licence automatically.  Visiting me in Malaysia certainly eased his decision about their chances.  I once had to take a test in Vietnam, during which they deliberately told me to drive into a no-entry street.  Only when I refused to do so and stopped did they applaud and tell me to try to turn around and resume the test!  The office are still probably picking bicycle parts out of the front grille.

Another friend took a test in Ghana, where opening the door was a major part of the practical test.  It took two tubs of Cow Gum and a box of biros to cement the pass, but he then got a UK exchange licence!

I would recommend a visit to Kaya or Piazza, both for their hospitality and the chance to watch procedures at the Kalamar Road roundabout.  It may not clarify the rules, but will certainly persuade you to follow the advice above and be very careful when driving here.

Offline kalkankiki

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 09:08:11 AM »
My top tip is always beware of the renault 12s on the road, esp the station wagon variety.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 09:46:53 AM »
Best tip ever that one!

I would also like to say thanks to the Turkish drivers who flashed me so I slowed down before I got to it  ;)

Offline Alfaman

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 06:06:08 PM »
So its priorite a droite at roundabouts! Agree with Eniste that a dull day can be brightened up with an Efes in Kaya watching who will give way on the roundabout and seeing the so called dual carriageway used in both directions on both sides!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Driving in Kalkan

Started by craig3166 on General Discussion

27 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 10:34:45 AM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Driving from UK to Kalkan

Started by clarel on Flights and Travel

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 05:40:48 PM
by kevincat99
xx
Driving to Kalkan

Started by The Engineer on Flights and Travel

5 Replies
Last post March 01, 2015, 11:01:06 AM
by Chris_S
recycled
Driving in Kalkan

Started by shorey on General Discussion

4 Replies
Last post August 04, 2008, 10:41:19 AM
by shorey

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal