Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: First and second day, (first impressions)  (Read 10426 times)

Offline Kefgirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
First and second day, (first impressions)
« on: October 06, 2009, 04:30:50 PM »
Well, what can I say?
We arrived at Dalaman at 1.30pm Mon 5th, and after a 1hr 30min transfer by a Jensen Button wannabe (Pete nearly had to change his trousers!) We arrived in Paradise  :)
The Kulube Hotel is great, staff very attentive, but discreet.
The weather is fabulous (30 in the SHADE today!)
Kalkan is everything the Enjoy Kalkan Forum said it was.
Last night we had a wander in town and ate at Kaya. Very impressed with the service, the ambience and the quality.
We were a bit shattered, after having to get up at 3.30 for our lift to Manchester, so didn't stay out late.
The food though, was excellent. We had the mixed Mezes to start (a sharer) at 23 tl. Pete then had the Bass and said it was sublime. I had the Kofte (Turkish meatballs) and they too were wonderful.
The wine we had was Angora, a lovely, soft red.
Today we've lazed about on the sunbeds, developing our tans.
Efes is a revelation! Pete is a real beer fan, and has always been disappointed by Mythos in Greece. He really likes the Efes though, which is great.
Tomorrow, we're doing the Lazy Day at Sea, which we're really looking forward to.
Tonights dinner will be at Alternatif, which the barman assures us is typical Turkish style food.
I will post a report.
I've had two Efes on an empty stomach and am finding it hard to type!
This place is the best and I've made friends with a beautiful black cat, so have had my "Kitty-Fix"   ;D

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=4530.0
Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Offline The Engineer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
    • The Engineer
  • Owner: Yes
Re: First and second day, (first impressions)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 04:42:20 PM »
Thanks for the post Reygirl it has wetted my appetite. Glad to hear you're enjoying it, we arrive on Monday so save some effes. Hope the weather holds.

M

Offline The Engineer

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
    • The Engineer
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 04:44:48 PM »
Sorry I meant Kefgirl (do you think anyone will notice)

M

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 05:28:05 PM »
Well thanks for that!! you certainly know how to make a boy envious kefgirl! glad you like Kalkan and are finding it as the majority of us said ;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 05:33:29 PM by blue lizard »
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline helen1

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 3
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 07:16:58 PM »
Glad you're enjoying it so far. Have a great day tomorrow and keep that sun shining for me - I arrive on 16th!

Offline Reygirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 9
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 08:40:13 PM »
Yes Engineer - I noticed!!! And wish I was Kefgirl right now...   :(

Offline itstime

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 46
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 09:37:03 PM »
Fly out tomorrow :D
Maybe see you there Kefgirl and save some sunshine for us!!

Offline lorilou

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
    • space sense
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 11:23:58 AM »
 ;D Thanks for the great 'first day' report - fly out on Monday - counting the hours!
Enjoy the rest of your holiday ...
L
if you can walk you can dance

Offline Kefgirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 04:04:15 PM »
Thank you all for your replies (it's so friendly on this forum!)
We had our first proper wander around Kalkan last night. What an interesting, buzzing and atmospheric place.
So many shops, cafes, bars and restaurants, the character of the Town felt just right, we were, and are enthralled.
Had a look in several shops and were impressed with how un-pushy the staff are. This also applies to the guys outside the restaurants and bars, just a friendly, gentle invitation, no real pressure, which we really appreciate.
After a while, we found Alternatif (just behind the Mosque)
It has a really good ambience, the staff extremely nice and the food was excellent.
Pete had the Alternatif Salad to start (quite a surprise, it was hot!) However, he loved it. He then had the leg of lamb, which came with lots of veg. He tells me it was blissful.
I had the BBQ aubergine to start, really good, with a great smokey taste and then the falafels with salad.
We've been scoring everything, including the ambience, (or as we call it the ambulance!) as well as value.
We give Alternatif 4.5 out of 5 for everything except service, which scored 5. Can't say fairer than that!

Todays "Lazy Day at Sea" with Captain Simon aboard, Nergis I, was absolutely brilliant. They only take 8 people, it was SO relaxing, we stopped at 3 coves for a swim in the cerulean/turquoise warm water and had a really nice lunch on board. I'd definitely recommend this trip. So much so, we'll probably do it again before we go home.
The weather is glorious, reaching 32 today, I hope it lasts for those of you who are coming soon.
I feel so relaxed now, it's like someone has removed my bones!
We're eating here at the Kulube tonight, so no mad rushing to catch the free 8pm shuttle bus to town.
Just going to get a nice cold Efes.............. ;)

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 04:33:30 PM »
Lovely report and top marks for the use of cerulean.  I'll be back when I have looked it up.

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 04:40:38 PM »
Yes, another terrific report. Personally I'd say "aquamarine" rather than cerulean but who's going to split hairs? ;-)

Offline Enişte

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 05:01:32 PM »
I could be nasty, but it's just too simple!

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 05:17:56 PM »
Cheeky!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 05:33:16 PM »
Is a Cerulean a skinny Ceru? ::)

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 05:36:15 PM »
Keep the reports coming, it's cheering me up in Surrey where you can't see 20 yards in front of because of the rain ;D
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Brooksie.loves.Efes

Offline Firecat

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 27
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 07:08:40 PM »
Oooo yes Kefgirl, you will be delighted to know that it is chucking it down in Blighty! How I envy you  >:D <--nearest thing to green eyed monster smilie
Cat on a hot tin roof

Offline clara48

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 08:05:58 PM »
It almost seems surreal to hear that you're out there basking in the sun and we're here clad in jumpers with the rain drizzling outside and the nights drawing in already. Worse still went shopping and the shops are already teeming with Christmas paraphernalia  >:(. Hope you have a great time and make the most of all that glorious sunshine 8) and don't forget to have a nice cold Efes for all us Kalkan addicts on here. Enjoy every minute after all the British winter is certainly long enough. HAVE FUN!!  ;D

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 08:43:21 AM »
Clara..i'm glad you've put some clothes on!!  :-*

Offline Kefgirl

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
An update from Paradise............
On Thursday we explored the town and the market, stopping for lunch at Sofra on the roof terrace.
We shared a mixed mezes and relaxed in the glorious sunshine.
Then we went up to Nur, to check it out prior to the Blues night. Had a warm welcome from Baris, the owner/manager, who is also the drummer in the blues/rock band.
That evening we had a wonderful dinner at Atlantis Terrace, where we tried "The Priest Fainted" as a starter. This had intrigued us and we really enjoyed this stuffed aubergine delight.   :)   Then on to Nur, for the said blues night, which was packed out and went down really well with everyone.
I can testify to the powerful anaesthetic qualities of Angora red! We had two bottles at Nur, then walked back to the Kulube. "feeling no pain" as the saying goes.
I woke up the next morning with a huge blister under my foot, which only then started hurting !  :o

The thing which stands out most to us is the genuine feeling of friendliness and the first class hospitality from the people in the shops, bars and restaurants.
I can honestly say, we've never felt so welcome and like honoured guests.
Can highly recommend the recently opened Mussaka restaurant, just along from Moonlight bar, we had a super meal there.
Last night, Saturday, was the best yet. After drinks at Mojito, we had dinner in Saffron (right next door to PTT)
we were blown away by the food, the fantastic atmosphere, the music and most especially the truly amazing welcome and attention to detail here.
This is demonstrated by the loos! In the Ladies, there was 2 types of handwash, face wipes, hand-cream, Nivea, body spray, hairspray, tissues and even 4 types of nail-polish and mascara!!
As the evening went on, women were offered pashminas to keep off any chill (there was no chill actually) When we asked for the bill, we were presented with some of the best Turkish Delight I've ever tasted.
It'll be ahard act to follow, so I'm looking forward to tonights venue.
I'm afraid Kalkan has spoiled us for our annual trip to Kefalonia, which we do every May.  It makes us feel, when doing a comparison, that the Kefalonians feel as if they're doing you a favour by serving you (but I'm sure they don't really)  Having said that, the food here is 3000 leagues above Kefalonias, and we may well start coming here every May instead!

Offline AllanChris

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2009, 09:48:36 PM »
Hi Cathy, we shall be in Kalkan in 2 weeks  ;D.  So glad you are having a great time, and enjoyed The Nur Music night. When we were in Kalkan last May I was able to sit in on the drums for a few numbers, great fun. Paul, the guitarist in my band and his family are coming with us this time so hopefully we can sit in together. He is such a good player, so its a shame you won't be there when we are. As you say Baris is such a nice guy, so I'm glad the music nights are still going well. Did you notice the amazing (?)
manic dancing barman?, such a happy chap.

Hope the rest of your holiday is as great, all the best Allan.

ps The Loos at Ibo's Restaurant are spectacular too!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 09:50:23 PM by AllanChris »
Keep On Rockin' In The Free World!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

night

Views: 4220
By: irfan
kalkan cats