Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Vaccinations  (Read 6830 times)

Offline EricAlexander

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Vaccinations
« on: March 25, 2010, 06:36:51 AM »
Hi, my wife and 2 kids aged 15 and 12 are going to Kalkan in July. Do we need any vacs? Some people say yes and some say No. We are staying in a villa "villa white cloud", and I was wondering would my kids have trouble mixing with other kids or will they feel excluded because they are out of the way. Anyway, Everything I`ve read about this place is good. i`ve never been to Turkey before so I`m really looking forward to it. I am also a celiac. Would the caterers in Turkey know of this condition. If not, not to worry, If the foods good, I`ll eat it anyway and suffer later. Hope my Doc does`nt read this. Any Info would be appreciated.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=5207.0
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:43:13 AM by EricAlexander »

Offline Will

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Vaccinations
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 06:58:12 AM »
The medical advice from UK sources is that no vaccinations are required for Turkey and I know of nobody that holidays here or lives here who has vaccinations.

There are mosquitos here but not malaria carrying but their bites can still be irritating and uncomfortable so it is worth preventing bites by using an insect repellant all the time. There are 3 local pharmacies in Kalkan which all carry antihistamine gels and tablets if you do get an irritating bite or sting.

I am not aware of any gluten free products in the local supermarkets but sticking to a gluten free diet here is very easy.  All the local restaurants concentrate on fresh produce and if you avoid dishes with a sauce which may have been made with flour, you should  have no problems. Although it is unlikely many people will be aware of the disease, if you explain what you can and can't eat, all the local restaurants will go out of their way to help.  You will be astonished at the levels of friendliness and helpfulness from all local people.

You say that your children may feel excluded because they are out of the way at the villa you have chosen.  How much time are you planning to spend in your villa? If you are out and about at the local beaches, beach clubs and other attractions, I am sure they will meet other children.

Hope you all have a really great holiday, although you are being very sensible to check out as much as you can in advance, this is a very civilised place and you will find all the ingredients for a perfect holiday.

Will

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 10:46:15 AM »
my daughter has been on holiday with us to Kalkan 4 times and has found it easy to stick to a gluten free diet. she has found it easy to select appropriate things from menus without having to do much asking or explaining......enjoy your holiday!

Offline fidgetliz

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 12:53:48 PM »
We stayed in Villa White Cloud last July, it's a beautiful villa very spacious and clean and the views from the master bedroom and swimming pool are gorgeous. The views over the bay to Kalkan are stunning and we loved watching the boats coming and going and also the people water skiing. There is always something to see and some evenings there were fireworks. The owner was very friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. We arrived at nearly midnight and he met us at the petrol station near the traffic lights and showed us to the villa. We would never have found it without him. There were a number of children around in other villas but it was very peaceful and quiet alot of the time. There is a small shop just down the road and we ate at Bob's cafe which is above the shop a couple of times. They even delivered a meal one night when we had been on a long day out. I'm sure you will enjoy your stay in this villa our kids certainly did. Liz

Offline elainecris

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 06:41:11 PM »
Hi there, Some areas of Turkey do require vaccinations but these are in the far east of the country, nothing required specifically in Kalkan. Reference your need for Gluten Free meals, I agree with everyone, the choice is amazing so it will not be hard to avoid gluten and still eat remarkably well. However, my mother-in-law has a gluten allergy so I have a natural habit of keeping my eyes peeled for gluten-free products. Whilst not in Kalkan, on my last visit I did see a really good range of items at a supermarket in Kas (along the coast about 36km). As you are in a villa and therefore presumably self catering at least some of the time, it may be worth a visit early on in the holiday. As you drive into Kas centre, there is a roundabout, if I recall correctly, it was the first supermarket on the right after a right turn at the roundabout. They had gluten free pasta, bread mixes etc. 

Hope this helps! Have a great holiday, prepare to fall in love in Kalkan!  Elaine.

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 09:17:41 AM »
The supermarket in Kas is called Migros.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

recycled
Vaccinations

Started by Toni on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post June 04, 2008, 08:15:55 PM
by Brooksie

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal